test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unscheduled/Emergency Network Maintenance (May 9, 2013) (Complete!)

Comments

• Options
    lonestar1017lonestar1017 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This will most likely be an unpopular post...

I love my Star Trek, and love STO. I appreciate the service Cryptic provides us. Mostly for free. I have made friends here, that money can't buy. Right now Cryptic is working hard to keep us with our games. I for one miss my STO but fully understand the need for maintenance, scheduled or otherwise.

I am in the game so much, I just wish I could get a job as an ingame PR rep. Then I could turn something I love in to a job.

At any rate, Thanks to all the people keeping us going. You are the real heros of STO, and the other MMO's.
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    I don't think people realize that a full network server isn't the same as a regular home computer.

When you have a hardware failure with a home computer more often than not it's as simple as going to store, buying the new part, and then slapping it in and maybe a little software installation.

Hardware failures on a network server can really severely effect other components as well. Not only that, but it's not as simple as just going to the store for new parts and then just slapping it in. Often times you have to order parts, and then after installing the new components there's a lot of reconfiguration that has to be done.

We don't know which hardware component originally failed, so we don't know if it was a cascading effect with other components that is causing the addition problems and needing more parts to be ordered or if it's issues with configuring because of the new parts.

either way all of this takes time, time and popcorn :D

lol, been through two and a half bags of popcorn already mate. I don't know why, but all this threatening of ragequits and such entertains me. -shrug- I find idiocy abhorrent, but also amusing at times and in certain circumstances.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    erathielerathiel Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I fear for the 21st at this point...

Same here, but we can only wait and cross our fingers and hope than they will not destroy anything on that day.
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    No, a Rory McGrath.

As In Cole McGrath?
    wufangchu wrote: »
    Way i sees it is you folks have tea with your dinner, we have coffee with our breakfast. You read your newspapers and watch your TV, well so do we.. You all play STO and so do we, but none of us are playing right now.. No second class citizens here. We're all screwed out of valuable free time that we had hoped to spend relaxing with our favorite game..

Indeed
    sollvax wrote: »
    Well I made peanut butter sandwiches

Me too :D
    fangs94 wrote: »
    :mad: 100% agreed :mad:

Fraking Moron
    deezy611 wrote: »
    To all of you who say that the paid subscribers should quit whining (as they choose to pay) I say:

If NOBODY paid, what would you F2Pers be playing right now? You can't play for free something that doesn't exist, and this doesn't exist unless someone's paying for it.

You're not looking at this like a business. I imagine Cryptic's execs are, and they will make some changes sooner or later that will result in better system availability/staff accountability.

I have subed, F2p'd, bought a LTS worth of **** from the C-store and so on and you dont hear me ***** about downtime
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jsck82 wrote: »
    ...while someone used a knife from somewhere unreachable on the map, killing everything instantly.

Aint that the bloody truth :lol:::
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    txn8vtxn8v Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It was UNsceduled. How difficult is that to understand?

Kinda strange that it "Unexpectedly" went down right when normal weekly maintenance would be performed. Also, I thought that the Emergencyrepairs on Tuesday was gonna alleviate all the DC's and other failures?
    "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin charge around here." - Jane Cobb
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    According to the Neverwinter devs, it seems that what happened was a new piece of hardware was delivered and as anybody who has ever bought a computer upgrade knows, they just cannot be put off from being installed. So hopefully the new hardware, whatever it is, will put an end to some of the rubber-banding we have seen recently.

Personally I do last about 2 hours tops from receiving upgrade to stripping pc to fit it. The one exception is that after 5 months I still haven't installed windows 8.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    djezc#0623 djezc Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    down time dose seem to be way more often than it use to be but i love my starships i love my characters.. i love lamp
  • Options
    benh316benh316 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Damn it now I have to speak to my kids!
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just subbed as a gold subscriber...basically for the extra bank slots and other stuff, and on the same day the server go boom boom...

Lovely...
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Take your time guys. Its a great game, with good people running it. She will be back up and running again.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    According to the Neverwinter devs, it seems that what happened was a new piece of hardware was delivered and as anybody who has ever bought a computer upgrade knows, they just cannot be put off from being installed. So hopefully the new hardware, whatever it is, will put an end to some of the rubber-banding we have seen recently.

Personally I do last about 2 hours tops from receiving upgrade to stripping pc to fit it. The one exception is that after 5 months I still haven't installed windows 8.

They could have properly scheduled that installation and let us know ahead of time.... makes me mad
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0ligy wrote: »

But, but it's true bananas do equal happy.
    benh316 wrote: »

Nope just send them to their room.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    benh316 wrote: »

Get a dog and a laser pointer and forget about them
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Your record still stands. Windows 8 isn't an upgrade. :D
  • Options
    arkyboyarkyboy Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like to rub cocoa butter on my balls

Don't ya hate it when people give a little too much info....I know I do....Well, I will talk with you all later, I have to go TRIBBLE now. :D
    [img][/img]Screenshot%2067_zps8ijfhubt.png
  • Options
    romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know folks... it takes about 3 hours to have a funeral for a hamster, go to the petshop, choose a new one, get it back and let it settle down with the rest of the group... right now they should be at the reminiscing fond memories with sandwiches and coffee stage...
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    I don't think people realize that a full network server isn't the same as a regular home computer.

When you have a hardware failure with a home computer more often than not it's as simple as going to store, buying the new part, and then slapping it in and maybe a little software installation.

Hardware failures on a network server can really severely effect other components as well. Not only that, but it's not as simple as just going to the store for new parts and then just slapping it in. Often times you have to order parts, and then after installing the new components there's a lot of reconfiguration that has to be done.

We don't know which hardware component originally failed, so we don't know if it was a cascading effect with other components that is causing the addition problems and needing more parts to be ordered or if it's issues with configuring because of the new parts.

either way all of this takes time, time and popcorn :D

Oh, I understand that just fine. I know that it's not easy when it comes to network servers. But this is getting tedious not only for us the players, but I dare say even more so for Cryptic/PWE.

This is also something that people notice, and if not fixed in a timely manner, and fixed so that it stays as stable as possible, they will leave, and make no mistake, those that leave will tell others, and it might get noticed by a big gameing site/mag.

To say that I'm worried about the launch of LoR with all the servers problems we have been seeing, is the understatement of the century...
  • Options
    iceaxe18iceaxe18 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the truth is that Cryptic is having a pizza party for 3 hours. :)
  • Options
    jsck82jsck82 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That shows good decision making skills on your part ;)
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arkyboy wrote: »
    Don't ya hate it when people give a little too much info....I know I do....Well, I will talk with you all later, I have to go TRIBBLE now. :D
    It's the internet, there's no such thing as too much information here, now if you'll excuse me I have a cat to go strangle and eat. :D
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    deezy611deezy611 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have subed, F2p'd, bought a LTS worth of **** from the C-store and so on and you dont hear me ***** about downtime

Not my point. I wasn't addressing the complaining, I was addressing the "You don't HAVE to pay" response to the complaints. If NO one pays, no one PLAYS. Do you disagree?
  • Options
    djezc#0623 djezc Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the game always seems to come up when this thread hits a 100 pages so keep posting
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So the "emergency" is a new network toy they didnt have the patience for developing a viable and non interuptive install for??
    kids!
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They could have properly scheduled that installation and let us know ahead of time.... makes me mad

I agree with this, all this does is TRIBBLE off the players not only that but why do people have to search for information on other forums? To me it does not show they are a good company at all.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe its a mk I white server ??

where as we need a Mk X Blue one
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    alphaphasertechalphaphasertech Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    qrtrmstr wrote: »
    Bran...this is not good. As I discussed the communications person on FB (since the initial crashes were only being posted there) LoR is a tremendous undertaking. I, along with hordes of other real 1000+ day players and lifetime members such as myself are attempting to balance support with frustration and fear. With LoR coming, the issues going on are creating an image of complete instability. I know personal friends in game and IRL that are planning on returning to STO in 12 days for launch...I anticipate a lot of player returning to check out the new u/i, re-finished Drozana station, and of course the Romulan stuff...but it's been nearly daily now...combined we're talking at least 1.5 days of down time. The devs propagate fixes and then it all crashes or we have these emergency issues. It's player like us who try and keep things positive, remain supportive, and try and minimize the exodus of players that has been going on. Published or not, we all know the numbers are down...but even our patience gets worn thin. This makes it really difficult for us to stay positive and talk to players about why they should remain and not go back to WoW. I don't want what happened to CoH/CoV to happen here. None of us vested/invested players want that. So while you try and manage things, perhaps the week leading up to LoR's launch, you
    Should announce an extended down time of 48 hours. Take everything down and make it right, actually fix the problems going on, be the GOTY that you are supposed to be, the GOTY you won for a reason. Players understand server problems but what's happened really had been quite ridiculous and unacceptable. There is still buzz all over the Internet and CNET about EA's disaster with Sim City's reboot, with even the games creator speaking out against EA and Maxis. This is not the sort of publicity STO/Cryptic/PW needs. You only get to launch something once...if you guys TRIBBLE this up, we all suffer. Please try and remember that people talk TRIBBLE because their frustrated, but these same people completely count on you guys and your ability to be stable...this is a great game, IMO, the best MMO created, and I don't want to lose something I am so personally invested in...a lot of hours have gone into gear and sets...prior to the F2P and Rep systems...please, just don't TRIBBLE this launch up...we are all counting on this to bring the numbers back, to get large fleet and more tier 5 fleets and reduced load times for STF's because players are back and running events. Please do whatever it is you need to do to get this right.

Well-said. I would be all for 48 hours of scheduled downtime to smooth everything out. it's much better than losing time every other day and still having stability issues.

I realize Neverwinter just came out and there's a need to keep it running and not drop it, because you don't want to lose that influx of new players, especially since market-wise, it relies on people constantly wanting to play and get fancy new items.

But the truth here is that there should have been better preparation for the extra server load created by Neverwinter in the first place. I thought we learned this lesson during STO's open beta: Make sure you aren't underestimating the load the servers are going to take. We had a lot of stability issues during that release too, and LoR is going to bring droves of people back to the game who have stopped playing, adding even more stress on the server.

This 48 hour maintenance plan is probably the best thing to keep everything running two weeks from now. Because the last thing anyone wants is for this to continue when LoR comes out. Not only will it impact STO, but continued outages after a month of release is not going to look good for Neverwinter either, and will likely drive some people away from there. :(
    "If the Iconians come, and we're not ready... Well, let's just say these petty arguments won't mean a thing." - Vice Admiral Thomas Bouwman of the Starsiders
  • Options
    jsck82jsck82 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0ligy wrote: »
    I agree with this, all this does is TRIBBLE off the players not only that but why do people have to search for information on other forums? To me it does not show they are a good company at all.

You have to remember though that the mods are not mods for all PWE games, only the game they represent. Bran might not have permission to reveal specifics, where that source did.

I do agree that more information needs to be shared, but sometimes, that doesn't help the situation any.
  • Options
    mecteshmectesh Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Maybe its a mk I white server ??

where as we need a Mk X Blue one

Actually, it's the Mk XII fleet servers that are stable, but as we're all here posting instead of grinding Cryptic rep, the server room isn't up to tier 5 yet. :cool:
    Mac mini Server (mid 2011): 2GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
This discussion has been closed.