test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Third Faction Proposal

1234568»

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So you prefer a dead thread (or one man show) that reflects your vision of the thread over a normal discussion thread where people state their opinion in disregard of irrelevant thread rules you cannot enforce?
    No, I don't want a thread to discuss my vision. I want a thread that proposes ideas for a third faction (my proposal merely initiated the theme). What I don't want is a thread discussing something that already exists, regardless of the status beholding that faction.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    In other words, you're trolling?

No, and I believe we have been told to report anyone who accuses people of doing that.
    There is no need to tell everyone what they already know.

Except you do not seem to know that it is pointless to discuss a third faction until the KDF is finished, or else you wouldnt be doing so. So the first of my two points is not something everyone seems to know.

And as to my second point, there is no debate about what the 3rd faction will be. We already know it will be the Romulans. If you want a productive discussion regarding a 3rd faction, it first has to involve how you get there, which means finishing the 2nd. After that, it is not what the 3rd faction will be, but how do you want a Romulan faction to work.

Ignoring the KDF problem and pretending we dont already know what the 3rd faction will be doesnt help anyone.
    edited January 2013
    No, and I believe we have been told to report anyone who accuses people of doing that.
    Heh. By all means you go right ahead. We'll see just what the result of that is soon enough, I'm sure.
    Except you do not seem to know that it is pointless to discuss a third faction until the KDF is finished, or else you wouldnt be doing so. So the first of my two points is not something everyone seems to know.
    Pointless discussion has never stopped anyone. People discuss new ships, themes, species etc all the time when they know there is other work to be done first, yet the discussions still take place. Your argument of "we shouldn't discuss a third faction until the second one is complete" is quite a weak one.
    And as to my second point, there is no debate about what the 3rd faction will be. We already know it will be the Romulans. If you want a productive discussion regarding a 3rd faction, it first has to involve how you get there, which means finishing the 2nd. After that, it is not what the 3rd faction will be, but how do you want a Romulan faction to work.
    Tell me, how do you know the third faction will be a Romulan one? You don't. You're speculating, as is everyone else. There is a pretty good chance that the next faction will be a Romulan one, but nobody actually knows for sure. Only the developers are aware of that, and that's assuming they've planned that far ahead.
    Ignoring the KDF problem and pretending we dont already know what the 3rd faction will be doesnt help anyone.
    It doesn't help anyone by bringing it up every other post either.
  • diomedesblrcdiomedesblrc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm more interested in some Cardassian and Romulan variety rather than Klingon.
  • nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    *I have read/skimed the OP and am posting without going thru the many posts before this one.*

The only thing I can come to agree with is the fact we need more factions and I totally disagree that romulans and cardasians be made into one.Imo a 3rd faction should be totally faction neutral the old idea of traders,mercs,smugglers,etc. Ships are easy enough trade vessels maybe some lower tier faction ships and some newly created ships; the shows/showed plenty of ships that could be added to fill the ranks.
    Races easy enough everyone as we all know not everyone is cut out to serve.There are of course other details/loose ends I havent described yet I see no point to do so here.
    It is also my opinion that shortly after the release of the "3rd Faction" that they-Cryptic begin releaseing "Micro-Factions" and that the rommies/cardies be amongst them.Not sure if I am remembering them right howeevr it is of my opinion that these MF's be only a single race Romulan,Cardasian,Denobulan,whatever. With limited ships and story. I would suggest they get there own starting zone in fact as in the romulans you can do two MF's one the Separatists and one the old guard but still made up of only romulans ( well the old guard does have that nasty little deal with the hirogen). However the Separatists are being supported by both the KDF and the Federation.
    People may look at the use of Micro-Faction and think that said faction wont get a fair shake or whatever.Thats to be expected as we have seen it before. I myself have only a few issues about a certain faction that shall remain nameless and it really isnt the amount of story content.Imho they make the perfect template to go by for Micro-Factions as they require just a bit less.While Star Trek has always dealt with these "Other Factions" its focus has always been on the Federation and Starfleet.So yeah devs giving more attention to them is the way to go imho.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Please flash, calm down. I am not trying to criticize and don't want to argue with you. But since your tag said "please read and vote"or "please take my poll" or something-- and since now I have invested a lot of time looking over your diatribe, I guess I am voting no.

You have some good Ideas here. But I think, if you really wanted a hodgepodge faction -- you might as well throw them in with our current KDF hodgepodge. If you had a dream faction that had all the cool ships of every alien -- arguably the coolest spaceships in star trek -- in one place then it would only sever to hinder the KDF more.

I support a viable KDF faction, and would love to play Romulan or Jem Hadar as well. But I think as a new player if I had to choose my one character I would want the one with the coolest ships. I would have less interest in KDF, because first they are underdeveloped, and second (as is the biggest problem for the faction) they already have far fewer ship options than the federation.

I am pretty sure the only people who play KDF are trekers or trekkies who like klingons and people who want to blow up a lot of fed newbies in PvP. Anyone else might as well play fed -- they have the ship selection.

Second, as a purist -- I would just like my cardassians separate (or with breen/dominon) and my Romulans independent (actually I wouldn't mind romulans with the Kdf because they have been aligned before... but I know there is too much opposition to that idea in this game)

Additionally, I don't know why we will have to have a Romulan faction that joins the federation anyway. Couldn't a romulan faction just share some portion of the current federation and klingon missions. That way you could have a third faction with less work on the designers. Hell you could fill out the missing klingon content by giving them access to some of the new Romulan missions as well... I don't know.

peace and love
    edited January 2013
    nalo wrote: »
    Imo a 3rd faction should be totally faction neutral the old idea of traders, mercs, smugglers, etc.
    My main problem with a mercenary faction is that it'll end up being "everything we've got left" and I don't want to see that. They'll end up throwing all remaining content into that. We'll have people playing as Human, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Breen, Son'a, Ferengi, Rigelian, Saurian, Orion (you get the picture). I want to see a proper species-specific faction with unique ships, races and locations.

The reason I suggested a Romulan-Cardassian Alliance (of sorts) is because they are the two remaining factions (or rather, Alpha Quadrant Powers) that are a main feature of Trek, and I don't believe we're ever likely to get a 4th faction. At the moment, we're still waiting for completion of the 2nd, and a 3rd. I feel they've essentially trashed on both the Romulan and Cardassian factions stand-alone (with New Romulus existing, and the Galor, plus a bunch of soon-to-be Dominion ships).
    qultuq wrote: »
    Please flash, calm down. I am not trying to criticize and don't want to argue with you. But since your tag said "please read and vote"or "please take my poll" or something-- and since now I have invested a lot of time looking over your diatribe, I guess I am voting no.
    I'm calm now. Was some time ago that happened. Shame the Poll didn't go up (thanks Moderators) :rolleyes: but I've come to the same conclusion you answered in that few people desire my proposal.
    qultuq wrote: »
    You have some good Ideas here. But I think, if you really wanted a hodgepodge faction -- you might as well throw them in with our current KDF hodgepodge.
    Second, as a purist -- I would just like my cardassians separate (or with breen/dominon) and my Romulans independent (actually I wouldn't mind romulans with the Kdf because they have been aligned before... but I know there is too much opposition to that idea in this game)
    The Romulans could work either way, that's just the thing. Sure, they've worked with the Klingons before, but it was dishonorable Klingons that they worked with (Duras) and it was a questionable force that Sela was in command of (would such a force have been given the go by the Imperial Senate?)

On a whole, I'm inclined to think that the Romulans (as a society) would be better off under the Federation. As for the Cardassians, as mentioned above, with us having the Galor already, and (soon to be) at least two Dominion Ships (as well as the Destroyer that some players already have) AND the Breen Chel Grett, the chances of a Cardassian Faction are pretty much void.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I believe he was talking about when the Klingons and Romulans allied during the TOS era, where they shared technology D-7 for the cloaking device.

I believe the Cardassians would be the fourth race if they were regularly adding new factions. The Galor and the Bug are older ships, if they added the Cardassians, hopefully, those two ships would be the retrofit versions and the Cardies will get the baseline versions.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Shame the Poll didn't go up (thanks Moderators) :rolleyes:

That would be because forum users aren't allowed to create actual polls in the first place. Only the PWE team can do that. I can't even do that, and I'm a Mod. No "New Poll" button anywhere in sight.

Petition threads aren't allowed either.

The only reason this thread is allowed to exist is because it's mainly a discussion. That said, you might want to remove the "vote" part of your sig before somebody decides that it really is a petition thread.

Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • butstonfreembutstonfreem Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think thats the best way to realise a third fraction in this game and it also makes perfect sense lorewise.
    Both the romulans and the cardassians can't stand up to the federation or the Klingon empire alone and there even was a Tal'shiar and Obsidian Order alliance in the past so I think it would be perfect.

I really hope that Cryptik takes up this suggestion.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,882 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Shhhhh! He said not to mention the KDF!

You're absolutely right of course..... :P

But he said not to mention the KDF!!! :eek:

Great idea and I like it...but you are right...before jumping into a third faction they should show some love to KDF...the forgotten step child of Cryptic :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

edited January 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    I believe he was talking about when the Klingons and Romulans allied during the TOS era, where they shared technology D-7 for the cloaking device.
    Ah, that Alliance. I was always under the impression that this wasn't so much an alliance, but more of an 'technology exchange'.
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    I believe the Cardassians would be the fourth race if they were regularly adding new factions. The Galor and the Bug are older ships, if they added the Cardassians, hopefully, those two ships would be the retrofit versions and the Cardies will get the baseline versions.
    Hmm... I suppose that could work. Turn the Galor in for a Tier 4 ship, save the Tier 5 as something new and special. That is, if such a faction were to ever be (I feel unlikely).
    bluegeek wrote: »
    That would be because forum users aren't allowed to create actual polls in the first place. Only the PWE team can do that. I can't even do that, and I'm a Mod. No "New Poll" button anywhere in sight.
    Ah, this I did not know. My apologies though.
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Petition threads aren't allowed either.

The only reason this thread is allowed to exist is because it's mainly a discussion. That said, you might want to remove the "vote" part of your sig before somebody decides that it really is a petition thread.
    Noted, and will do. Thanks!
    I think thats the best way to realise a third fraction in this game and it also makes perfect sense lorewise. Both the romulans and the cardassians can't stand up to the federation or the Klingon empire alone and there even was a Tal'shiar and Obsidian Order alliance in the past so I think it would be perfect.

I really hope that Cryptik takes up this suggestion.
    Thank You! :)
    Great idea and I like it...but you are right...before jumping into a third faction they should show some love to KDF...the forgotten step child of Cryptic :cool:
    :rolleyes: Who let the troll in?
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really like this idea.

STO has a lot going for it but would really benefit from being able to bring in these two important factions and give people a chance to play them. Also bringing an interesting dynamic to the game with the use of a 3rd faction.
This discussion has been closed.