What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Third Faction Proposal

Comments

• Options
    idontcarenoforumidontcarenoforum Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I can't see the Romulans and Cardassians work together either.

Let's see how Season 8 turns out. I mean Ambassador Class Starship, Yesterdays Enterprise anyone? Time Travel. Anything is possible there. Even undoing the Hobus Supernova that way, what I don't think will happen.

The only valid Option, Story- and Workload wise would be to led the Romulans do the Panda (for those who get the WoW Referrence).

For those who don't.

I think Romulans will be in Season 8 as a "mini" Faction with let's say 5-10 Missons and then the player choose to go for Fed or KDF. The Backround to do so lorewise is already done, at least for Fed. Dual Citizenship.

As long as I get my Valdore or D'Deridex Class. I don't mind either.

This would also make things possible like Romulan Fleet Bases, just a cosmetic change though, on both sides.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    recksracer wrote: »
    This is either a joke thread or the OP is so out of touch with reality that it hurts.
    No joke thread at all. You've obviously not read the entire original post, else you'd see their is logic to my proposal. Add to the fact, if you had read the full post, you wouldn't have made the mistake below.
    They've only half finished (being generous) the KDF.
    I'm glad someone managed to come in and state the obvious even though it was specifically stated to leave the KDF faction talk out of this. Either you're ignorant or disrespectful. Either way, if you've got anything else to contribute make it substantial.
    I think Romulans will be in Season 8 as a "mini" Faction with let's say 5-10 Missons and then the player choose to go for Fed or KDF. The Backround to do so lorewise is already done, at least for Fed. Dual Citizenship.

This would also make things possible like Romulan Fleet Bases, just a cosmetic change though, on both sides.
    Also known as lazy. "Lets paint the Starbase and Embassy and make it look more Romulan." I for one would never play a mini faction. It would ultimately come down to just another FED or KDF toon, just looking different and in another alien ship.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    recksracerrecksracer Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    flash525 wrote: »
    No joke thread at all. You've obviously not read the entire original post, else you'd see their is logic to my proposal. Add to the fact, if you had read the full post, you wouldn't have made the mistake below.

I'm glad someone managed to come in and state the obvious even though it was specifically stated to leave the KDF faction talk out of this. Either you're ignorant or disrespectful. Either way, if you've got anything else to contribute make it substantial.

Also known as lazy. "Lets paint the Starbase and Embassy and make it look more Romulan." I for one would never play a mini faction. It would ultimately come down to just another FED or KDF toon, just looking different and in another alien ship.

Yeah.. I didn't read your entire deluded post and still havn't.

Your concept is not based in reality.

You might as well be advocating everything only costing 5 cents, theyre both about as likely to happen.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Short of Romulan and Reman, who else would you put into a Romulan faction then? It's going to be a little bit boring running around with just Romulan and Reman characters. I can appreciate the no Son'a (from my initial post, they were more connected to the Cardassians) and I suppose the Vaudwaar are a stretch, but the Suliban I'd think ideal candidates.
    Vendorians! MWAHAAHAH!!!!!! Truthfully, Their homeworld is already in the game, inside Romulan space. The Vendor sector is named after it.

They got quarantined by a treaty between the UFP and RSE, but now? After wars with not one but TWO other Empires with shapeshifting operatives, and the collapse of the Romulan government that signed the treaty? I could easily see the Romulans as being more willing to work with the Vendorians.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wouldn't this... enrage (somewhat) the people that have spent x amount of zen/dilithium/energy credits on master keys so that they could already fly the Attack Ship or Galor?

Well, no. Some obviously will throw a hissy fit, but so would the klingon players because the romulans have become playable.

The people who have the Galore and bug ship have ships that are not of their faction. They can say that they were test drivers for the dev's, or that they took them as a war trophy, and SF and the KDF allowed them to keep them due to resource scarcity.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well, no. Some obviously will throw a hissy fit, but so would the klingon players because the romulans have become playable.

The people who have the Galore and bug ship have ships that are not of their faction. They can say that they were test drivers for the dev's, or that they took them as a war trophy, and SF and the KDF allowed them to keep them due to resource scarcity.
    Also, the 'free' versions could be slightly inferior to the lockbox versions.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Yeah.. I didn't read your entire deluded post and still havn't.
    Then you've got no reason to be commenting here. If you don't know what you're talking about (you've not read the post, so you don't) your opinion is void.
    Your concept is not based in reality.
    Because everything else about this game and Star Trek in general is based in reality? Right. When's your next psych evaluation?
    They got quarantined by a treaty between the UFP and RSE, but now? After wars with not one but TWO other Empires with shapeshifting operatives, and the collapse of the Romulan government that signed the treaty? I could easily see the Romulans as being more willing to work with the Vendorians.
    I can't say I ever watched TAS (the one show I never tuned in to).
    Also, the 'free' versions could be slightly inferior to the lockbox versions.
    Like the difference between normal ships, and their fleet counterparts?
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Like the difference between normal ships, and their fleet counterparts?

think it would be like the Free Oddessey and the Tac/Eng/Sci versions
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Vendorians! MWAHAAHAH!!!!!! Truthfully, Their homeworld is already in the game, inside Romulan space. The Vendor sector is named after it.

I would support that, for obvious reasons.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    In the Galor example... it wouldn't give you spiral wave disruptors.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    In the Galor example... it wouldn't give you spiral wave disruptors.
    ...you would deny a Cardassian ship Spiral Wave Disruptors? :eek:
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I wouldn't mind a third faction, I have no qualms against that at all. I'd just want them to actually make it worth while, and not a 'ok now you are gonna join X or Y' after a few levels.

Even if it was a half-faction, I'd take that over a mini-faction before joining the Fed or KDF. Namely to start at Commander-ish level, and work from there. Along with their own ships, planets, etc.

Races could include:

Romulans (primary species, for obvious reasons)
    Remans
    Hirogen
    Liberated Borg Romulans
    Other subservient races under the Star Empire, now freed and allowed to do as they want.
    Alien
    Possibly more...stretched ideas.

I also feel like Romulan ships (actual ones like a D'deridex) would be more science inclined, while Reman copies or stolen ships would lean more tactically.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    I like your suggestion. I would support three full factions. We'd need to reach two full factions first.

THis^^^^^^
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Oh... and KDF faction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally Posted by crusty8mac
    Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? Don't you need a second faction before you get a third?

Oh look, we've got a comedian in the house.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zahinder
    He didn't mention KDF, did he now? Nope.

He implied.

So there is no missed implications.

Its a good idea but until they can actually have two full factions why start a third that will, by all evidence, end up like the second and linger as a half-finished entity with a bitter fanbase waiting to see the end arrive?

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    THis^^^^^^
    Oh... And you're an idiot.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

and you a complete trolling wanker who enjoys starting threads and insulting people who agree with you but do not wish to see the same mistakes recreated again.

I can always educate myself out of idiocy. You will always be a trolling wanker.

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Where did the report button go? O.o

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Where did the report button go? O.o

Ha! Thinking the same thing.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Its a good idea but until they can actually have two full factions why start a third that will, by all evidence, end up like the second and linger as a half-finished entity with a bitter fanbase waiting to see the end arrive?
    If they add a Romulan faction in the current condition of the KDF, I'd be cool with it.

I like this list:
    Romulans (primary species, for obvious reasons)
    Remans
    Hirogen
    Liberated Borg Romulans
    Other subservient races under the Star Empire, now freed and allowed to do as they want.
    Alien

But it needs Joined Trill. this would make an ok start for the faction.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Give me the benefit of the doubt here and allow me to explain my desires, and for the love of god don't mention the Klingon faction. For the purpose of this topic, I don't care, nor do I wish to hear about the status of either the Federation or Klingon factions. I would hope that is understood.
    In the second paragraph no less.

Then we get a clown:
    You couldn't even read two paragraphs before you opened your mouth to speak.
    and you a complete trolling wanker who enjoys starting threads and insulting people who agree with you but do not wish to see the same mistakes recreated again.
    You weren't agreeing with me when I quoted your post. You have in fact edited your post since.
    I can always educate myself out of idiocy.
    Perhaps then, you should find someone to teach you, cause self education isn't serving you too well.
    You will always be a trolling wanker.
    You might want to find out the meaning of both words before you use them. I had a reason for calling you an idiot. What's your reason for those insults? Revenge? Hah!
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Romulans Yes

Cardassian and romulan combined Not a chance
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    idontcarenoforumidontcarenoforum Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ha! Thinking the same thing.

I thought more in the lines of This
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Cardassian and romulan combined Not a chance
    What about Cardassians instead of Romulans?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    There's an entire series of books about the confederation of the Romulans and Cardassians, as well as a couple other races. I don't see it to beyond possibility when it could be seen that the federation and klingons don't have the interests of the romulans and cardassians at heart, and both broken empires seek mutual defense as they rebuild from their individual disasters.

It's obvious that the federation and klingons are exploiting the Romulans and Cardassians. It's about gaining allies against their enemies, not protecting and aiding the cardassians and Romulans because it's a nice thing to do.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Really, the more I think about it, the more I think some sort of configurable 'independent' faction would make the most sense.

Consider:
    Start with a limited list of doff missions and some exploration, pvp, trade stuff.
    Fleets can activate qualities like diplomacy, marauding, and missions involving various races/factions (depending on the nature of the fleet.)

Ships would be hodgepodge... I'm honestly not sure of the best approach. I'm half-inclined to make most of ship acquisition by zen/dilithium but possibly coming from both factions (again, maybe something unlocked by fleet, reflecting access to different open markets)

This would take some investment, but ... not as much as a full faction.

Why do this? You'd effectively have a third, fourth, fifth, infinite number of new factions without having to gamble on specific development. Want to be a splinter group of Jem'hadar? Make a bunch of aliens with your buddies costumed as Jem'hadar, tweak your fleet, get some Jem'hadar ships, go nuts.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    There's an entire series of books about the confederation of the Romulans and Cardassians, as well as a couple other races. I don't see it to beyond possibility when it could be seen that the federation and klingons don't have the interests of the romulans and cardassians at heart, and both broken empires seek mutual defense as they rebuild from their individual disasters.
    What are the names of these books, do you know? Wouldn't mind reading up on this confederation.
    It's obvious that the federation and klingons are exploiting the Romulans and Cardassians. It's about gaining allies against their enemies, not protecting and aiding the cardassians and Romulans because it's a nice thing to do.
    I'd imagine this to be the case with the Klingons, at least as far as J'mpok is concerned. The Federation however are more about 'lets incorporate every single species into one government'. Still, I (probably alike you) don't wish to see the Romulans merged with either of the other two factions.
    Why do this? You'd effectively have a third, fourth, fifth, infinite number of new factions without having to gamble on specific development.
    I don't feel we need a fourth, fifth, sixth ect number of factions. If we had three that were fully fleshed out with enough variety, I'd be quite content with that.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Star Trek: Typhon Pact is the series, but the Typhon Pact is announced in another book preceeding the series, as well as a few of the more recent DS9, TNG, and Titan books mentioning them.

What about an entirley new faction with completely new things? That way the devs can be creative and not be shoehorned into meddling with a race/faction thats integral to the story already, but unplayable. There's the Tzenkethi who are on par with the Federation, and have been fairly silent. (The Tzenkethi are a part of the Typhon Pact in the books).

I, personally, wish for the Typhon Pact. It's territory is huge, it has 6 members who are majoar players in the quadrant (Breen, Romulans, Tzenkethi, Cardassians, Gorn, and Tholians). I'm not sure if the Kinshaya are a major player. it sounds like they're new to the scene.

That sort of faction would have possibilities. Lots of material to create, and would be on an even footing with the former khitomer alliance, even if two members are messed up pretty bad.

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I've played actual multi faction games and yeah.... 3 factions is barely enough to be interesting. Territory control(which STO doesn't have, yet) is WAY more fun when you have 4-6 factions mixing it up. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What about Cardassians instead of Romulans?

Only if they are actually coming back as a hostile force
    we do not need another lame duck empire
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The advantage of a 'misc' faction is that you don't need enough buy-in for a particular idea, not like Cardassian and/or Romulan faction.

I mean, great, OP, the third sounds good to you. But it leaves folks in the dust who want a ferengi merchant alliance, or whatever else.

I also have serious doubts that there are more folks wanting to play romulans than KDF. I'm not saying that out of anything like allegiance -- I just don't see the numbers.

That's why I like Misc: you can have a Romulan splinter group. Several, in fact. Along with Gorn separatists and ... everything.

This discussion has been closed.