test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unscheduled/Emergency Network Maintenance (May 9, 2013) (Complete!)

Comments

• thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -Shrug- To be more inline with the 'peanut gallery and their constant opinion spam btw. I've always been pretty blase about a 'system failure' over at Cryptic. Mostly because about 8 months ago I was still in a situation where I would have random interwebz dropouts because the provider I was forced to use was third-rate at best. End result, this really doesn't bother me so much because I'm actually kinda used to STO unexpectedly dropping out from under me so to speak.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited May 2013
    They are upgrading to the steve austin bionic tribble que theme music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zNY0I5JNI

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like to rub cocoa butter on my balls

MMmmm, Butterball.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ef261 wrote: »
    The next time there's a maintenance, can it PLEASE not be right when everyone in the UK is coming home from work, or school? -_-

I second this... :cool:

Which part of 'unscheduled/emergency' did you not get? You can't really control when emergencies happen.
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    THIS. Uk players are not 2nd class thanks very much...

Way i sees it is you folks have tea with your dinner, we have coffee with our breakfast. You read your newspapers and watch your TV, well so do we.. You all play STO and so do we, but none of us are playing right now.. No second class citizens here. We're all screwed out of valuable free time that we had hoped to spend relaxing with our favorite game..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jsck82 wrote: »
    Yeah, seems someone forgot about DST, which started a month ago there... outdated as it is, I'm wondering if he's been early for work or school this last month...

Oh the arrogence of you weird ones. It's BST over here, now get that into your head or I will have to spank you :P
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sunseahl wrote: »
    The waiting 2000 years kind

the completely ignored in every episode kind

or the dying in every other episode kind?

No, a Rory McGrath.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It was UNsceduled. How difficult is that to understand?

Its a conspiracy suuuure they saaay it's un-scheduled but we know better don't we?
  • qrtrmstrqrtrmstr Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bran...this is not good. As I discussed the communications person on FB (since the initial crashes were only being posted there) LoR is a tremendous undertaking. I, along with hordes of other real 1000+ day players and lifetime members such as myself are attempting to balance support with frustration and fear. With LoR coming, the issues going on are creating an image of complete instability. I know personal friends in game and IRL that are planning on returning to STO in 12 days for launch...I anticipate a lot of player returning to check out the new u/i, re-finished Drozana station, and of course the Romulan stuff...but it's been nearly daily now...combined we're talking at least 1.5 days of down time. The devs propagate fixes and then it all crashes or we have these emergency issues. It's player like us who try and keep things positive, remain supportive, and try and minimize the exodus of players that has been going on. Published or not, we all know the numbers are down...but even our patience gets worn thin. This makes it really difficult for us to stay positive and talk to players about why they should remain and not go back to WoW. I don't want what happened to CoH/CoV to happen here. None of us vested/invested players want that. So while you try and manage things, perhaps the week leading up to LoR's launch, you
    Should announce an extended down time of 48 hours. Take everything down and make it right, actually fix the problems going on, be the GOTY that you are supposed to be, the GOTY you won for a reason. Players understand server problems but what's happened really had been quite ridiculous and unacceptable. There is still buzz all over the Internet and CNET about EA's disaster with Sim City's reboot, with even the games creator speaking out against EA and Maxis. This is not the sort of publicity STO/Cryptic/PW needs. You only get to launch something once...if you guys TRIBBLE this up, we all suffer. Please try and remember that people talk TRIBBLE because their frustrated, but these same people completely count on you guys and your ability to be stable...this is a great game, IMO, the best MMO created, and I don't want to lose something I am so personally invested in...a lot of hours have gone into gear and sets...prior to the F2P and Rep systems...please, just don't TRIBBLE this launch up...we are all counting on this to bring the numbers back, to get large fleet and more tier 5 fleets and reduced load times for STF's because players are back and running events. Please do whatever it is you need to do to get this right.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been on the internet since 1996 or 97.

In that time I've been a lot of places and met a lot of people.

One of the few constants is that people from England usually can't read English.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »
    Its a conspiracy suuuure they saaay it's un-scheduled but we know better don't we?

Someone should hack them and post the schedule for unscheduled maintenance. That would show 'em!
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think people realize that a full network server isn't the same as a regular home computer.

When you have a hardware failure with a home computer more often than not it's as simple as going to store, buying the new part, and then slapping it in and maybe a little software installation.

Hardware failures on a network server can really severely effect other components as well. Not only that, but it's not as simple as just going to the store for new parts and then just slapping it in. Often times you have to order parts, and then after installing the new components there's a lot of reconfiguration that has to be done.

We don't know which hardware component originally failed, so we don't know if it was a cascading effect with other components that is causing the addition problems and needing more parts to be ordered or if it's issues with configuring because of the new parts.

either way all of this takes time, time and popcorn :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I shall be playing Call Of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth while I wait
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mecteshmectesh Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »
    There is no downtine

Okay, now you're just forking with us. That's not knife, and you'll spoon regret it. :rolleyes:
    Mac mini Server (mid 2011): 2GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
  • alphaphasertechalphaphasertech Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Somehow this is appropriate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY

Lol, just reached for a pair of aviators, the power of the rage on this site is so bright I gotta wear shades. :D
    "If the Iconians come, and we're not ready... Well, let's just say these petty arguments won't mean a thing." - Vice Admiral Thomas Bouwman of the Starsiders
  • cookiemnster35cookiemnster35 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Only page 42? We need to reach page 100 before maintenance is complete and this is closed.

[sings]
    Data: Ragers! You tiny little ragers! You precious little ragers! Where are you?
  • x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really, the servers are down again?

This is getting beyond a joke, but does make me laugh how peopel were saying "be grateful they have done over time" during the last maintenance, seems like all they do is eat cake and not actually fix anything.
  • lilsnowhoelilsnowhoe Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All these upset people complaining about a few hours of downtime and I'm just over here like, "Hey, I made pancakes!" :P
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    Which part of 'unscheduled/emergency' did you not get? You can't really control when emergencies happen.

Ya knoowwwww, if Nexon were running the game the servers would never go down except for announced scheduled down times.. Unfortunately we'd also probably be flying around the universe on cute mother gooses looking for really badly done klingon ogres while a pet mushroom bounced happily along.. ::sigh::
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • ssjtrunkxsssjtrunkxs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay this i starting to happen way to often. isolate your servers and scrap neverwinter. As it seems to be the root of all evil
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I made peanut butter sandwiches
    Live long and Prosper
  • daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Found out whats wrong with the server techs, Cryptic ran outta RAID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vr9LnogLM
  • mattyou4mattyou4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tangolight wrote: »

we should get compensation for all this i say a free respect or sum-think along the lines of that ..... yess we are all pi..d off with loosing out on so much game play we need to get sum-think back to restore are faith in the dev's !!!!!! :P
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I fear for the 21st at this point...
    edited May 2013
    qrtrmstr wrote: »
    Bran...this is not good. -Snip-
    Sorry about the snip, just thought it was necessary given the wall of text that you posted there. In any event, wow, this must be a first for me. I don't think I've ever seen someone post a well reasoned explination as to their concerns about current events regarding the Server issues we've been having for the past several days. Well done sir, however, on that note, I wonder how long it'll take for the mindless drooling incompentants that seem to be on here so much to have an effect on you...;)
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • fangs94fangs94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ef261 wrote: »
    The next time there's a maintenance, can it PLEASE not be right when everyone in the UK is coming home from work, or school? -_-

:mad: 100% agreed :mad:
  • jsck82jsck82 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    Ya knoowwwww, if Nexon were running the game the servers would never go down except for announced scheduled down times.. Unfortunately we'd also probably be flying around the universe on cute mother gooses looking for really badly done klingon ogres while a pet mushroom bounced happily along.. ::sigh::

...while someone used a knife from somewhere unreachable on the map, killing everything instantly.
  • deezy611deezy611 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To all of you who say that the paid subscribers should quit whining (as they choose to pay) I say:

If NOBODY paid, what would you F2Pers be playing right now? You can't play for free something that doesn't exist, and this doesn't exist unless someone's paying for it.

You're not looking at this like a business. I imagine Cryptic's execs are, and they will make some changes sooner or later that will result in better system availability/staff accountability.
  • lonestar1017lonestar1017 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This will most likely be an unpopular post...

I love my Star Trek, and love STO. I appreciate the service Cryptic provides us. Mostly for free. I have made friends here, that money can't buy. Right now Cryptic is working hard to keep us with our games. I for one miss my STO but fully understand the need for maintenance, scheduled or otherwise.

I am in the game so much, I just wish I could get a job as an ingame PR rep. Then I could turn something I love in to a job.

At any rate, Thanks to all the people keeping us going. You are the real heros of STO, and the other MMO's.
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    I don't think people realize that a full network server isn't the same as a regular home computer.

When you have a hardware failure with a home computer more often than not it's as simple as going to store, buying the new part, and then slapping it in and maybe a little software installation.

Hardware failures on a network server can really severely effect other components as well. Not only that, but it's not as simple as just going to the store for new parts and then just slapping it in. Often times you have to order parts, and then after installing the new components there's a lot of reconfiguration that has to be done.

We don't know which hardware component originally failed, so we don't know if it was a cascading effect with other components that is causing the addition problems and needing more parts to be ordered or if it's issues with configuring because of the new parts.

either way all of this takes time, time and popcorn :D

lol, been through two and a half bags of popcorn already mate. I don't know why, but all this threatening of ragequits and such entertains me. -shrug- I find idiocy abhorrent, but also amusing at times and in certain circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.