test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you like to see the Klingon empire at peace with the Federation?

Comments

• Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    The reason is that by getting rid of that on going war but keeping the rivalry and the drive to expand and compete for territory while allowing factions to do content together it creates more opportunity to develop original story arcs. It also means Cryptrick cannot say KDF is only x% minority group while Federation is the 70% majority so we will only develop 1 side. It will force them to develop the whole 100%.if you see my meaning.

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

(Swings Kahless Shard bat'leth, cutting bloctoad off at the knees,)

I am never on my knees, son. Don't confuse the fantasy of role playing a Klingon with the reality that we are playing a game and dealing with PWE and Cryptic business people with their own agenda. My idea just might help fix all the KDF neglect everyone been whining about.

(Then delivers the coup de grace with a boot to the head)

Have fun on you knees. Qapla'!

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    He's not really on his knees if you cut them off.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    He's not really on his knees if you cut them off.

He cut off the other guy's legs below the knees. So the knees are still there, they just double as feet now.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry I misunderstood what he said.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Peace with the Federation. This old question again?

First, the war has not been fought. Few here even know what a war between galactic hegemonys means. War means diplomacy continued by other means. To win a war each side has to invade space, a vast area without real barriers, destroy their enemies resources and will to wage war, kill their ability to resist, and occupy and HOLD whole planets and control the populace, forcing them to assimilate to new ideologies from alien species.

This game is not set up for this. There is no means to destroy infrastructure, take access to dilithium, the petroleum of Star Trek, from the enemy, take and hold planets, permanently kill players and their ships, wipe out populations.

Peace or war with the Fed is pure story and hyperbole. All I know is when I am playing my KDF toons I want to be able to team with friend playing either side.

Opening up play would take away Cryptics argument of KDF player population being a minority and may increase pressure on them to generate more real content.

The view of the KDF is too bound up with being the "bad guys". Klingons are a race. They did not become a star faring race by being a bunch of idiots. They farm, research, build houses, have cultural events, and live by laws and the best code of honor in the game. The best warrior mentality in the game. War is not meant to last forever. It lasts until one side or the other achieves their objective or both sides find no more reason to fight. After that sides return to regular daily life.

Most of your post is spot on... until you talk of the need for conflict resolution and your preference for playing with feddies. You can always unlock the feddie klingon slot and live long and prosper while the KDF battles on.

To me, all this talk of story is what makes STO feel flat. We should be playing a GAME of conflict, diplomacy, exploration and politics... not stuck in some interactive e-book or wannabe-TV show.

Since we have no real economy or true military objectives to concern ourselves with, rl reasons are moot here. Same could be said for peace. We have no GDP or public opinion polls to worry about.

As for regular daily life, a warrior of the KDF is expected to fight or be getting ready to do so. Peace is just that nasty and ugly little break between wars.

P.S.

Canon and lore present the KDF as the UFP's main adversary. Gene Roddenberry always intended the KDF to be the "bad guys" so we are not self-appointing that.

Also, appreciate what you wrote about farming, researching, building, etc. Most people fail to consider the Klingons as a culture. Am a Science officer who thinks of nothing beyond doing my part to defend the Empire. Be that it in the laboratory or in combat.

Funny how the feddies honor their "warriors" but derogates ours. At times, double standards and smugness seem to be hallmarks of the UFP as much as honor and the way of the warrior are for the KDF.

P.S.S.

Can't see crpytic getting us to 100% content-wise as the feddies. Starting off at lvl 1 might be good for new blood but the real wannabe Klingons will suck it up, xp and join us. Endgame is there before you know it and not everyone has a case of altitis.

As a PVPer, just want to see more and true conflict representative ingame. I do not wish to dissuade you from having fun playing with your feddie buddies. Me, I would much rather kill them.

Oh, well. Cryptic will do what it wants irregardless what any of us thinks... unless it is a feddie posting so peace is more than likely coming due to that.

If peace does happen, there is no point for me to even be here and am sure others feel the same way. My bridges are ready to be burned is all I truly know.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To me, all this talk of story is what makes STO feel flat. We should be playing a GAME of conflict, diplomacy, exploration and politics... not stuck in some interactive e-book or wannabe-TV show.

I'm going to take this quote to add it to my sig for now. Because we completely agree on this point. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I'm going to take this quote to add it to my sig for now. Because we completely agree on this point. :D

Glad we can agree on what counts! My words are yours.

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Most of your post is spot on... until you talk of the need for conflict resolution and your preference for playing with feddies. You can always unlock the feddie klingon slot and live long and prosper while the KDF battles on.

Since we have no real economy or true military objectives to concern ourselves with, rl reasons are moot here. Same could be said for peace. We have no GDP or public opinion polls to worry about.

As for regular daily life, a warrior of the KDF is expected to fight or be getting ready to do so. Peace is just that nasty and ugly little break between wars.

P.S.

Canon and lore present the KDF as the UFP's main adversary. Gene Roddenberry always intended the KDF to be the "bad guys" so we are not self-appointing that.

Also, appreciate what you wrote about farming, researching, building, etc. Most people fail to consider the Klingons as a culture. Am a Science officer who thinks of nothing beyond doing my part to defend the Empire. Be that it in the laboratory or in combat.

Funny how the feddies honor their "warriors" but derogates ours. At times, double standards and smugness seem to be hallmarks of the UFP as much as honor and the way of the warrior are for the KDF.

P.S.S.

Can't see crpytic getting us to 100% content-wise as the feddies. Starting off at lvl 1 might be good for new blood but the real wannabe Klingons will suck it up, xp and join us. Endgame is there before you know it and not everyone has a case of altitis.

As a PVPer, just want to see more and true conflict representative ingame. I do not wish to dissuade you from having fun playing with your feddie buddies. Me, I would much rather kill them.

Oh, well. Cryptic will do what it wants irregardless what any of us thinks... unless it is a feddie posting so peace is more than likely coming due to that.

If peace does happen, there is no point for me to even be here and am sure others feel the same way. My bridges are ready to be burned is all I truly know.

Well, I don't know what to tell you about your views. As back and forth with diametrically opposed views in the forums is completely useless, thank you for your opinion and best of luck with that.

This isn't about sides. No matter what faction you play it is really about they players.

Gene Roddenberry did a poor job developing the Klingons and the KDF. In TOS they were basically a bunch of space pirates in tights as a foil to a bunch of space navy heros. They were dishonorable space thugs and goons that no reasonable person could possibly take seriously. The Klingons did not gain any credibility until a couple of the old TOS crew movies and TNG. if you think that my assessment of Klingons needing a society from which to grow and develop into a star faring race is wrong you are absolutely unequivocally incorrect.

I play KDF because I identify with their warrior code and their sense of honor. My fleet is tier 4 and well into tier 5 and is a great group which a prefer. But your obsession with making this a faction based hatred and polorization does nothing of value.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, I don't know what to tell you about your views. As back and forth with diametrically opposed views in the forums is completely useless, thank you for your opinion and best of luck with that.

This isn't about sides. No matter what faction you play it is really about they players.

Gene Roddenberry did a poor job developing the Klingons and the KDF. In TOS they were basically a bunch of space pirates in tights as a foil to a bunch of space navy heros. They were dishonorable space thugs and goons that no reasonable person could possibly take seriously. The Klingons did not gain any credibility until a couple of the old TOS crew movies and TNG. if you think that my assessment of Klingons needing a society from which to grow and develop into a star faring race is wrong you are absolutely unequivocally incorrect.

I play KDF because I identify with their warrior code and their sense of honor. My fleet is tier 4 and well into tier 5 and is a great group which a prefer. But your obsession with making this a faction based hatred and polorization does nothing of value.

You said your point many times over... now you have the audacity to say that the creator of Star Trek didn't do his job well enough. Hehe. K. Have fun with that.

TOS, with it's KDF vs UFP, was social critique on the Cold War. You know what the Cold War was, right? NATO vs Warsaw Pact? USA vs USSR/ China?

Wiki says about Kingons:

"As originally developed by screenwriter Gene L. Coon, Klingons were darkly colored humanoids with little honor, intended as an allegory to the Cold War tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union, though Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry did not aspire to any political parallels."

The KDF was Starfleet's main adversary in TOS and, as such, they been making appearances quite consistently throughout the life-span of the franchise.

Heroes versus thugs? You work in politics? Maybe you should crack a history book while re-examining the roots of Star Trek. Also, you just contradicted your earlier post about their farming, building, researching, etc... but that was all done after they did a hard day's pirating, first. Yeah.

I more than agreed that Klingons come from a culture which has it's own merits as warriors and as a race which was spacefaring long before humans. I never considered them to be less-than intelligent or brainless makers of violence. Quite the contrary and I base my opinion from what I saw of them in TOS.

Well, good on you for having an almost Tier 5 fleet starbase but that has nothing to do with lore and the reasons of why we fight as KDF.

Hatred? Am sticking to lore and RP for my PVP, you have fun with PVE and your feddie buddies.

No point in discussing things further.

• Options
    jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Know Undine, no peace.
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You said your blah blah blah.

Develope some reading and analytical skills and use logical argument instead of making everything a personal attack.

• Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    (Swings Kahless Shard bat'leth, cutting bloctoad off at the knees,)

I am never on my knees, son. Don't confuse the fantasy of role playing a Klingon with the reality that we are playing a game and dealing with PWE and Cryptic business people with their own agenda. My idea just might help fix all the KDF neglect everyone been whining about.

(Then delivers the coup de grace with a boot to the head)

Have fun on you knees. Qapla'!

Your idea eliminates faction distinction rather than solves the problem, chief. What we need is a unique resolution to the story arc not the routine copy and paste job.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd rather the Federation/Klingon war just became a cold war, it would fit the game better any way.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    I'd rather the Federation/Klingon war just became a cold war, it would fit the game better any way.

I agree, they had a war then went to a cold war in TOS, then they became allies. Now they go to war again, think its time for it to get chilly again.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »

That's basically what I suggested. Keep all the rivalry and competition for territory, resources etc. writers can then develop more varied story's.

• Options
    marok2marok2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I say "No peace in our time, once more unto the breach!"
    Marok sutai toQgul-Kurkura
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Develope some reading and analytical skills and use logical argument instead of making everything a personal attack.

Personal attack?

I been shooting from the hip in here and am being pretty straight forward.

Debasing the words I have written in this discussion as to one slinging less-than subtly veiled insults is not proving your point nor does it detract from my standing by what I have said already.

Quote where I have done so. Actually, it serves no point and does nothing to add to the topic at hand so do not bother. I agree to disagree and any further banter is just that.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    I agree, they had a war then went to a cold war in TOS, then they became allies. Now they go to war again, think its time for it to get chilly again.

First, let's have a war and then you can fully have my aggreeance.

Playing 5v5 grab-TRIBBLE in the queues was not much of a war, tbh.

• Options
    scytekscytek Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We need breathing room.

Now, on to the war!
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    scytek wrote: »
    We need breathing room.

Earth, Hitler, 1938......hehe now I want to watch UDC
  • Options
    scytekscytek Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And that's my suggestion for the big May update.

the Klingon Empire evades the Romulan space and we conquer all remaining stations and planets. The piteous rest of the Romulans will be integrated in the Klingon Empire!

The way it has to be, the way it should be!
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2013

the Klingon Empire evades the Romulan space and we conquer all remaining stations and planets. The piteous rest of the Romulans will be integrated in the Klingon Empire!

Thats gotta be a few seasons down the road as the May update will pad the KDF content and pull some fed players to the KDF side, then later as a playable Rom faction becomes reality it should pull even more fed players from that side THEN a spark will ignite the galaxy into a full scale 3 faction war.

Won't that be GLORIOUS !
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2013

How do you conquer space that you try to evade?:confused:
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Earth, Hitler, 1938......hehe now I want to watch UDC

Just keep in mind that the person who wrote this line did horrible research.
    Translating "Unser Volk braucht Raum", which means "Our people need living space", with "We need breathing room" is...remotely the same given only the word "need" is translated correctly.
  • Options
    deano65ehgdeano65ehg Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why carnt we just invade now 8)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I like the cold war idea.

I say we re-establish a neutral zone, have a new sector full of war zones like Kerr'at and have everyone fall in for a nice big fight.

Sure nothing will get resolved, but we'll all get to shoot many Feddies. And let's be honest here, that is all that matters.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It would be nice as there is no territorial gain to renew the accords.There are Federation Klingons and vise versa in the Empire.Who say the Federation is infested with undine.

what the Feds and klinks need is new type of enemy to go after.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    would be nice to see a stf like storyline, that starts with terrodome and ends at the academy where you kill some high ranking starfleet admirals that are undine. you present them to the klingon high council and they are forced to reinstate the alliance.

on klingon side, you lead a commando (with worf) to earth and kill the undine...then worf negotiates a peace.

2 factions: KDF and starfleet that offer new gear

pretty sure a similar plan is on the scetching board at cryptics office...if not they should hire me to write the story for them:D
    maybe i'll do it anyway on the foundry and put a copyright on it...
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    It would be nice as there is no territorial gain to renew the accords.There are Federation Klingons and vise versa in the Empire.Who say the Federation is infested with undine.

what the Feds and klinks need is new type of enemy to go after.

The Fed. FEs say that the Federation is infested with Undine and sadly they don't do much about it.
    However, the war has become more than simple Undine infiltration, at least storywise since we don't see much of it in game. For this I'll refer a previous post of mine:
    shpoks wrote: »
    4.And finally, the war is not about the Undine any more. It is still a big part, but has grown into something much bigger than that. The KDF & Fed. fleets clashed when KDF was trying to invade Romulan space. Martok and Worf were even blamed of having no honor and being Fed. puppets that lead the Klingon warriors to slaughter on purpose. This was the base for J'mpok's oportunity to claim the trone.
    Klingons also announced that they're taking back their old territories form the Federation.
    If I remember correctly, in DS9 Gowron told Sisko that even he as Chancellor can't end the war without the Klingons having a victory. So, unless some of those blue or green squares on the map turn red, I really don't see a logical explanation for peace. Not even the Iconians since even today KDF & Fed. are fighting the Borg togehter, but we're at "war".
    HQroeLu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.