test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Lifetime Subscriber Perk (NW Beta*)

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Drakron mde a good point. The thing about DnD that is truely unique is the backstory. The rest of it borrows from far too many generic fantasy tropes to be unique.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Drakron mde a good point. The thing about DnD that is truely unique is the backstory. The rest of it borrows from far too many generic fantasy tropes to be unique.

Well, I guess that all depends on the campaign setting, the whole Steampunk feel and associated tropes in DDO (Eberron) is markedly different to the High Fantasy feel of FR pre Spell Plague.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    This is exactly how hugely successful F2P's like DDO work you pay for stuff of substance, I.e. access to entire zones, quest chains and epic raids...

They are amazing, for example Gianthold and the 4 Part Crypt series are mind blowingly good. And the value for money aspect is great Gianthold is almost as much content as the entire STO endgame alone and it only cost $15 dollars about half the price of Baldurs Gate when it came out.

I have to say, I would never play it if that was what they sold to us. I prefer buying vanity items than game content. Every MMO I've played which has gone down that line, I've stopped playing. I like F2P games where they are actually F2P and paid content is an extra but not required. As do most people.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited March 2013
    I have to say, I would never play it if that was what they sold to us. I prefer buying vanity items than game content. Every MMO I've played which has gone down that line, I've stopped playing. I like F2P games where they are actually F2P and paid content is an extra but not required. As do most people.

I prefer games that focus on real content as their payment model because it means that they actually have a reason to produce actual content and not just vanity items and lock boxes which is all we seem to get with Cryptic at the moment.

DDO is actually free to play and you can earn points in game to unlock adventure packs. As it is I haven't even completed the Free 2 Play stuff in DDO yet because even after 3 years of playing it all 4 of my characters are only Level 17 :o

However just like this game good luck with getting anything cool quickly... you won't it will take you a lot of grinding.

When you say "As do most people" there are 2 Million Gamers who play DDO who disagree. In addition you forget that it still has a subscriber model that for like $9 a month gives every adventure pack available.

Honestly I kind of regretted getting LTS for this game after Season 7, I can't say I say the same with DDO.

I agree with you though on one thing if Cryptic tried to sell me Feature Episodes that are of the current quality and depth I'd be going elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • mhelp1mhelp1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Will the squeeze, that is going on in STO atm, be nerfed when Neverwinter will be launched and suddenly fade out of server existence ?

This will allow the dev team to actually get back to STO and make it to be an actual star trek oriented game, not just a huge sink designed to squeeze money for the useless Neverwinter.

"To seek out new life..."
    "Star Trek Philosophy of Respect and Protect All Lifeforms"

Accolade complete: Beast Master | Defeat 1000 Beasts

m
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mhelp1 wrote: »
    Will the squeeze, that is going on in STO atm, be nerfed when Neverwinter will be launched and suddenly fade out of server existence ?

This will allow the dev team to actually get back to STO and make it to be an actual star trek oriented game, not just a huge sink designed to squeeze money for the useless Neverwinter.

"To seek out new life..."
    "Star Trek Philosophy of Respect and Protect All Lifeforms"

Accolade complete: Beast Master | Defeat 1000 Beasts

m

Separate dev teams ;)

The only thing that should affect STO after NW goes live, is all those profits from STO which are obviously being spent on NW to get that up an running, should in fact be put back into STO.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• cotp0maurafeycotp0maurafey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd have to disagree with the current love hate feelings toward current the current f2p model. I have a credit card, yet I can't punch in the numbers and buy a ship, or a character or anything.

What is with the idea that you have to buy some intermediary currency? Silly imo.

Also, I would pay for additional content, like SWTOR is selling their HUT cartel planet expansion. Because it simply is another part of the game that if you don't buy it, you don't have to play it, you can still play the core game. Then what happens? You get tired of the core game, break out the credit card, and buy more content. Access to New Romulus, a new ship. f2p is meant for those that don't have time to grind a hardcore game MMO that takes your life and a little bit of your money. Most of use would rather spend a little less life and pay a bit more money to move along in a game.

So sell me content, $10 for a Dominion Dreadnaught carrier - I'm there, because I like most gamers, do not have time to TRIBBLE with keys and boxes and zen and dilithium, etc. Just take my money and let me play. I grind the character, you give me the toys for more money. Works for most of us, but they have yet to put it in to practice.

All the previous games I have played, most people including me just laugh at the intermediary currency and slight of hand exchange tricks, and never buy a thing - too complicated, too much time, etc.

Warmest Regards,
    Covenant of the Phoenix - Fed | Covenant of the Phoenix - KDF www.cotp.info

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.” —Bertrand Russell
    edited March 2013
    Hehe... you could just $$$>zen>keys>EC then buy whatever, it's not THAT complicated...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Separate dev teams ;)

The only thing that should affect STO after NW goes live, is all those profits from STO which are obviously being spent on NW to get that up an running, should in fact be put back into STO.

As has been said many times now by several devs, the STO dev team is the largest it's been since launch, currently; and they're working on an update so large they're not calling it Season 8 anymore because it's much bigger than a typical Season.

Keep in mind that much of the work done on Neverwinter is going to provide things that will get incorporated into STO (and CO, even) in the next big codebase merge. Recall Tacofangs' awesome "all you ever needed to know about code merges you learned from Tacofangs" graphic:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8470443397_93a77be460_o.jpg
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    As has been said many times now by several devs, the STO dev team is the largest it's been since launch, currently; and they're working on an update so large they're not calling it Season 8 anymore because it's much bigger than a typical Season.

Keep in mind that much of the work done on Neverwinter is going to provide things that will get incorporated into STO (and CO, even) in the next big codebase merge. Recall Tacofangs' awesome "all you ever needed to know about code merges you learned from Tacofangs" graphic:

Um, thanks for that. I know all that though, been here since launch ;)

It is what they do that defines them. Still waiting or that massive team to fix the many many legacy bugs.

I'll reserve judgement when season [Redacted] is released, however.

As per previous updates, I have now learned to not get my hopes up and expect the worst from Cryptic. :(
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• merryprankster2merryprankster2 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here's an idea for a new lifetime perk. A working game that doesn't make you feel like you've been playing a closed beta for three years! Whoa... mindblowing!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Can we call the coder mergers "mustaching" since Taco's artwork looks like a handlebar mustache? :P
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited March 2013

So STO 2.0 :P:D:eek:
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Only for lifetimers huh? Way to ignore us vets AGAIN who pay more in regular subs than a lifetime is worth...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
    edited March 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    Only for lifetimers huh? Way to ignore us vets AGAIN who pay more in regular subs than a lifetime is worth...

I spend a minimum of $200 a month in Zen.... you?
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You do know over time, if you keep paying a sub, you'll have eventually exceeded the amount of a lifetimer sub?
    18 months of gold is equal to lifer sub i think.

Money sink vs 1 big payment and freedom from subs?

Which would you pick?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    edited March 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    You do know over time, if you keep paying a sub, you'll have eventually exceeded the amount of a lifetimer sub?
    18 months of gold is equal to lifer sub i think.

Money sink vs 1 big payment and freedom from subs?

Which would you pick?

Yep.. got mine at launch... now I get paid 500 zen every month to play the game :)

Made my monies worth on the LTS before the game even went F2P.
    edited March 2013
    Can we call the coder mergers "mustaching" since Taco's artwork looks like a handlebar mustache? :P

I'm in!
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    So STO 2.0 :P:D:eek:

And this too!
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
    edited March 2013
    Hmm... maybe call it STO-X?

(Kinda like when Blizzard eXpanded Diablo 2 to make what the players usually called D2X)

Or is that too much of an inside joke?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Anyone planning on playing this coming weekend?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited March 2013
    daveyny wrote: »

My guild has a strong presence in every beta weekend. We had 26 people last time, it'll be more this time. There were a ton of people last time.
  • dyvadadyvada Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well well
    i have a question.

I am a Lifetimer and there was a Winter Beta Weekend from the 8-10 March.

So here is the Question

Where was my Key ? Or even the notification that i can access that BETA ?

now the next BETA weekend is comming up and i still have nothing.

Very very sad.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2013

TOR has double xp weekend vs NWN beta weekend.

I'll be with the Force.

I am not touching another Cryptic game ever again. They didn't just burn some bridges, they packed them with dynamite and blew them sky high.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited March 2013

I'll be with the Force.

I am not touching another Cryptic game ever again. They didn't just burn some bridges, they packed them with dynamite and blew them sky high.

Lol, I played the Beta 2 weeks ago, wasn't worth going back for last weekend, nor will it be this weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
    edited March 2013

I'll be with the Force.

Soo... why are you here?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »

Go to one of the many gaming sites like Alienware and sign up for the free beta key... problem solved.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dyvada wrote: »
    Well well
    i have a question.

So here is the Question

Very very sad.

go to http://nw.perfectworld.com/download and download the game (before the weekend if possible) and login on the beta weekend and you are good to go. The server knows your account has access to the beta weekend as a lifetimer and no key is needed.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dyvada wrote: »
    Well well
    i have a question.

So here is the Question

Very very sad.

There is No Key for STO LTS people.. and never has been one.

Just DL the game and play when it goes live on Friday.

If you go back a few pages in this thread, you'll find a whole section with posts from BranFlakes and others about how to DL NW and how you don't need a key.

(or just check out the post above mine which ninj'd this same info) :D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited March 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    go to http://nw.perfectworld.com/download and download the game (before the weekend if possible) and login on the beta weekend and you are good to go. The server knows your account has access to the beta weekend as a lifetimer and no key is needed.
    It even uses the same account as your STO account.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • dyvadadyvada Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That is No Key for STO LTS people.. and never has been one.

Just DL the game and play when it goes live on Friday.

If you go back a few pages in this thread, you'll find a whole section with posts from BranFlakes and others about how to DL NW and how you don't need a key.

(or just check out the post above mine which ninj'd this same info) :D

Wont work there is no Download function the speed tell me 0,00kb/s all the time and the % are frozen at 0% too.

And no there is no problem with my internect connection.

But thanks anyway. Looks like i must wait until the game comes out. ;(