test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey Zeus, I think your sig needs attention!

EDIT

That got it :)
    I need a beer.

• zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey Zeus, I think your sig needs attention!

Fixed, slight typo :)

I try to follow the "most interesting" programmer style of posting...

" I don't test my code often, but when I do, I test it in production"

Zeus
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Look out we have a fanboy over here

He's not being a fanboy - he's being a human being and there's nothing wrong with that.

But as I noted above, when this kind of position is your job, too much is riding on it for you to bring your personal life into it.

We sympathise, of course we do - but when I have a job to do and people are counting on me, I get on with it - family matters or not.

Regarding the grind - we hear this a lot - 'every MMO has grind' - why? And why can't this one be different? It wasn't overly 'grindy' before - why is it now?

Why can't Cryptic's designers design something fun?
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    Fixed, slight typo :)

I try to follow the most interesting programmer style of posting...

" I don't test my code often, but when I do, I test it in production"

Zeus

Please add that to your sig - but change one little thing for me:

"I don't test my code often, but when I do, I test it on Holodeck" :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm only posting in here because I want to, just like all of you guys want to direct all of your anger on Dan. ...

Have you guys ever considered the reason why he gave such a rude post is because all of you are being out right rude to him? There's only so much that can be addressed by him. He is as human as you and me are. He had to deal with his sick daughter as expressed in the Harlem Shake thread and that he regrets starting that thread in the first place.

If you want to direct your anger on Dan, so be it - I feel sorry for you then. I am not directing anger at him - but rather expressing my opinion on Cryptic's decisions and recent mishandling of its paying customers.

As for the Cryptic Shake thread he started, and using his poor sick daughter as the reasoning behind it, well this is not High School and he is not a teenager. He is supposed to be a professional; and that post in lieu of everything going on with concerned customers was unprofessional, in my opinion.

As a professional and Cryptic employee, his posts on this forum represent the sentiment of the company towards is customers.

As Cryptic Customers, we have the right to speak our mind and sadly if they cannot act as professionals in customer relations then perhaps they should consider a career change.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
    edited February 2013

I second that emotion!
    I need a beer.

• solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    He's not being a fanboy - he's being a human being and there's nothing wrong with that.

But as I noted above, when this kind of position is your job, too much is riding on it for you to bring your personal life into it.

We sympathise, of course we do - but when I have a job to do and people are counting on me, I get on with it - family matters or not.

Regarding the grind - we hear this a lot - 'every MMO has grind' - why? And why can't this one be different? It wasn't overly 'grindy' before - why is it now?

Why can't Cryptic's designers design something fun?

Sorry, but on this I disagree. Yes he's human, but he is the very definition of a "fan". Just check out all the posts. No compromise. Even the words he use, drip with anger at anyone who is not happy at the moment.

Dan is an EP of STO and as he always says to us "the buck stops with him". So yes, all the ire should be directed at him.

What I don't get is why he feels the need to tell us about his daughter? This baffles me? I hope she does get better soon (and yes as a parent I do mean it), however to bring that into a discussion?

It's almost like those X-factor or other rubbish programs our lass likes, where the singer (and I say singer loosely) talks about how hard a life they have had and that winning the program would mean so much to them and their 16 brothers and sisters. It's asking for the sympathy vote.

I work for a large telecoms company and If any of our bosses went on to the various forums or twitters and said half the things Dan said or were as "brusque", we would loose business in a heartbeat.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I posted up a new video concerning PWE / Cryptic business practices. Hope you all enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DZb07sbdpk

I went and saw the thread Dan posted at midnight last night. Yeah, the timing for that was kind of ugh.

I really wish they would just tell us what these fleet mark changes are going to be already. I mean how hard is it to say "We are adding 20% more marks to such and such fleet actions...."

I will never understand why they expect us to take their word for it and go by their numbers when we never get to see the numbers.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Which do you want Dan to actually do? Spend time in here with us and address concerns which will take away his time of trying to address fixes, or do you want him to do something better with the game, which means him not being able to address this thread?

Furthermore, do you expect him to work around the clock?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited February 2013

Done with great pleasure! :)

Zeus
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm only posting in here because I want to, just like all of you guys want to direct all of your anger on Dan. He and the rest of the staff have been working to provide us with something for the game. Regardless of how much you guys despise the grind in the game, I don't see the grind going away. Any MMO out there has grind.

Have you guys ever considered the reason why he gave such a rude post is because all of you are being out right rude to him? There's only so much that can be addressed by him. He is as human as you and me are. He had to deal with his sick daughter as expressed in the Harlem Shake thread and that he regrets starting that thread in the first place.

Who do you suggest we direct it at? Dan is the man at the top and ultimately the one responsible for everything that comes and goes in this game. And the product they've been pushing out has made it through Tribble with the same bugs, many of which have not been fixed since the game's initial release. Every season they add a new grind in lieu of actual content and more lockboxes thereby shortening the longevity of the game. You cannot add as factions or meaningful, dynamic reputations later if it's already been released as a quick cash grab. The Valentine's Day Massacre patch is merely the latest in a long line of insults to the player.

Now I ask you again: Who else should take the fall here? Even Kirk would admit the captain is accountable for all those under his command.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    I posted up a new video concerning PWE / Cryptic business practices. Hope you all enjoy it.

I went and saw the thread Dan posted at midnight last night. Yeah, the timing for that was kind of ugh.

I really wish they would just tell us what these fleet mark changes are going to be already. I mean how hard is it to say "We are adding 20% more marks to such and such fleet actions...."

I will never understand why they expect us to take their word for it and go by their numbers when we
    never get to see the numbers.

Probably because most of the time even they dont know wtf they are wanting to do till the day prior to patch. And if its broken...TRIBBLE it. Its going in anyhow.
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Come on, man. No one is saying that. You look silly trying to hang that out there.

But if Dan is going to post at midnight on a Monday, after a full weekend of people questioning his direction and decision making regarding fleet marks and buggy game-breaking patches, he might want to answer those concerns before asking for funny in-game dance videos.

Which even he now agrees would have been the better route to go.

Get it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Which do you want Dan to actually do? Spend time in here with us and address concerns which will take away his time of trying to address fixes, or do you want him to do something better with the game, which means him not being able to address this thread?

I'm sure PWE/Crytpic has a dedicated PR department! Where are they? What about the Executives PR person? What happened to that person after the St. Valentine's day Massacre Patch?

PWE/Cryptic Where are you? Why are you not listening to your customers?

PWE/Cryptic Stop the FARM, Bring back the FUN!

Zeus
    edited February 2013

I will never understand why they expect us to take their word for it and go by their numbers when we never get to see the numbers.

Watched that vid and I quite agree. It seems to me that this is rather shaky ground. Especially when the prizes for gambling in this manner are not of a tangible nature.

When it comes to cryptic and number/metrics, I'd like to see HOW the came up with those numbers as well as the methods they used to analyse said numbers.
    It would start the process of restoring faith in them imo.
    I need a beer.

• stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Now I ask you again: Who else should take the fall here? Even Kirk would admit the captain is accountable for all those under his command.

More accurately: the Captain is responsible when he orders his crew to do something. This wasn't some rogue guy sneaking in code to remove fleet marks.
    edited February 2013
    solomace wrote: »
    Sorry, but on this I disagree. Yes he's human, but he is the very definition of a "fan". Just check out all the posts. No compromise. Even the words he use, drip with anger at anyone who is not happy at the moment.

Ah, well I haven't read back too far (and it sounds like I probably don't want to).
    Dan is an EP of STO and as he always says to us "the buck stops with him". So yes, all the ire should be directed at him.

I agree - if you take that job you should know what it entails.
    What I don't get is why he feels the need to tell us about his daughter? This baffles me? I hope she does get better soon (and yes as a parent I do mean it), however to bring that into a discussion?

To be fair, he was trying to explain why that whole Harlem Shake thing happened - he was up in the middle of the night with his sick daughter trying to help her get to sleep and made a dumb post on the forums - one he's already said he regrets.
    I work for a large telecoms company and If any of our bosses went on to the various forums or twitters and said half the things Dan said or were as "brusque", we would loose business in a heartbeat.

Well this isn't the first time - during the S7 Dilithium nerfs we were told that we needed more manners :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013

But he has time to address it in other threads as well as making one? Please, we all get that you are not happy with this thread but all your doing is making it bigger by posting so your not helping your case at all, but helping those not happy.

Is Dan doing the fixes? Doesn't he have people in charge of departments doing it?

As to work around the clock. Once again he's the EP of STO that is "supposed" to be making lots of cash. I wouldn't expect him to have a 9-5 job and I would expect him to work from home and do unsociable hours.

Isn't that what comes with big job titles, big responsibilities?

Please, keep up the defense.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Truly the best thing to come out of all this!!!

It took one iceberg to sink the Titanic because they didn't know just how large it was under the water. Who knew that a simple patch that removed FM from F-missions would result in all this? Their response has been pretty much to keep playing the music...
    Bon Voyage!
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
    edited February 2013

Vegeta, you forget that what he or the powers that be might define as "better" does not necessarily mesh with what we the players define as "better".

No, we expect him to do his job in a professional manner.
    You do know what that means right?
    I need a beer.

• thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013

The crazy thing IMO, is after the debacle with the 75 pages of testers notes pointing out the flaws from The Valentine Day Massacre patch, that their going to repeat the same mistake again and wait until the last minute to add a new ship, some supposed changes and I'm sure a few fixes that break other things to the Tribble server......

Here's hoping they fix the bugs from last weeks patch that's keeping people from playing the game because they can't assign their BOFFs on their ships.
    edited February 2013

To be fair, he was trying to explain why that whole Harlem Shake thing happened - he was up in the middle of the night with his sick daughter trying to help her get to sleep

Ahh, well I take it back then. If it was said in this context, then yes I understand and as mentioned take back what I was implying.
    edited February 2013
    Ahh, well I take it back then. If it was said in this context, then yes I understand and as mentioned take back what I was implying.

It's sad and all, but really, why post right when you have the most on your plate and you're at your most tired?
    It was a poorly timed post. Any other time and I'm sure there would have been many great submissions to it, but it was still badly timed and handled whatever is said.

Hopefully the little 'un gets well soon.
    I need a beer.

edited February 2013
    It's sad and all, but really, why post right when you have the most on your plate and you're at your most tired?
    It was a poorly timed post. Any other time and I'm sure there would have been many great submissions to it, but it was still badly timed and handled whatever is said.

Hopefully the little 'un gets well soon.

Kids will do that to you. Been there, done that... :)...
    edited February 2013
    Kids will do that to you. Been there, done that... :)...

I'm not a parent, so I have to admit that I have little idea when it comes to the little 'uns.
    Does it show? :)
    I need a beer.

• izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I could have been worse, he could have tweeted *** **** or posted a ******* ****** ****** "**********."
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will continue to watch this thread, but for the meantime, I'm going to go back to working on editing my foundry mission so that it's good enough to play. I just can't really make any sense of this. If someone wishes to talk to me, I'll be in the game. Good luck with getting his attention further guys.

Edit: Seems one bug that popped up might be fixed soon, with two days to test on tribble to boot.
    Just a heads up for everyone--we'll probably have a build on Tribble later today that ought to fix the inability to slot Bridge Officers. :)

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited February 2013
    izdubar2 wrote: »
    I could have been worse, he could have tweeted *** **** or posted a ******* ****** ****** "**********."

You make a good point! :D
    lol
    I need a beer.

edited February 2013
    I'm not a parent, so I have to admit that I have little idea when it comes to the little 'uns.
    Does it show? :)

No m8. Your doing fine.

The touch at the end of you post about the young un, says you do have some ideas:)
    edited February 2013
    I will continue to watch this thread, but for the meantime, I'm going to go back to working on editing my foundry mission so that it's good enough to play. I just can't really make any sense of this. If someone wishes to talk to me, I'll be in the game. Good luck with getting his attention further guys.

Wow, is that some handshakes across the water, olive branch thingy?

If so, I will take it:)

If not, then I just got punked...:mad::mad:;)
This discussion has been closed.