test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy Pack Pre-Order! [The price has now increased]

Comments

• tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Brandon, could you drop a suggestion to add in a character slot or two? Or are there already plans to give a free slot on the 21st? I have all of my free slots used up and one of my two bought slots used up as well... meaning I have one slot to make a male Romulan, female Romulan, Male Reman and Female Reman........
  • torachtorach Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't understand why o'so many people always i mean "always" goes off the handle before actually checking out the facts...

I admit, when I first saw the news of the legacy pack I sorta had the same idea, but before going off the handle i thought I should investigate first...

I'm guessing its to much to ask for people to check first, go off handle later?
    "Better were the days when mastery o' space came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. Ye all know thi's to be true!"
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We have a Dev Blog planned that will reveal our LTS/ Veteran/ Gold rewards -- we're still going over the details internally, but we'll have it out as soon as everything is finalized. I will make sure that we get it posted in plenty of time before the "limited time" price goes away.

I really wish the blog explaining this was released first, it would avoid a ton of confusion and rage.
  • chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is no way i am paying 125 dollars for this game.its crazy...

I buy guild wars 2..and I get teh whole game..gaming is getting more expensive than drinking and partying

this is crazy....125!!!!!

I just dont agree with it..its too much

I am done.

I think Cryptic/Pwe think we are all very rich,or lottery winners perhaps.
    Yes they are a business,but items which are heavily overpriced is a big NO! NO!
    The economy of this world is not good at all,and we do not have endless pots of cash to spend on cryptic/pwe.
    Devs,wake up and smell the coffee. How about cheaper more affordable prices.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On the other hand, what do you think is paying for the cost of 'Legacy'... With F2P, the vast majority of players aren't contributing a dime to support STO...

Yeah, but the whales PWE is milking through the C-Store are doing a fine enough job supporting the game. If Cryptic didn't think they could support an expansion, they wouldn't have started working on one--let alone continue developing it to launch.

That's how F2P works: a very small, very spend-happy group of people subsidizing the rest of us.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    This is just a bundle of z-store ships and other stuff. You can easily spend more then that just buying a some of the Fed or KDF z-store ships.

Word from Bran is you can't buy this pack with just Zen. So technically all those thousands and thousands of posts from the past that said hey you can buy that Fed ship with Zen you get from Dil grinding so you don't spend a single dollar, may not apply to this legacy pack. Meaning it's 125 bucks, or nada.

Still waiting for more details about that, but, if that's the case then that does indeed separate this from other purchases. As Cosmic above points out the ships and stuff could cost 181 bucks ala carte. But going by the old ways of using dil to get zen, something Cosmic could probably write a guide about, that 181 bucks worth of stuff can all be bought from farming. I'm not sure the 125 buck package can be bought from farming.

As it stands, the OP is right. 125 bucks is overpriced. It just is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On the other hand, what do you think is paying for the cost of 'Legacy'... With F2P, the vast majority of players aren't contributing a dime to support STO...
    There's not much point to the debate. The people who have $125.00 and want to buy the C-Store items at a discount can. The people who want to buy it all later for $181.00 can. It's not a reason for people to get all excited, aggressive, or defensive. It's just a C-Store pre-order discount Pack. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Also, I will say that at launch, Romulans will not have a 1000-day Veteran ship available; however, we are planning to address this as soon as possible.

By address, do you mean "make a 1,000 day ship available"? Because if not, BOOO!
  • chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    125 dollars, its cheap!!
    I love the ships. I love the bonuses.
    Thank you Cryptic

Here we have a secret rich lottery winner. lol
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why not on steam?I bought the starter pack the day it was released on steam so Ill buy these too :confused:
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, but the whales PWE is milking through the C-Store are doing a fine enough job supporting the game. If Cryptic didn't think they could support an expansion, they wouldn't have started working on one--let alone continue developing it to launch.

That's how F2P works: a very small, very spend-happy group of people subsidizing the rest of us.
    What does C-Store items have to do with anything? We all knew the Roms would have items put into the C-Store. That's not surprising anyone. The fact that you can buy them all at once for a discount is a surprise, but you can still buy them later, one piece at a time, for a slightly higher cost. It's really not a big deal.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2013
    Lockboxes and the keys to open them. I'm pretty sure they've made enough money off of those in the past year to ...

maybe I'm wrong ...

Hire a bunch of staff members who lost their job because City of Heroes shut down?

Which as I seem to recall are the people who made this expansion? I don't know. I was led to believe that the F2P model has been successful and that lockboxes and the keys to open them were really turning a healthy profit for this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chaz200565 wrote: »
    Yes they are a business,but items which are heavily overpriced is a big NO! NO!
    The economy of this world is not good at all,and we do not have endless pots of cash to spend on cryptic/pwe.

Have you seen the dilithium exchange lately? Or in the past few months? Hundreds of thousand zen points on the exchange! HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS!!! There's probably more than a million total Zen in game, that hasn't been spent yet. I don't think the vast majority of the STO playerbase are so "poor". I myself couldn't really churn out more than $10-15 a month if I wanted, but those 15 bucks would definitely get me something nice in a month or two.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No one needs anything from the C-Store to play the game.

It's not over-priced at all. This game and everything in it is a luxury. It's up to the consumer to either pay for it or not.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited April 2013
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    I really wish the blog explaining this was released first, it would avoid a ton of confusion and rage.

The items that will be mentioned in the blog in question are none of those that are in the Legacy Pack or Starter Pack. These packs allows players to pre-order Romulan Ships (and other extras) at a bundled, discounted rate. All of the items (except titles) are currently planned to be available in the C-Store at launch, so you can take advantage of the Dilithium Exchange to obtain them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    What does C-Store items have to do with anything? We all knew the Roms would have items put into the C-Store. That's not surprising anyone. The fact that you can buy them all at once for a discount is a surprise, but you can still buy them later, one piece at a time, for a slightly higher cost. It's really not a big deal.

I don't think you understood my post in context.

The poster I was quoting brought up the fact that few people actually pay for anything in a F2P game like STO. I was simply pointing out that it's not news and that F2P actually relies on those few big spenders who do fork over cash.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    problem is, at least to me, that I am not likely to ever use half of that stuff so its just a bundle that have a lot of stuff I would have no use.

Having the entire Romulan shipyard is nice but do I need the entire Romulan shipyard? No, there are too many ships that would just remain unclaimed so the in the end I would not be saving any money, I would be losing it.

I also guess the starter pack will find its way into the Zen Store, that I might buy.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and love the sig :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • displayname707displayname707 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Defiance and its Season pass ( 5 upcoming DLCs ) will cost me like 50 euros from GMG.. Spending ~120 euros for some ships and vanity items is CRAZY. Nuts. Insane.
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

Best. Sig. EVER!
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Having the entire Romulan shipyard is nice but do I need the entire Romulan shipyard? No

The way they've done the KDF, I really only have one KDF character. Who flies one C-Store purchased ship at end-game.

Even with my 4 VA fed characters I've not bought that many ships.

So I'm at the point where I'm definitely going to have 1 Romulan. But it's unlikely I'll have 2, 3 or 4 of them. Which means, yeah, there's no need to have that many ships available.

I still don't think it's a fair price either. 60 bucks is more than a 3 pack bundle of ships. And would pretty much cover the cost of those oh so valuable TITLES. Heh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Legacy pack looks cool and I understand the price (that's a lot of stuff in the bundle!), but is way beyond what I'm willing and able to pay at this time...
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The items that will be mentioned in the blog in question are none of those that are in the Legacy Pack or Starter Pack. These packs allows players to pre-order Romulan Ships (and other extras) at a bundled, discounted rate. All of the items (except titles) are currently planned to be available in the C-Store at launch, so you can take advantage of the Dilithium Exchange to obtain them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank You Sir... :)

I don't really need the titles and keys, but being able to get the other stuff over time in the C-Store works out fine for me.

It might cost me more in the long run, but I can better justify/afford spending $20 or $30 dollars a month rather than $125.00 all at once.

And as someone already said...

I can only fly one ship at a time. :D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chaz200565 wrote: »
    Here we have a secret rich lottery winner. lol

I am lottery winner? daaang, where is my 1,5 billion dollars? ill be able to buy one of those ships for real ;)
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

And no doubt that additional STO game bundles offered for sale were included in their financial model as part of their decision for continued development.

Everyone has to realize that Cryptic/PWE is not a non-profit charity. The F2P model must remain profitable in order for STO to continue. And after all, the purchase is 'optional', with no one being forced to make the purchase...
    edited April 2013
    The Legacy pack looks cool and I understand the price (that's a lot of stuff in the bundle!), but is way beyond what I'm willing and able to pay at this time...
    I only bought the Starter Pack. That give me a new Boff and T1 and T5 ships. After that I can decide if I want more C-Store ships or not. Plus I don't use Keys so the Legacy Pack would be a waste of money for me.
    edited April 2013
    I am lottery winner? daaang, where is my 1,5 billion dollars? ill be able to buy one of those ships for real ;)

What lottery do you know of with a payout that large? Not even Powerball does that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Celebrate the upcoming Legacy of Romulus expansion by pre-ordering a Legacy Pack today! This pack contains valuable items to aid you in your journey of rebuilding the Romulan legacy.

Click here to learn more about the Legacy Pack.

Our Legacy Pack FAQ can be found here.

Watch the new Legacy Pack spotlight video here.

Sorry im not buyin anything until i know exactly the specs of each ship, etc.

Also, does this mean these ships will not simply be for sale in the Z store? Kinda stuff we'd all like to know before getting ourselfs into this.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The positive notes:

- A first look at coming C-Store ships including at least blurbs on the names for the special consoles. I actually might buy a couple of these for my progression through the ranks and end up with a Tier V ship that has several odd console options.

- Lib Borg Remans look nasty. That's a good thing in this case. Will there be Lib Borg Romulans as well? I note the Lib Reman is listed as an account-wide unlock which is different from the current purchasable Liberated BOFFs which are individual per character, so I am assuming it's something special.

The negative:

- You released this before any stats on the ships are known? Really? Come on man.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Mhm, faszinating. I expected Cryptic that would make pay Romulan ships, but put all Romulan ships in C-Store is something new. I won't pay 119 ? for a digital item sorry, that is totally overpriced.
    edited April 2013
    And no doubt that additional STO game bundles offered for sale were included in their financial model as part of their decision for continued development

If I recall, they don't release these kinds of things often--not even mentioning that this is their first 'expansion' on STO. If they at all relied on mythical legacy pack sales as part of the development cost, I'd be worried about their risk-taking.

No, I'm willing to bet they were comfortable enough with their ongoing C-Store sales that it made launching an expansion both worthwhile and feasible. Pack sales would be icing on the cake.

EDIT - It's interesting that since posting my original mention of 'whales,' that there have been two very defensive posts in response. I'm not making a value judgement here--just pointing out the fact that most F2P titles rely on a handful of big spenders. That's it.

Don't be so defensive over something you have zero stake in. Or do you? ;)
This discussion has been closed.