test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Yeah that'll show 'em. "I don't like what you did in this game so I'm going to leave and go play the other game you made!"

lol...

they speak with there money in this case and not there eyes oooooooooooooooo look at the new shiny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah , they get less money from me , and we"ll see how well Neverwinter goes too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How is that not speaking with your money?
    Yeah that'll show 'em. "I don't like what you did in this game so I'm going to leave and go play the other game you made!"

lol...
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Soo, what i'm getting from this is that the Romulan faction will be a full Faction except when it comes to:

- PvP, which I never cared about
    - Starbases, on which I'm burned out already
    - PvE queues, which is good for waiting times

In short: A faction without all the annoying baggage.
    Bring it on then!

Greens joining Red/Blue is pretty much a non-issue, since we have had ceasefires ever since Gamma Orionis, which is approximately the point in the timeline where Romulan players will have caught up to current events.
    So, yeah, there is a war, but nobody is fighting anymore. No civil war necessary.

I have to agree with you 66.6%. I have never played any pvp, but I'm still into maxing out the starbases my toons are on...and I do play pve most of the time. I'm a Trek fan, not a gamer, so I dump way more money into this game that my wife likes, let me tell ya.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kadieras wrote: »
    How is that not speaking with your money?

If he goes off to play Neverwinter, a game that Cryptic developed, and spends any money there they still get his money.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If he goes off to play Neverwinter, a game that Cryptic developed, and spends any money there they still get his money.

but for that game not sto....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited March 2013

Yeah they will get money from me for Neverwinter if I stop liking game then they wont. What they wont get is a player playing STO and spending money that way. Ill check out the new stuff in may , doubt Ill stick around after that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    You guys really don't see how absurd that is though? If you're that upset with the changes that you're going to leave I can't see why you would then turn around and go spend money on another one of their products. For example Funcom messed up Age of Conan so badly for me that I left and will never, ever touch another one of their products again. Same for EA. I'll never let EA have any of my money no matter what game they make. I guess it isn't that big of a deal then if you're going to turn around and spend money on the same company.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2013
    You guys really don't see how absurd that is though? If you're that upset with the changes that you're going to leave I can't see why you would then turn around and go spend money on another one of their products. For example Funcom messed up Age of Conan so badly for me that I left and will never, ever touch another one of their products again. Same for EA. I'll never let EA have any of my money no matter what game they make. I guess it isn't that big of a deal then if you're going to turn around and spend money on the same company.

There are people who are frustrated by champions online lack of new content but still come over to STO and play this game. All it does is save me more money, if the Romulans get the things I wanted them to have then STO will get more money and playtime from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No, it's been posted several times already.

So'Hot's kinda scary looking, but then T'TRIBBLE looks like an idiot so I guess it's still an improvement.

Now, Handsome Phaser Guy with just a mousemat, that I could live with.

I'll bet I know where he's going to be holding that mousemat, after ringing your bell. :D

(??before, ringing your bell??)

<chuckle>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited March 2013
    There are people who are frustrated by champions online lack of new content but still come over to STO and play this game. All it does is save me more money, if the Romulans get the things I wanted them to have then STO will get more money and playtime from me.

Well I'm certainly not going to try and stop you, it's just that it seems so strange to me. In any case, carry on.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Reference Link: Dastahl's Response to the Romulan Faction Conundrum
    Romulans will be asked to choose sides in the war by the time they are level 10.
    So when we say that the alliance has an impact on end game, it is in reference to all of the level 40+ missions and end game content that exist for all factions.
    We are happy that many players appreciate our decision to have the Romulans join existing FED or KDF fleets at launch. We realize that not everyone understands or agrees with why we did this, but it is the best decision for Star Trek Online.

Reference Link: Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus
    Dstahl: This is an important question that needs a detailed answer.

The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don?t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we?ve made this decision and here?s one of them.
    Dstahl: As has been our plan since we introduced the Featured series, these episodes will remain available to any faction, and thus are available to the new Romulan Republic faction.

Reference Link: Legacy of Romulus Site
    Play as a Romulan
    Play as a Romulan or Reman and immerse yourself in new story-driven missions written exclusively from the Romulan Republic's point of view.
    Start as any Faction
    Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50.

Okay, I see some major conundrums with what was said.

You said two different things.

*shakes my head*

Something is not right here.

According to Dstahl's original statement, the Romulan Faction was created 'from the ground up'. If I interpret his statement as it stands, I would think Dstahl is talking about an entirely new Romulan faction. After he made the first statement, Dstahl mentioned that 'everything except for certain levels' will be Romulan exclusive.

Once we hit level ten of the Romulan hierarchy, we are forced to ally ourselves with the Feds or Klingons.

If the player is forced to choose an ally at level ten, the individual's avatar will no longer belong to a Romulan faction. Instead of belonging to an exclusive Romulan faction, the player's avatar will become a Federation-Romulan or a KDF-Romulan.

Something is not right with these statements.

Are we going to get a full or partial Romulan faction?

Does the Romulan faction end at level ten; thus, the ally choice you make determines the avatar's faction?
  • molen#7916 molen Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Very wide of the mark.

You probably don't know this, but everyone you see with "empire veteran" or "Career officer" or the blue title has paid quite a bit.

So its time for you to rethink things.

I'm sorry "empire veteran" but you have chosen to pay for what is in the game now. I was talking about the Romulan expansion and for that you've paid nothing and you won't have to.
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There are definitely some things about this setup that confuse me.

1- Why did the Romulans have to pick a side? Why not make the Romulans a faction that can team freely with either side and queue with either side? Instead they have to permanently ally with one or the other.

2- In recent interviews the current PvP queues were going to be made faction-lesd to let PvPers join in mixed play freely to make queues move faster. Has this been pulled? If not, again the Romulans could have avoided allying themselves.

3- If they ever make territory control they could just add something on the backend to Romulan characters that locks them out of Territory PvP flipping. You help the Feds then you have to wait 24 hours before you can re-enter T-PvP as the KDF helper.

4- Does this mean no Fleet Romulan Disruptors? I know many fleets were going to merge with allies for the new Romulan faction since now they could plan and collect resources from the ground up for a Starbase...

5- What makes them a "Faction"? Technically all the caitians and Andorians need are a couple dozen race-specific missions and a few more ships in order to be a Faction by these standards. I think that is a big reason why so many are complaining. At the end of the day you belong to whatever faction that controls where you get and fix your ships. Be it ESD or Qo'nos. Especially given the build-up to the reveal and the apparently unintentional mis-representation of the Romulan "Faction" on the LoR page. Saying 1-50 as a member of the RR when in fact its 1-10 and you then pick a side and can keep playing RR missions but now you can get an Excelsior...

6- I almost feel like we need another Ask Cryptic just for follow up questions to that single answer.

I get why they did it in the scope of the game as it is today. I guess many were like me and expected the Romulans to change the game. To me both sides being accessible by a single Romulan makes sense. Neither faction would want to freely give the Romulans ships and their tech but both would want to let the Romulans help them or vice versa. Just like they currently do on New Romulus. I also wish Remans were unlocked for LTS since we dont get a Liberated Borg Romulan. This being another sign to me that even Cryptic doesnt consider these Romulans a "true or "complete" faction.

It feels like they just dont have a large enough playerbase to sustain 3 factions. That is probably the driving force behind this since in theory all thats misding to make them their own faction are fleets and starbases.

It ain't easy being green.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I gave up playing Champions Online a week ago.

It's just lockboxes and events now.
    There isn't actually a shred of decent content.
    Not even a new C-store costume unlock or new power frameworks!

So I put that game on hold until they actually pull their thumb out and do some genuine content updates.

As for Neverwinter, not going to play that.

Add to that an STO faction update I'm not even going to play and well, doesn't look good for Cryptic right now......

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder if having to choose a side actually affects the outcome of the Romulan story once it concludes at level 40?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013

You're ignoring the point that they could be getting his money for both Neverwinter *and* STO.
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Was just thinking...

Couldnt the Romulans have been given fleets and tasked with expanding their presence on New Romulus by building ground based "starbases" with orbiting shipyards similar to the KDF shipyard?

As others have mentioned its sad that the walls arent even completed on New Romulus and already mercenary Romulans are fighting each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Face it dan you LIED to us. AGAIN, why should we trust you in anything anymore. You and many others should be fired. You had the perfect set up for the Rommies and BLEW IT! They should not be forced to join Fed or KDF. the battle should be between the Republic and the Star Empire. and that's the choice your toon should make near the begining. You could have gotten back people who had left with this but unlikely now. YOU ARE LOSING PROFIT HERE. I have no incentive to pay for anymore services for this TRIBBLE. You haven't learned, maybe you'll never learn. Hard work means nothing if the product is TRIBBLE.
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Face it dan you LIED to us. AGAIN, why should we trust you in anything anymore. You and many others should be fired. You had the perfect set up for the Rommies and BLEW IT! They should not be forced to join Fed or KDF. the battle should be between the Republic and the Star Empire. and that's the choice your toon should make near the begining. You could have gotten back people who had left with this but unlikely now. YOU ARE LOSING PROFIT HERE. I have no incentive to pay for anymore services for this TRIBBLE. You haven't learned, maybe you'll never learn. Hard work means nothing if the product is TRIBBLE.

Dan hasn't lied about anything. While I feel a bit disappointed its not because of what was said in Ask Cryptic, they've been going down this route for months and they made it pretty clear on the forums that this was how a new faction would work. While I am disappointed right now, I am still hopeful that when the content is released I will enjoy it and accept that what Cryptic is doing is for the best.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dan hasn't lied about anything. While I feel a bit disappointed its not because of what was said in Ask Cryptic, they've been going down this route for months and they made it pretty clear on the forums that this was how a new faction would work. While I am disappointed right now, I am still hopeful that when the content is released I will enjoy it and accept that what Cryptic is doing is for the best.

I'm afraid calling the romulans a 3rd faction when you splinter and actually have join the current 2. Makes that a fake 3rd faction. Therefore a lie. You can't keep calling it something that its not.

Adding romulan ships to lock boxes actually will go against every word that was ever said on that issue on forums and pod casts. As countless times it was said romulan ships would only be for a romulan faction when it's release.

As of what dstahl has said in ask cryptic we still aren't getting a romulan faction. The devs are so out of touch with its player base it's actually pretty ridiculous
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    Adding romulan ships to lock boxes actually will go against every word that was ever said on that issue on forums and pod casts. As countless times it was said romulan ships would only be for a romulan faction when it's release.

Maybe there will be Lock-Boxes that appear to Romulan players only?:confused:

My question is, maybe it was mentioned somewhere already: When the Romulans can join the FED or KDF side, what about the FEDs and KDFs? Do they have access to the whole Romulan Sim City stuff? Sorry I didn't know how to call that.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    What end game does the KDF and FED have that is so unique...they both have the same they both helping each other fight the borg...they have nothing special over each other.

Hell I did not expect Cryptic to even give 1-40 content...i was expecting 40-50 and join KDF...hell I did not see a faction coming ever.

and as a KDF player...I rather have had the 1-40 stuff over the end game TRIBBLE...instead of starting from 20-50 having to play as a Fed to unlock the KDF.

The feds and kdf fight for themselves not fight against themselves. Neither get their faction ripped apart.

I agree the kdf needed more content. It was a problem from launch and has remained a problem for over 3 years. So now with romulans they are just doing the problem in reverse. Which actually don't fix the problem, just shifts it too the other end and has forced the '3rd faction' to become part of the current 2. Making a total mockery of them as a faction.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys are reading too much into this, as usual. :rolleyes:

No we're not . :)
    The Romulan Republic is a faction.

No they're not . :(
    They get their own storyline missions, ships, etc. All they don't have are specific endgame content (which the others don't have either) and specific Romulan fleets (which may be coming in the future).

No one said that AFAIK .
    They may get their own Starbase , but I think that's a pipe dream . :o

Cryptic had 6+ months to do something .
    They ended up cutting a lot of corners . The players who refuse to see that have my sympathies .

New STF's ? YeeeeaaaahhhhNo .

So in the end , if I was a TRUE Romulan fan , I'd take a page from the KDF STO guide book and settle in for the long night and get ready for a long fight to get what you should have gotten in May .
    It took the Klingons 3 years .
    Use that as a perspective ... -- and remember , the Klingons never lost faith !
    (well almost never , but they were dealing with Cryptic ...)

Having said that , there is no guarantee that at the end of that long road a Romulan starbase or a fleet will be waiting for you .
  • antrenosantrenos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I feel I have to disagree here.

While the Romulan Republic may be a new faction at level 1, for all intents and purposes, it's not a new faction at max level. Dan has said now that you effectively join the FED or KDF faction as an "ally", and queue alongside your FED or KDF buddies for all events, STFs, PVP maps etc. Add to that, you utilize either FED or KDF starbases and social areas.

So let's just call the Romulans a fake faction for now, and leave it at that.
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    antrenos wrote: »
    I feel I have to disagree here.

While the Romulan Republic may be a new faction at level 1, for all intents and purposes, it's not a new faction at max level. Dan has said now that you effectively join the FED or KDF faction as an "ally", and queue alongside your FED or KDF buddies for all events, STFs, PVP maps etc. Add to that, you utilize either FED or KDF starbases and social areas.

So let's just call the Romulans a fake faction for now, and leave it at that.

How is this different than how the endgame already works? KDF and FED fight alongside each other.

The pre-endgame is fully unique for the Roms par the Fleet system which is nothing more than a resource sink at any rate, they aren't losing anything interesting by sharing with another faction.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We all knew the Romulan Faction would be half baked just as the KDF is.

Why did this come as a surprise?

Cryptic have been playing catch-up ever since Atari screwed them and along-side that there is a real pressure from PW to return healthy income. So they rush things, introduce gambling items and only fix the most troublesome bugs.

I have a little sympathy for them, but they lack the creativity to deal with the situation hence why instead of seeing something game changing we instead have another half finished race.

The game doesn't even have a relevant crafting system at the moment, you guys knew that the game has been in one long extended beta since the get go, Cryptic have done the best they can within their limited capabilities and skills to keep the thing running in some fashion at least.

It's not the Star Trek MMO most of us wanted but it's the only Oasis in the desert at the moment even if the waters are fetid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How is this different than how the endgame already works? KDF and FED fight alongside each other.

The pre-endgame is fully unique for the Roms par the Fleet system which is nothing more than a resource sink at any rate, they aren't losing anything interesting by sharing with another faction.

You, and people who agree with you, believe the fleet system is nothing but a resource sink, and that's ok, you're totally allowed to have that opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong. However, I, and others like me, think it's an engaging and important part of endgame gameplay.

Thing is, if they had made a fleet system for romulans, you'd still have the option not to bother while I'd get to have my fun in a fleet. Instead, there's no fleet, so you still don't bother and I don't get the option. You gain nothing and lose nothing either way, while I just lose. Where is the upside to this?

Moving on a bit, while a lot of players don't bother with them, there are these little things called fleet actions, starbase 24, gorn minefield etc. These are faction specific, semi-endgame content that the romulans don't get. Yet another reason why the romulans are not actually a faction.
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I, and others like me, think it's an engaging and important part of endgame gameplay.

It would be if it wasn't closed off to a great number of the player base who do not want to join a Mega Fleet or are having a hard time starting their own fleet or moving on with a small fleet because of how Cryptic have failed to create a paradigm for fleet bases where all players regardless of style, play-time and financial input can benefit.

Otherwise it's just a toy of players who like mega fleets or super grinding and not a truly universal module of end-game content, which is a shame.

I have to admit when I came to the game for the first time I really felt that Fleet progression was going to be the thing that kept me coming back to play, that would be the logical extension of all my hard work thus far. So I set up a fleet and got a bunch friends and other players to join. It was good for a time but Season 7 drove most of my fleet members away and now no-one wants to join a T2 fleet so I've given up and barely play the game at all now, unless someone asks me on XMPP to come and play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You're kinda missing the point, WHY I like fleets and you don't is irrelevant, the point is I do and you lose nothing for me being to play in one.