test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

stuck on "Retrieving list of characters..."

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    If you guys did not have the servers to handle so many people , why did you let so many copies of the game be sold.
    edited January 2010
    Delanis wrote:
    Can I have a smiley too??? Can I???

You get multiple smilies for having an intelligent post =]=]=]=]=]=]=]
    edited January 2010
    "Owning" just seriously escapes some people.
    edited January 2010
    Ahh!!
    I'm to amped up...Must play...
    edited January 2010
    Tarin_TDF wrote:
    im just going to play mass effect :cool:

.................:D
    edited January 2010
    Fleet so far?
    edited January 2010
    they need to add a 'cancel' button to the loading screens...I'm getting sick of having to ctrl,alt,del everytime my game stops in the middle of loading....
    edited January 2010
    TheFiddler wrote: »
    Oh, and a little side note, in addition to not having to pay for the game until the 8th of February, I have already received 3 of my preorder goodies (U.S.S Enterprise, Two Borg BO's). So far I'm feeling relatively well treated by the game seeing as it isn't released for another few days.

ahh man you get to play the borg. luck. I bought mine off of steam. so I get the orginal Uss Enterprize uniforms.

also as i can't link what i get heres a pasted version of it.

Original Star Trek Uniform Set: Three uniforms from the original series (blue, red, yellow).
    Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote: An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
    Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote: Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture –the blood wine toast.
    Unique Registry Prefix: Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.
    Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

Steam Exclusive Pre-Purchase Offer
    Chromodynamic Armor: This armor is based on technology brought back from the Delta Quadrant by U.S.S. Voyager and is personal body armor that improves the damage and critical hits of your energy weapons.

Bonus attributes for the armor:

6.1% Physical Resistance
    6.1% Kinetic Resistance
    2.6% Energy Resistance
    +15% Critical Damage
    +5% Critical Chance
    +3% Energy Damage

Steam pre-purchase customers will also receive access to the Pre-Purchase Beta and the Early Start Program, which allows players to get a leg up on other interstellar explorers by accessing the Star Trek universe the weekend prior to the game launch.
    edited January 2010
    Not right now it isn't. :-(

This is getting old quick.

We keep getting DCed and server is not responding or log in has timed out.
    Or Sever is down
    Enough all ready
    edited January 2010
    davewyld wrote: »
    If you guys did not have the servers to handle so many people , why did you let so many copies of the game be sold.

To make more money, thought that was obvious. Sales Makes Money, Server Cost Money
    edited January 2010
    Oohh...I here by promote myself to Capt. Stubbing.
    edited January 2010
    These companies have large amounts of money. This hold up is at our cost. the cost of waiting ....
    edited January 2010
    Still no official word, and it's been about an hour yah?

That's sucky.

At least the login form for the forums isn't tied to the login server... Seems they learned that much from Blizzard ;) LOL.

WELL, Unfortunately I am now a little annoyed, so I am going to go play Nintendo DS or re-read the Wheel of Time series, since I am a huge dork and apparently have a lot of time on my hands now.

I understand outages. Really, I do. I understand that things go wrong. But there are certain times in life when one needs to be prepared, such as 11pm on a Saturday, and an employee should be designated in advance to post a nice, comforting little forum entry to help alleviate the costs of player disgruntlement; which, in about 5 minutes, is going to amount to the cost of both my copies of the Collectors Edition and the subscription for my characters. I think this will end up as follows:

$160 -- 2 copies of collectors edition
    $359.76 -- Approximate subscription costs for 2 copies for approx. 1 year
    $519.76 -- Total Cost incurred to Cryptic for my disgruntlement

Now multiply that by some unknown factor of unknown personages, and we have a very unfortunate incident.

Seems that the small cost of some techno-boob monitoring and posting updates on the forums for us disenchanted pre-orderees would have been worth it.
    edited January 2010
    Worst Case Scenario If you paid by credit card you could always chargeback- or Paypal- "Item Not Same As Described" I suppose..

I'm just wondering if anyone will ever give us a ETA or add something to the customer service page about what's going on at least- it's been well over 75 minutes now and I havn't seen any word yet from cryptic on the News Forum
    edited January 2010
    I get you can not access this server at this time when I try to log on.
    edited January 2010
    Delanis wrote:
    Still no official word, and it's been about an hour yah?

That's sucky.

At least the login form for the forums isn't tied to the login server... Seems they learned that much from Blizzard ;) LOL.

WELL, Unfortunately I am now a little annoyed, so I am going to go play Nintendo DS or re-read the Wheel of Time series, since I am a huge dork and apparently have a lot of time on my hands now.

I understand outages. Really, I do. I understand that things go wrong. But there are certain times in life when one needs to be prepared, such as 11pm on a Saturday, and an employee should be designated in advance to post a nice, comforting little forum entry to help alleviate the costs of player disgruntlement; which, in about 5 minutes, is going to amount to the cost of both my copies of the Collectors Edition and the subscription for my characters. I think this will end up as follows:

$160 -- 2 copies of collectors edition
    $359.76 -- Approximate subscription costs for 2 copies for approx. 1 year
    $519.76 -- Total Cost incurred to Cryptic for my disgruntlement

Now multiply that by some unknown factor of unknown personages, and we have a very unfortunate incident.

Seems that the small cost of some techno-boob monitoring and posting updates on the forums for us disenchanted pre-orderees would have been worth it.

Well,

I am done eating my Tofu Pate, and thus I am done with STO outage waiting. Maybe, if I see a patch with some release notes when I passively attempt to login tomorrow, I will consider sticking around and giving you my $500.
    edited January 2010
    Delanis wrote:
    Well,

I am done eating my Tofu Pate, and thus I am done with STO outage waiting. Maybe, if I see a patch with some release notes when I passively attempt to login tomorrow, I will consider sticking around and giving you my $500.

Also, I noticed you sneaked a patch in today with no release notes. Uncool, Cryptic.

-Un- Cool.
    edited January 2010
    LMAO
    i was really close to spending around $500 too......
    i'm thinking someone has saved me some money!
    edited January 2010
    People need to chill out.

This happens with every single MMO that comes out. No launch goes perfect, there are always bugs. The WoW launch, the servers were up for 4 hours, then down for another 10. They are gonna fix it, and it will take as long as it takes.

Go play another game for a bit, read a book, or get some sleep. But complaining about it on the forum isn't gonna get it fixed.

Welcome to our imperfect world.
    edited January 2010
    I wondering if looking at how things have been handeled so far is this is a view of things to come? In beta I got the feeling that the game was rushed out the door, and now as its to go live the affect of that is being seen....

Ive been around MMO's for years and have been apart of 5 different major MMO launches and of course everyone of them had problems at first, its a given. I havent played one that has had this many problems with the core game itself and the servers all in one and still plans to go live? If this was a month out before release then I could understand but im at a loss of words with this
    edited January 2010
    Agreed.

There's no such thing as a perfect programmer, and making a game is, in essence, collaborative imperfection.

The server claims to be up- if this is the case, I gotta say these guys were much more on the ball than any other MMO I've ever been involved with.
    edited January 2010
    It sucks alot of the fun out of the game with all the crashes when changing zones and the constant trouble logging on......

Its kinda incredible that something like this hasn't been fixed yet..... it's not like this issue is something new.

Fix it Cryptic!
    edited January 2010
    Happening again.
    edited January 2010
    HATE that ****. Down again, same time as last night
    On the clock :P
    edited January 2010
    If you played the beta you expected this. They are not ready to launch the game. It's still a good year away from being ready to launch. And when the live date actually hits, you can expect to not play for weeks.
    edited January 2010
    Eskimo wrote: »
    Happening again.

yep, again.
    edited January 2010
    Stuck here as well...

Meh. Time to check the nVidia site for new updated drivers to fix my overheating problems... Or give my PC a damn good cleanout. Or both.
    edited January 2010
    Same here, cant seem to load character list.
    edited January 2010
    Well, it's not the worst opening ever, as someone a ways back was hinting at (Darkfall. Anyone here involved in that?), but it's annoying. These things always are.

One thing to have ingame bugs, another thing in the opening week for people to be unable to play the game for long periods at a time. That can hurt the bottom line. And, as I write this, Tyrone just popped up, ready to play, so I imagine they feel it's a problem too. =)
    edited January 2010
    Just made it in.