test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    I agree that there are those who will defend anything. I've debated a few myself. The problem comes when those who see both the good and the bad get tarred with the same brush -- or those who have differing viewpoints as to whether a specific thing was a boneheaded move or not.

That is "if you disagree with my viewpoint, you're just a CDF/troll and what you say doesn't matter."

It's not about differing viewpoints. There are many differing viewpoints in this thread. But there is a difference between differeing viewpints and rampant fanboyism. A paraphrased example:

Player: We are tired of the bugs, the grind, and lack of content.
    CDF: Geez, it's a couple of fleet marks.
    Player: I don't car about the marks, I just want some bug free gameplay.
    CDF: You won't be happy until they reinstate fleet marks.
    Player: Again, forget the marks. I would be happy if we got a sligh dilithium refinement cap increase.
    CDF: LOL at being made at lack of Fleet Marks.

That's prety much how it goes. That's what seperates a fanboy from a person with a differing viewpoint.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Don't fall for this statement. You can hear the players complain about the changes to the foundary missions in the ESD zone, well we can, I don't know if Cryptic are listening to their players in-game.

Metrics won't show up players who are disappointed and hoping that things will change relatively soon - posters on these forums are being relied upon by the silent ones to help those changes happen.

It's hard to hear when the hearing aid batteries are dead!

Kind of like this... "I see what you mean said the blind man!"

PWE/Cryptic Stop the FARM, Bring back the FUN!

Zeus
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope they have an alternate plan for earning revenue then...

The article even mentions STO directly. Do you want to know more?
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/611721-regulation-may-alter-mmo-landscape-part-1

What a suitable quote for what is going on this weekend as well.

Now if PWE wanted to know of a much better way they could earn tremendous profit and satisfy their customer base at the same time... well they don't listen to us anyway, so what's the point?

Instead all they want to do is remove things from the game and punish it's player base - well good luck with that strategy let me know how it works out for ya.

I read the article and it gave me a wonderful idea for a new video. I will work on it and hopefully it rings true with people.

The whole "gacha" factor is annoyingly real and should be addressed as well. To think...all these things are coming to light simply because Cryptic decided to remove our fleet marks. Well, Cryptic, in case you didn't know. It's still winter here.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    I agree that there are those who will defend anything. I've debated a few myself. The problem comes when those who see both the good and the bad get tarred with the same brush -- or those who have differing viewpoints as to whether a specific thing was a boneheaded move or not.

That is "if you disagree with my viewpoint, you're just a CDF/troll and what you say doesn't matter."

Whenever I see "CDF" or "troll" in a post, it automatically drops down the scale of validity for me. It's dismissive of someone else's viewpoint, not a rational point of discussion.

Hey, I use CDF in a lot of my posts, but it really only applies to 3 or 4 people who everyone knows who they are. The term does apply to these people and has from day one.

They're just as bad as me except they don't want to acknowledge that. I don't tell them to "get lost", or "you cannot post" or any other of a thousand things that I have heard time and time again.

There's also another set that will also defend Cryptic to the hilt and belittle or ridicule others who don't agree with their opinion, but when something happens that effects them, they too scream and shout like the rest about injustice. We know these people too.

There's also the sanctimonious ones, the ones who looove to use big words and big posts to show how clever they are and always using "buzz words" to make them sound like they know what they are talking about.

And do you know what, I wouldn't want any of them to change.

In the end, these forums have been better than the game itself and I don't see anything changing except more and more people being unhappy with this great IP being ruined.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    As I stated 100s of threads before, additional Fleet Marks are coming.

Will Fleet Marks be added back to Foundry missions? Nope.

Will Fleet Marks be increased on other missions? Yes.

How soon?

As I hinted at last week, you will see changes over the next several month, but the first change will be this Thursday.

We are not detailing that change until the patch notes hit.

Dan,

Adding in FM's in other places is just a small thing of what we are saying here.

The game has become a grind without any real new fun content for a long time now. There are so many bugs and broken promises that have been left that way for years now that just doing the above will not work now.

If only you and the dev team would just take time to make the game stable and more fun without the grinding, that even you have posted before was not fun and we should not have to do, we (aka the customers) would support you and make this the best, most fun, most played, and most profitable game ever!

Please reconsider your direction for the game.

Respectfully,

Zeus
  • nova2284nova2284 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As I stated 100s of threads before, additional Fleet Marks are coming.

Will Fleet Marks be added back to Foundry missions? Nope.

Will Fleet Marks be increased on other missions? Yes.

How soon?

As I hinted at last week, you will see changes over the next several month, but the first change will be this Thursday.

We are not detailing that change until the patch notes hit.

I guess we should be happy you seem to care but... "Why so Cryptic!?"
    I hope take us Serious because you trigger game breaking issue with removing fleet marks form daily officer reports. my question is why wanted turn game in wow with all the grinding and reps and marks? You need understand the fact most people you got left wow or other games with grinding maybe more simple solutions would keep game around longer. You may not know it but planet seeds for games death ignoring other issues bugs that been in the game and need be addressed beside issues of fleet marks.

QUOTE=vividh;8178631]Let's just see what happens on Thursday.[/QUOTE]

Sorry tell you but it will be a patch add yet another zen ship to the game and Ignore other issues Oh by the way foundry will be down yet again.

my other issue if going feature a foundry mission can you work with people posted and clean them up spelling and not be punny but make them less cryptic:confused::o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DELTA RISING FIXS THERE NEVER COMING WHY I'M I WASTING MY TIME ASKING FOR THEM ???
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Why wasn't this posted in this thread, too?

Unbelievable isn't it?

200+ pages on a thread started by dStahl himself, and all we get from him here is a terse note effectively saying 'trust me and shut up'.

Even in the post you quoted, he still takes no responsibility for throwing the valentines day massacre patch onto tribble, generating 75 pages of bug reports, all of which are ignored, the patch is sent live and (now known to be) seriously bugged....and all this just before a 3 day weekend.

Staggeringly short sighted at best, certainly apology worthy, and yet what do we get?
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *cracks knuckles* OK then...
    dastahl wrote:
    We absolutely do listen to feedback. But there is another issue, some people like to exploit.

Then you punish the exploiters not the player-base as a whole.
    dastahl wrote:
    I take full responsibility and freely admit that we have been heavy handed with closing exploits and that in the future we will strive to be more considerate about how we close loopholes. Providing clear alternatives for players NOT exploiting while we close down the holes.

Fair enough.
    dastahl wrote:
    If you go back in time to when Foundry missions HAD NO REWARDS, these issues were not around. It is only when we started adding "tangible" rewards to the Foundry that the issues surrounding the Foundry became more in depth.

But you're a smart guy Dan - you're surrounded by smart people making missions using tools developed by smart programmers.

You knew exactly these type of missions could be created with the Foundry when you released it to the STO community. You also (by your own admission above) knew that some people like to exploit.

Given this, I find it incredibly hard to believe that you were taken by surprise when a segment of the player-base started grinding these missions for easy Marks/Dilithium - you've been in the business of making MMOs for how long now exactly?
    dastahl wrote:
    We want to reward Foundry missions. We want players to be recognized for making great missions (where great is determined by the player base - not us).

More or less than you want your players to be able to advance their Fleet bases or earn Dilithium and other rewards without having to grind dull, repetitive content?

Something as time-consuming, costly and controversial as the Fleet Advancement System needs more careful tuning and handling and discussion than just throwing a bunch of Marks at an unrelated mission.

People have invested thousands of hours of their time and thousands of dollars of their money in their Fleets - they're the single biggest sink in the game - don't you think such a contentious issue needs to be handled with exceptional care?
    dastahl wrote:
    However, as soon as we started attaching real rewards to the Foundry, exploits started.

Which again, I posit that you already knew would happen - why not open a dialogue with the entire community before implementing such a rewards system?
    dastahl wrote:
    Whether it was the click a contact missions or the recent AFK farming of Foundry missions, having rewards on Foundry missions is problematic.

No s**t Sherlock.
    dastahl wrote:
    We take responsibility for putting the rewards there in the first place, but it is out of our desire to credit those who make missions in the Foundry that achieve status in the community.

And that's fine and dandy, just don't TRIBBLE with the wider economy because you'd like to support the Foundry authors.
    dastahl wrote:
    So recently, we pulled Fleet Marks from the Foundry because there were too many people AFK completing missions, or in other words logging into the mission, letting the client sit there for 30 minutes and then collecting rewards, and Fleet Marks to boot.

So why only the Fleet Marks? You can still run those missions and get Dilithium and loot (and I'm sure many people are) - in fact, you can make a 2 -hour Boff-Grinder now that awards more Dilithium than any other mission in the game for the player doing nothing.

Why Fleet Marks? Is it because there's no system to control them they way you do Dilithium refining?
    dastahl wrote:
    Should we have upped the Fleet Marks on other missions before we pulled the FMs from the Foundry? Well I think the answer is obviously yes.

Well *duh*
    dastahl wrote:
    But to think that we are pulling Fleet Marks without an intention to add them back is false. We really do monitor Fleet Marks daily and we know how last week's changes impacted overall Fleet Mark earning. We will be compensating in this week's update to Holodeck.

And we'll be waiting to see what you do.
    dastahl wrote:
    Will it make everyone happy? no. But it will add Fleet Marks back into the economy.

See this just makes me shake my head - sure, you're never going to make everyone happy but a statement like this just says to me 'you're not gonna like it - any of you' - is that me being pessimistic? Or is it just you being Dan Stahl?
    dastahl wrote:
    We do plan to continue updating the Fleet Mark economies as the game progresses and as stated in posts several days ago, we will be reclassifying what are Events and what are Fleet Actions with a goal of making Fleet Marks the reward for "Group" gameplay.

Which is a mistake as I'll explain below.
    dastahl wrote:
    Fleet Projects are only a small percentage Fleet Mark based so if you do not like to "group" then you'll have to contribute in other ways. We DO expect Fleet Holdings to require "group" gameplay for the most part. This is why we will continue to tune Fleet Holdings up through the May update.

But Fleet Marks award 50 Fleet Credits per Mark whilst Dilithium - (y'know - the stuff you buy with REAL money) awards 1 Fleet Credit - other consumables award far less.

Now, there's small Fleets out there where the members are swimming in Fleet Credits, there's also large fleets where members struggle to earn FCs because projects get filled so fast.

Which means my options if I don't want to do Fleet Actions, are to put Dilithium in (good one Dan!) or dozens of Doffs and other crappy resources which get me very few Fleet Credits.

Put simply, it's unfair to a segment of your players and it isn't going to work.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • rbatalla1977rbatalla1977 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It was absolutely our poor decision to put Fleet Marks on the Foundry mission in the first place. That is our mistake and we let it go on for too long.

To say that we punished everyone is very subjective because at the same time that we removed Fleet Marks, we greatly increased the amount of Dilithium that Foundry missions can reward. Dilithium is in far more demand by Fleets than Fleet Marks, and this entirely designed to aid. Dilithium is much safer to reward in Foundry (which tends to see a large amount of exploiting) because of the refinement cap.

So, as one upset customer wrote in "now I have to actually play the game in order to make Fleet Marks?" Yes. You must actively participate in order to gain Fleet Marks. You cannot go AFK in a Foundry mission and then alt-tab back over once the mission completes.

On a programming side, we are working on better ways to detect this so that we can be clearer about "qualifying missions" but in the meantime the changes are done in the best interest of the game.

"but in the meantime the changes are done in the best interest of the game."

Interesting how they make decisions. How about we make changes with the best interest on the player in mind. After all, that is not how business succeed? Just to give you guys a short lesson in business, the measure of happiness of customer will have an effect on your profit. Happy players = happy customers = more purchases....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    I've read the whole thread actually...

Have been keeping up since it first opened.

I just don't see any reason to get so worked up over an Online Computer Game.

Things have changed drastically many times since this games inception (including the company who owns it), this is just another change that has come along that has many players in a snit cause it isn't something they like.

A month or two from now there will be another change that causes an uproar and this one will slide to a back burner.

I've been around long enough to know that what I can't change or control, means I have to adapt or go find something else to do.

A game, is not something that I let get the best of my emotions...

Especially when that's one of the driving forces behind companies attempting to get my money.

Just a note to ponder on...

Every idea, change, or movement start with just one person!

PWE/Crytpic Stop the FARM, Bring back the FUN!

Zeus
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have been patrolling this thread for a few days now, and I think if 2200 posts about the grind, bugs and other problems that people see wrong with the game don't get some recognition from the developers in a thread that was originally about the fleet marks change, why bother continuing to address these? It's not even on topic.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited February 2013
    I have been patrolling this thread for a few days now, and I think if 2200 posts about the grind, bugs and other problems that people see wrong with the game don't get some recognition from the developers in a thread that was originally about the fleet marks change, why bother continuing to address these? It's not even on topic.

Why are you posting then? What harm does it do to you?

Better still, why are you not playing the game and enjoying it instead of "patrolling" this thread for days;)
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013

Obviously something must be wrong if your patrolling this thread and not blindly grinding for The Masters...
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We can add PvP to the grievance list: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=821871

Hats off to the death of what little PvP there was left.

Not to mention upgradable weapon's cash grab.

One can only hope some of this money goes to game enhancements/improvements.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Optimism my friend OPTIMISM!

But really, is the game that fun that you feel the need to "patrol" this thread for days on end? Doesn't that seem to prove our point(s)?
    I need a beer.

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013

In my belief it is on topic. We're starting to talk about the underlying causes of things rather than the symptoms.

The removal of fleet marks may well have kick started the whole thing, but its the way it was done and the circumstances surrounding it that have sustained it.

All of this sound anf fury could have been avoided if the tribble test server had been used in the way it was intended to.....in other words, to release a patch on tribble, guage the feedback and adjust accordingly.

Instead we had a few hours to test it on tribble, 75 pages of feedback, all of it ignored and the patch sent live and unfixed to holodeck before a 3 day weekend.

It's the apparent arrogance that, I think, has got under peoples skin. Mr Stahl seems to have forgotten the wisdom in measure twice, cut once.

He rushed at fixing a questionable loophole to keep a tiny minority of foundry authors happy and in so doing has really annoyed a much bigger portion of the player base.

His posts in this thread seem to suggest that he simply doesn't care.

Thats the problem.
    edited February 2013

Its Rage Pure Rage :mad::mad::mad: its unfocused at the moment but think because lack of cryptic be proactive with fixing issue and cause new ones but want to release content zen store over fix real issues... this thread its same as sparking match next to a powder keg it blew up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DELTA RISING FIXS THERE NEVER COMING WHY I'M I WASTING MY TIME ASKING FOR THEM ???
    edited February 2013
    Now the 3rd most commented thread in the news section since the game was in beta in 2010 :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    nova2284 wrote: »
    Its Rage Pure Rage :mad::mad::mad: its unfocused at the moment but think because lack of cryptic be proactive with fixing issue and cause new ones but want to release content zen store over fix real issues... this thread its same as sparking match next to a powder keg it blew up.

I thought it was quite focused in the most part.
    edited February 2013
    Now the 3rd most commented thread in the news section since the game was in beta in 2010 :)

yeah the other was that fed dread and people getting ripped off with recruiter friend wasn't it
    solomace wrote: »

maybe but it seem to be dead for fact devs blew us all off with unclear post about patch you think that cause more rage and get back point and that the lack of care for customer/player, fleet marks, and, bugs... etc the issues go on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    We can add PvP to the grievance list: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=821871

5 forward weapons slots?((Actually 7 when you deploy its console.))Cryptic, are you totally serious? You've just put every fleet escort out of business. As if you couldn't make PvP an even bigger Epic Fail.

They just keep getting worse and worse...

This is what Thursdays patch is all about. Not fixing anything. Their scrambling to add some last minute things to quiet the masses. But this is the centerpiece, not the things they should be fixing...

Someone post the e-mail for CBS, they need to start getting some mail...
    edited February 2013
    solomace wrote: »

It's been very focused - yes the original topic was Fleet Marks but this is symptomatic of bigger issues than Cryptic's meddling with rewards.

There's also been relatively little rage as a thorough browse through of these posts reveals that Brandon hasn't had to wield his red pen too much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solidsamsolidsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think Team Cryptic was offended that player made content was more enjoyable to grind through than their missions. IOR was a fun way to experience new content and be rewarded(well) for it. It didn't feel like a grind at all. It was fun and my entire fleet was enjoying it.

I don't know who to feel more angry at. The exploiters that ruined it for us all, or Cryptic for adding the FM reward (making the Foundry relevant) knowing they'd just take it away.
    Formerly known as Khannnnn
    "Spock, this 'child' is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now, what do you suggest we do? Spank it?" -Commander Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, M.D.
    edited February 2013
    Dan,

I am sorry your daughter is sick and you should not be here at all. Go take care of your family as family always comes first!

I am also sure that someone else at PWE/Cryptic could come in here and discuss in detail the items we have been saying are broken with the current game direction and design. You are not the entire PWE/Cryptic staff and should not be seen as such.

Where is your support from the rest of PWE/Crytpic?

We, the customers, need to discuss the issues with them and see if they understand what is really wrong here. And can they, or will they even try, to fix them?

Go take care of your family and let your staff and the people in-charge take over until your family is better!

PWE/Cryptic Where are you? Why are you not listening to your customers?

Zeus
    edited February 2013
    solidsam wrote: »
    I think Team Cryptic was offended that player made content was more enjoyable to grind through than their missions. IOR was a fun way to experience new content and be rewarded(well) for it. It didn't feel like a grind at all. It was fun and my entire fleet was enjoying it.

I don't know who to feel more angry at. The exploiters that ruined it for us all, or Cryptic for adding the FM reward (making the Foundry relevant) knowing they'd just take it away.

Enjoyable is debatable, but it was certainly more rewarding! Hell, some of the foundry missions were actually rather good.
    I need a beer.

edited February 2013

Not to mention upgradable weapon's cash grab.

One can only hope some of this money goes to game enhancements/improvements.

*Ouch!*

That's going to put a dent in the value of the JHAS :)

(although they'll probably get an extra weapon slot as another 'gift')
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well as for the most posts on a topic - there are 100 more posts on this very topic in the Why Forum Posters are important thread. I think the two should be merged into the count.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
    edited February 2013
    Well as for the most posts on a topic - there are 100 more posts on this very topic in the Why Forum Posters are important thread. I think the two should be merged into the count.

Why? I don't see the need tbh.
    I need a beer.

• nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    Where is your support from the rest of PWE/Crytpic?

We, the customers, need to discuss the issues with them and see if they understand what is really wrong here. And can they, or will they even try, to fix them?

Go take care of your family and let your staff and the people in-charge take over until your family is better!

PWE/Cryptic Where are you? Why are you not listening to your customers?

Zeus

I feel like the service is gone from Cryptic / PWE. A fine example, is a member of my fleet logged into his account not too long ago to find 2 of his FED characters gone. He paid for the extra character slots himself and he never deleted his characters, plus his characters fleet donations are still showing on the leaderboard. He submitted a ticket and the response was along the lines of, "We can't see you ever had those characters, we'll look into it. Thanks".

Since then he's got nothing back from them, I'm amazed he didn't quit but he's a pretty laid back guy and just plays on his one remaining character.

Cryptic / PWE need to seriously get their act together and give Dan some more support as well.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm only posting in here because I want to, just like all of you guys want to direct all of your anger on Dan. He and the rest of the staff have been working to provide us with something for the game. Regardless of how much you guys despise the grind in the game, I don't see the grind going away. Any MMO out there has grind.

Have you guys ever considered the reason why he gave such a rude post is because all of you are being out right rude to him? There's only so much that can be addressed by him. He is as human as you and me are. He had to deal with his sick daughter as expressed in the Harlem Shake thread and that he regrets starting that thread in the first place.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
This discussion has been closed.