test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Comments

• averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah I saw flakes saw it and thank you :)

Well I was looking on the virgin media forums and league of legends players are having the same issues. There tracers are timing out with the atlas cogent systems as well so could be a technical fault on the systems.

Still annoying I've been off Monday night and was going spend money on new sov variant but not doing anything until this is sorted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2012
    Our tech team is investigating. If you have a support ticket in about this, look for an update soon. It's definitely not affecting everyone and I am sincerely sorry for those who are affected.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Our tech team is investigating. If you have a support ticket in about this, look for an update soon. It's definitely not affecting everyone and I am sincerely sorry for those who are affected.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank you so much Branflakes!!!! I am pleased we have a Cryptic official looking into it, this gives me hope, and I know you wont let us down!!
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • darthconnor1701darthconnor1701 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the reply brandon.

Also if anyone gets a reply that works post it plz. Hate waiting on tickets to get replies lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Well, it's good to know that someone's on the case! The only other time I've ever encountered this problem had been when there was a server shut down, on account of an unscheduled maintenance. Yet, that doesn't seem to be the case this go around.

I last logged into STO, either sometime this past weekend or possibly this past Tuesday. Had absolutely no login issues then.

Something funny that I did notice, which happened either yesterday or on Wednesday, which may or may not be related: When I attempted to access this forum then, via both Goggle Chrome and Explorer, my old bookmark wasn't working at all. Both Chrome and Explorer seemed to indicate that the page was down. I then recalled something similar happening when the official switch from Cryptic to PWE had occurred. Well, using Chrome, I accessed the 'cached version' of the Forum and discovered that I was able to read a thread and then logged in from the prompt above that thread and I was magically back on the forum! Though, I noticed that the Forum address had changed since the beginning of this week. I promptly updated my bookmark to the new address and no Forum problems since. Weird stuff.

I'm guessing these login issues are somehow associated with yesterday's patch? Since I had no problems at all before yesterday's patch rollout. My Windows OS is fully updated, as are all my graphics and device drivers. Perhaps there are common symptoms associated with this issue? I.E., Operating System or Graphics Card type?

I'm using Windows 7 64bit OS, with an NVIDIA GeForce 210 graphics card. Never any persistent login problems until this morning. To those also suffering from this login problem, I can't help wondering if it might be helpful to share rig info?

Hope this gets resolved soon, as I'm eager to get back in-game!

P.S.- And another odd thing I just noticed...the C-Store isn't coming up for me at all! In the window where the C-Store items should be displayed, I'm getting "The Webpage is not available". The rest of the page is visible and it still shows me logged in, as it does here, on the Forum. The weirdness just continues to abound!
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• warslord1warslord1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    day 5 and still nothing
    edited August 2012
    warslord1 wrote: »
    day 5 and still nothing
    Warslord1, you've had this problem since Sunday or Monday???!!!:eek:

I'm pretty sure that I last logged in either Sunday, Monday or Tuesday night (whichever night featured an SSR party at the top level of Quark's at DS9...much whiskey that evening, so my recall's fuzzy) and I didn't have any problems either logging on or staying connected then.

That said, I hadn't tried logging in again until sometime around 5:30AM to 6AM this morning. And I haven't been able to log on either, on account of repeatedly getting "Unable to establish connection to Patch Server...etc., etc.".

Though, I have spoken to a pal of mine who had absolutely no problems logging on this morning. I'm in Orlando, Florida and he's in Ft. Meyers.

Perhaps this might be some sort of problem with our Internet Service Providers? My pal, in Ft. Myers, is connected with Comcast. While I, here in Orlando, get my cable internet from Brighthouse Networks and Roadrunner.

Who's your Internet Service Provider Warslord1? Just wondering if this might be an issue between Cryptic and certain ISPs, given that some of us are unable to connect to STO, while some clearly are?
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    methos71

• clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    OK, while I am sorry to hear others are having this issue, I'm glad it isn't just my system.

The patch is taking a really long time this time around - normally it only takes a minute or two, even with up to 700 MB of data. We're ticking on an hour now.

Slow start to get to the launcher this time, too, and, like someone else mentioned, it had worked fine just hours beforehand.
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Its actually a routing issue but its one that PWE needs to investigate since it's effecting their servers.

Got a reply from my now long ticket, again it wasn't read at all, and told me that I should check my antivirus to see if it was blocked, I had already mentioned in the last ticket I had double checked this....
    Hi Player,

After an update, your antivirus and/or firewall software can decide to block the game because so many game files changed, and the autopatching process can get blocked too while playing. How did you add exceptions for the game in your security software?

You can try disabling auto patching for the game too.

What happened after you tried Options > Force Verify on the game launcher menu?

I've mentioned several times I can't even get to the launcher infact the actual name of the ticket is Cannot Launch the Launcher
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
    edited August 2012
    macfelly wrote: »
    Its actually a routing issue but its one that PWE needs to investigate since it's effecting their servers.

Got a reply from my now long ticket, again it wasn't read at all, and told me that I should check my antivirus to see if it was blocked, I had already mentioned in the last ticket I had double checked this....

I've mentioned several times I can't even get to the launcher infact the actual name of the ticket is Cannot Launch the Launcher
    Yeah, they pretty clearly didn't read your ticket! And I can vouch for it not being either an Anti-Virus or Firewall conflict, at the root of this problem, since I always shut down both before ever attempting to launch STO or any online game (if only for the sake of minimizing lag).
    methos71

edited August 2012
    methos71 wrote: »
    Yeah, they pretty clearly didn't read your ticket!

Whats worse is this is about four replies in since monday and everytime they have just spouted off form letters at me. Now this may be fine one time because it can narrow down some simple issues but there should be someone actually reading the tickets after that. I've sent them nettests and tracerts and details about the error from the auto launcher error file about the launcher being unable to connect.
  • kirash1979kirash1979 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm pretty much in the same mindset, macfelly. I'm frustrated to no end because all the things they say to me, I have told them I have already tried. When they tell me to try to do a Force Verify, I tell them, "Hey I can't even get the launcher to load. THIS is the problem."

I'm glad to see it at least got acknowledged by someone from Cryptic though. Doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting my time with Tech Support's scripted replies.
    edited August 2012
    Darn, I was hoping to get home and see a message saying "Yup it was something stupid on our end, all is good to go, log in guys" damn! Looks like its going to be something that will drag out for awhile but this will at least delay my cancellation. If we are still having this discussion 2 weeks from today well that'll be a different story.
    edited August 2012
    bannon3 wrote: »
    Darn, I was hoping to get home and see a message saying "Yup it was something stupid on our end, all is good to go, log in guys" damn! Looks like its going to be something that will drag out for awhile but this will at least delay my cancellation. If we are still having this discussion 2 weeks from today well that'll be a different story.

I give them 2 more days I can understand a few days outage but with all the money I've dumped into the zen store a week without is too much. I have another game on deck I'll go back to, its a sub game but at least they never have outages like this and if they did they have the power to fix it quickly and their tech team doesn't fool around they will actually call you and help out.
  • clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    clannmac wrote: »
    OK, while I am sorry to hear others are having this issue, I'm glad it isn't just my system.

The patch is taking a really long time this time around - normally it only takes a minute or two, even with up to 700 MB of data. We're ticking on an hour now.

Slow start to get to the launcher this time, too, and, like someone else mentioned, it had worked fine just hours beforehand.

And now I am having the same issues several of these others are having: "Trying to Connect to "AutoUpdater;" "Tried to connect 1 time"...then two...the "Unable to Connect to Patch, Check youy Internet Connection and Try Again." Well, all else I've gotten into at work and home today works just fine - ain't my I-net.

After the slow patch this morning, I was able to get into the game without issues, though it never seemed to remember my username as it usually does. However, the above is what I'm getting now, just two hours later.

Do we know someone is working on the issue, and why are seemingly only a fraction of us being affected? If it was server-wide this and other forums would be on Page 500 by now.
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I was having this issue.

Its now fixed. I did this:

Open CMD in admin mode.
    type:

ipconfig /release

[wait]

then type:

ipconfig /renew

[wait]

then type:

ipconfig /flushdns

The launcher opened as it should for me after doing this. It may be coincidental with some techsupport solution - but it worked, and you should conider trying it : it basically clears the cobwebs out of your isp connection.
    edited August 2012
    clannmac wrote: »
    Do we know someone is working on the issue, and why are seemingly only a fraction of us being affected? If it was server-wide this and other forums would be on Page 500 by now.
    This is what's been nagging at me most about this issue and has me thinking that the root of this problem might be some sort of disconnect between Cryptic's servers and our Internet Service Providers. As I stated earlier, I have a pal (in Ft. Meyers, FL.) who has Comcast as his ISP, and he's been able to login to STO today, without any problems at all. Meanwhile, I'm here in Orlando, FL., with Brighthouse Networks/Roadrunner as my ISP and I've plagued with this "Unable to establish connection to Patch Server" problem.

This whole thing vaguely reminds me of a persistent problem that Brighthouse/Roadrunner used to have with Microsoft's Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger. Years ago, Brighthouse/Roadrunner would update their ISP software or somesuch and it would prevent any and all of their customers from accessing both MS Hotmail and MSN/Windows Live Messenger. Roadrunner would even acknowledge the issue directly on their ISP systems status page. They usually had the problem fixed within hours or, at most, within a day.

PWEBranflakes stated that they have a team currently investigating the problem. Perhaps it might help them if we all share some specific info, such as what Operating System we're running and (more to the point of my guess on the root of the problem) who we all use as our Internet Service Provider?

I'll repeat my info for the sake of posterity. My system's OS is Windows 7, 64 bit and my Internet Service Provider is Brighthouse Networks / Roadrunner.
    methos71

edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    I was having this issue.

Open CMD in admin mode.

The launcher opened as it should for me after doing this. It may be coincidental with some techsupport solution - but it worked, and you should conider trying it : it basically clears the cobwebs out of your isp connection.

Gave it a shot. no go! :( It may be coincidental, there have been a few times in the last week when I got the launcher and could pull it up consecutively, so maybe it just worked out you hit it right after doing this. Last week I was in the game and went to desktop and tried the launcher and got the time out while the game was running! So once you are in its fine. Please sort this out Cryptic, or tell us you dont have a clue so we can accept it and move on! lol
  • kirash1979kirash1979 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I was having this issue.

Open CMD in admin mode.

Tried. Like everything else, it didn't work.

As for my specs:

OS - Windows 7 64-bit
    ISP - Charter Communications
    edited August 2012
    I was having this issue.

Open CMD in admin mode.

Yeah, I just tried this as well and it didn't help at all for me either, sadly. I had tried a variation of your suggestion earlier, but I hadn't run 'ipconfig/flushdns'. Alas, even adding that last suggested command hasn't resolved the problem.:(

Nynik, can't help asking if perhaps you restarted your system, after you ran those 'ipconfig' command lines?
    methos71

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Nope. I did pray to a higher power and also drank water from the wrong side of a glass. SO they may help too.

I did clear my various browser caches. Thoroughly (even for ones I don't use often if they had not been cleared through my preferred method). IIRC the launcher does work with internet explorer in some hocus pocus way - although that might not be the case at all.

Sorry to hear things are still a no go.

I would suggest heading over the the official PW tech support site though as well. Darthpanda (dev) is quite active there and helping people.

http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/
    edited August 2012
    Well Brandon hopefully has the team on it, there has to be a workaround or something they can do. Once back in 2010 there was a problem with the launcher not patching right so some couldnt get into the game and they gave us a launcher that didnt update to allow us in. I wonder in this case if we could get something similar like a launcher that opens on our side, then tries to connect or something because then we could at least play with the proxy options etc. Sadly even running GameClient.exe is a no go. I have no issues connecting to Steam , EA servers for Mass Effect, Arena Net for both Guild Wars, Cyan for Uru Live etc. This is the only problem, and maddening as hell.
  • warslord1warslord1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    just got my email today from support

and can you guest what they have told me agian to do?

i am thinking they are just opening an book closing thier eyes and flipping some pages where they stop, thats what they tell you todo

are they even reading my replys?

i told them all my drivers are up to date checked 2 times just incase

and then they ask about the fire wall and antuvirus , turned them all off and still did not work, told them last reply

then they say force verify on the game laucher my when i sent the ticket in the first time i told that was not coming up

so any mod on, can you find out if they are even reading my replys?

any thing new in this email was to diabling the autopatcher, dose any one know how to do that?
    edited August 2012
    Support has ignored me altogether I havent heard from them in a few days, my ticket is just hanging out there. I think at this point support is useless, we just have to pray branflakes and the team come through for us.
    edited August 2012
    Nope. I did pray to a higher power and also drank water from the wrong side of a glass. SO they may help too.

I did clear my various browser caches. Thoroughly (even for ones I don't use often if they had not been cleared through my preferred method). IIRC the launcher does work with internet explorer in some hocus pocus way - although that might not be the case at all.

Sorry to hear things are still a no go.

I would suggest heading over the the official PW tech support site though as well. Darthpanda (dev) is quite active there and helping people.

http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/
    I tried everything you suggested Nynik, save the prayer and sideshot of water. Made sure to clear both my browser caches thoroughly, ran a 'clean disk', ran the ipconfig commands, and then performed a shutdown and clean bootup of my system before attempting STO login. Still no login love sadly.:(
    warslord1 wrote: »
    just got my email today from support

and can you guest what they have told me agian to do?

i am thinking they are just opening an book closing thier eyes and flipping some pages where they stop, thats what they tell you todo

are they even reading my replys?

i told them all my drivers are up to date checked 2 times just incase

and then they ask about the fire wall and antuvirus , turned them all off and still did not work, told them last reply

then they say force verify on the game laucher my when i sent the ticket in the first time i told that was not coming up

so any mod on, can you find out if they are even reading my replys?

any thing new in this email was to diabling the autopatcher, dose any one know how to do that?
    Warslord1, I'm intrigued by the last sentence of your post. They suggested 'disabling the autopatcher'? If so and if they were suggesting uninstalling 'Panda Media Booster', then I can tell you that doesn't solve this problem either, as I've already uninstalled 'Panda Media Booster'. From what I understand, it's useless after game install anyhow. To delete it, simply go to Control Panel, then 'Programs and Features', then highlight 'Panda Media Booster' and click on 'Uninstall' up top.

Again, doing all that still hasn't resolved this problem. Yet, from what I understand, when and if we're able to log back into STO, uninstalling PMB.exe should help with mitigating lag issues, if you've ever had 'em.
    Support has ignored me altogether I havent heard from them in a few days, my ticket is just hanging out there. I think at this point support is useless, we just have to pray branflakes and the team come through for us.
    Bannon3, yeah, at this point, I can't help agreeing with your assessment that it's up to Branflakes and the team to resolve this. And I may be wrong, but I'm starting to think that we won't be able to log back in to STO, until they've determined the problem and then apply a server maintenance to resolve the issue.

UPDATE: Okies, I just got back a response from PWE Support and here's what they sent me:

"Response Via Email (Kortana Turing) 08/17/2012 06:26 PM
    Greetings Player,

Please first restart your computer and network hardware and try again a little bit later before trying anything else. This is critical that you restart your network gear.

You can try running Options > Force Verify and let the process complete and try again.

You can try disabling On Demand Patching.

You cant ry reinstalling the game with the newest game client."

Just to be clear about this obvious form email, which it seems everyone here has been getting:

1. I've restarted the computer several times (both via system restart and shutdown and startup). No effect in resolving the problem.

2. By 'restarting the network hardware', are they suggesting that I completely disconnect and reboot my cable modem? If so, then I haven't tried that. Yet, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, but haven't all those 'ipconfig' commands (release, renew and flushdns) pretty much performed the same thing as a physical disconnect, cut power and then reconnect, resume power? I'll give that a try anyhow, but I don't really see the point of doing so.

3. Like everyone else, I can't 'Force Verify', 'cause I can't even access the frakkin' STO login screen/patch updater!

4. "Try disabling On Demand Patching"? How does one do this? If means unistalling 'Panda Media Booster', then I've already done this.

5. "Try reinstalling the game with the newest game client"? What good would this do? I've already noted that a few people in this thread have gone through that hassle repeatedly, to no avail. What's more, I suspect that following such advice could potentially cause more harm than good.

So, yeah, PWE Support seems utterly useless! Hope Branflakes and his 'investigators' come to the rescue soon!
    methos71

• clearbeardclearbeard Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I had to run a force verify this morning because my game was inexplicably in a version mismatch since last night and didn't auto-patch. Unlike previously, the verify process did not appear to be doing anything for a long time, until it finished suddenly after about 5 minutes. Nothing like a total lack of progress bar to make my game day interesting.
    edited August 2012
    Just for ****s and giggles I am going to go ahead and download the game and put it into another folder, leaving my current install alone (just in case). I will update this after it completes, one way or another. But my hopes arent up or anything, also now I know what this Pando Media Booster is, the downloader installs it, up to now I didnt have it installed, not to get off topic cause we need to keep the pressure on, but what is it for or what does it do?
    edited August 2012
    Just for ****s and giggles I am going to go ahead and download the game and put it into another folder, leaving my current install alone (just in case). I will update this after it completes, one way or another. But my hopes arent up or anything, also now I know what this Pando Media Booster is, the downloader installs it, up to now I didnt have it installed, not to get off topic cause we need to keep the pressure on, but what is it for or what does it do?
    From what I've read about 'Pando Media Booster', it acts like a torrent client, which facilitates downloading of STO itself. So, if I've understood it's function correctly, akin to torrent clients like BitTorrent or UTorrent, anyone who's logged on to STO is essentially acting as a 'seeder' ('seeding' the STO program itself), whilst anyone who's downloading the game is essentially a 'leacher' (receiving all the bits and pieces of the game from everyone who's logged into STO and 'seeding').

I've also gathered that 'Pando Media Booster' is useless to an STO gamer themselves, once they have installed STO itself (for the first and hopefully only time). The PWE Support page even recommends uninstalling 'Pando Media Booster' in order to diminish lag issues, as PMB.exe impacts bandwidth usage.

I didn't realize that I even had PMB on my system until today. Can ya tell that I've been trying to troubleshoot this login problem for the better part of today??!!:P
    methos71

edited August 2012
    If we all get back in we should get together and celebrate at Club 41, Romulan Ales all around! Or form a Fleet, the Disgruntled Starfleeters lol!
    edited August 2012
    If we all get back in we should get together and celebrate at Club 41, Romulan Ales all around! Or form a Fleet, the Disgruntled Starfleeters lol!
    Hey I'm all for that man!:D I'm not even in a Fleet yet either. Though, a buddy of mine and I have been thinking of forming one (based on and hopefully involving old 'Total War' gaming buddies). If that doesn't work out, then 'Disgruntled Starfleeters' doesn't sound too shabby at all!:)

Getting back on topic: I noticed another thread here and another at PWE's Tech Support Forum, regarding a program called 'DisplayFusion'. Apparently, some folks suffering the same problem we've been enduring (who had or have this 'DisplayFusion' program). have either disabled or unistalled 'DisplayFusion' and that seems to have fixed the issue for them.

Trick is, I don't have and have never have had this 'DisplayFusion' program. So, no luck with a fix there.

That got me thinking that perhaps it's an NVidia display compatibility issue. Yet, I checked my NVidia Control Panel and it wasn't set up for 'multiple displays' (which seems to be the function of this aforementioned 'DisplayFusion' program). So, again, no luck with a fix.:(
    methos71