test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is the Scimitar more powerful and adaptable then the Galaxy X/Bortas

yomatofanyomatofan Member Posts: 90 Arc User
If all the dreadnoughts are supposed to be "balanced" like the D'Deridex is supposed to be the Romulan mirror to the Negh'var and Galaxy. Then WHY is the Scimitar about 10 times more powerful with a better tactical layout, better consoles and superior firepower. Anybody notice how ships like the Galaxy-X Dreadnought have been shafted again!

Why has there been no update to both Klingon and Federation Dreadnoughts (Possibly the Odyssey because its a 3 pack) to be competitive with this new ship.

Bet Cryptic won't do this... they are having too much fun milking the Romulan fanbase now. Hi Klinks, we're the Federation, we had our day but now we are going to join you in mediocrity.
Post edited by yomatofan on

Comments

• amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Your signature has oh-so-important italics and quotes your own self and a canned complaint. I know quotes are all the rage right now in making things seem more important than they are, but you'd likely be taken more seriously if you removed it from your signature altogether.
  • yomatofanyomatofan Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Your signature has oh-so-important italics and quotes your own self and a canned complaint. I know quotes are all the rage right now in making things seem more important than they are, but you'd likely be taken more seriously if you removed it from your signature altogether.

How is that relevant, its what I happen to believe about the state of the community in the game. But this is not relevant to the topic at hand. Why is the Scimitar VASTLY superior to the Bortas and the poor Galaxy X Dreadnought which has never seen the light of day post-Fleet ships.

I thought these ships were all Dreadnoughts so they are all supposed to be highly similar except for their race's preferred profession.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Your making an assumption... Get yourself a Scim pack and find out for certain before running around with your hands flailing screaming the sky is falling. The Scim Dreadnaught still has to deal with the issue of lower power levels.

Folks that go shelling out the $50 or so to get the pack are paying for what they hope MAY be an advantage, but are really paying to get a really cool looking ship to play.

I notice the Oddy, and Bort are far from dominating PvP or PvE combat.. the Scim will be no different.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited July 2013
    yomatofan wrote: »
    How is that relevant, its what I happen to believe about the state of the community in the game. But this is not relevant to the topic at hand. Why is the Scimitar VASTLY superior to the Bortas and the poor Galaxy X Dreadnought which has never seen the light of day post-Fleet ships.

I thought these ships were all Dreadnoughts so they are all supposed to be highly similar except for their race's preferred profession.

It IS relevant, because a complaint thread that has the icing of a complaint wrapped in pretentious quotation marks (implying that someone important said it) is distracting and silly. It'd be a more effective post without it.
    edited July 2013
    Your making an assumption... Get yourself a Scim pack and find out for certain before running around with your hands flailing screaming the sky is falling. The Scim Dreadnaught still has to deal with the issue of lower power levels.

Folks that go shelling out the $50 or so to get the pack are paying for what they hope MAY be an advantage, but are really paying to get a really cool looking ship to play.

I notice the Oddy, and Bort are far from dominating PvP or PvE combat.. the Scim will be no different.

Actually, I'm more concerned with the Galaxy-X which has been shafted since Fleet Vessels were released with the continual excuse of "technical issues" for why there is no Fleet version. However they managed to work out the Scimitar's "spreading wings" didn't they but not how to get a Galaxy X to saucer separate correctly.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    its more powerfull, cause cryptic wants everyone to scramble to buy it.. they have kind of admitted to this in the past.. i believe captain geko said somehting like to this effect about lock box ships.. but i doubt it would stop there.. pay to win for the win.. (this is one of many reasons i quit the game..)
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Scimatar isn't really more powerful then these ships, just different. The foolish Scimatar captain who tries to use Thaleron pulse against a Bortas with all three consoles will die a painful death as they just made it silly easy to turn auto cannon and all its weapons on the Scimatar and its pet on it to rip it appart before it fires.

I will admit universal bridge officer slots are being abused and should be exclusive to BoPs. Still the Scimatar is not over powered when you really look all the info and think about it seriously.
    edited July 2013
    puttenham wrote: »
    its more powerfull, cause cryptic wants everyone to scramble to buy it.. they have kind of admitted to this in the past.. i believe captain geko said somehting like to this effect about lock box ships.. but i doubt it would stop there.. pay to win for the win.. (this is one of many reasons i quit the game..)

It is sad that Cryptic are so obsessed with their own greed that they have repeatedly failed to be committed to the game. Of course you are right, but its becoming more and more amusing just what OP TRIBBLE they keep bringing out to try and keep players buying.

Its a bit like a dog... begging for attention.
  • tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First off, the Galaxy-X Dreadnought is dreadnought in name only(in homage to canon of the episode) that ship is broken, and unless pwe thinks they can actually turn more profit remaking it(which I really hope doesn't shaft me and all the others who paid for that ship a while ago), it will stay in a graveyard.
    Now, The Odyssey pack is the FED Flagship, The Bortas Pack is the KDF Flagship, and the new scimitar will be the ROM flagship.

Now to address your post, I don't think the FED Flagship should have "more" Tactical consoles, as the FED side of the Triumvirate would be more engineering based. The KDF side should be mostly tactical based, and honestly the Scimitars should be Science based. If you disagree, then think about the canon from the movie this ship is based off. What did this ship have besides a giant awesome looking hull, and cloaking/hangers. It had a huge Thelaron lab dedicated to using this technology as a super weapon against it's enemies. This ship should be science oriented, even if you make 3 like the others(which I believe you are) then even though there is a tactical and engineering ship as well, they should still be more science themed like the odyssey's no matter Tactical/Engineering/Science are still Engineering themed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oddy and Bortas consoles and set bonuses need to be buffed and 2 piece bonus added or there is no reason to ever get any 3 pack ship besides this scimitar.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited July 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Oddy and Bortas consoles and set bonuses need to be buffed and 2 piece bonus added or there is no reason to ever get any 3 pack ship besides this scimitar.

Well to be honest, the Oddy is a complete joke, that ship has been an abomination since she was released and has been hated by a great many Trek fans. To be honest, the Federation should probably have another vessel as their flagship, a full Federation carrier, like the Proxima or Typhoon Class.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OP -

Perhaps if you put the ships in perspective and compared them to their appropriate counterparts:

3-pack Flagships
    Feds - Oddy
    KDF - Bort
    Rom - ????

3-pack ships designed towards the faction meme but having a hangar:
    Feds - Vesta
    KDF - ????
    Rom - Scimitar

Now that we're straightened that out appropriately AND correctly, please reconsider your post. :D
  • aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Scimitar is contrary to most common believe not be understood as the Romulan flagship. It is a too old to be the state of the art flagship class. Nothing more.
    Therefore, it isn't logical to compare it to the Odyssey or Bortas.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'll take Bortasqu's decloak-alpha-o'-doom over your hold-still-while-I-charge-my-thalaron-pulse any day.

I'm sure the thalaron pulse will be hilarious to see in action, but really the only thing I see it being good for is taking out big Borg targets, like cubes, gateways and unimatrix ships.

And before you say it, yes, my Bortasqu' can outrun your thalaron pulse. In fact I'll bet I could maneuver behind a Scimitar and take it out before the pulse fires.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    I'll take Bortasqu's decloak-alpha-o'-doom over your hold-still-while-I-charge-my-thalaron-pulse any day.

I'm sure the thalaron pulse will be hilarious to see in action, but really the only thing I see it being good for is taking out big Borg targets, like cubes, gateways and unimatrix ships.

And before you say it, yes, my Bortasqu' can outrun your thalaron pulse. In fact I'll bet I could maneuver behind a Scimitar and take it out before the pulse fires.

Boys and girls, this right here, is why my KDF Engi is in a Bortas.

Bought the pack the day it came out, never looked back.

(And on a related note, I have as much fun in the Oddy pack - despite the haters, I'm just plain awesome in it.)

It is not WHAT you fly, but HOW you fly it that counts. ;)
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First off, the Galaxy-X Dreadnought is dreadnought in name only(in homage to canon of the episode) that ship is broken, and unless pwe thinks they can actually turn more profit remaking it(which I really hope doesn't shaft me and all the others who paid for that ship a while ago), it will stay in a graveyard.
    Now, The Odyssey pack is the FED Flagship, The Bortas Pack is the KDF Flagship, and the new scimitar will be the ROM flagship.

Now to address your post, I don't think the FED Flagship should have "more" Tactical consoles, as the FED side of the Triumvirate would be more engineering based. The KDF side should be mostly tactical based, and honestly the Scimitars should be Science based. If you disagree, then think about the canon from the movie this ship is based off. What did this ship have besides a giant awesome looking hull, and cloaking/hangers. It had a huge Thelaron lab dedicated to using this technology as a super weapon against it's enemies. This ship should be science oriented, even if you make 3 like the others(which I believe you are) then even though there is a tactical and engineering ship as well, they should still be more science themed like the odyssey's no matter Tactical/Engineering/Science are still Engineering themed.

sorry, but not once was it called a "dreadnaught" on the tv show. so its not paying homage to it, they knowingly called it a dreadnaught and then chose to pretend it didnt exist anymore..
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can't help but sit here and roll my eyes at all this. If you don't like it, dont buy it, its that simple. I find it humorous that no matter what they do to the game people come out of the wood work to moan and complain.

As the saying goes, "You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Boys and girls, this right here, is why my KDF Engi is in a Bortas.

Bought the pack the day it came out, never looked back.

(And on a related note, I have as much fun in the Oddy pack - despite the haters, I'm just plain awesome in it.)

It is not WHAT you fly, but HOW you fly it that counts. ;)

You said it sir. While I am not a fan of he Bortas I do regularly fly an Oddy. It is very much not what you fly but how you fly it. You can make a vulcan science ship rock socks if you know what you are doing.
  • nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sander233 wrote: »

Thalaron pulse as you mentioned seems best for gate cracking and such, though one sick potential exists-which frankly I hope does not apply.

What if you can charge the pulse and just before firing use the subspace jump console? Materialize 4 km behind target and give him the antilife fist o' death.

Much as this might be funny, it would be rather cracked. Frankly other then Borg-busting, the only practical use for Thalaron pulse is against tons of mobs (DS9) or maybe as part of a team where someone else tractors the target and lets the Scimitar poition for firing.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The entitlement is strong in this thread.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The ship does have weakness. Just find it and there you go. Mainly stay away from the frontal area and possible sides. Considering how they build it. The rear is weak with only 3 weapons. Even if they do the 3 pack and get the big weapon. The 12 sec to fire. Like the others said. Any good capt. will fly right behind them and they go boom before firing. Only way I see the weapon being any good. Is during STFs. Where you can blast the enemy while they focus on another target. To allow a good hit.

Even my self don't see that weapon doing good. Since I only solo PVEs. I will just buy the tactical version to play with.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited July 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    The entitlement is strong in this thread.

Since you like repeating boring memes so much, I have one for you: "That word, it does not mean what you think it means."

Please stop throwing around the word "entitled". I know it's fashionable to internet tough guys who pretend any and all complaining requires uttering it, but spare us.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If all the dreadnoughts are supposed to be "balanced" like the D'Deridex is supposed to be the Romulan mirror to the Negh'var and Galaxy. Then WHY is the Scimitar about 10 times more powerful with a better tactical layout, better consoles and superior firepower. Anybody notice how ships like the Galaxy-X Dreadnought have been shafted again!

Why has there been no update to both Klingon and Federation Dreadnoughts (Possibly the Odyssey because its a 3 pack) to be competitive with this new ship.

Bet Cryptic won't do this... they are having too much fun milking the Romulan fanbase now. Hi Klinks, we're the Federation, we had our day but now we are going to join you in mediocrity.

sigh first off the odd is not the fed dread it is the fed flagship as is the bort the gal x is the fed dread but i am assuming they will redo it and make a 3 pack gal x so wait for it and relax to answer your question the scimitar is a dread so it will norm be more powerful they have already said THIS ship is NOT the rom flagship so there is more coming relax
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Since the scimitars fifth forward weapon is obviously the thaleron canon, we can safely assume that it really has only four forward weapons and three aft ( because that thaleron is almost absolutely useless, even more-so than the projected singularity of the d'dex ). That means you have essentially a very big mogai style ship with halfway decent ( but still minimal ) hull specs.. It has a 7 turn rate :lol:; i can see some layouts with rows after rows of RCS consoles lined up just to get this thing to move.. All of the various arguments against this ship are mere jokes.. I HAVE a bortesqu, its an awesome ship ( 55000 hull ) and it takes donatras blasts head on ( when i'm lucky ). meh, i built it when i was poorer so it doesnt shoot so well, but ive seen good captains turn them into ballets of devastation in several ESTFs..
    There is nothing to either crow about nor condemn with the scimitar. Its just another ship.
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is sad that Cryptic are so obsessed with their own greed that they have repeatedly failed to be committed to the game. Of course you are right, but its becoming more and more amusing just what OP TRIBBLE they keep bringing out to try and keep players buying.

Then why dont you get lost. Pack up your troubles and walk away and take your nasty comment with you. Cryptic is a business. They need to make things to sell to suvive. As someone said in another thread. How do you think they survive? Selling Unicorn Farts?

I think Cryptic do an excellent job despite nasty abuse from people like you.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Honestly the more I think about potential boff layouts of the Scimitar, the more I think its going to be a 'jack of all trades master of none' ship. It will be able to pretty handily take on any role as needed, but to specialize in that role, a different ship will usually be a better choice. It will be a great 'can handle any situation' single-player ship, but as a component on a team it seems like its going to come up short. Makes for an interesting release, actually.

Note this isn't a complaint, just an observation. I'll be grabbing one to play with and try some stuff I don't normally do, and probably be a lot of fun. Just that when it becomes time to build a specific ship for a specific role, I get the feeling I'll be pulling something else out of the hangar. Time will tell.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    Since the scimitars fifth forward weapon is obviously the thaleron canon, we can safely assume that it really has only four forward weapons and three aft ( because that thaleron is almost absolutely useless, even more-so than the projected singularity of the d'dex ). That means you have essentially a very big mogai style ship with halfway decent ( but still minimal ) hull specs.. It has a 7 turn rate :lol:; i can see some layouts with rows after rows of RCS consoles lined up just to get this thing to move.. All of the various arguments against this ship are mere jokes.. I HAVE a bortesqu, its an awesome ship ( 55000 hull ) and it takes donatras blasts head on ( when i'm lucky ). meh, i built it when i was poorer so it doesnt shoot so well, but ive seen good captains turn them into ballets of devastation in several ESTFs..
    There is nothing to either crow about nor condemn with the scimitar. Its just another ship.

the thalaron cannon is a set bonus power, so no, its not one of the forward weapons. so you cn put 5 DHC's on it if you like, just like the kumari line.
    edited July 2013
    Then why dont you get lost. Pack up your troubles and walk away and take your nasty comment with you. Cryptic is a business. They need to make things to sell to suvive. As someone said in another thread. How do you think they survive? Selling Unicorn Farts?

I think Cryptic do an excellent job despite nasty abuse from people like you.

Ah of course, Cryptic do only good work and really consider game balance when releasing new ships despite tactical heavy layouts and having DHC's be much more superior to beams, despite the 3 years of having this problem and we still end up with the developers unable to see anything but Tac, Tac, Tac....

Of course, people are stupid enough to keep buying Tactical ships because thats the only profession worth a damn in this game anymore.
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Of course, people are stupid enough to keep buying Tactical ships because thats the only profession worth a damn in this game anymore.

people arent stupid. there are some incredibly erudite and intelligent people in this game, but your right about the profession.. We didnt make it that way, and many people dont like it. We complain about balances in ships, but the real imbalance is in the limitation of available occupations.. The whole game is set up around kill or be killed. Apologies but thats the simple truth.. That game mentality requires heavily armed and armored ships. Its pay to win.. I'm sorry. i dont like it either, but there it is.. If ypu want to win in this game ( depending on your personal definition of winning and success ) you buy what you need to win with real cash. theres no if's and's or but's about it..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think it is obvious that some people only exist to complain. Sorry yomatofan (you mean Yamato?) but your username has stood out to me in the majority of these types of threads, despite your recent join date. Yes the game will never be balanced, then again what MMO is? But it also seems that you do not understand the point of the game. I have been using a Cruiser for some time, widely touted as the least effective type of ship, and I have had an absolute blast. You pay for your entertainment. If you aren't entertained then this game is still fully playable on F2P. It requires a little bit of effort on your part and the realization that the game does not revolve around one player's wishes.
    EnYn9p9.jpg