Options

New Lifetime Subscriber Perk (NW Beta*)

Comments

• Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thought STO Lifetimers got access. What a rip. :mad:

No Keys, no access, no nothing. Feels like a Bait-and-Switch. :(
    Have you been getting your STO messages via email? If not, your email address of record may not be up-to-date. I got my Beta invitation on Wednesday and am patching right now. Having used my STO/PWE login. I'm at 50% of 520mb.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I have started the game. So far, I find it quite enjoyable. I am a lifetimer and there was no key to put in. Just download, install, patch, and play.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    If you log into the PWE/STO web and then go to the link below... you can download the client. You use your same LTS account login for STO as its the same for all PWE games and it will know you are eligible to access the beta test.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/download
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I have started the game. So far, I find it quite enjoyable. I am a lifetimer and there was no key to put in. Just download, install, patch, and play.

Not working. :mad:

psiameese wrote: »
    Have you been getting your STO messages via email? If not, your email address of record may not be up-to-date. I got my Beta invitation on Wednesday and am patching right now. Having used my STO/PWE login. I'm at 50% of 520mb.

Only E-mail I get from PW is CSR ticket and Zen purchase confirmations. My friends also never got anything from them when they joined during the Third Anniversary where they were promised that free Torpedo.

So PW obviously has something wrong with their Email servers in not sending out important information.

And if you started downloading the client on Wednesday and now halfway, that means for me the Beta would be over before I finish it. Which just makes things all the more rip because PW didn't give any instructions what so ever to download ahead of time.

All the more of a bait and switch. "Oh sorry, you couldn't finish the download in time to participate in our Beta. Please feel free to try our game after its live." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    darkkindness2darkkindness2 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not working. :mad:

So PW obviously has something wrong with their Email servers in not sending out important information.

And if you started downloading the client on Wednesday and now halfway, that means for me the Beta would be over before I finish it. Which just makes things all the more rip because PW didn't give any instructions what so ever to download ahead of time.

All the more of a bait and switch. "Oh sorry, you couldn't finish the download in time to participate in our Beta. Please feel free to try our game after its live." :rolleyes:

There was nothing of particular importance to send out; all lifetime subs from STO or CO have to do is download the Neverwinter client, log in, and play. No instructions necessary, just download it and log in with the same credentials you use for these forums/all PWE games.

He didn't say he was halfway through downloading the game - he said he was halfway through patching his install, which took me about an extra 30 minutes after downloading the client earlier in the week. The client download is a few gigs and took me about six hours, and then patching it up yesterday took another half hour.

Considering that it seems like most lifetimers were/are able to log in, it doesn't seem to be a bait and switch on Cryptic's part, just something wrong with either your account or your approach.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009:
    kain9prime wrote: »
    IDIC fail.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Welp...

Just finished playing for about 6 hours, only got bumped twice.

Both times I was able to get right back into the game.

I found it enjoyable.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Have you tried logging into the game? They should have sent an email saying beta has started, but there is no key. Lifers are automatically given access without a code. Have a level 18 Tiefling Control Wizard and started at Friday at noon.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    There was nothing of particular importance to send out; all lifetime subs from STO or CO have to do is download the Neverwinter client, log in, and play. No instructions necessary, just download it and log in with the same credentials you use for these forums/all PWE games.

Considering that it seems like most lifetimers were/are able to log in, it doesn't seem to be a bait and switch on Cryptic's part, just something wrong with either your account or your approach.

Oh I'm sorry, do you happen to work for Perfect World and know first-hand that "most lifetimers were able to log in"? Yeah, I think not.

I know of other Lifetimers who didn't get an E-mail or never knew that Neverwinter's Beta is live and they are welcome. So guess its our fault for not getting the message right? :rolleyes:

Right now, I'm not impressed how PW does Betas. To me, it's not a good sign for the game if they continue to run it in such poor fashion.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Have you tried logging into the game? They should have sent an email saying beta has started, but there is no key. Lifers are automatically given access without a code. Have a level 18 Tiefling Control Wizard and started at Friday at noon.

As I said, there was no E-mails from PW/Cryptic except CSR Tickets from in-STO. No Advertisements, nada. And yes, I checked the spam folder.

Just makes me even more furious that the Beta will be over before I even get a chance to log in.

BTW, that Client Download is a major bandwidth hog.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I downloaded the game client Thursday night (US) and patched it Friday Morning. Got the email about it on Friday after I had done it. I got the info on the dates for the beta tests from the Neverwinter website as first seen here. I am sorry you are missing out for whatever reason. There will be another Beta test weekend March 22 - 24.
  • Options
    crypt0kn1ghtcrypt0kn1ght Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry to hear you're missing out. It's fun so far. Got my invite on the 6th.

Thank you for supporting Cryptic Studios by being a lifetime subscriber for Star Trek Online! As one of the perks, you are qualified to participate in the second Beta Weekend for their upcoming action MMORPG, Neverwinter! Among the available content this weekend will be four classes, seven races, and a level cap of 40!

Neverwinter will be available to play starting March 8th at 12pm PST, and then closing on March 10th at 11:59pm PST.

Your access has been applied directly to your account, so you can download and be ready to play when the servers open!

Download the client here!

For any issues when logging in, please contact Customer Support.

Support Neverwinter to receive a ton of awesome items and perks!

Check out the news post on Beta Weekend Two!
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I downloaded and played during the Beta weekend. It managed to keep my attention for about 10 minutes. Sorry, I found it very boring and cookie cutter. It felt and looked really clunky compared to GW2 (the last fantasy MMO I tried). I am not sure what all the fuss it about. Back to my adventures in STO.
  • Options
    maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now that Neverwinter is coming out, can we have our devs back please? :)
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    I downloaded and played during the Beta weekend. It managed to keep my attention for about 10 minutes. Sorry, I found it very boring and cookie cutter. It felt and looked really clunky compared to GW2 (the last fantasy MMO I tried). I am not sure what all the fuss it about. Back to my adventures in STO.

Heh I played it for 20 minutes last night and came to the conclusion that DDO whips it's sorry TRIBBLE in every department.:cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    darkkindness2darkkindness2 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry to hear you're missing out. It's fun so far. Got my invite on the 6th.

Thank you for supporting Cryptic Studios by being a lifetime subscriber for Star Trek Online! As one of the perks, you are qualified to participate in the second Beta Weekend for their upcoming action MMORPG, Neverwinter! Among the available content this weekend will be four classes, seven races, and a level cap of 40!

Neverwinter will be available to play starting March 8th at 12pm PST, and then closing on March 10th at 11:59pm PST.

Your access has been applied directly to your account, so you can download and be ready to play when the servers open!

Download the client here!

For any issues when logging in, please contact Customer Support.

Support Neverwinter to receive a ton of awesome items and perks!

Check out the news post on Beta Weekend Two!

I got this exact e-mail, on the same day that crypt0kn1ght did - big, flashy graphic and everything.

That said, they advertised it on the front page of the website, on the forums, and (if I remember correctly) in one of the images in the launcher (the one that cycles through recent C-Store releases and the like). I honestly don't know what more Cryptic could have done to get the word out.

Also, if the download is a bandwidth hog, you can try torrenting it (since there is a torrent option), where you have more control over how the download works.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009:
    kain9prime wrote: »
    IDIC fail.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Eventually managed to download the client, (both the normal download option and torrent option seemed stuck perpetually at 2KB/s all week...) and have managed to get a few hours of game time in, so far I'm really quite enjoying it. Even decided to get the 'middle of the road' founders pack. :)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I played to about level 20. My concern would be, what happens once you reach level 60 in a week? I know there will be more content later but I could see it running dry rather quickly. I'm just anxious for STO to get some more Dev love after this is released. It seems Neverwinter beta is more polished than STO is now. It certainly is much more detailed in it's structures streets and various map locations. Character creation is kinda drab, especially detailing... that's one area where STO knocks it out of the park. I hope we aren't going to be using their character creator with our next update... it maybe more streamlined, but it's very limited on visual choices. Their powers in the game need to be evaluated more as I played a wizard and it seems the higher level powers really don't provide better damage than the lower level powers. I found myself re-equipping my entry level skills for more dmg, etc.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I got this exact e-mail, on the same day that crypt0kn1ght did - big, flashy graphic and everything.

That said, they advertised it on the front page of the website, on the forums, and (if I remember correctly) in one of the images in the launcher (the one that cycles through recent C-Store releases and the like). I honestly don't know what more Cryptic could have done to get the word out.

Also, if the download is a bandwidth hog, you can try torrenting it (since there is a torrent option), where you have more control over how the download works.

Again, I never got an Email. And never saw anything on the STO webpage or the launcher, except when Branflakes told us about it a few weeks ago in this very thread.

And I don't have a torrent capability. Never bothered since many companies are cracking down on Torrents due to pirates.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I didn't get an email either...

But I did check this thread every once in a while...

And if you go back to about post #298 on the 3rd of this month, you'll find that there was a discussion started that indicated just how STO LTS players could get into the beta. and when they could start DL'n the client.

It wasn't really that difficult to find either.

We've know about this happening since June of last year, if you chose not to check in every once in a while to see if there were any updates, how is that PWE's fault???
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i totally missed the first beta weekend test, shows you how much i care for something UNRELATED to what i paid for. ill most likely forget when the next round of beta test is too and miss that as well LOL. Wanna give me a perk, give me a ground vehicle or give me extra doff assignment slots, now thats a perk, access to a game that has nothing to do with STO, NOT A PERK. i guess its a perk if you like to spend 200-300 on one game so you can get beta tests on others, which makes no sense at all
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My only real problem with the game is that just doing mission content is not enough. Got to level 25 and it seems like the enemies were getting harder and harder due to me hitting the minimum level for missions and having more than one tough npc in groups. Did a mission at level 24 and the mobs were at level 29 with 4 lieutenants and one of them kept on summoning zombies. Considering that there is supposed to be an XP boost going on for beta, then it is going to be a serious problem for people that just solo. The potion spam necessary to keep myself alive was too much in those situations even with a Cleric companion.

There is also the problem that you have to send away your companion to be trained and it takes about an hour to train them. Also looked at the prices at the C-Store and it looks like about $40 for the best mounts. Saw an Armored Howler for 4000 Zen which looks like a real nice and nasty mount. At least with STO, we get an operational mount that has numerous interesting abilities for about that price.
  • Options
    captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am pretty sure this game wont beat GW2 but ill give it a try but hey no key for me no email either but beta testing is boring anyhow
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Your accounts were flagged. You just download the game. Try it the next weekend if you want to.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They can keep this perk. From my chair, STO is not currently worth a LTS. For a lot of people, it's not worth a monthy subscription. In fact, there are some who feel it is not worth paying a single solitary penny for.

There is a pretty big difference between an incentive and a perk.

The Neverwinter beta is a 'perk'. It's not supposed to be an 'incentive' to get you to buy a LTS for STO. It's just a little something extra for those that have bought a LTS for STO. You buy a LTS for a game because you like that game, not for a temporary bonus in a different game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Managed to get in on the last day and got up to level 20 with only like 6 hours played. And got to admit, their art team really did a beautiful job with the detail. Their mountains don't look like lumps of potatoes. :P

And their team improving STO technology was interesting, just hope it will recipocate back to STO.

But I'm not going to bother anymore with Neverwinter. It just seems like a dead end, like TOR. And the stuff in the Zen store really was a major disappointment, it made STO's C-store look like a bargain.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just closed the Dragon server abput a half-hour ago. Had awful local ISP issues going into the weekend. So I only got to play this evening. Made it to level 9 Wizard. Long enough to get through the tutorial and reclaim a crown. Which was an enjoyable quest chain. I was intent on just playing. So didn't get into making any UI adjustments or hotkeys. I couldn't get a cursor to click into channels to save my life. So I didn't endeavor to seek out any Groups. Had I a few more days I'm sure I would have dabbled in those details.

I enjoyed setting up some basic color to my character's background before entering the tutorial. While everyone starts in the same place, we could choose from a variety of locales and community color to define where our characters come from. I'm assuming those choices affect the dialogue trees with NPC's as you progress through the game.

What surprised me was the current offerings on the Zen store. Costume dyes are there. Not crafted. Or maybe they can be crafted also? I didn't get into the tradeskills at all. Scrolls of Identify dropped regularly enough to keep things interesting for mysterious loot. I would have expected those scrolls to be for sold for real cash. Who's to say what the final Zen Store layout will be when the game is ready to go public?

Interestingly, all my custom channels from STO were open in my NW chat window. I think that I got STO mail. As I got a mail notification in NW. But no mail at the mailbox.

My first MMO is of the Fantasy genre. Having played the original Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, I enjoyed what I experienced.

I'm curious now, also, as to what pieces and parts NW and STO will borrow from one another in months to come? I really liked how the Foundry is truly intergrated into the game. While the menu is there, the game offers NPC's with immersive dialogue to lead you toward Foundry quests. And the bulletin boards were a nice touch as well.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    mmzmarlboromanmmzmarlboroman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Got my NW email last Thursday and played all weekend so far i enjoyed it.
    I will probably put down the money for the hero pack.

FYI you don't need a key or an email if you are a life timer just sign into the web page for NW and get your self set up for the next beta test
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In all fairness, STO partially profits from subscriptions. NW will be ALL Zen-based revenue. So they have adjusted their pricing metrics to reflect that. What? You didn't think they would sacrifice profitability did you?

Dude, nobody is complaining about them needing a profit to run the game.

But when you are paying $40 per character for a mount, plus a ton of other stuff in the store that costs $5 (like the various crafting items per character), it's going to get expensive real quick.

And mark my words, it will drive away players when they get to endgame.