What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In-game Silencing System

Comments

• Options
    admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bluegeek; you're probably right rate limiting wouldn't do it all. I am indeed frustrated by the current system. I do think your ideas that it shouldn't limit Fleet/Channel chat are quite helpful. Zone chat reports should only effect Zone chat IMHO. If someone is spamming tells then there's the ignore feature. I hardly ever get spammed in a private message too.

What i'd like to see also for sure is some document somewhere on what the automated system's rules/functions are. I think everyone has the right to know what their limits are; what will happen and see a huge clarification if indeed a game ban does not occur.

The huge problem with an automated system is unjust judgement is almost a given with a quite visible portion of the pie-chart. Never mind the people who are veering away from zone chat like quite recently myself for instance.

It's definitely an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Does anyone know exactly how many people need to hit "spam/ignore" to trigger someone being muted for 24 hrs?
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is the third time it has been abused on me, quite frankly the system is horrible, and shouldn't exist period. It is being abused, and you guys are doing nothing to stop the abuse, in fact you are almost encouraging the abuse by blaming those for being abused by it.

As stated in support "that is our policy, you were in violation of terms, your 24 hour mute will be lifted once you have done your sentence, there is nothing we can do to reduce the sentence imposed upon you." Like they completely refuse to acknowledge that it is being abused completely. It took 3 emails for them to even comment on the abuse.

All times this happened, was after I wrote one thing, just one thing. Why do you give power to noobs? Do you automatically hire the first person to sign on as a moderator? No? Then why should you be giving it to trolls, abusers, and generally idiotic people?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm not excusing abuse one bit.

But mewi, would you satisfy my curiosity? Have you noticed any pattern common to the instances when you got silenced?

I'd like to invite anyone who's ever been silenced to think about these questions, too. Maybe if a pattern of abuse can be spotted, something concrete can be done about it. If it is abuse, then it's intentional and organized somehow.

I'll bold questions that are probably safe to answer here. Please don't name names, though -- forum rules don't allow it, unfortunately, for this line of questions.

Where were you when you got silenced? Where were you right before that? Were you in a social area, sector space, or somewhere else?

Did you notice anybody in particular sharing the zone with you? Did you catch what fleet they were in? (don't post here)

Which character were you running when you got silenced? (Maybe somebody has a weird hangup)

What kind of ship were you flying? (Maybe somebody was jealous)

What time were you silenced?

What chat channels were you posting in at the time?

What channels do you normally post in? (don't post here)

What were you chatting about right before you got silenced?

Did you notice anybody else in chat at the time? (don't post here)

Did you send any tells or respond to someone you weren't familiar with? (don't post here)

Did anybody reply? (don't post here)

Did anybody tick you off right before you got silenced? (don't post here)

Do you know any players who might be holding a grudge against you? Were they in the zone with you? (don't post here)

Have you ever seen a post from anyone who bragged about silencing someone? (don't post here)

If you think you see a pattern common to the times you've been silenced, by all means you should open a ticket. Maybe it will point to a time and/or a location where an abuser is lurking. Or maybe a hot-button topic that the abuser is focusing in on.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Bluegeek I appreciate your input, but pin pointing who is abusing and for what, isn't a solution, especially when the abused are forced to undergo the punishment regardless of whether any wrong doing took place. Because Cryptic said they wont do anything about it, once you've been silenced by abusive players.

All the instances in which I got silenced for 24 hours were completely unrelated and of different ends of the spectrum and two of which was after only making one comment, one time just after signing into the game.

Like I said, Cryptic isn't prepared to ban 10 players for every 1 player that gets abused, so it is going to amount to nothing. The only solution is to create a new system that is checked by a real person before punishments are administered, or remove the current system all together and allow players to just use the ignore function.

and I know of no players that hold a grudge against me, I know of official people that might hold a grudge, but not players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    two of which was after only making one comment, one time just after signing into the game.

Well, that's a pattern, isn't it? You didn't log on and find you were silenced right away... it was only after you commented. And it happened relatively quickly afterward.

How soon after you made the comment were you silenced? Do you remember what you said, more or less?

Unless somebody is randomly reporting people for kicks (which could be the case I admit) it suggests that maybe someone, or a group of people, is keeping an eye out for you, in particular. If it was completely random, why you three times? The odds would be against that, I would expect.

Regardless of whether you were specifically targeted, if this works the way people are saying it works, abuse of the silencing feature has to be both intentional and organized. No way does a group of people independently and simultaneously decide to report the same person for no reason.

Granted, we don't know how many people, or how long in between, or anything.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Well, that's a pattern, isn't it? You didn't log on and find you were silenced right away... it was only after you commented. And it happened relatively quickly afterward.

How soon after you made the comment were you silenced? Do you remember what you said, more or less?

Unless somebody is randomly reporting people for kicks (which could be the case I admit) it suggests that maybe someone, or a group of people, is keeping an eye out for you, in particular. If it was completely random, why you three times? The odds would be against that, I would expect.

Regardless of whether you were specifically targeted, if this works the way people are saying it works, abuse of the silencing feature has to be both intentional and organized. No way does a group of people independently and simultaneously decide to report the same person for no reason.

Granted, we don't know how many people, or how long in between, or anything.

Umm before I made a comment I hadn't said anything outside fleet chat in days, and the different times I've been silenced are too far apart to brand it as a grudge. You'd be surprised how unethical humans are, and how well they will organize, they don't necessarily even have to be friends, they could just be following a pattern of bad behavior. See something you don't like, and try to get them silenced.

But I will note that Trolls really don't like me, because they can't succeed in pushing me around? But I very rarely engage any of them in chat lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    And here I am again. 3rd time in 3yrs that people have abused the silence thing while I'm in chat.

There are people making objectionable comments about religion, politics, and anti-Americanism

And then I get people sending me PMs about how I need to shut up about my opinion then hit ignore when I try and say anything in contrast to those hateful remarks.

Now I get silenced. I wasn't spamming and I'm no where near as rude as many of the pseudo elitists who are actually breaking your TOU by putting people down just to bring themselves up.

Unblock my chat and CHANGE THIS NOW.

And while you're at it, remove that false warning about drugs and illegal activities was tacked on me. I've written 2 Cryptic staff about this before and still NOTHING has been done about it. The e-mails are still in my in-box for refernce plus I have copies. It's a false accusation and defamation of character.

FIX IT

:mad:

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    wbgron1wbgron1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I know players can be silenced for being verbally abusive or racist in zone chat but is there any other reason for it?

This evening I disconnected from the server whilst in the middle of a trade with another player in Q's Winter Wonderland (was swapping bells for beads). I logged back on and was given a 24 Hr Silence from the second I logged back on....Now last time I checked trading with other players was allowed and didn't result in a 24hr chat ban!!

There is no point in sending a ticket to GM because by the time the support team get round to answering my question the 24 hr ban will of been lifted and it'll be the New year :rolleyes:

Just wondering if similar has happened to others??
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The person you were trading with probably thought you were skipping out of the deal or trying to scam him so to be a horse's rear he reported you. Or maybe its a bug.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    or a bunch of people got fed up with you trading in public chat and ignored you
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    wbgron1wbgron1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So can several ignores trigger a ban?
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yep thats how bans work
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Another thread on this topic has been merged into the older, still active thread on the silencing system.

I have no special authority in-game, but let me say this:

No one should ever be reported for spam or abuse merely because they are posting something you don't like. I don't care whether they are recruiting for a fleet, or posting items for trade, or role-playing, or anything else that's not prohibited by the game's Terms of Use. Maybe the post doesn't belong in Zone chat and ought to be in another channel -- that's still no good reason to do that.

You may freely ignore anybody you want to. You can use slash commands (/ignore <name>) or right click on their name in chat and select ignore from the drop down. You do not need to report them as spammers. Save that for the real spammers trying to con people out of their money.

On the other hand, please be considerate of others and don't use Zone chat for extended private conversations, or posting the same thing over and over. All those unnecessary posts make Zone chat practically unusable, scrolling posts up faster than you can follow them. Create a new public or private channel and use that, instead. Avoiding Zone chat when you can will also make it less likely that you will be abused.
  • Options
    redlaurenceredlaurence Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    just awsome to get banned from chat for this :mad:

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3125/9agwogvr_jpg.htm
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Not to condone abuse of the anti-spam system, but if that was you calling other players noobs and to go play "Hello Kitty" that's just another form of abuse. Might even be considered a violation of the game's Terms of Service, although it really isn't enforced in that way.

The lesson learned is that people don't like getting flamed in chat or on the boards, and some of those people will retaliate if they get a chance even if it's against the rules.

It does make me wonder what the threshold is for getting somebody silenced, though. And I don't think the system should allow spam reports on messages in team chat, if that's what happened.

The remedy for someone abusing team chat should be limited to either ignoring the offender, or kicking from/leaving the team.
  • Options
    hiveman5hiveman5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok, ok... I know this has been brought up before on numerous occasions, but those threads are over a month old or more, so I'm starting a new one.

Yesterday on ESD a couple people where nerd raging over who knows what, and some one was talking about reporting them, and I said "Marking them as Spam is a good way to silence them for 24 hours." Two seconds later... Bam! Hit with an ignore and then Marked as a Spammer, preventing me from chatting for 24 hours. Looks like I wasn't the only one as conversation quickly died off in ESD for awhile until more people beamed in I guess and had something to talk about. Needless to say as we know already the 'Marked as Spam" feature is getting abused like no tomorrow and needs to be redone. As suggestions that have been brought up in the past like having a certain number of people marking some one as a spammer, rather then just one person, reducing the odds of it being abused, however marking someone as a spammer will still add them to your ignore list anyway, so you don't have to hear them conversate. Another idea would be only having the silence feature only work for the channel that the user has been marked as Spam on, not the entire chat system.

As I'm a leader of a fairly large fleet, this was a inconvenience to us forcing me to chat by other means which is more hassle. I think if your Marked as Spam on Zone chat, it should only apply to Zone chat, not fleet, team, or PMs, or other Private channels. If someone is marked as spam on any of these, then they are barred from that channel, not the rest, unless they get marked for more then 3 times in a short amount of time on at least 2 different channels, then that user is barred from the entire chat system for 24 hours. I think either of these would be fairer and while it will not completely stop grievers, it will at least limit what they can do, as it would take more then one person to mark someone as a spammer rather then just one. Any other new ideas?
    The Galaxy needs you to fight the Iconians and their Heralds in order to protect our interests and freedoms in the Galaxy. Join the fight in the Herald/Iconian War today! :cool:
  • Options
    reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sounds like karma ;D and you should know better then to give kids toys :D
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wbgron1 wrote: »
    So can several ignores trigger a ban?

Yes - and THAT my friend, is the biggest issue, as people will "ignore" you over trivial **** that has NOTHING to do with breaking any rules.

Again, if you separate/take away the ability to ban from the "ignore player", most of this will go away.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Another thread on this topic has been merged into the older, still active thread on the silencing system.

I have no special authority in-game, but let me say this:

<snip>

You may freely ignore anybody you want to.

<snip.

And therein lies the problem. People need to be more careful about "ignoring" folks, as even an ignore counts towards the chat ban. Utter bullocks!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    And therein lies the problem. People need to be more careful about "ignoring" folks, as even an ignore counts towards the chat ban. Utter bullocks!

I claim no direct experience of this, but where's your proof that ignores count toward the auto-silence? I've never heard that stated anywhere before. Never heard anybody say that's what happens.

I would agree that if that is indeed the case, then I think it shouldn't work like that. Ignore should remain a personal thing that doesn't affect anybody but the receiver and that only to filter out certain other players.

I believe that if you report for spam, the user is automatically added to your ignore list as well. I'm not sure that the reverse is true.

Why not organize a test (on Tribble? Is Tribble chat separate?) and find out how it actually works?

Get about 20 or so players on at the same time, on the same instance. Then have one at a time put the test subject on their ignore list (just that, not report for spam). See whether the auto-silence kicks in, and if so when. If that doesn't do it, then either it doesn't work like that or the threshold is fairly high. Rinse and repeat with more users if you want to be thorough about testing it.

What concerns me from what hiveman5 posted is that maybe the threshold for spam reporting could be as low as one report, or a very small number of reports. That might very well be a bug, or at least a legitimate complaint. Maybe the threshold needs to be higher (among other changes previously suggested).
  • Options
    briayabriaya Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It seems so easy to troll on this game... Silencing system is trolling. Snowballs...dancing in faces. I mean....you'd think they would have thought about how things could be abused.. I guess in the beta we barely had trolls. Hah.
  • Options
    doublea2012doublea2012 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Zone] Dub@doublea2012: Warriors in Arms looking for new fleet members newbs old schools doesnt matter join up do what you want when you want, yes i post those exzact words 1 time and only 1 time and got a 24 hour silence now i want this fixed and i want that updated so people cannot do this to you, it is basicly illegal for allowing someone else on the server to silence you for nothing and if your machince did this you need to fix it but i doubt it was your machince that did this i think it was some newb just wrongfully clicking on peoples names and getting them silenced now this issue better be corrected
  • Options
    doublea2012doublea2012 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    no you get automaticly silenced for someone reporting spam which in this case trying to recruit fleet members after one post in zone chat and then being silenced for it and not being able to even talk to fleet members is a complete load of crud, also on top of that i just became fleet leader today and now cannot recruit

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    EDIT: Removed to avoid pointless flaming. Sorry guys, my bad.
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    no you get automaticly silenced for someone reporting spam which in this case trying to recruit fleet members after one post in zone chat and then being silenced for it and not being able to even talk to fleet members is a complete load of crud, also on top of that i just became fleet leader today and now cannot recruit because of some dagum newb falsy reporting people when they did nothing wrong @ all so the report spam button needs to be removed completly, in any case there is a bunch of fooking newbs that play this game anyways and arent worth keeping around atlast i spend money on this game unlike some of these dip****s

To be fair, what constitutes spam is kind of subjective and a lot of people see buying/selling and recruiting to be spam, given how much of zone chat is often eaten up with it.

And, if you are repeating the same message over and over in zone chat, well that is kind of the definition of spamming.

My suggestion is, if you really want to recruit in social zones, send people tells.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    no you get automaticly silenced for someone reporting spam which in this case trying to recruit fleet members after one post in zone chat and then being silenced for it and not being able to even talk to fleet members is a complete load of crud, also on top of that i just became fleet leader today and now cannot recruit because of some dagum newb falsy reporting people when they did nothing wrong @ all so the report spam button needs to be removed completly, in any case there is a bunch of fooking newbs that play this game anyways and arent worth keeping around atlast i spend money on this game unlike some of these dip****s

Actually it's been confirmed by the devs and tested by the players over on CO (Which uses the same chat servers) that ignore and Report Spam actually do pretty much the same thing although Report Spam might be weighted more than ignore
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    You get automatic silenced by enough people putting you in the ignore list.

Yeah, this was officially confirmed, though I'm disappointed that it actually works like that. The report spam function is more than sufficient for that... normal ignores shouldn't count, IMO.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Zone] Dub@doublea2012: Warriors in Arms looking for new fleet members newbs old schools doesnt matter join up do what you want when you want, yes i post those exzact words 1 time and only 1 time and got a 24 hour silence now i want this fixed and i want that updated so people cannot do this to you, it is basicly illegal for allowing someone else on the server to silence you for nothing and if your machince did this you need to fix it but i doubt it was your machince that did this i think it was some newb just wrongfully clicking on peoples names and getting them silenced now this issue better be corrected

No, it is not illegal.

We are playing in PWE's playground. They set the rules, and the silencing mechanism is part of that. We may disagree with it and argue that it should be changed, but it's certainly not illegal.

PWE owns the game and the forum and have the right to set their own standards to limit what people can and cannot do here. This is confirmed by our acceptance of the Terms of Service before we ever even log on.