test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

stuck on "Retrieving list of characters..."

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    same thing here stuck retrieving and i had just made Lt. Commander. But these things happen and they do work to resolve the issue so if nothing esle i can go annoy the wife for a while.
    edited January 2010
    Weee i'm here on the "Retrieving list of characters" side again! Great fun!

So far i've had a total of 4 hours ingame time... out of a total available of 12... not cool!
    edited January 2010
    Yep went to login and I am stuck there.
    edited January 2010
    happened to me once more
    the transition between zones gets longer and longer until it takes like 10 minutes and finally it gets stuck and after restart im in the "retrieving list of characters" wagon
    edited January 2010
    Okay, have stripped and cleaned my PC, set up some moitoring software ready for when my system crashes out on my (again), and still can't get back in.

Starting to wonder if the problem is my end (pardon the expression...)

<edit> And as I finish typing this, a message pops up saying the shard's coming down for emergency maintenance. Oh well </edit>
    edited January 2010
    I am stuck on this screen as well right now...
  • aidanofklingonaidanofklingon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been waiting for Romulans for ages and now the game wont load the list of characters i just keep getting a failed for unknown reasons.
  • millacanomillacano Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    same here was gonna try this game out after a freind has told me how fun the community is .. alas i will have to wait until i wake up in the morning
    "I don't care What Spock said Han shot first"
  • bierfreiherrbierfreiherr Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    same problem here - cannot connect to login server..
  • acerrato24acerrato24 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    me too and I have none of the items from the legacy pack
  • luciusabernathyluciusabernathy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gotta love doing a two hour patch after watching updates on this game posted to FB every day since the initial announcement only to get nothing. Just glad I'm having the same issue as everyone else.
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not everybody has this issue, I were in teamspeak with 10 other people and they didnt have any problems witht he game, no 8 hour download times on the patch, no login issues, they are playing just fine, but I'm not able to login due to "login failing for unknown reason" after checking on characters for a minute
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • torbktorbk Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So very, very annoyed.

So far I have had 0 hours ingame post-update:
    -Despite pre-patching given incredibly slow new patch which finished after 4 hours.
    -When patched whenever I restart or try to otherwise log in I get loading characters and disconnect unkown.
    -This is particularly ruining since a) I was stupid enough to get Legacy and;
    -Stupid me b) I placed one of my summer-holiday weeks this week. Talk about wasting a holiday week.
    The user formerly known as Khern!
    I hate the fact Perfect World force-joined STO and PW accounts...
  • christopher0184christopher0184 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OH yeah back and with a vengeance!!! EPIC FAIL CRYPTIC!

I believe you mean "EPIC FAIL PERFECT WORLD", since they currently own/run the game.

Also, I'm stuck in the Earth Space Dock loading screen.
    Strike%2C_S.Rouge%2C_Freedom.png
    Primary ship: U.S.S. Lacus Clyne, Dyson Science Destroyer/U.S.S. Fausticorn, Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer
    Secondary ship: U.S.S. Rainbow Dash, Odyssey Tactical Cruiser/I.S.S. Princess Cadance, Mirror Assault Cruiser
    Tertiary ship: I.S.S. Freedom Gundam, Mirror Deep Space Science Vessel
    My YouTube Channel
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have tried to log in about 8 times with no luck. I get stuck at the point where it is trying to load characters. It fails for some unknown reason.

What fun!
  • stormangel2001stormangel2001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    indyshark wrote: »
    I have tried to log in about 8 times with no luck. I get stuck at the point where it is trying to load characters. It fails for some unknown reason.

What fun!

same issue here its driving me crazy grr
  • edwardsparrow1edwardsparrow1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was having some issues with the "login failed", 3rd times a charm.......finally logged in
  • champbaccachampbacca Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You won't believe me, but... I just got past that message!

Now it's server not responding (400s) and counting. Yai.
    ____
    "Have you tried reversing the polarity of the neutron flow?" - T'Raava, captain of the U.S.S. Gordon Shumway
  • trixiefantrixiefan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I managed to log in, delete two old low level characters and make 2 new ones, play with them for a bit when I went to change character I got "login failed for unknown reason" now I have to wait on "retrieving characters" and having that fail continually with "unknown reason". Bah such fail.
  • omegaphi93omegaphi93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was able to play at first but once I logged out for dinner, I came back only to be stuck at this screen too, only mine eventually went to "unable to connect to login server: timed out "
    BRIDGER@omegaphi93 - 12th Fleet - Exploration Divison
  • rustysurfingrustysurfing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i really do love spending 2.5 hours downloading a patch, just to not be able to log in at all and play. guess i'll have to check it out next week once I get back from a work trip.

Thanks Perfect World. Well done.
  • stormangel2001stormangel2001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    game was also so laggy they really need to fix alot of stuff
  • draconin2000#1616 draconin2000 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem... :P
  • gmokmoudgmokmoud Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get the "Timed Out" error message, then if I try to log in again I get a "Unknown Error" message.

So far, I've been able to log in ONCE since downloading the patch.

Utterly ridiculous is all I can say, especially for something I have a subscription for...utterly ridiculous.
  • chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=692681

see my last post what seemed ot solve the issue. AT least for me....
  • bvsnitrobvsnitro Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gmokmoud wrote: »
    I get the "Timed Out" error message, then if I try to log in again I get a "Unknown Error" message.

So far, I've been able to log in ONCE since downloading the patch.

Utterly ridiculous is all I can say, especially for something I have a subscription for...utterly ridiculous.

You get what you pay for..... Right now that would be TRIBBLE. Is it too late to get our money back untill the game works?
  • zalzanyzalzany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=692681

see my last post what seemed ot solve the issue. AT least for me....

Problem with that fix is it just lets more into the busted server, when it should be shutting down. Not only that if you did get that trick to work, it would be throwing off the poor IT guys who would be scratching their heads harder as some people started trickling in while others are not.
    bvsnitro wrote: »
    You get what you pay for..... Right now that would be TRIBBLE. Is it too late to get our money back untill the game works?

Standard MMO protocol is quietly add the missing hours back, and not draw attention to it. So refunding for them providing you the services you paid for, well you may need a little work on that case.
  • scipunk1973scipunk1973 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Down for me as well, i either get the stuck at retrieving screen or i get booted saying unknown error or timeout.
  • zalzanyzalzany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice I got to see my character list during one attempt, then it timed out retrieving maps... baby steps I suppose.
  • robdblackwolfrobdblackwolf Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right now I assume the login servers are swamped, since it is a major content update, everyone who ever played STO is going to try it out. The only way out of this would be to upgrade the servers/install servers, which would cost a lot of money, only to be unnecessary in a couple of days again.
    Furthermore, I think we are getting the boot, as subscriber would get preferential login rights. After all, THEY are paying for it, I'm not.

I am playing MMO's since 2001, this hasn't changed from then, nor will it EVER change. Major patch day = major glitch day. It's almost a natural law.