test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is your beef with the Galaxy Cryptic?

Comments

• admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Also we must consider the layout of Starfleet at the time AND the fact they had only a few days but assemble a fleet. what's going to be close to Earth? the older designs. so I saw 60-40 layout of older ships and new.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow 174 pages of debate on whether to redo or keep the Galaxy Class a gimped brick. If Cryptic don't see the potential in making a vast sum of money out of changing the Galaxy class on this thread alone they need a dam good glove slap.

No other ship in the game raises such debate and feeling about being presented wrong than this ship.

Cryptic give the Galaxy class piloits what they want, the demand is there and god knows the potential to make money is there. Do it so this game can be financed for further years to come
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow 174 pages of debate on whether to redo or keep the Galaxy Class a gimped brick. If Cryptic don't see the potential in making a vast sum of money out of changing the Galaxy class on this thread alone they need a dam good glove slap.

No other ship in the game raises such debate and feeling about being presented wrong than this ship.

Cryptic give the Galaxy class piloits what they want, the demand is there and god knows the potential to make money is there. Do it so this game can be financed for further years to come

no mater how badly this fact chaps polaronbeams TRIBBLE, this is simply a fact. there is not some fringe movement that wants a none suck galaxy class.

all the information about if from canon and tech manuals is just gravy. the way he attacks that stuff, you would think that the galaxy is the only ship that has to pass some canon power litmus test before it can be good in game too.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no mater how badly this fact chaps polaronbeams TRIBBLE, this is simply a fact. there is not some fringe movement that wants a none suck galaxy class.

all the information about if from canon and tech manuals is just gravy. the way he attacks that stuff, you would think that the galaxy is the only ship that has to pass some canon power litmus test before it can be good in game too.

Hugs and kisses for you to.

X

Also i'm not looking for the Galaxy to be the uber king cruiser in this game. What i'm asking for is for the Galaxy to be put in its rightful place within the Federation cruiser line, specifically the ships we have seen on screen. Cryptic can do and place their own designs wherever they want as there's no TV/Book/Movie or other media reference to those ships so if Cryptic say a Star Cruiser is more powerful than a Galaxy i'll except it.

I cannot accept a Ambassador, Excelsior, Fleet Cheyenne being more powerful than the Galaxy given what we have seen on screen.

Now it is difficult due to lack of TV/Movie footage to get a decent idea of a ships combat capabilities. Only Voyager and the Defiant have decent footage thanks to CGI.

However summing up the cannon ships shown during TNG-VOY and this is cruisers in this game only

Galaxy - Her capabilities were very inconsistent, Capable of disabling a Galor with one shot, to destroying a huge chunk of a Borg cubes hull before adaption. To being unable to scratch a bop's shields in Generations. In fact excuse the reference here, but she is the Martian Manhunter of Star Fleet. Talked up as a power house and used as a benchmark to show how powerful and threatening a new enemy is and takes the dive to show how badass this new threat is. (In way am i saying MMH is not a DC powerhouse i have a toon in game designed to look like him)

Sovereign - Show capable of destroying a unshielded Borg Sphere with a Quantum Torpedo salvo. Able to disable a Sona battleship one on one. Took a lot of punishment during Nemesis and spat torps out for fun and a high rate of phaser fire. Although we know Shinzon was trying to disable her not destroy her so this can't be set as a benchmark for her tanking ability.

Ambassador - Seen only during TNG and not in combat. Know to be capable of fighting 3 Romulan warbirds for a short while before being overwhelmed hinting at a high shield grid and tough hull. BOBW Clip from Emissary doesn't show us anything else

Excelsior - During her TNG run was a oversized ferry for Admirals and Diplomats. During the Dominion war appeared to be used as cannon fodder. Lakota refit appeared capable of fighting the Defiant to a standstill but were both really trying to destroy the other ?.

Cheyenne - Only seen as a burnt out husk in the BOBW graveyard scene. Combat capabilities unknown as a active vessel was never shown on screen.

So my view is the Galaxy does need a refit only to place her within her rightful place within the cannon Federation cruiser line

Sovereign
    Galaxy
    Ambassador
    Excelsior
    Cheyenne

Not

Sovereign
    Excelsior
    Ambassador
    Cheyenne
    Galaxy
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only problem is that there are 174 pages, but it's mostly the same people posting. Therefore size doesn't necessarily matter here.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only problem is that there are 174 pages, but it's mostly the same people posting. Therefore size doesn't necessarily matter here.

and not all of it has been in support of fixing the Galaxy...quite a few pages were dedicated to the 'D' vs 'E' debate
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As if you Galaxy fanboys haven't mad it personal, so stop with you pseudo-sanctimonious posturing. Again, you guys don't bother to refute my irrefutable points because you can't. It's clear that beyond whining that you Galaxy fanboys are basically powerless to have any real changes made to your beloved "space hotel" and are just to ashamed to admit it.

So, please vent away at me if it makes your utter failure for the last three years easier to digest. Again, it still doesn't erase your failure but maybe it can help you sleep better at night.

It's not that they "failed". They just haven't been heard by the Devs; or the Devs don't care about the opinions of a few select people. Which is perfectly within their rights as the designers of this successful video game.

Hypothetical scenario. Say the Devs actually care about changing the ship. They publicly apologize for the ship we have had for the past 3 years, and vow to change it.

The Devs decide to swap the Ambassador and Galaxy. Ambassador owners now have the ship stats of the Galaxy. Galaxy owners now have their ships with the stats of the Ambassador.

Imagine how disappointed, enraged, furious the Ambassador and Fleet Ambassador owners would be. Their ship has effectively been hit by the hardest ship nerf in the history of this game! Their ships now have TRIBBLE turn rates, bad BOFF seating, etc., and it even doesn't have any special console to go with it, to at least try and make up for the shortcomings of the nerfed Ambassador. Complaints issue forth on this forum and to Customer Service about how their ship, which some have paid real money for (FSMs via C-Store), has been sharply decreased in effectiveness.

This is precisely why Cryptic's Devs can't just say "Well let's just swap the ship looks/stats!", because no matter what change they make, it affects a great deal of customers in their game. And they can't change the current Galaxy layout, because they need something to fill that setup, just like the Defiant and Intrepid have virtually the same type of layout (Cmdr/LtCmdr/Ens X | Lt Y | Lt Z), just in a different form.

I just wanted to put that hypothetical scenario out there, as any change that the Devs make affects a great deal of players. Be careful what you wish for; you may find a lot of hate coming your way from a group of people negatively affected by a change you requested.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited June 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    so now you are going to make up some story about moving fubar numbers around rather than fixing them?

where do you even get that idea from?
    you just invented a ridiculous scenario of your own for the purpose of being an easy target, that is blatant straw-manning.

First, I'm not exactly sure what "straw" really has to do with this topic. Yet again, you are derailing from the purpose and topic of this thread.

Second, I said it was a hypothetical scenario to prove a point, not a practical application; as I have said here:
    Hypothetical scenario. Say the Devs actually care about changing the ship....

and here:
    I just wanted to put that hypothetical scenario out there, as any change that the Devs make affects a great deal of players.

Third, an "easy target"? Then you are COMPLETELY missing the ENTIRE point of the scenario and associated lesson. Fortunately I'm a nice guy, so I'll rewrite it.

Group A wants change. Change happens; but in doing so, Group B is affected. As a result, one group is satisfied, but another has been severely affected and frustrated.

Any change will affect other players.

This is, basically, the warning I was trying to impress upon the readers of this thread.
  • polaronbeam1polaronbeam1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Well, it's also a FACT that after THREE YEARS of you guys whining, absolutely nothing has been done to your "space hotel". And as far as your so called "fringe movement", from what I can see, it's the same cast of whiners that have been crying in their milk for that same period of time with absolutely NO RESULTS, which quite frankly, is pretty pathetic.:D
  • polaronbeam1polaronbeam1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Amen! These Galaxy Fanboys clearly have some serious delusions of grandeur to think that the SAME 20 or so whiners constitute a "fringe movement".

Then again, maybe it IS a "fringe movement" much like the "Flat Earthers" who believe that the Earth is really flat. The "logical reasoning" by these Galaxy Fanbors is about the same.:rolleyes:
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My pleasure, since it illustrates the absolute failure that your "cause" has been for the last three years. The fact that even a ship from a pleasure planet such as Risa, has better tactical stats than your "space hotel" shows what Cryptic (with CBS's permission") thinks of your "arguments".

So when this thread is at 400 pages and it STILL has NOT changed the stats for your beloved "space hotel", your failure can at least illustrate to others that simply whining without any other action(s) will get them NOWHWHERE.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think my personal cause is in this thread? Not the OPs, not the other players, but mine, since your reply was to me.

Also, trying to degrade the ship by calling it a space hotel is the ultimate fail, because I happen to like that space hotel just because of that - it has civilians, families, kindergarten, school and all the works. It's the ultimate representation of a noble vision about enlightened ideals. So, if by calling it a space hotel you expected to get an angry reaction or to be taken as an insult - I'm afraid your shot missed, because quite frankly, it does completely the opposite to me.

And I wouldn't worry too much about my space hotel in STO, you can rest assured that with it's current stats in game, it could slap Risan Corvettes around all day long with me yawning and scratching my head with my right hand.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Amen! These Galaxy Fanboys clearly have some serious delusions of grandeur to think that the SAME 20 or so whiners constitute a "fringe movement".

Then again, maybe it IS a "fringe movement" much like the "Flat Earthers" who believe that the Earth is really flat. The "logical reasoning" by these Galaxy Fanbors is about the same.:rolleyes:

once they get second generation saucer sep working on the galaxy, the venture costumes lower neck causing problems applying that to it, there will be a fleet galaxy X, and according to geko other changes. the reason nothing has changed yet is because that tech isn't ready. they want to introduce any changes with that new tech.

its going to be so funny when we do get what we want when that tech is finished. so funny. i'll have to rename my galaxy the USS lol @ polaronbeam1
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the quote. You learn something new every day :)

The whole goal of that exercise was to give an example of why we can't just say "CHANGE EVERRY-THANG!!". Changing components of a dynamic game affects a lot of different, seemingly unrelated features of the game, as well as other players.

By showing the example, and explaining it in more basic terms, I don't believe I have failed at all; since you said that you "got it", that clearly explains to me that you understand the concept; which was my goal in the first place.

I'm not here to prove a point. I aspire to be the dose of reality to the people in this thread who insist on changing the Galaxy-class to suit them, without regard to the repercussions or execution of said change.
    by this logic noting should ever be rebalanced ever, since it can be asserted under your reasoning;
    'advantage X' cant be taken away from those using 'advantage X', because group x are satisfied using 'advantage X'.

you are literally arguing directly against balanced game-play, by using an example that doesnt actually seek to fix the problem, simply move it around.
    That is true, however, if the greater population X benefits from the change at the cost of smaller population Y, then Cryptic may decide to take that action. You've seen it before in all sorts of nerfs and adjustments. People in the PvP forum are abuzz with disappointment in changes which ignore the smaller PvP community.

Applied to the Galaxy-class starship in this game, there are a small number of owners, and an even smaller number of owners who are concerned enough for a change. However, this dedicated group is miniscule compared to the thousands / millions of other players who would be affected by a change to this ship and its role as part of a line of Federation Starfleet cruisers.

And again, I'm not arguing anything, although it may seem as such. I'm just holding out the whole deal for you to look at. It's your choice whether you choose to act upon it, or refute and continue to protest against it.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yomatofan wrote: »
    Even no there is no actual onscreen evidence to support that assessment. Of course, Voyager had plot armour and numerous Borg enhancements, however, it was repeatedly shown to be outmatched when faced with larger vessels then itself or a multitude of vessels. E.G. Kazon Carriers and Quarren ships from "Workforce".

?
    snip

When I said they are both more advanced they are.the Intrepeid comes with bioneural apcks instead of isoleiner chips ,multiphasic shielding.The Promth. is an advanced by it muti vector hull separation.The Glaxy maybe nig but these ships can run rings around it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • veraticusveraticus Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    snip

When I said they are both more advanced they are.the Intrepeid comes with bioneural apcks instead of isoleiner chips ,multiphasic shielding.The Promth. is an advanced by it muti vector hull separation.The Glaxy maybe nig but these ships can run rings around it.

Advanced does not mean what you think it means.

A brand new handgun isn't going to take out a tank for example. Even though it is far more advanced.

The Intrepid and Prometheus are both newer ships with more advanced tech implemented throughout various aspects of the ships constructions. Both are faster and more agile. The Prometheus even is slanted more towards combat than the other two ships.

So yes those two can fly literal circles around the larger Galaxy, Nebula, Sovereign ship classes. But those three will swat those two out of the sky with their own superior firepower using tech that both classes use. Phasers, Torpedoes, Shields, SIF, general superstructure construction.

Unfortunately for everyone saying that those ships, because they are newer, are the most powerful. Ignore linear tech developments. No power doesn't increase ten fold every year or two. The techs involved are all mature technology, much like the internal combustion engine. These techs take time to make serious advances and the tech usually leaps forward due to a breakthru in an unrelated field of research.

All that it boils down to is asking for the ship to be a better more accurate representation of what was seen on screen instead of a flying brick of repetitive and locked-out engineering powers. There are so many ways of changing the ship without altering its role as the so called premier tank and allowing it greater flexabiltiy.

I have yet to see a single person post anything remotely relevant to opposing the changes.
    Why can it not be turned into a more flexible ship?

No it doesn't alter anothers playstyle as has been suggested.
    It will take nothing away from anyone but add selection and flavor for everyone.
    edited June 2013
    *Shortened*

All I am saying is Get Used To It. The Galaxy is here to stay, as it has for the past 3 years. 3 years! The past 1100 days!

About the IP: It's already gone, as you can see by the broken game mechanics which are supposed to be reflective of space/ground combat in Star Trek, and in fact you stated yourself are quickly becoming a mess.

But enough derailing, as that seems to be your motive in this thread; correct me with the truth of your purpose here, if I am wrong. The core of every post, every idea, in this thread should be about the Galaxy-class. Not about Cheyennes, not about Star Cruisers, not about power creep, not about broken game, not about Fanboys, not about X>Y, etc etc etc...

This is addressing everyone in this thread now. You want to talk Galaxy? Sure! I am jumping with joy to talk about this ship with you and anyone else! How it currently is (Reality), and what we all wish it was (Hypothetical scenarios). You want to talk about something else? I can make you a separate forum thread and help you set that up, if you want.

Enough derailing, irrelevant egotistical poking and garbage unrelated to this thread. It's annoying, a waste of everyone's time and energy, and frankly, reflective of no inner capability to craft a cohesive and on-topic idea.
    veraticus wrote:
    I have yet to see a single person post anything remotely relevant to opposing the changes.
    Why can it not be turned into a more flexible ship?
    Because there are so few people who have had positive experience working with this ship, and wish to confront the aggravated population of this thread.

"Anything remotely relevant". Page 174 shows a brief hypothetical scenario of when a ship is changed, or rather in that case 'swapped', in this game. It's a cause and effect relationship. Because the Galaxy was swapped, Ambassador captains were enraged; which doesn't solve the problem, only closes one door and opens another.

A "true" solution would be to make a change that has only positive effects on the people who fly Galaxy-class starships, and absolutely no negative effects or backlash from anyone else. Of course, this will never happen.

It's safer for Cryptic to maintain the small, dissatisfied playerbase that is most of the people in this thread, than tick off a whole group of people who were affected by a change in the game which allows the Galaxy to adhere more to canon. Put yourself in Cryptic's shoes (no, don't quit ;) ). Which is more manageable? A small mob, or a large mob?
    edited June 2013
    snip

I'll grtant that Prommie can take on a Galaxy, MVAM is the edge there. However Intrepid would lose. She was the last explorer leaning class before the FC change.
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Short and to the point:

Galaxy is sold in the game store as a T5 ship. I bought it. It does not perform NEAR any other cruiser with the T5 designation.

TV, movie, and tech manual hullabaloo is irrelevant. We are talking about Star Trek Online. This game is not a Trek simulator. My T5 ship is not really a T5 ship. Needs reworked. Plenty of good (and to be fair, just as many bad) ideas stated in this thread to fix it. Cryptic, please fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I'll grtant that Prommie can take on a Galaxy, MVAM is the edge there. However Intrepid would lose. She was the last explorer leaning class before the FC change.

Multi-Vector offers the ship the ability to split into three components. However, this doesn't mean they are all pieces of a godly ship. It just means they are more maneuverable (less mass), have reduced power requirements for shipboard systems, and be able to "grow" a force that can attack from multiple directions.

The Galaxy-class has greater power requirements, but no doubt has a warp core that is designed to produce greater amounts of energy to allow those systems across the 600-something meter ship to function. It's difficult to tell without sources for the Prometheus' power output per section and when docked, but it can be assumed that power is plentiful on the Galaxy, but must be more carefully optimized on the Prometheus.

Since power has greater availability on the Galaxy-class, the weapons and defensive systems get the full power they need. The Galaxy-class has endured some terrific damage in full operational mode before; Best of Both Worlds, Tin Man, etc etc etc when the ship is working as designed.

I'll use the attack in TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise" for this, since it's still fresh in my mind. Three K'Vort class KDF ships were attacking the militarized Enterprise-D. The Enterprise was required to defend its predecessor, so as someone has noted before, they couldn't go zipping around and evading the shots, lining up the torpedo tubes, etc. Regardless, a couple phaser shots at the K'Vorts destroyed one completely.

Despite their short victory, the ship was overwhelmed and facing destruction. No doubt by the time of the Prometheus, both ships' weapons and defensive systems are more advanced. Regardless, attacking from multiple angles is both the characteristic and selling point of the Prometheus over the Galaxy. Even if both are at equal technology levels, having 3 opponents with the same level of technology has an advantage over the single ship. The 3 opponents have the advantage and ability to force the hand of the single ship, simply because of greater numbers.

I'm not familiar enough with the Intrepid-class, since Voyager is not a typical Intrepid-class starship, and the only one seen in any of the shows besides Voyager is the Bellerophon, which was never seen in combat. I suppose Season 1 Voyager's combat scenes could be used as evidence, since that is as close as one can get to a baseline Intrepid-class starship, before Seven joined the show and the ship was enhanced.
    edited June 2013
    Because there are so few people who have had positive experience working with this ship, and wish to confront the aggravated population of this thread.

"Anything remotely relevant". Page 174 shows a brief hypothetical scenario of when a ship is changed, or rather in that case 'swapped', in this game. It's a cause and effect relationship. Because the Galaxy was swapped, Ambassador captains were enraged; which doesn't solve the problem, only closes one door and opens another.

A "true" solution would be to make a change that has only positive effects on the people who fly Galaxy-class starships, and absolutely no negative effects or backlash from anyone else. Of course, this will never happen.

It's safer for Cryptic to maintain the small, dissatisfied playerbase that is most of the people in this thread, than tick off a whole group of people who were affected by a change in the game which allows the Galaxy to adhere more to canon. Put yourself in Cryptic's shoes (no, don't quit ;) ). Which is more manageable? A small mob, or a large mob?

That isn't relevant.
    No-one would ask to have the Galaxy swapped with anything.

They are asking for the Galaxy to be upped to an appropriate level for its worth.
    Being a T5.5 ship available through the C-Store it should be comparable to its counterparts. The ship is not. By asking for a turn buff of 1 or 2, a more flexible BOff layout, with a slight change to the Console layout is not going to affect the other cruiser or escort captains in a way that you seem to be suggesting. That is that they would be enraged at the changes that would have happened to their own ships.

We are not asking that anything be taken away from them.
    By making the Galaxy more viable we are not taking away from the viability of those other ships. What would be more likely to happen is that there would be a greater assortment of Cruisers seen end-game. Ambassadors, Excelsiors, Assault Cruisers(Sovereigns), Galaxy's etc would all be seen end game as viable options.

Currently you are more likely to be discouraged from bringing one to an STF/ESTF then encouraged or even tolerated.
    That is a problem. When a T5.5 ship is turned away from STF/ESTF's because players view the ship as having serious issues and being a liability, then yes, changes should be made.

Furthermore, when a gaming site like sto.gamepedia has this to say about the Fleet version of the Galaxy;

Performance

The Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit can be a very durable cruiser, and difficult to destroy if properly equipped. Its great Engineering bridge officer capabilities, along with five engineering consoles, offers huge defensive potential for the vessel. If properly set up, the Fleet Galaxy can be an effective tanker with the added capacity for small team healing simultaneously.

Alternatively, successful offensive builds have been seen to work, however it is not recommended for inexperienced players.

This vessel is not recommended for players looking to take a cruiser into Special Task Forces or 5v5 Arena.

edited June 2013
    Multi-Vector offers the ship the ability to split into three components. However, this doesn't mean they are all pieces of a godly ship. It just means they are more maneuverable (less mass), have reduced power requirements for shipboard systems, and be able to "grow" a force that can attack from multiple directions.

The Galaxy-class has greater power requirements, but no doubt has a warp core that is designed to produce greater amounts of energy to allow those systems across the 600-something meter ship to function. It's difficult to tell without sources for the Prometheus' power output per section and when docked, but it can be assumed that power is plentiful on the Galaxy, but must be more carefully optimized on the Prometheus.

Since power has greater availability on the Galaxy-class, the weapons and defensive systems get the full power they need. The Galaxy-class has endured some terrific damage in full operational mode before; Best of Both Worlds, Tin Man, etc etc etc when the ship is working as designed.

I'll use the attack in TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise" for this, since it's still fresh in my mind. Three K'Vort class KDF ships were attacking the militarized Enterprise-D. The Enterprise was required to defend its predecessor, so as someone has noted before, they couldn't go zipping around and evading the shots, lining up the torpedo tubes, etc. Regardless, a couple phaser shots at the K'Vorts destroyed one completely.

Despite their short victory, the ship was overwhelmed and facing destruction. No doubt by the time of the Prometheus, both ships' weapons and defensive systems are more advanced. Regardless, attacking from multiple angles is both the characteristic and selling point of the Prometheus over the Galaxy. Even if both are at equal technology levels, having 3 opponents with the same level of technology has an advantage over the single ship. The 3 opponents have the advantage and ability to force the hand of the single ship, simply because of greater numbers.

I'm not familiar enough with the Intrepid-class, since Voyager is not a typical Intrepid-class starship, and the only one seen in any of the shows besides Voyager is the Bellerophon, which was never seen in combat. I suppose Season 1 Voyager's combat scenes could be used as evidence, since that is as close as one can get to a baseline Intrepid-class starship, before Seven joined the show and the ship was enhanced.

we saw what the prommie did to a nebula, and you can assume that a Gal is slightly stronger. But still again a more tacically orient ship vs the king of the Explorers even if a DW variant Mvam gives it the edge because of the multipe approach. Interpid is an okay cruiser and is not ment to go toe to toe with a Galaxy like ships. well armed for her class. Going by pre Seven stats.
    edited June 2013
    we saw what the prommie did to a nebula, and you can assume that a Gal is slightly stronger. But still again a more tacically orient ship vs the king of the Explorers even if a DW variant Mvam gives it the edge because of the multipe approach. Interpid is an okay cruiser and is not ment to go toe to toe with a Galaxy like ships. well armed for her class. Going by pre Seven stats.

We saw what a Prometheus could do to a Nebula that had just flown itself apart trying to keep up with the Prometheus. Remember the Prometheus is the fastest ship in the fleet, and that Nebula was catching up to it...

Voyager was originally intended to be a Galaxy class vessel. But the producers didn't feel that viewers would be able to suspend belief and actually think that it was in trouble having seen how powerful the ship could be in TNG. So they went with a smaller less powerful ship in order to better set the stage for Voyager.

It's a pity they ruined that show ><
    edited June 2013
    veraticus wrote: »
    That isn't relevant.
    No-one would ask to have the Galaxy swapped with anything.

Again, it was a hypothetical scenario. I can't speak for Cryptic in what they plan to do with the ship, if they decide to go back and edit it.
    They are asking for the Galaxy to be upped to an appropriate level for its worth.
    Being a T5.5 ship available through the C-Store it should be comparable to its counterparts. The ship is not. By asking for a turn buff of 1 or 2, a more flexible BOff layout
    Right there. A more flexible BOFF Layout. So which ship will take its place, once the Galaxy gets an upped boff layout? Since it's evident that Cryptic insists on a ship from each line (cruiser, escort, sci ship) have Cmdr+LtCmdr+Ens X, Lt Y, Lt Z formula for boff layouts.
    with a slight change to the Console layout is not going to affect the other cruiser or escort captains in a way that you seem to be suggesting. That is that they would be enraged at the changes that would have happened to their own ships.
    Again, it was hypothetical. I can't speak for Cryptic. If I would, let's just say that this thread wouldn't exist.
    We are not asking that anything be taken away from them.
    By making the Galaxy more viable we are not taking away from the viability of those other ships. What would be more likely to happen is that there would be a greater assortment of Cruisers seen end-game. Ambassadors, Excelsiors, Assault Cruisers(Sovereigns), Galaxy's etc would all be seen end game as viable options.
    Ideally, yes. Let's hope and pray that in the event this ship gets a revisit by Cryptic's Devs, they will not swap stats with other ships, and instead tweak the stats so the ship is more viable.
    Currently you are more likely to be discouraged from bringing one to an STF/ESTF then encouraged or even tolerated.
    That is a problem. When a T5.5 ship is turned away from STF/ESTF's because players view the ship as having serious issues and being a liability, then yes, changes should be made.

Furthermore, when a gaming site like sto.gamepedia has this to say about the Fleet version of the Galaxy;

Performance

The Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit can be a very durable cruiser, and difficult to destroy if properly equipped. Its great Engineering bridge officer capabilities, along with five engineering consoles, offers huge defensive potential for the vessel. If properly set up, the Fleet Galaxy can be an effective tanker with the added capacity for small team healing simultaneously.

Alternatively, successful offensive builds have been seen to work, however it is not recommended for inexperienced players.

This vessel is not recommended for players looking to take a cruiser into Special Task Forces or 5v5 Arena.
    Oooh, bad source! I wrote that - check the page history.
    But I'm honoured nonetheless that the truth of my words has had an impact on at least one person. If only I could say the same about some of the other people in this thread about the likelihood of a change to this ship.
    edited June 2013
    We saw what a Prometheus could do to a Nebula that had just flown itself apart trying to keep up with the Prometheus. Remember the Prometheus is the fastest ship in the fleet, and that Nebula was catching up to it...

Voyager was originally intended to be a Galaxy class vessel. But the producers didn't feel that viewers would be able to suspend belief and actually think that it was in trouble having seen how powerful the ship could be in TNG. So they went with a smaller less powerful ship in order to better set the stage for Voyager.

Yeah, a Galaxy would have an easy time. Just try to imagine the kazon Olga trying to take a Galaxy Voyager.

also Prommie fused, Galaxy has advantage, split Promie does.
    edited June 2013

the Prometheus was an ultra high tech light cruiser, but nothing about it struck me as especially dangerous for its size. it had shorter main arrays then the intrepid even, and no cannons. it lacks heavy firepower, or large burst torpedo tubes, not every section necessarily even had torp tubes. the nebula that was giving chase was knocked out of warp and unable to continue pursuit. getting damaged at the speed it was going, which must have been beyond its emergency sprint speed, prevented them from continuing giving chase. had they both dropped out of warp to duke it out, the Prometheus and its parts would have gotten squashed likes bugs, it was facing a gigantic ship by comparison with the most powerful phaser arrays in all of canon.

the Prometheus is clearly an interceptor to the extreme, designed to engage small frigate squadrons like bird of prey or bug ships, alone, using its separation ability to even the odds. or to chase down a ship slightly out of its weight class and attempt to overwhelm it. it killed a d'deridex, after an akira and 2 defiant class focused fired on it off screen. at first the ship might seem uber, but like so many trek battles, they are written to aggrandize the small hero ship or favor the enemy underdog. i left out have the tacticly superior large battleship overwhelmingly squash the smaller ship, that never gets to happen. well, except once, when the valiant picked a fight with that huge jem hadar ship.

people are pretty hyped about the prom, but thats mainly because it was the newest ship. and they think new=most powerful, without exception. being big or small actually maters the most, and being most advanced, for a short time, means the least. becase the new tech just became part of the starfleet parts bins, and they upgrade ships constantly with new tech.

im sure they loved writing for voyager. they finally had the ship they were awkwardly writing for throughout tng. the small, vulnerable, underdog.
    edited June 2013
    the Prometheus was an ultra high tech light cruiser, but nothing about it struck me as especially dangerous for its size. it had shorter main arrays then the intrepid even, and no cannons. it lacks heavy firepower, or large burst torpedo tubes, not every section necessarily even had torp tubes. the nebula that was giving chase was knocked out of warp and unable to continue pursuit. getting damaged at the speed it was going, which must have been beyond its emergency sprint speed, prevented them from continuing giving chase. had they both dropped out of warp to duke it out, the Prometheus and its parts would have gotten squashed likes bugs, it was facing a gigantic ship by comparison with the most powerful phaser arrays in all of canon.

the Prometheus is clearly an interceptor to the extreme, designed to engage small frigate squadrons like bird of prey or bug ships, alone, using its separation ability to even the odds. or to chase down a ship slightly out of its weight class and attempt to overwhelm it. it killed a d'deridex, after an akira and 2 defiant class focused fired on it off screen. at first the ship might seem uber, but like so many trek battles, they are written to aggrandize the small hero ship or favor the enemy underdog. i left out have the tacticly superior large battleship overwhelmingly squash the smaller ship, that never gets to happen. well, except once, when the valiant picked a fight with that huge jem hadar ship.

people are pretty hyped about the prom, but thats mainly because it was the newest ship. and they think new=most powerful, without exception. being big or small actually maters the most, and being most advanced, for a short time, means the least. becase the new tech just became part of the starfleet parts bins, and they upgrade ships constantly with new tech.

im sure they loved writing for voyager. they finally had the ship they were awkwardly writing for throughout tng. the small, vulnerable, underdog.

Disagree. she maybe a light cruiser but she packs a punch and her main card is MVAM. We saw it disable a nebula and destroy a D'Deridex. and she was designed during a time of war. and size of array isn't everything.. Again I said fused prommie would be at disadvatage to a Galaxy, split it has edge.
    edited June 2013
    that dd kill was addressed in the post you just quoted.
    getting the last salvo in on a ship that just got bombarded by an akira & defiant isnt that much of an achievment.

now, the akira, thats a fEd combat vessel.

thery're was 3 D'Ds so not sure on that
    edited June 2013

I doubt it would lose and what this the FC?
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited June 2013
    I doubt it would lose and what this the FC?

Fc is First Contact. we see a major ship design change from TNG to First Contact.
    edited June 2013
    Fc is First Contact. we see a major ship design change from TNG to First Contact.

What does FC have to with this though and how was the ship redesigned?
    Star Trek Gamers
This discussion has been closed.