test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unscheduled/Emergency Network Maintenance (May 9, 2013) (Complete!)

Comments

• Options
    theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Hey Sollvax! Nice to see you've come to bring some sense to this thread! ;)

Not to bother because you're rolling and all, but you do understand players do have cause to be perturbed by all the downtime, right? One multi-hour outage every two days or so is a bit beyond reasonable expectation of server downtime, here. No, not everyone is being reasonable in return, but approaching the situation as if the default position should be "shut up and take it" and any deviation is entitled whining is equally unreasonable. If you don't like the fact people aren't happy with all the unscheduled downtimes, just don't bother with the thread. Go do something else, which is what I believe you've told others.

Now, that said, you do understand that keeping goodwill and faith with customers is important for a service-provider, right? It's not that all of this is avoidable, nor customers have no-right to complain, but happy customers are still repeat customers. It's not the unhappy players who are buying zen, monthlies, or LTS's, here. It's not even the unhappy F2P players who are here giving paid subscribers people to play with -- they would be the first to bail, especially since as F2P players they're least-invested in the game and have no real loss taking their leisure time elsewhere.

It's not as if there is no common ground here -- everyone here at least gives enough of a TRIBBLE about the game to post, whatever their intention, sentiment, or goal. I'm sure there are trolls on either side, but that is ubiquitous and cannot be treated as the baseline for any meaningful dialogue.

Now, speaking about compensation for the downtimes. You understand that were PWE/Cryptic to do it, and do it in the correct way, they stand to promo LoR, build goodwill, and make more money off it than they stand to lose, correct? Hell, look at SoE's "welcome back" mea culpa after the PSN outage two years ago -- they didn't just restore customer goodwill, they actually made money despite comping PSN users a $30 game and having to pay out numerous fines and legal settlements. That's not catering to "whiny, entitled masses", that's good business sense as customer goodwill, as an intangible, is the most important investment a company can make in the long-term. Arguing against that, in some well-intended I'm sure but myopic principled stand, is foolish.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,426 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Page 50. Halfway through so keep it going folks.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deezy611 wrote: »
    Not my point. I wasn't addressing the complaining, I was addressing the "You don't HAVE to pay" response to the complaints. If NO one pays, no one PLAYS. Do you disagree?

Yes. I do. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    treking2treking2 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just one of many unanswered questions to ponder:

Why is it that every scheduled/unscheduled/emergency maintenance occurs
    during either a fleet marks event, or a dilithium mining event?

Could it be that they either schedule these things deliberately to coincide,
    or that the extra network load during these events causes the "emergency"?

Just saying ;-)
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mectesh wrote: »
    Actually, it's the Mk XII fleet servers that are stable, but as we're all here posting instead of grinding Cryptic rep, the server room isn't up to tier 5 yet. :cool:

I thought it was the EPS conduit that was only a blue mkIV?
  • Options
    tyrannoswordtyrannosword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't believe this! Technology never goes wrong in the Star Trek universe!!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's A Game...

Not a life support machine for the criminally entitled.

Chillax...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013

LOL ain't that the truth!

*Somewhere at Cryptic HQ, consoles continue to explode and decimate the red shirt population*
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't do you any good to get stressed

So yeah chillax dudes
    make a sandwich
    watch JJ kirks horrible death on you tube
    watch the Real kirk fight the Gorn
    sing a little song
    or post a few happy things

it will all be back up soon
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    txn8vtxn8v Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deezy611 wrote: »
    Not my point. I wasn't addressing the complaining, I was addressing the "You don't HAVE to pay" response to the complaints. If NO one pays, no one PLAYS. Do you disagree?

I doubt there are all that many people out there that are FTP that NEVER buy anything from the C-store.

I have spend many a real coin contributing to Cryptics bank accounts.
    "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin charge around here." - Jane Cobb
  • Options
    globus4globus4 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow more down time so soon. emergency sounds critical, is the game about to die? then why schedule prime-time day-time down time. it becomes a joke the more frequent this garbage becomes:eek:
  • Options
    ridinginkridingink Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks like all of their games are down. I just tried to get into Neverwinter. Likely more of a server problem then the STO teams fault. Give them some slack!
    bb8ec35.png

• Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Page 50. Halfway through so keep it going folks.

I don't know. Posts are slowing down. I'm actually considering getting up out of this chair.
  • Options
    alphaphasertechalphaphasertech Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I think we need Chief O'Brien to fix the servers.
    "If the Iconians come, and we're not ready... Well, let's just say these petty arguments won't mean a thing." - Vice Admiral Thomas Bouwman of the Starsiders
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If we all donate 200k Dil ,would it be done any faster? :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't know. Posts are slowing down. I'm actually considering getting up out of this chair.

You scared me there for a second.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't do THAT, who knows what might happen if you do... you might even -gasp- go... outside.... :P
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Don't do that, you'll miss out on the Gorn jokes.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    You scared me there for a second.

Hell, I scared myself!
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I'm patching now at least. Login Server's up but the Game server's not ready yet I'd imagine.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »

You're too late.

He's already Gorn.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »

I'm not entirely convinced that the Gorn jokes are gorna happen.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    pincopalleropincopallero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont mind that servers are going down for mantainance, its all for a good porpous :rolleyes: .When this happends I just play other PW games :D .Everything is down and thats a pity, after a long time beeing away from STO I was exited to kill a few Borgs... I hope new frontiers will be broken in the game development of this game.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for one day. Teach him the art of fishing and he will eat forever.
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now, this is a story all about how
    My server got flipped-turned upside down
    And I'd like to take a minute
    Just sit right there
    I'll tell you how I became the victim of Neverwinter despair

In west California hosted and praised
    On STO was where I spent most of my days
    Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
    And all shootin some klinks bein' a fool
    When a couple of Elves who were up to no good
    Started making trouble in my neighborhood
    I got in one little fight and my server got scared
    Its said 'You're movin' with your - Unable to connect to patch server...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    najamesk1najamesk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sunseahl wrote: »
    The waiting 2000 years kind

the completely ignored in every episode kind

or the dying in every other episode kind?

You. I like you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ozy83 wrote: »
    Just sit right there

You win. Thread over. Everyone go home.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    God I hope not!

That's cold.. blooded.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    God I hope not!

Kevin Costner's Vortaworld.
  • Options
    delikatesadelikatesa Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ozy83 wrote: »
    Just sit right there

LMAO good one
  • Options
    qrtrmstrqrtrmstr Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bran...this is not good. As I discussed the communications person on FB (since the initial crashes were only being posted there) LoR is a tremendous undertaking. I, along with hordes of other real 1000+ day players and lifetime members such as myself are attempting to balance support with frustration and fear. With LoR coming, the issues going on are creating an image of complete instability. I know personal friends in game and IRL that are planning on returning to STO in 12 days for launch...I anticipate a lot of player returning to check out the new u/i, re-finished Drozana station, and of course the Romulan stuff...but it's been nearly daily now...combined we're talking at least 1.5 days of down time. The devs propagate fixes and then it all crashes or we have these emergency issues. It's player like us who try and keep things positive, remain supportive, and try and minimize the exodus of players that has been going on. Published or not, we all know the numbers are down...but even our patience gets worn thin. This makes it really difficult for us to stay positive and talk to players about why they should remain and not go back to WoW. I don't want what happened to CoH/CoV to happen here. None of us vested/invested players want that. So while you try and manage things, perhaps the week leading up to LoR's launch, you
    Should announce an extended down time of 48 hours. Take everything down and make it right, actually fix the problems going on, be the GOTY that you are supposed to be, the GOTY you won for a reason. Players understand server problems but what's happened really had been quite ridiculous and unacceptable. There is still buzz all over the Internet and CNET about EA's disaster with Sim City's reboot, with even the games creator speaking out against EA and Maxis. This is not the sort of publicity STO/Cryptic/PW needs. You only get to launch something once...if you guys TRIBBLE this up, we all suffer. Please try and remember that people talk TRIBBLE because their frustrated, but these same people completely count on you guys and your ability to be stable...this is a great game, IMO, the best MMO created, and I don't want to lose something I am so personally invested in...a lot of hours have gone into gear and sets...prior to the F2P and Rep systems...please, just don't TRIBBLE this launch up...we are all counting on this to bring the numbers back, to get large fleet and more tier 5 fleets and reduced load times for STF's because players are back and running events. Please do whatever it is you need to do to get this right.

For the player whom said that I would be affected by the mindless drones of complainers lol I say the "I shall resist you with my last ounce of strength!" ~Capt Jean-Luc Picard
This discussion has been closed.