test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Unless a GM starts monitoring every single STF run (and I'm sure there are thousands a day) it's virtually impossible to monitor for afkers that are leeching. I've run pugs (it's the primary way I do STF's) and only have met up with maybe 3 AFKers since STF's came into existence. They could put in vote kick systems (which would be abused A LOT), damage based rewards (which would suck) and so on but in the end it'll only hurt players not help them. There are quite a few STF channels that run them almost constantly. While yes, you can possibly have a leecher jump in it's more rare. I have like 2 real life friends I play STO with and yet I never have problems getting a team together to run an STF :)

i mention some where in another post, about a new vote kick system.
    i know its a stretch though.

Moderator license is what i call it. lol
    have an item called Moderator license and if a player has it and is team leader
    he will have the ability to vote kick. and the results of each vote kick will
    determine if your a good team leader or not. and if the person is a bad team leader
    he wont be a team leader unless he gos in private queue.

but its just a thought, if they decide to add the vote kicking.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It amazes me how many of these threads get started... for really a minor annoyance. Although I see it more often in Fleet Events then I do STF"s.

If it is that bad for you don't pug... period. Problem solved... not a single line of code, and you can do it RIGHT now.

Run with fleet first, not enough fleeties online (or you don't belong to a fleet), join a STF channel (PublicEliteSTF - For STF's, or FleetEvent for other stuff are two examples... there are more, but you get the idea)

Before you hit reply, and go off about not wanting o take the time to form teams, manage a friends list, etc etc... then understand you CHOOSE to use the Queues, and you accept that at times there are going to be leechers, afk'ers, griefers, trolls, etc etc etc

The game already provides you a tool to not deal with this... you are choosing not to use it.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited July 2013
    It amazes me how many of these threads get started... for really a minor annoyance. Although I see it more often in Fleet Events then I do STF"s.

If it is that bad for you don't pug... period. Problem solved... not a single line of code, and you can do it RIGHT now.

Run with fleet first, not enough fleeties online (or you don't belong to a fleet), join a STF channel (PublicEliteSTF - For STF's, or FleetEvent for other stuff are two examples... there are more, but you get the idea)

Before you hit reply, and go off about not wanting o take the time to form teams, manage a friends list, etc etc... then understand you CHOOSE to use the Queues, and you accept that at times there are going to be leechers, afk'ers, griefers, trolls, etc etc etc

The game already provides you a tool to not deal with this... you are choosing not to use it.

thats avoiding the problem, not a solution
    edited July 2013
    the net effect (no afk'ers) is the same... therefore it does solve the problem.

Free, already in place... whats not to love?

• marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    the net effect (no afk'ers) is the same... therefore it does solve the problem.

Free, already in place... whats not to love?

Can you say that their will never ever be a leecher in such a game?

The only way to make sure their will never ever be a leecher is if they do something about it.
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gremmer wrote: »
    Would you open your wallet and give Cryptic money for an item or service that deals with AFK players on missions?

Unless this involves hiring Hirogen Hunters to track them down and kill them the answer is No.
    edited July 2013
    Can you say that their will never ever be a leecher in such a game?

The only way to make sure their will never ever be a leecher is if they do something about it.

I can say that, playing since launch, I have can honestly say t hat I've never had a problem with a leech/afker in pugmade... and here's why... once a team identifies a leech, that person makes your ignore list (right click and ignore player)... next time you advetise a mission you want to run, you never even see them respond or request to join your team... period.

In a very short period of time, the few bad apples are weeded out, and your game play experience will improve. As you, and other members of the channel, add afk'ers and leechers to your ignore lists... they can scream LFG until they are blue in the face and still never hit a team.

• stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aexrael wrote: »
    Unless this involves hiring Hirogen Hunters to track them down and kill them the answer is No.

Ooh, can I pay for those? I hear they're very efficient at finding people's homes and families. ;)
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited July 2013
    In a very short period of time, the few bad apples are weeded out

That says that their are still some people that leech in private games because their is no weeding out if it never ever happens.
    edited July 2013
    aexrael wrote: »

thats actually not a bad idea,
    if a person stays in spot for a long period of time
    that person should generate tons of threat
    and start spawning AI assassins to kill the AFker.

or have some sorta enemy scouting party that kills
    players at the spawn site.
  • gremmergremmer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    being AFK is not against the TOS..

so what exactly are these gms going to do?

OP chiming in.

This is not a topic about whether or not AFK is allowed or not.

Cryptic's passiveness on AFK already tells us it is allowed, or even encouraged (to increase challenge?)

I'm trying to see if there's interest in buying something to help deal with it.

Thanks anyway.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I really don't get the moaning about afkers in stf. I've been playing this game a year now and NEVER encountered one.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited July 2013
    I really don't get the moaning about afkers in stf. I've been playing this game a year now and NEVER encountered one.

since the begining i've seen maybe 20 or so, i have to check my ignore list
    and reported each one on the spot after that they seem to vanish
    and never see them again.

side note: afk isn't against the rules but using a program to bot/afk bot
    is against the rules.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    artanisen wrote: »
    thats avoiding the problem, not a solution

The "problem" that most of these topics keep bringing up is a minor annoyance that goes away completely when you actually take responsibility for your own gaming enjoyment and use the tools already available to you.

If everyone makes friends or plays with fleet mates only, then the leechers/AFKers/Griefers/Trolls/etc etc etc are left to only group with themselves. :D
    edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Unless a GM starts monitoring every single STF run (and I'm sure there are thousands a day) it's virtually impossible to monitor for afkers that are leeching. I've run pugs (it's the primary way I do STF's) and only have met up with maybe 3 AFKers since STF's came into existence. They could put in vote kick systems (which would be abused A LOT), damage based rewards (which would suck) and so on but in the end it'll only hurt players not help them. There are quite a few STF channels that run them almost constantly. While yes, you can possibly have a leecher jump in it's more rare. I have like 2 real life friends I play STO with and yet I never have problems getting a team together to run an STF :)

(1) You don't need to have GMs monitoring every single STF - that was never suggested in any post in this topic, so I don't know why your position argues from that point.

But a discussion on GM role is worthwhile. A bit of enforcement could go a long way. If Cryptic changed their position on AFKers, then all you would need is for GMs to bring the hammer down, on occasion, and let word spread.

(2) Alternatively, I would think its trivial for the server to detect a ship has not fired a weapon, cast a heal, or cast a CC over some period of time and automatically remove them from the STF. Or leave them in the STF but don't award them anything if they failed to "do" anything in the STF.

(3) I believe other MMOs have successfully implemented vote-kick systems; this is not an impossible problem to solve.

(4) I probably will migrate to STF channels, so thank you for that suggestion. Cryptic should either do something about AFKer, or drop the PUG queues if they are not committed to doing it right.

Thanks.
  • contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nothing is quite as fun as seeing a bunch of impotent, angry people gnash their teeth once again for a vote-kick system when anyone with experience in online games knows that vote kick systems are more frequently used to TRIBBLE over others rather than prevent being screwed over.

People are, frankly, idiots. 9 times out of 10 if you put a shiny button in front of them saying "kick (player)?" they're going to hit it no matter what because its in the way of them doing something else or they just don't care to ask why.
    edited July 2013
    I am starting to think people are saying do private game because they want more people to do private games so it is easier/quicker for them to do private games.

Private games don't make it so you will never ever see a leecher in a game it will only reduce the chances. I have heard people talk about people leeching in private games so I know it happens.

Only way to make it so no one will ever see someone leech is if they do something about it until then their will always be some leeching going on.
    edited July 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    The "problem" that most of these topics keep bringing up is a minor annoyance that goes away completely when you actually take responsibility for your own gaming enjoyment and use the tools already available to you.

If everyone makes friends or plays with fleet mates only, then the leechers/AFKers/Griefers/Trolls/etc etc etc are left to only group with themselves. :D

I'm not in a fleet and I don't think I should have to be to get a good STF going. I have a friends list, but it's rare to find 5 willing friends ready to do a STF at the moment I want to.

Early on, I did 'use the tools' and left a STF that was plagued with an AFKer. I got the hour-long "leaver" penalty and the AFKer got Dil and Marks. To suggest that's the way to handle this problem is a weak position.

If you are annoyed by this topic, it is your "problem" that you just don't ignore it and contribute to elsewhere, right?
  • reconalpha1reconalpha1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What I would pay to see is the reaction of all 5 AFK players when they come back some 10 to 15 min later only to realize that they were all teamed with AFKers.
    :eek:
    :confused:
    :mad:
  • foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No.

Either play with your own friends or a group of people who don't tolerate AFKers, or deal with them in your team when you PUG.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Now its getting to the stage in mine trap that entire teams are going afk

so now I ask cryptic again can we please have the ability to BOOT afkers OR have a feature that will remove people when they don't move or don't attack or if a threshold fails they are booted. Because really its getting beyond a joke now. To see full groups of them afk with a disco ball up.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Have you noticed these players wearing Evening wear or other Zen purchase costumes?

In space are they in a Zen purchase ship?

You won't get a boot option. PWE likes the money.

The best we can hope for is the removal of the cooldown for leaving the mission. this will leave the leechers in a map alone with no one to grind for them while everyone else goes to a new run.
  • jamesburtchelljamesburtchell Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    an idea from TOR any member of the team can issue an kick to where all team members other then the one who is getting voted on to be kicked can kicked while the person is being notified that they are in fact getting kicked.. and have a reason to kick them if you're doing pugs or if not find a fleet find a good team do that
    The Emperor isn't please with Cryptic apparent lack of progress for the Empire. Lord Vader is on his way
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No.

Nice try to bribe them by mentioning money though.

Any player you carry through an STF probably needed the carry anyway and you've done your charity for the day.
    I'd rather have an AFKer than a Help spammer any day of the week.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    my guess: after Hair Tech 2.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't encounter AFKers very often, but when I do, I get really frustrated. Why should they get the same reward the other four players get without doing any of the work to get it? It is too easy to set up a good build without spending a ton of money that can tackle eSTFs without much issue, so there is absolutely no excuse for AFKing. It's like they're on welfare in STO, and we are supporting their deadbeat asses.
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think the best solution would be to have a system where people could report an AFKer in queued events such as PvP or STFs. The report itself would not do anything but players who received a certain number of reports beyond a certain standard deviation from the mean with a hypothesis test indicating AFKer to a 99% or better significance level would get auto-banned from all queues.

The initial ban would be just for an hour and if they did not move away from the confidence interval for disproving the null hypothesis, they would be eligible for a new ban everyday. Every time they got banned, the ban would double in length, so while it would be only an hour initially (or simply a warning), after ten periods of AFKing it would be nearly a month and a half ban.

From the period they start working toward upholding the confidence interval of the null hypothesis they would start a clock, and after a certain period (say 6 months) of either working further toward the mean AFKer report level they would have their ban level reset and older data (say greater than 100 queue reports) cleared.

The data and the bans should be account-wide, unlike the current leaver penalty.
  • phillips30phillips30 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am getting pretty sick of logging into mine trap just to have 2 members of my team AFK the entire match. While these guys log in and then go off doing something else, my team usually gets diminished returns because we are running with a short team. It is not fair to the players who actually play the match.

Is there any way the Devs can make it where a player will be logged out of the game if they do not move more more than 5 minutes in a match?
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What is going on?

I've rarely seen AFK'ers in any of my pugged missions and I pug almost exclusively, yet there seems to be a new anti-AFK/leech thread every 5 minutes.

Have I just been lucky, or am I missing something here?
  • phillips30phillips30 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they are there enough to move around, they might as well help. I think some people are leaving the room, going to lunch or something. It wouldn't solve it completely, but it might help some.

Also, I didn't see the other thread, hadn't been on the forums for a while. Just got so fed up with this I wanted to rage a little about it. Glad to see others have already brought this up. Hopefully the Devs will do something about this. I think I'm done with Mine Trap until they do...
This discussion has been closed.