test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Foundry/ Fleet Mark Reward Changes

Comments

• fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, this basically means the foundry is practically dead except for the small handful of people that played them solely for the story.

For those that did the missions for the Dilithium, the current grinders will simply get replaced either with long Boff grinders or long versions of the afk-autocomplete missions. (those that basically put you in an empty room and finish automatically after a 15-min timer runs out).
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bareel wrote: »
    Oh and this is a F2P game I'm sure the vast majority of hardcore grinders/farmers have more than one account.

You would be surprised how quickly dilith adds up when you PvP your alternate account with the PvP missions.
  • emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Oh, so because they put an exploit into the game, that makes it okay? Right... :rolleyes:

An exploit is something that is done by a player that was NOT intended by the programmers. Adding FM to the Foundry daily was done intentionally. That didn't program itself. The addition of FM was announced by one or more devs. Those 2 facts prove that getting FM from the Foundry daily was NOT an exploit. So stop calling it an exploit. It is not in any way imaginable an exploit.

You can claim that FM should only come from fleet related events, but that's an entirely different argument...and one I'd agree with.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ryeknow wrote: »
    I still suspect there will be more exploiting to come than now depending how the dilith scaling works.

There will be nothing to stop someone from say picking a ground foundry, finding a corner and hitting auto-run and go afk for 30 mins to an hour or more then come back and F-spam the mindless dribble dialogs.

They probably have a hard cap in place - meaning after a certain amount of time (and as a pulled out of my rear example) - lets say 1 hour, meaning if you sit in, or the mission takes longer than 1 hour the maximum dilithium you'll receive is capped at the 1 hour mark, regardless.

But, that's all conjecture at this point. I AM very surprised they just removed FM as a reward completely, and didn't just subject an FM reward to a similar sliding scale; but what they've decided is what they've decided (Welcome to the every changing world of MMOs ;))

I also think with this reward system change, and the 1440 Dil bonus for doing a Spotlight mission, they've pretty much assured that anyone who does decide to use the Foundry now, will more likely than not, just stick to, and play the missions on the Spotlighted list -- but time will tell.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    emperormak wrote: »
    An exploit is something that is done by a player that was NOT intended by the programmers. Adding FM to the Foundry daily was done intentionally. That didn't program itself. The addition of FM was announced by one or more devs. Those 2 facts prove that getting FM from the Foundry daily was NOT an exploit. So stop calling it an exploit. It is not in any way imaginable an exploit.

You havetorealize that "exploit" onthis forum means "anything i dont approve of."
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    valorduty wrote: »
    i like to know what they are thinking, every time they change some thing screws the smaller fleets/ guilds in the game. if your small fleet of 20-30 you have no chance of up grading your base, expecally if they are from different parts of the world. This type of upgrade would make me want to boycot by not purchasing zen!

THIS THIS THIS THIS!

What in the name of GRETHOR are they thinking?

I'm so agree I can't think straight after this news and to be honest ... THE DEVS DON'T GIVE A FRAK! ... AND I AM SO TIRED OF SOME PLAYERS / FOUNDRY AUTHORS ON HIGH BLEEPING THE FRAKKIN GAME FOR THE REST OF US!!!!
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hfmudd wrote: »
    I do honestly wonder if the "pittance" and "low" rates from the fleet events - if you can find enough people to queue, which is by no means a certainty - is, in fact, the rate at which Cryptic wants us to earn Fleet Marks. They don't want us getting the end of the Space Clubhouse system too soon...
    hfmudd wrote: »
    I can pretty much guarantee that this wasn't due to a few complaints of unplayed missions, but because Cryptic looked at their internal data and saw that people were earning fleet marks "too fast" and by means other than grinding out the same fleet actions over and over.

It's not the Foundry authors saying "play our way or else," it's Cryptic (who have, as we see here, the power to actually enforce it).

I'd be more inclined to belive it is a "earning too fast" issue if not for all the Foundry authors constantly QQ about no one playing their missions. The first foundry nerf was exactly what the authors wanted, as they were the only ones complaining. Besides, it can't be earnings issue; you can count on one hand how many T5 starbases there are, and last tier fleet ships there are. I see few using all elite fleet ground sets (or all elite space sets for that matter).

It's no coincidence that the "Foundry Few" just happen to get what they want.

We must all adhere to how they want us to play.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    atomictiki wrote: »
    You havetorealize that "exploit" onthis forum means "anything i dont approve of."

I realize that. I don't have to like it though.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2013

We must all adhere to how they want us to play.

Yeah ... I noticed the same thing.

I like foundry missions but honestly ... the superior attitude of the ones you speak of made me stop playing their missions.

I'm sick of small pockets of players ruining it for the rest.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • trellabortrellabor Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hilarious. There is no end to Cryptic's trolling of the player base. This change, at the time, was OBVIOUSLY over compensation for something and many players noted that it would be only 'a matter of time' before they reversed this decision as it was seemingly counter to every Cryptic knee-jerk reaction to lock down any type of players 'earning' anything in this game.

Coming in now and saying 'Well people are earning marks too easily' is laughable. This would obviously be the outcome given that you get maybe 25-27 marks from a Fleet event DURING the Fleet Mark event, and doing an IOR takes as much if not less time, gives 50 marks and DIL and drops. Um...Duh?

At this point, I think most people like myself when they saw the change originally then decided to virtually 'go to town' and run IOR's every day all day whenever possible and maximize our rewards before Cryptic finally got around to nerfing themselves yet again....so this doesn't concern 'us' anymore as 'we' already got whatever Fleet ships/weapons 'we' needed while the reward was abundant. Just another reason to not log in, it's more fun these days to come to the forums and see the train wreck that ensues from Cryptic's decision/indecision making.
    ____
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The o3 - Killed you good
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    genhauk wrote: »

I like foundry missions but honestly ... the superior attitude of the ones you speak of made me stop playing their missions.

trellabor wrote: »
    At this point, I think most people like myself when they saw the change originally then decided to virtually 'go to town' and run IOR's every day all day whenever possible and maximize our rewards before Cryptic finally got around to nerfing themselves yet again....so this doesn't concern 'us' anymore as 'we' already got whatever Fleet ships/weapons 'we' needed while the reward was abundant. Just another reason to not log in, it's more fun these days to come to the forums and see the train wreck that ensues from Cryptic's decision/indecision making.

I don't get it. I was finally starting to enjoy the game again, and now... I'm not so sure. :(

I'm deeply saddened. I don't think I've been this mad about something in the game since they took the loot boxes away. :(
    edited February 2013
    trellabor wrote: »

Yeah. I pretty much agree with that assessment.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    genhauk wrote: »

Um, "we" didn't ask for this. This was planned from long ago. Seriously.... Look up Zeronius's posts. they have been planning to axe the foundry wrapper.... honestly probably since before they even created it. so.... don't go blaming the people who spend hours writing missions for this change.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The fleet marks on the other hand... what exactly is the other good source supposed to be? That's a terrible change.

Commendation reports. You need to get your CXP maxed out as quickly as you can. And you can legitimately AFK it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No offense but if you seriously think that's a fair trade you're awfully poor at math. Those were already in the game before. It's not like they suddenly get good with this. It's the same as before but with the actual main source gone without any substitute offered.

It also eliminates pretty much anyone under level 50 contributing.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
    edited February 2013
    As someone who works full time, I get a much better, quicker, more reliable yield of both dilithium and fleet marks from the Commendation Reports and DOFF assignments than from the Foundry--and if they ever get the Gateway working for setting DOFF assignments, that's going to become even more true, because you'll have a lot of people with full-time jobs able to drop in and swap DOFF assignments on their smart phones without having to risk using the company computers.

Once you've maxed out your DOFFs, the effort/time spent for the yield of fleet marks is the most favorable in the game. Espionage is the easiest given the high yield of CXP from the "Infiltrate the Orion Syndicate" mission. For me, the next most frequent to hit 110,000 are Military and Engineering, mainly because of the high dilithium yield missions in this category that I run (stuff like EV combat training), and the "Experimental [Console]" type missions that yield you equipment you can put on the exchange or vendor off. If you work the DOFF system with the intention of maximizing your yield on CXP, that is the most time-efficient method of gaining Fleet Marks in the game since for the most part, your DOFFs will handle the hard work for you.

As far as eliminating everyone from under Level 50 from contributing--obviously you'll get the highest contributions from a fully-leveled toon. But considering how quickly one can level in this game, I'm not sure that's as big of an obstacle as it sounds like.

Another thing: if you have the character slots to dedicate one Klink to just DOFFing, and focus your efforts on the Marauding category, you can farm commodities and contraband in a huge way, which you can then shuttle over to the toons who need it for their fleets. These are things that have worked well for me, and that I think if these changes are implemented, will become the most efficient strategies for fleet marks.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't like this.

Time based rewards just mean, and I quote;
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I see a new renaissance for AFK grinders.

I don't give a flying figleaf about the marks. I can see why some of the Me Want All NAO! types would be angry at their removal, but they want half a million just for logging on. You can't do anything about them.

Getting rid of the wrapper and giving out big rewards for playing the spotlights does make sense. But a flat rate for completion of any mission, including the boring grinders, should stay as is. Reduce it a bit if they're worried about someone doing several AKF missions per hour. Or increase the spotlight rewards.

This is just moving the problem they want to fix somewhere else.

Yes. It's a shadowy conspiracy of players who sit behind the scenes pulling Cryptic's strings like some sort of internet Illuminati. They seem to be a pretty lousy conspiracy since they're so obvious, obviously. Yet I can't deny their effective control over every decision made at Cryptic.

If I were one of them I'd use my incredible powers to get the Wesley bundle made instead of trying to give the sads to over-grown toddlers. But the ways of shadowy conspiracies are beyond my ken.
    <3
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    As someone who works full time, I get a much better, quicker, more reliable yield of both dilithium and fleet marks from the Commendation Reports and DOFF assignments than from the Foundry--and if they ever get the Gateway working for setting DOFF assignments, that's going to become even more true, because you'll have a lot of people with full-time jobs able to drop in and swap DOFF assignments on their smart phones without having to risk using the company computers.

Once you've maxed out your DOFFs, the effort/time spent for the yield of fleet marks is the most favorable in the game. Espionage is the easiest given the high yield of CXP from the "Infiltrate the Orion Syndicate" mission. For me, the next most frequent to hit 110,000 are Military and Engineering, mainly because of the high dilithium yield missions in this category that I run (stuff like EV combat training), and the "Experimental [Console]" type missions that yield you equipment you can put on the exchange or vendor off. If you work the DOFF system with the intention of maximizing your yield on CXP, that is the most time-efficient method of gaining Fleet Marks in the game since for the most part, your DOFFs will handle the hard work for you.

As far as eliminating everyone from under Level 50 from contributing--obviously you'll get the highest contributions from a fully-leveled toon. But considering how quickly one can level in this game, I'm not sure that's as big of an obstacle as it sounds like.

Another thing: if you have the character slots to dedicate one Klink to just DOFFing, and focus your efforts on the Marauding category, you can farm commodities and contraband in a huge way, which you can then shuttle over to the toons who need it for their fleets. These are things that have worked well for me, and that I think if these changes are implemented, will become the most efficient strategies for fleet marks.

You only say that because you seem like a well adjusted adult.
    <3
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I do agree with you that DOFF is very powerful for Dil. I feel no real Dil pressure whatsoever and haven't for some time now that I've got a solid core of purple and blue DOFFs to work with. As long as you can pop on for 5 minutes a couple times a day during times you otherwise wouldn't play, to keep your DOFF assignments full and remember to look for the gold ones that offer a better payout, there's a lot of pretty much free Dil just floating there.

It's great because it frees you up to do other things and actually play what you want, not what you "have to" in order to feel like you're making progress.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
    edited February 2013
    Um, "we" didn't ask for this. This was planned from long ago. Seriously.... Look up Zeronius's posts. they have been planning to axe the foundry wrapper.... honestly probably since before they even created it. so.... don't go blaming the people who spend hours writing missions for this change.

Too bad so many people spend hours writing just god awful missions though. I mean there are some legitimately very good foundry files out there but its only a small percentage. If it werent for the grinders/farmers the foundry would be rarely used. The IORs (mainly), STOked before Chris went nuts and took it offline and the Spotlight is the foundry's saving grace. Now Cryptic is probably about to muff that all to hell and back.
    edited February 2013
    I do agree with you that DOFF is very powerful for Dil. I feel no real Dil pressure whatsoever and haven't for some time now that I've got a solid core of purple and blue DOFFs to work with. As long as you can pop on for 5 minutes a couple times a day during times you otherwise wouldn't play, to keep your DOFF assignments full and remember to look for the gold ones that offer a better payout, there's a lot of pretty much free Dil just floating there.

Exactly. But I think it can also be powerful for fleet marks if you immediately turn in a commendation report any time a category hits 110000 CXP.

Just one note...not all of the gold ones net 50 dil, so you do have to make sure to check which ones you want before doing them. "Research Phase Discriminators" is one that comes to mind for not having a 50-dil payout but being gold.
    It's great because it frees you up to do other things and actually play what you want, not what you "have to" in order to feel like you're making progress.

Exactly. With my DOFFs running stuff in the background, I can play in the Foundry or anywhere else I feel like messing around in STO.

• lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zalandex wrote: »
    I don't know what to rage about... it is the same thing with the console clickies - if a game mechanic can be used as an exploit it will be taken away.

It was a bad design decision in the first place and every one with a bit of common sense could have seen it coming that it would be taken out sooner or later.

Don't blame the foundry authors because they want to use the foundry to tell stories. that is how it is meant to be used.

This whole problem has been getting worse since the clickies went away. As I have said clickies were a victimless crime you could only do them daily for 1440 dil and you had time to play the other missions if you wanted. Now the exploits take longer. Foundry authors have asked for a better menu to search for missions. Instead cryptic keeps nerfing the rewards and the result is nobody is happy.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This whole problem has been getting worse since the clickies went away. As I have said clickies were a victimless crime you could only do them daily for 1440 dil and you had time to play the other missions if you wanted. Now the exploits take longer. Foundry authors have asked for a better menu to search for missions. Instead cryptic keeps nerfing the rewards and the result is nobody is happy.

Rationality has little to do with maintaining purity.
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes indeed. This was the only reason I did the foundry, and actually gave me a reason to log in every day. I'm very upset you would even think about taking it out, let alone doing it. :(
  • valkarie14valkarie14 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Whats this fleet mark situation? I not heard about it
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    izdubar2 wrote: »
    Rationality has little to do with maintaining purity.

Me no understand your response. Can u explain?
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    valkarie14 wrote: »
    Whats this fleet mark situation? I not heard about it

A new patch hit tribble earlier today that has an updated set of rewards for the foundry missions, and one of the changes is that they are removing fleet marks from the foundry mission that we currently can do.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
    What about the Fleet Marks that were granted from the Foundry Daily? Are those gone as well?
    Correct; they are no longer offered with these Foundry reward changes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

They are messing with this AGAIN?!? Seriously?
    After S7 completely messed with the rewards for foundry there was an uproar by the community. So they compromised (between that time I no longer purchased any Cpoints *coughs* ZEN with real $). Then, when things seemed fair after months, and I felt that it was a decent compromise and my small fleet could once again have a slight chance to make progress; I went ahead and made another purchase of zen.

Now this... again...

Sorry for whining about it. But they don't learn; however I do. F(erengi)-me once, shame on you... F(erengi)-me twice, then I F(erengi) you.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
This discussion has been closed.