test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Third Faction Proposal

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ok, first and formost, who said anything about a "reset" button. I am not proposing or in any way suggesting you invalidate everything that has come before.

Having the Cardassian Union be a major power in the quadrant doesn't mean forgetting everything that happened before. I means remobilizing their military (yes, I realize they are not suppose to do that, but they wouldn't be the first to break a treaty for their own purpose), Get themselves out from under Federation aid. This is all very doable in the current environment, No "reset" required.

As with the Romulan Star Empire. Again, No reset. Romulus isn't magically not blown up any more. Sela isn't magically not taken by the Iconians. It all happened. But have some senator or whatever consolidate all the warring factions. Centralize the government and Again build up the Military to where you have them as a Major power in the Quadrant.

Moving a Faction to a place where it is actually a faction and makes sense that it is Part of the overall politics in the galaxy is not the same as resetting.
    Just to expound on this... the Romulans DO still have a formidable military, they just lack central leadership.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited December 2012
    My 2 cents instead of a 3rd faction, how about a loose coalition of independents / separatists / mercenaries / freelancers who occasionally work together for their mutual benefit? Species selection could chosen the from any of the STO species in game such as:

renegade Vulcans / Andorians
    Gorn separatists
    Ferengi free traders
    ex-syndicate Orions
    etc....

Then add species specific to this faction.....

Jem'hadar
    Son'a - provide them with ketracel white (my personal favorite ship design :D )
    Obsidian order cardassians
    Tal Shiar operatives
    Remans
    etc...

The list is actually endless since they could draw from any of the star trek series for inspiration.

Think of all the independent worlds that exist that are not part of Starfleet or the Klingon Empire, all those little backwater trade lanes where the black market thrives and the law is what the most cunning can get away with :eek:
    While probably harder to make a story for it would be interesting: ships, weapons, personnel could be more varied as there is no set "Founding Species" guidelines. Just another idea to kick around. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Quantum leap??
    I never actually watched that, well... I did the odd episode, but it was that long ago.
    the Romulans ships are actually more powerful than starfleet ships
    I don't know about this. The Deridex may be stronger than the Galaxy Class, sure, but I'd think the Sovereign stronger than the Mogai. There aren't a whole lot of comparisons though, that's the trouble. The Romulan only have a handful of ship designs (at least, that we've seen) and a lot of the Federation ships are smaller, for specific roles.

Think of the Sabre, Steamrunner, Norway etc; it's a fair bet that those ships are specifically used for times or war and sector defense (you wouldn't send a Sabre Class on an exploration mission, it just isn't built for it).
    I would use the Mogai as the model for the Romulan fleet ship, and they are actually a little smaller than a federation Sovereign, and similar in size to a Vor'cha.
    The Mogai is nearly as long as the Sovereign, though is about x3 the width. See: http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/romulans/Nemesis_comparison.jpg
    The Romulans could right now hold the line against the federation
    Right now, they've got a job standing on their own. I hardly think they're in the position to take on Starfleet full on. ;)
    imagine fifty Warbirds decloaking round ESD
    If 50 Warbirds decloaked around ESD, they'd be blown apart by Earth Defenses. In DS9 the Breen attacked Earth, and I bet that was a fleet of a few hundred. None of those ships returned.
    When did a Warbird and Federation ship ever actually do a toe-to-toe battle?
    Message in a Bottle. Three Warbirds vs an Akira and two Defiants. The Starfleet ships seemed to be holding their own too.
    The Sovereign is designed to stand up to the Borg.
    It was? If your statement is true (source please) then it failed. x1 Sovereign vs x1 Cube. I can tell you now without even thinking about it that the Cube would win hands down. The Defiant was designed to fight the Borg, and look how well that went in First Contact. Failed.
    Also you have to consider how much "uniqueness" is actually useful. Half the z-store ships don't really get used because they're low level and quite frankly useless at higher levels.
    Is that not why they put those ships into fleet versions? So that the designs get some more use?

To be honest, they shouldn't charge for the ships. They should just charge for the console. That's what most of it is about anyway.
    True.. ish... but they probably couldn't have done that. KDF was nearly non-existent, adding a third was unrealistic at that point.
    That's only cause they rushed the release. If they'd planned properly, they could have achieved it. Started with a smaller Federation; they could have always expanded later.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sollvax
    Quantum leap??

I never actually watched that, well... I did the odd episode, but it was that long ago.

lot of very sound science in some of it
    Quote:
    the Romulans ships are actually more powerful than starfleet ships

I don't know about this. The Deridex may be stronger than the Galaxy Class, sure, but I'd think the Sovereign stronger than the Mogai. There aren't a whole lot of comparisons though, that's the trouble. The Romulan only have a handful of ship designs (at least, that we've seen) and a lot of the Federation ships are smaller, for specific roles.
    Id like a romulan faction to have limited ships
    not hundreds
    no uniform variations beyond those in game
    minimal customisation

and ideally ships that can blitz the hell out of ANY existing ship one on one in pvp
    Ie out DPS everyone
    because the Romulans should be a faction you need brains to beat
    Think of the Sabre, Steamrunner, Norway etc; it's a fair bet that those ships are specifically used for times or war and sector defense (you wouldn't send a Sabre Class on an exploration mission, it just isn't built for it).

I wouldn't send ANY of those anywhere
    Cruisers is the way to go
    Quote:
    The Romulans could right now hold the line against the federation

Right now, they've got a job standing on their own. I hardly think they're in the position to take on Starfleet full on.

#after the rebirth of central command and of course the deletion of the Borg
    they could easily do so
    remember starfleets handicaps
    1 depleted resources
    2 ensigns in command of ships
    3 VA's as far as the eye can see
    4 Admiral Quinn
    5 non standard issue ships being pressed into service

Quote:
    imagine fifty Warbirds decloaking round ESD

If 50 Warbirds decloaked around ESD, they'd be blown apart by Earth Defenses. In DS9 the Breen attacked Earth, and I bet that was a fleet of a few hundred. None of those ships returned.

what earth defences?
    also a dozen breen ships are no match for 1 warbird
    and ESD is outside the range of earths defences
    they decloak
    fire
    ESD disappears
    The Quantum bombs rain down
    Earth dies

Remember the Romulans don't want to conquer earth (like the mindless slaves of the borg or the Breen under Dominion orders) they want to zero it
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ussweatherlight
    When did a Warbird and Federation ship ever actually do a toe-to-toe battle?

Message in a Bottle. Three Warbirds vs an Akira and two Defiants. The Starfleet ships seemed to be holding their own too.

only because the defiant is a romulan ship itself
    Live long and Prosper
  • ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/sovereign.html

That's a source for the Sovereign Class being designed to face the Borg.

"Heavily armed, the design philosophy for the Sovereign class was shaped by the discovery of the Borg. The Sovereign Project attempted to push the envelope as far as possible when it came to computer power, shielding, armament and systems capabilities. The Sovereign Class vessel combines the creature comforts associated with the larger Galaxy-class vessels with the tactical power of the new Prometheus Class. Two forward and Two aft rapid fire torpedo launch systems are coupled with twelve type-XII advanced phaser emitters. The type-XII phaser arrays are the most powerful phaser systems to be installed aboard a Federation Starship to date, capable of delivery crippling blows to enemy shields and armor. The only drawback to the Sovereign is its slightly slower warp drive engines, forcing the ship to struggle to keep up with the newer, Intrepid and Galaxy-class starships."

They used the tech manuals, the movies, and the magazine articles to create the page on this ship.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They used the tech manuals, the movies, and the magazine articles to create the page on this ship.

It's still just an RPG page with lots of made-up "specs" that are no less fan-fiction than anything you or I could come up with is.

http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/information.html
    A. Our Sources section lists the majority of the sources that we used in creating these specs, aside from one very important one... our heads. In reality, these specs are just great fiction, and are original works created by the members of our team. Not all of our team has a library of Star Trek books sitting in their room, but even then, only a relatively small amount of information can be squeezed even from the volumes of books and magazines termed "official" by Paramount. Granted, those with these sources on hand are often the ones who bring forth canon examples of particular ships, technologies, and history to the team's attention, it is everyone's artistic writing talent that is the main source that creates our specs.

BTW, there's a litte detail people seem to forget about this whole "designed to face the Borg" stuff...does it say anywhere that it was designed to face them alone?
    Nope, no more that anything like this was stated about the "designed to fight the Borg" Defiant...which was crippled by a single Borg cube even though she was not facing one by herself either.:confused:
    Isn't it more likely that "designed to face" means "it doesn't totally s**k at it"?
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The Defiant all by itself was not designed to take down a Borg cube, it was envisioned that a fleet of Defiants would be the Borg killer. The designer of the Sovereign saw it as a replacement for the Excelsior rather than the Galaxy.

However, the Sovereign can take a beating whilst the Mogai cannot.
    edited December 2012
    Did I say it was designed to face the Borg alone? No, I didn't. I said it was designed to stand up to the Borg, as in take a nice beating and keep on ticking. Just like the Defiant Class. Take a beating, keep on ticking, while still able to dish out the punishment.

It's not a fair assumption to think the Federation could field a ship (in universe, canon-like) that could take on a fully operational Borg capital ship like a Cube. For awhile none of their ships could take more than a couple hits. Then in The Battle of Sector-001, the Enterprise just shrugs off many of the initial blows against it.

Barring the Scimitars surprise attack, and cloaking ability, the Enterprise may have been able to stand toe-to-toe with that one for a bit as well. That last part however is opinion.

What's not opinion is that the Soverereign and Defiant are both of the same generation of ship design where the pre-eminent threat to the Federation is the Borg. What sense does it make to design a new battlecruiser for a secondary threat? Sorry man, but there is no logic in saying the Sovereign was designed to stand against anything but the Borg, primariliy.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
    edited December 2012
    However, the Sovereign can take a beating whilst the Mogai cannot.

Ya, they are large ships (much larger than I thought, actually), but their survivability isn't all that great in comparison.

My conjecture, however, is that the Mogai were replacements for the D'deridex warbirds. Probably a more streamlined, efficient, design.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    also a dozen breen ships are no match for 1 warbird

The Breen at the second battle of Chin'toka say " lol wanna bet? "
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    while it is a good idea.. honestly, the romulans and the cardassians would never unite under one flag... first off, they are split in half by federation space.. secondly, both factions are far to zenophobic to open their doors to eachother.. not to mention, the jemhadar and romulans didnt exactly leave off on good terms..

i dont see the vorta being apart of either faction either..

if cryptic would put the recources to it, i think they could pump out both factions seperatly at once.. to be honest, the engine that drives the game makes it very easy to add factions.. the hardest part would be adding skills and what not and new effects.. however, building a story line shouldnt be hard.. i know the klinks havnt gotten finished, and that would make peeps think its too hard, but its not.. the reason they are not finished is cause cryptics biggest problem is learning how to allocate resources. or allocating the lack there of.. lol...

i really dont care either way, as i would stay fed.. but that is my two cents..
    edited December 2012
    Romulans and Breen?

Actually, I could see the Breen and Romulans uniting, as well as the Tholians. We don't really know much about the Breen and Tholians, honestly, and they could easily be molded into that federation/confederation.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My Third Faction would follow along the lines of the Typhon Pact.. however this one is formed for different reasons.

Romulan
    Reman
    Hirogen
    Flaxian (Zen)
    Alien #1 (Zen)
    Breen (Zen)
    Tholian (Zen)
    Alien

Alien #1 ... Not sure why but I can see these sneaky things working with/for the Romulans... that and they look like they can jump as high as the fed and kdf cats.

Breen.. I want to be a Breen so this is just my "want nowah!" comment

Tholian... meh would be interesting to have the opposite effect when regarding suits.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think Cryptic needs to finish the first faction before they start talking about a third.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They formed an alliance in the books called the Typhon Pact. No, you didn't say anything about the Defiant taking a cube by itself.

From what we saw, I think that the Mogai has a different mission profile than the D'Deridex. The D'Deridex is more like a command station like a battleship, while we say the Mogai in a more fire-support role like a cruiser.

Some one suggested the 2nd Battle of Chin'toka, well that battle was one-sided due to the Breen energy dissipation weapon. The Breen took a heavy hit fighting at the Battle of Cardassia Prime.

I agree Syber, but the OP will just make another thread about his/her idea about the Romulan-Cardassian fusion faction in another new thread.
    edited December 2012
    I agree, I want Alien #1 as well. They'd be interesting. Plus they have a neat ship design.

Ya know, the Romulans, Breen, and Cardassians uniting would border half of the federation. Depending on the location of the Tholians space, and whether or not the Kinshaya were brought into the game, the Federation would be entirely encircled by enemies.

Thats if we look to the books however.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes but keep the factions split and use the best foundry content to fill the missions out. So borg, romulan get their own faction, as do (dominion + cardassian), + (breen and alien)

Each foundry mission has a checkbox for the creator where they have to opt in to making missions for these mini factions. Reward those who help the community with special uniforms and titles, skins etc, make it prestigious!

Alternatively have foundry missions that fit levels 1 - 10, 10 - 30, 30 - 40, 40 - 50. Then it is simply a matter of reviewing them (with the help of the player base). To make sure they offer the right rewads.

PVE Taken care of.

PVP - PVP missions are now
    Your Faction vs (Any full faction).
    Your Faction vs Your Faction.
    Mixed Free for all vs Mixed Free for all (free for all optional to this idea, and the queue is a free option, not one of the three usual limit)

PVP wouldn't suffer longer queues as it'd pick the first ready side and pair you with the first ready side.

Simple and easy.
    edited December 2012
    A federation ship that can beat the borg Solo???

Simple

Take a LARGE freighter hull
    Armour it to the max
    shield it heavily
    Give it a polarised hull
    Stuff the cargo hold with TNT

RAM them

Option two
    Arm ANY standard ship with heavy projectile cannon and solid state Transluminal torpedos

Option three
    Load a basic transport with flesh eating microbes and let them assimilate it

Option four Take any standard ship to warp through the cube (instantly destroys both ships)

Borg are terribly easy to exterminate
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    Well, according to the Destiny books, some of those actually aren't all that effective Sollvax.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
    edited December 2012
    According to the laws of physics they are

remember destiny is not only non canon its not even good fiction

remember the borg are totally unable to defend against pure impact
    even a ram from a shuttle would do more damage than a quantum torpedo

Also microbes are Proven to destroy borg

frankly a ship load of angry rednecks with chainsaws would do it

borg are slow , stupid and vulnerable
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    Hey, we all know that the laws of physics don't apply in ST :P

Mostly because they use non-existant materials in hull construction. For all we know, Borg ships are made of unobtanium that regenerates using nano-probes that use space dust and debris to replicate new patch materials.

Seriously though, it's possible the ship shields could absorb a ram from a ship. you'd have to get under those.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
    edited December 2012
    No its not

Actually ramming ALWAYS passes shields

and unobtainium of course can't be taken to warp as it turns into blue cheese at 3/4 impulse or above

Nano probes do not survive a transluminal impact (nothing does)
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    How can you say nothing does when the properties of fictional materials are whatever the authors decide they are?

U.S.S. Weatherlight
    edited December 2012
    Because I also write (and a LOT better than any of the Destiny series as well)
    And the laws of physics Trump the laws of fiction

Anything made of matter is destroyed by impact at transluminal speed

as E=mc2
    (which actually it probably doesn't C should be V according to some scientists)

And lets face it writers have made up materials for eons
    from the mystical "true silver" to the "vibranium"
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    Well... E=mc^2 is when the subject item isn't moving in relation to the observer (in the same reference frame). The actual equation is a bit different, but with a few assumptions that equation may be ablicable. But you're thinking of KE=1/2 mv^2.

E=mc^2 implies all the mass becomes energy, which is only really true in a m/am reaction.

Lets look at it this way. Warp 1 is 300 000 m/s. The mass of a Defiant class starship is 335 000 000 kg

So, Kinetic Energy (KE) = (1/2)(335 000 000)(300 000)^2

That's 15.075*10^18 Joules (engineering notation)

Now, surely, that would vaporize a lot of steel (I'm having trouble remembering my thermodynamics), but that doesn't mean a sufficiently large object, or a material with sufficient energy absorption ability (like water has for instance, but a lot larger of course) couldn't survive an impact from an object running at the speed of light.

There are a lot of factors in any case. Energy absorption, energy transference efficiency, relative velocities, and so on, that would go into determining the end result of a Borg Cube being warped into by a ship.

Anyway, its a large assumption to think that a fictional material couldn't be imagined that could take the force of such an impact. Your personal opinion of your own writing ability not withstanding.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
    edited December 2012
    For a comparison to my figure of energy release, the Hiroshima bomb released 60*10^12 joules. So the impact is equivalent to 251 250 Hiroshima bombs.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
    edited December 2012
    Well... E=mc^2 is when the subject item isn't moving in relation to the observer (in the same reference frame). The actual equation is a bit different, but with a few assumptions that equation may be ablicable. But you're thinking of KE=1/2 mv^2.

E=mc^2 implies all the mass becomes energy, which is only really true in a m/am reaction.

Lets look at it this way. Warp 1 is 300 000 m/s. The mass of a Defiant class starship is 335 000 000 kg

So, Kinetic Energy (KE) = (1/2)(335 000 000)(300 000)^2

That's 15.075^18 Joules (engineering notation)

I know (my own area is Engineering but the sort involving hydraulics)
    Now, surely, that would vaporize a lot of steel (I'm having trouble remembering my thermodynamics), but that doesn't mean a sufficiently large object, or a material with sufficient energy absorption ability (like water has for instance, but a lot larger of course) couldn't survive an impact from an object running at the speed of light.

A borg cube hit at High warp becomes a spray of particles (fire a bullet at a rubics cube some time)

There are a lot of factors in any case. Energy absorption, energy transference efficiency, relative velocities, and so on, that would go into determining the end result of a Borg Cube being warped into by a ship.

well unless its moving AWAY at warp its toast

Anyway, its a large assumption to think that a fictional material couldn't be imagined that could take the force of such an impact. Your personal opinion of your own writing ability not withstanding.

the laws of physics overrule ALL writers good and bad
    and I only claimed to be better than the destiny books (oh and pretty much anything written by Dan Brown)

no material can withstand a transluminal hit
    nothing
    because the micro bonds in the material won't hold

But this isn't the place for high energy physics , discussions of trans and sub luminal impacts or talking about the properties of impossible materials

Startrek has always played fast and loose with science (like the transporter for example)

and we will bore the hell out of people

But I do recomend the rubics cube /gunshot demo
    it demonstrates it very well
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    Hmm... well, I am still learning my field (aerospace) so, we'll go with you're right... for now, muahahahaha.

I was going to liken the analogy to a high velocity sniper bullet and a large block of wood, but honestly, have never seen that, lol.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If your strategy is so brilliant, sollvax (and I thought of the same thing when I was a kid, as I'm sure many people did) then it makes every captain who had automated shuttles with warp drives at their disposal an idiot. It makes Sisko, Picard, Janeway, and Kirk idiots.

It would be bad drama to allow this to work. So anyone writing for Trek would have to come up with excuses why this is a bad idea (ie. "The resulting explosion would create a subspace rift that would backtrack along the shuttle's impulse trail, destroying any ship that launched it!", "Objects moving at warp register as energy to shields and standard shields already deflect phaser attacks that deal damage in excess of 200^20th power joules! Any ship attempting this would be dissipated instantly, without leaving a scratch!"") , to keep the drama intact.

Drama is more important than physics. And regardless of what has been established, the physics will always contort to the drama.
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If your strategy is so brilliant, sollvax (and I thought of the same thing when I was a kid, as I'm sure many people did) then it makes every captain who had automated shuttles with warp drives at their disposal an idiot. It makes Sisko, Picard, Janeway, and Kirk idiots.

It would be bad drama to allow this to work. So anyone writing for Trek would have to come up with excuses why this is a bad idea (ie. "The resulting explosion would create a subspace rift that would backtrack along the shuttle's impulse trail, destroying any ship that launched it!", "Objects moving at warp register as energy to shields and standard shields already deflect phaser attacks that deal damage in excess of 200^20th power joules! Any ship attempting this would be dissipated instantly, without leaving a scratch!"") , to keep the drama intact.

Drama is more important than physics. And regardless of what has been established, the physics will always contort to the drama.

And besides, something moving at warp speed is already telling Newtonian physics to go stuff itself, and either violating or using extreme edge-cases of Einsteinian physics.

Under Einstein, the speed of light is only approachable asymptotically, not reachable, for anything that actually has rest mass. So either an object going superluminal converts itself to tachyons, which have completely different and completely conjectural properties, or it cheats and twists the reference frames themselves so that it's moving at comfortably subluminal speeds in its own frame. Warp drive operates on the latter principle.

Given that objects moving at different warp speeds are shown to be capable of interacting in times measured longer than nanoseconds, warp fields must tend to be somewhat contagious, merging and carrying along stuff nearby. So a warp-speed impact would probably just be an impact at relativistic velocities. Now, that can still be frakking fast compared to speeds seen onscreen, but something moving fast enough to vaporize a planet on impact is probably just going to do a through-and-through on something like a Borg Cube instead of actually dissipating the energy. Going fast enough, quantum effects might make the matter of both objects miss entirely.
    SQUIRREL!
This discussion has been closed.