test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you like to see the Klingon empire at peace with the Federation?

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is no war because like they did the KDF the Devs ignored thier own backstory containing the why of the war to pander to the feds almost exclusively and now they have dug a hole for themselves storywise that they have basicaly sold out the KDF to satisfy fed ideas of peace without giving any reason or any acknowledgment of how the fedeeation has a big part in the war even existing.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A full peace treaty might be too much, but I could see a strained cease-fire happening. The two sides would create a military alliance against the Iconian threat, pushing out the Borg and the Undine in the meantime.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,295 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why not have it be like they aren't at war but there's groups of feds like the maquis and klinks have their own "rebels" that way both sides might be happy. In fact that could explain Fed vs Fed pvp and KDF vs KDF pvp.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited February 2013
    Why not incorporate a storyline that takes the fed player from untrusting & unknowing novice to endgame where he/she has learned the truth about the Undine plot and decides as the hero individual to work with the KDF?

Read the Path to 2409. You will see between the lines that the federatoon is acting from puppet string arrogance and the KDF is acting from thier own arrogance as well.
    Unfortunately the game gives none of this to the player in the missions one plays, at all.

We need that rise from low to high instead of an imppossed peace just becuase the playerbase sees no need for a war at endgame where a story that reveals the subversion the factions have suffered is shown to them.

R.I.P
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if there is a peace the only change i can see is FEDs and KDF able to walk about ESD or the First city without getting shot....no FEDs flying KDF ships.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    if there is a peace the only change i can see is FEDs and KDF able to walk about ESD or the First city without getting shot....no FEDs flying KDF ships.

I'm not certain why, but I get the feeling that if this ever happens it will be the beginning of the end of STO, and I don't want to see that happen.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The first time the Khitomer Accords were broken was when a massive Klingon fleet attacked DS9. The Empire and Federation went to war over a difference of opinions on how to handle the Cardassians. Ironically, it was because they believed that the Changelings had infiltrated the Cardassian government when it was actually the KDF military that got infiltrated. How embarrassing that must have been. The Klingon-Federation War only ended with the coming of the Dominion. Now it seems that history is repeating itself. Shape shifters have infiltrated governments and has brought two powerful forces against each other. This war will end. It will end either by setting aside our differences once again to combat a mutual enemy, or allow that enemy to conquer each of us after we have weakened each other.

The choice is yours.

Will you stand by my side and join our blades against the Demons of Air and Darkness!!!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

No, peace will just be an acknowledgment for a copy-pasta job for the KDF. The faction will get Fed stuff but with red paint on the walls. Peace just means there will not be any KDF distinct content ever.

And anyway, most of the time, it's the Fed hardcore fanbase who is asking for peace. I just wish the KDF faction could tell them: no, leave us alone. If there's an official ceasefire or peace agreement it just means that the KDF is only a Fed subfaction for the devs.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    No, peace will just be an acknowledgment for a copy-pasta job for the KDF. The faction will get Fed stuff but with red paint on the walls. Peace just means there will not be any KDF distinct content ever.

And anyway, most of the time, it's the Fed hardcore fanbase who is asking for peace. I just wish the KDF faction could tell them: no, leave us alone. If there's an official ceasefire or peace agreement it just means that the KDF is only a Fed subfaction for the devs.

^THIS!^
    With these couple of sentences you pretty much nailed it. I agree 100%.

The Fed. "hardcore" fanbase that you speak of wants this only because they want to fly BoP or other KDF beasts as a Fed. At this moment I will refer to my own previous post:
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'm not certain why, but I get the feeling that if this ever happens it will be the beginning of the end of STO, and I don't want to see that happen.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's been my experience from watching Next Gen and deep space 9, that even in times of peace, there were plenty of "misunderstandings" between the two factions that lead to the occasional conflict, (enough to entertain).
    The peace was always tenuous at best.

There would always be rouge factions in both the KDF and Federation stirring up trouble to keep things interesting.

But when they have to, both factions band together, reluctantly.

I see no reason why this game couldn't be the same, at least open up more shared content to help level up Kdf characters, whilest still adding exclusive KDF content at the same time.

Even if there were peace, the KDF still would need to maintain their sovereignty and uniqueness, as they did in canonically.

Klingons, would never except anything less.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited February 2013
    I wouldnt call them "rouge" elements considering the klingons are a completely different race and culture from humans. They do not see all things equally and have much differing definations of what is right and wrong.
    Which is what it should be for two such differing cultures.

R.I.P
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They can sign all the peace treaties they wish. If they don't have my KDF characters' signatures, they're all just targets of (naive) opportunity to me.

edit: Come to think of it, my Andorian Fed "main" wouldn't really buy into it more than required by regulations, either. :p
    dgbgfnkqi05e.png
  • janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There would always be rouge factions in both the KDF and Federation stirring up trouble to keep things interesting.
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I wouldnt call them "rouge" elements considering the klingons are a completely different race and culture from humans.

Since "rouge" is French for red, I'd call the entire Klingon faction a rouge element. :P However, if we're talking about rogue elements, then I agree there is the potential for a distinct Klingon faction with or without the war.

That being said, I agree with what one of the first responders said. There hasn't been a real WAR yet - why bring peace into the picture? I'm not a big PVPer, but if some of the balance issues were fixed, I'd like to see the war expanded to encompass true "war zones" (read: whole sectors, with territory changing hands).

Of course, the combat would need to be instanced, since Feds outnumber us several bazillion to one. Still, I'm sure that the right mechanics could be found to flesh out the war, which would give a whole new feel to the STO universe. We're not all pot-smoking, peace-loving Federation hippies, we're the damn KDF. The game should reflect that fact more than it currently does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't want to see peace between the feds and KDF. I know the devs want it because it will mean they don't have to make 2 sets of everything. This game is by design a very one-sided game but they did try to make it a 2 sided game for a while. IF they gave up and removed the conflict between the feds and KDF I don't see a reason to play anymore.

I just don't know why some would ask if it is a good idea. Why do baseball games have 2 teams playing each other when each team has 27 players, one team can play both sides as it only takes 9 each side.

Kinda pointless to play, right ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I wouldnt call them "rouge" elements considering the klingons are a completely different race and culture from humans. They do not see all things equally and have much differing definations of what is right and wrong.
    Which is what it should be for two such differing cultures.

I'm sorry, I wasn't being clear enough, I wasn't necessarily referring to "Klingons" as a race, being the rouge element I mentioned per se.

What I was trying to say, was even if there were a "cease fire" there would still be some level of hostilities between the two factions, because THERE ALWAYS HAS BEEN. They are as you point out, too different, too mistrusting of one another.

In Next Gen with the treaty in affect, in that episode that Riker was on an officer exchange with the Klingon officer, things very nearly lead to hostilities over mistrust, regardless of any treaty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Matter_of_Honor

On Deep Space nine, at the start of the dominion war, again more hostilities, ( I'm referring to the episode where the Klingons attacked deep space nine, because the Federation wouldn't believe the Klingons that the founders had infiltrated Cardassia,)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_the_Warrior

My point is, cease fire or no, one should never expect a complete cessation of hostilities, even if they may fight along side one another against a common foe.

The relationship even as it was represented in the series, was precarious at best.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited February 2013
    We fight or we die. No more options. They want peace? They can surrender! The feds just don't realise how much the galaxy hates them and how many problems THEY cause. Federation needs renamed to the Terran Empire or even Borg Collective to really account for their actions.

It's ironic how the Federation and Borg could be considered interchangeable.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Depending on which mission you're replaying - there's already peace. To an extent, it's no different with the Cardassians or Romulans. If you're doing X, you're at peace with them. If you're doing Y, you're at war with them.

It's kind of a moot discussion because of the nature of the game.

That being said, even at times of peace - you didn't find the friendly sides flying their friends ships.

There's a vast difference between there being peace between the KDF and Federation...and the KDF joining the Federation.
    edited February 2013
    Depending on which mission you're replaying - there's already peace. To an extent, it's no different with the Cardassians or Romulans. If you're doing X, you're at peace with them. If you're doing Y, you're at war with them.
    [snap]
    There's a vast difference between there being peace between the KDF and Federation...and the KDF joining the Federation.

There is certainly a difference between peace beween the KDF & Fed, and KDF joining the Fed.
    At this point, one wonders why do players insist on peace? Is it that most of them are Feds. and have that peacekeeping attitude under their skin? Because if peace and joining the Fed. are different things, then what would a player od STO gain if there is peace declared between the factions? What will be the benefit of that?
    The only one beneffiting from that kind of development would be the devs., because they could make shared content for both without any excuses. It would save them time & work, but I don't believe they should loosen up that much, for the sake of STO.

So, what's the point in declaring peace really?
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited February 2013
    vitzh wrote: »
    We fight or we die. No more options. They want peace? They can surrender! The feds just don't realise how much the galaxy hates them and how many problems THEY cause. Federation needs renamed to the Terran Empire or even Borg Collective to really account for their actions.

It's ironic how the Federation and Borg could be considered interchangeable.

You do know that the galaxy hates klingons more right?
    edited February 2013
    There is certainly a difference between peace beween the KDF & Fed, and KDF joining the Fed.
    At this point, one wonders why do players insist on peace? Is it that most of them are Feds. and have that peacekeeping attitude under their skin? Because if peace and joining the Fed. are different things, then what would a player od STO gain if there is peace declared between the factions? What will be the benefit of that?
    The only one beneffiting from that kind of development would be the devs., because they could make shared content for both without any excuses. It would save them time & work, but I don't believe they should loosen up that much, for the sake of STO.

So, what's the point in declaring peace really?

But that's the thing.

Point A - there's not peace. It allows for distinct content, but it shouldn't preclude shared content.
    Point B - there's peace. It allows for shared content, but it shouldn't preclude distinct content.

At Point A, it's possible that the KDF and Feds could be doing "faction" related content regarding to the overall story. It's also possible that they could be undertaking the same mission.

At Point B, it's possible that the KDF and Feds could be undertaking the same content regarding the overall story. It's also possible that they could be undertaking "faction" related content.

Even if there is peace between the KDF and Feds, that should not exclude there being distinct content for each faction. The only reason even to consider such a thing would be if the KDF joined Starfleet. I mean, the Klingon Empire were completely absorbed into the United Federation of Planets.

Even with "peace" - it would be along the lines of...say vs. the Borg:

Fed only mission against the Borg.
    KDF only mission against the Borg.
    Fed and KDF shared mission against the Borg.

But that's not what it's like nor what it would likely be like. It's more like this:

Fed mission against the Borg.
    Fed mission against the Borg that the KDF can also run.
    Fed mission against the Borg where the KDF can tag along with the Feds.

That's the real issue, imho...not whether there's peace or not. It's the way peace has been handled (since there's already periods of peace) and how additional peace would likely be handled (based on how it's been handled so far).

Consider the May Update - let's say it's story and not faction (personally, I think it's story). It's likely to continue the Feds and KDF working together as we've seen with the Borg, Tholians, Romulans...but what's it going to be like?

This?

Fed only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
    KDF only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
    Fed and KDF shared mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.

Or this?

Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
    Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans that the KDF can also run.
    Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans where the KDF can tag along with the Feds.

There's a big difference between those two, no? That difference has nothing to do with whether there's peace or not.
  • zev92zev92 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why would there be peace between the feds and kdf. Its always been close to war even with the treaties. The Klingon empire was born out defeating and enemy trying enslave it so do expect klingons to surrender; its the feds that should. They are true enemy in the game like the borg.
    edited February 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    You do know that the galaxy hates klingons more right?

I'd argue against that point. The number of civilizations the Federation has left to fester, rot, and die. The number of civilizations that they've dangled carrots in front of, offering them only if they make changes the Federation wants. The annihilation of individual cultures as they're infected by Federation presence. There's a reason that the Federation has so many enemies and why so many of those enemies tend to align themselves against the Federation.
    edited February 2013
    zev92 wrote: »
    Why would there be peace between the feds and kdf. Its always been close to war even with the treaties. The Klingon empire was born out defeating and enemy trying enslave it so do expect klingons to surrender; its the feds that should. They are true enemy in the game like the borg.

We are Starfleet.
    Lower your shields and let's talk.
    We will add our biological and technological distinctiveness to your own.
    Your culture will no longer exist.
    You will join the Federation.
    Resistance is futile.
    edited February 2013
    Don't you guys see this is the kind of argument that the undine want? At this rate they'll have no resistance when they invade and its cuz of us fighting each other.
    edited February 2013

Consider the May Update - let's say it's story and not faction (personally, I think it's story). It's likely to continue the Feds and KDF working together as we've seen with the Borg, Tholians, Romulans...but what's it going to be like?

This?

Fed only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
    KDF only mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
    Fed and KDF shared mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.

Or this?

Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans.
    Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans that the KDF can also run.
    Fed mission against the Tal Shiar/Iconians/Romulans where the KDF can tag along with the Feds.

There's a big difference between those two, no? That difference has nothing to do with whether there's peace or not.

You make a valid argument. ;)
    However, taking into consideration that even at war, the development of the game leaned towards your second quoted option there, it wouldn't give much hope to any KDF players about the level of development of the KDF they deserve if there was peace.
    Im afraid that the "we can't" or "we don't have enough resources" would be instantly swapped with "we shouldn't" regarding KDF development. Which would be a pitty in a game with so much potential.

And on another note, even if having peace doesn't change that much in terms of the direction for further game development, maybe it's just me, but I don't see a proper MMO working with only one faction. Especially not a Star Trek one, because ST has so much potential and all of it would be wasted by this.
    And PvP by having battle drills with the Feds.? You go into PvP and the general says, "Warriors, set your bathlets to stun, we'll be having drills" :D just doesn't sound right to me, nor very fun & amusing compared to an actual all out war PvP situation.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »

Oh you mean with the many many content unique content the KDF has now with the WAR. We are at ar, and there is already copy and paste content.

Cryptic can still make KDF content that is only KDF with peace.....there is the Feklar, and anything they can do...why would there be no KDF content if there was peace... The galaxy is big, and with peace the Klingon can go fight other things in the galaxy besides the Federation, perhaps go to the Delta Quadrant and expand over their before The Romulans do.

The whole Federation Vs. Klingon has been done to death in Star Trek already That's why Gen Roddenberry decided for peace in TNG.

I'll jump on my 15 KDF characters and tell Cryptic I want peace. ..it's dishonorable to continue a war with The Federation who the Klingons have fought with side by side, they are allies and have earned the right to stay that way.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited February 2013
    And on another note, even if having peace doesn't change that much in terms of the direction for further game development, maybe it's just me, but I don't see a proper MMO working with only one faction. Especially not a Star Trek one, because ST has so much potential and all of it would be wasted by this.
    And PvP by having battle drills with the Feds.? You go into PvP and the general says, "Warriors, set your bathlets to stun, we'll be having drills" :D just doesn't sound right to me, nor very fun & amusing compared to an actual all out war PvP situation.

No doubt, no doubt at all. Though, to be honest, I'm not big on two faction or three faction games either. I prefer multiple NPCs factions as well as player factions. Heck, let's be honest - even within both Starfleet and the KDF...there are going to be multiple factions at war. Certain groups will want X, why other groups will want Y... they're not all happy campers within their own camps.

Consider the Romulans - there may be Starfleet groups that want to help them - there may be Starfleet groups that do not trust them - there may be KDF groups that see it as an opportunity to strike - there may be KDF groups that see it as an opportunity court an ally against the Federation...and all the other possible groups that may exist both within the KDF and Starfleet in regard to the Romulans.

Conflict. Drama. Action.

Should be happening within the various sides and would be happening between the various sides even in peace.

Personally, I'm fine with overall pretexts of peace against common foes...where that enemy of my enemy's not my friend, but also my enemy. That shouldn't remove all conflict between the sides. And to an extent, that's what we've got. Going for more than that - outright peace? Reducing the faction choice to being a case of choosing a race for your toon...? Where would the conflict, drama, and action come from? Farming NPCs that just sit there and wait for us to kill them?

Makes me think of that episode of King of the Hill where Hank takes Bobby to the hunting farm so he can kill a deer... even Bobby recognizes that it just isn't right.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The enemy of my enemy is my enemies enemy. any other relationship is subject to negociation.

Tactical, fire a photon with out next diplomatic inititive attached..
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • xilradaxilrada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My opinion seems to be in the minority, but I'll put it forth anyways in favor of discussion..

First, I'd like to say that content unique to each faction would be great. but as has been discussed previously and pointed out numerous times, if we've got two distinct factions, one would hop they would have an equivalent amount of content, and this is clearly not the case. Whether this will be fixed later, who knows, but it sounds like they are trying to throw more factions in without fixing the old ones...

But to the topic at hand. Peace? Maybe... By what i've observed in STO thus far, we seem to be a bunch of disgruntled glorified kind of unified pirates with an overblown sense of honor and house entitlement. To this end, it'd be kinda nice if peace was a player choice. No, I don't know any star trek things to throw out examples and make my case that way, so I'll say it from my point of view of a player in a video game.

I'd really like to be able to work with the feds at my leisure. Many of my friends have chosen fed because that was what they started with, and they already have many of their resources and lots of their time dedicated into it (not to mention their complaints about that disgusting red UI *hint*). I, meanwhile, like my klink. I like being a Gorn, and I like my Varanus, which leads to the problem I face everyday when I log into STO to play with my friends. It's a friggen hassle. Yea, I know private actions are there, but we've got to find all the players to fill the action to get anywhere.

Hell, maybe even go help the feds from time to time with whatever they are doing (some of the fed missions seem to put forth that some klingon houses do whatever they want, and I kind of would like to go help my newbie friends, and I don't like the fed side :p).

Additionally, I am to the belief that allowing each player to make a choice and allowing klingon to choose, would be better in the long run. Some of you may proclaim "Oh mah gurd, copy pasta content!" But I view it like this. This could mean a potential for *better* more faction neutral content, with a sprinkling of faction specific upon it. Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to see faction specific, but I'd like better content period.

For those of you who are lazy: TL : DR
    I want to play with my favorite character, with my favorite ship, with my friends. Force PVP on someone else, let me choose who I group with and fight. I wanna shot everbodies. :D
    Ali'kshash in STO. Marauding Gorn Science.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think Jm'pok will be challenged and replaced by Jarod, who will reveal the extent of the Undine infiltration of the Federation, and we will get a mission series (possibly a FE series) where both KDF players and Fed players work with Jarod and the Empire to remove the Undine and free the Federation from their grasp. With their primary war aim then completed, the Klingons would be able to claim an honourable peace with the Federation, and the Federation survives without massive loss of territory, which is basically their war aim. Everybody wins. Then we get to deal with the Undine, Borg, and Iconians.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
This discussion has been closed.