test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac version testing....

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just want to note for anyone who might be interested that doh's wrapper works smoothly and easily for Champions as well as STO.

To get Champions onto your Mac, launch the installer for STO, login with your account and password, and click on "options." Click on "show all games." This will create a drop-down menu on the launcher that will allow you to select which game you want to patch/play.

Once you use this drop-down menu to select Champions Online, the launcher will begin to download Champions onto your hard disk. Once the download is complete, just click on "Engage" and Champions will launch.

No alteration to anything inside the wrapper is required. You just have to use the Options menu inside Cryptic's launcher to get it to display Champions as an option, along with STO. (It has always had this capability; the option is just turned off by default.) This presumes you do not have CO already installed on a partition or anything else. The download is not very long, however.

Again, my thanks to doh123 for making this wrapper, which lets me run my favorite games without Boot Camp or Windows!

I am a new mac user and I've tried downloading the game from file planet, I can't get my mac to fully unzip the file so when I try to install using the wineskin wrapper, it can't find the .exe file it needs. I'm starting to wonder if my only hope is to get a version of windows and run it that way. I've been trying for 2 days and am just getting frustrated. I first tried to install the original installed program from my old PC. I was able to get through the sign on and the patches but then it I would get an error message from Cryptic and it would crash. My Macbook Pro has an Intel HD graphics card. I'm not sure it's because I'm a mac newbie so I don't know what I'm doing or if there is something wrong. If anyone can help, would love the assist.
    edited June 2012
    Bellerev wrote:
    I am a new mac user and I've tried downloading the game from file planet, I can't get my mac to fully unzip the file so when I try to install using the wineskin wrapper, it can't find the .exe file it needs. I'm starting to wonder if my only hope is to get a version of windows and run it that way. I've been trying for 2 days and am just getting frustrated. I first tried to install the original installed program from my old PC. I was able to get through the sign on and the patches but then it I would get an error message from Cryptic and it would crash. My Macbook Pro has an Intel HD graphics card. I'm not sure it's because I'm a mac newbie so I don't know what I'm doing or if there is something wrong. If anyone can help, would love the assist.

if you cannot get the download to unzip right, then there is either something wrong with the download itself being corrupted, or with your system for not being able to unzip it. Theres little I can do to help that, you may have to try downloading it again.
    edited June 2012
    wrote:
    if you cannot get the download to unzip right, then there is either something wrong with the download itself being corrupted, or with your system for not being able to unzip it. Theres little I can do to help that, you may have to try downloading it again.
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply and your patience with me. You were right, for some reason my earlier download was missing the .exe file or I might have deleted by accident. I re-downloaded and it unzipped fine. I set up it up with the recommended settings and tried to run. I was able to get to the logon screen, the Cryptic "loading" screen and finally to the Starfleet Delta "Loading" screen. After about 5 minutes, it crashes. So, I made some progress but didn't get to the game.
    edited June 2012
    Bellerev wrote:
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply and your patience with me. You were right, for some reason my earlier download was missing the .exe file or I might have deleted by accident. I re-downloaded and it unzipped fine. I set up it up with the recommended settings and tried to run. I was able to get to the logon screen, the Cryptic "loading" screen and finally to the Starfleet Delta "Loading" screen. After about 5 minutes, it crashes. So, I made some progress but didn't get to the game.

I figured out my problem. Part of it is just my lack of familiarity with Apple and the other half is just not fully reading our instructions and VERY helpful hints. Thank you so much for writing this wrapper. It seems to run better on my Macbook than it did on Windows but haven't run it through it's paces yet. Thank you again!:)
  • therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    well this forced changed over to a PW account makes things confusing... I just see everyone as archived users now in the post... hopefully this post still works.
  • ispotispot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just see everyone as archived users now in the post

It's a Borg thing.

Anyway yes I too noticed that. I suppose it happens to the ones who've not yet completed the account merge. I just completed mine and was able to pick up my old forum handle. Since you're the real doh, chances are that you're not a fake doh.

Now on with the show... any news on the STO wrapper concerning the launch of Mountain Lion on the 19th next month?
    "I never met a chocolate I didn't like"
    Old forum user name: iSpot
    Old forum join date: August 2008
    Old forum post count: Somewhat higher
    Lifer
    edited June 2012
    ispot wrote: »
    It's a Borg thing.

Anyway yes I too noticed that. I suppose it happens to the ones who've not yet completed the account merge. I just completed mine and was able to pick up my old forum handle. Since you're the real doh, chances are that you're not a fake doh.

Now on with the show... any news on the STO wrapper concerning the launch of Mountain Lion on the 19th next month?

It shouldn't affect anything... I haven't tested STO, but Wineskin itself still works.
  • ispotispot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It shouldn't affect anything... I haven't tested STO, but Wineskin itself still works.

Great. I was merely thinking along the lines of graphics driver updates that might be included with Mountain Lion. Looking forward to test the game once the new OS version is live in just under four weeks...

(off topic: the forum post count is way off... and the forum join dates here do not quite correspond with our "real" join dates either... and this quote from my forum control panel was rather amusing: "You last visited: 12-31-1969 at 04:00 PM". But at least I found the option to enable the lifetime forum title. That's something.)
    "I never met a chocolate I didn't like"
    Old forum user name: iSpot
    Old forum join date: August 2008
    Old forum post count: Somewhat higher
    Lifer
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Do you know if Demorecord works on this?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited June 2012
    Do you know if Demorecord works on this?

no idea... try it and see what happens.
  • delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm not sure which of the recent wrapper updates did it, but I'm no longer experiencing any of the crashes related to resolution switches or video quality settings and the weird keybind issues I was having since launch are gone. The game feels more responsive now at higher settings, too.

+1!
    Relax.
  • dsrulesalldsrulesall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Please forgive me if this was covered. I haven't seen anything in the last few pages of this thread about this and the search on the new forums is not helping.

Anyone else still able to log into Tribble? It worked about 2 weeks ago but it crashes my Macbook Air every time I try now. Either it crashes while showing the Fed Logo "Loading" screen, or it shows a whirlwind of rainbow colors. I've tried tweaking my display settings but after about 8 reboots, I've given up for the night. Any thoughts?
  • darkelipse04darkelipse04 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dsrulesall wrote: »
    Please forgive me if this was covered. I haven't seen anything in the last few pages of this thread about this and the search on the new forums is not helping.

Anyone else still able to log into Tribble? It worked about 2 weeks ago but it crashes my Macbook Air every time I try now. Either it crashes while showing the Fed Logo "Loading" screen, or it shows a whirlwind of rainbow colors. I've tried tweaking my display settings but after about 8 reboots, I've given up for the night. Any thoughts?

Same thing is happening to me...
  • dsrulesalldsrulesall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I should have come back and updated sooner. It started working for me again, but I'm not sure what fixed it. There was a patch to Tribble (last week of June) the same day I tried starting in Safe Mode. I haven't had a problem since, and I don't even have to run in Safe Mode anymore. So I have no idea if it was Safe Mode or the patch to Tribble that fixed whatever issue I was having. I hope it resolves for you, as there are rewards for being on Tribble this weekend.
  • boldfullboldfull Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ok i have spent a lot of time getting this game to work on my mac book pro, when i start the game the video is has some static. is their anyway to clean that up?
  • iamkoobiiamkoobi Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've been using the wrapper since you created it. However, I'm still using 1.3.0. I'd like to upgrade, but I'd like to do it without having to download the entire game again. I am correctly copying the Crytpic Studios folder. Yet, when I launch the game and login, it starts downloading a 4 GB patch. But, when I put the Cryptic Studios folder back in the old wrapper, it launches just fine with the latest Season 6. What could be causing this?
    edited July 2012
    boldfull wrote: »
    ok i have spent a lot of time getting this game to work on my mac book pro, when i start the game the video is has some static. is their anyway to clean that up?
    not sure what you mean by static... but i'd just play with the in game graphics options.
    iamkoobi wrote: »
    I've been using the wrapper since you created it. However, I'm still using 1.3.0. I'd like to upgrade, but I'd like to do it without having to download the entire game again. I am correctly copying the Crytpic Studios folder. Yet, when I launch the game and login, it starts downloading a 4 GB patch. But, when I put the Cryptic Studios folder back in the old wrapper, it launches just fine with the latest Season 6. What could be causing this?
    Is it really downloading 4GB? Sometimes it'll do a full file check and start acting like its downloading a ton, but it flies through it as it checks files and doesn't really download anything.
  • masterryan7masterryan7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was wondering if an Intel GMA 950 was a high enough video driver to run this game on because it is currently in a blackscreen playing music.
    edited July 2012
    I was wondering if an Intel GMA 950 was a high enough video driver to run this game on because it is currently in a blackscreen playing music.

I seriously doubt its capable.
  • boldfullboldfull Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    my game is getting buggy and crashes after a couple of missions, i have played around with the graphics settings and have lowered them as much as i can. but if i go any lower the game will look like TRIBBLE, any suggestions?
  • masterryan7masterryan7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I seriously doubt its capable.

Damn, I was hoping to play this with my friend today :(
    edited July 2012
    Damn, I was hoping to play this with my friend today :(

The GMA 950 is really a horrid little thing... even after that was the GMA X3100 which isn't much better, then they started making the GPU built int the CPU instead of the Chipset. That was a great improvement, leading to the Intel HD series. The current Intel HD 3000 and 4000s that have been used in Macs are really nice for low end Intel graphics and can run this ok... but I think anything older than the Intel HD 3000 just isn't physically capable of some of the requirements. Intel designed the GMA series around the idea that not everyone wants to buy a GPU if all they do is run simple things like MS Word and Excel and web browsers... so its a bare minimum design with no intentions of games
  • jmreadjmread Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi. Ive been using the wrapper for quite a few months now and its been working fine, but lately i have a hell of a time getting in so i deleted the wrapper and files. I got my files before from the cryptic download, but it was working fine, and now its not. I used a pc to download the files from file planet and put them on my flash drive. but now when i select "choose setup Executable I cant select my files from file planet. Any help would be soooo appreciated, cause i already miss sto
    edited July 2012
    jmread wrote: »
    Hi. Ive been using the wrapper for quite a few months now and its been working fine, but lately i have a hell of a time getting in so i deleted the wrapper and files. I got my files before from the cryptic download, but it was working fine, and now its not. I used a pc to download the files from file planet and put them on my flash drive. but now when i select "choose setup Executable I cant select my files from file planet. Any help would be soooo appreciated, cause i already miss sto

choose setup executable gives you full access to everything.. you just have to browse through and find it. I'm not sure how to help... you should be able to click on the flash drive and see the files to run. SOmetimes certain programs don't like to run off flash drives though, so you may want to copy the whole game installation files over to your main drive and then install from there.
  • iamkoobiiamkoobi Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    not sure what you mean by static... but i'd just play with the in game graphics options.

Is it really downloading 4GB? Sometimes it'll do a full file check and start acting like its downloading a ton, but it flies through it as it checks files and doesn't really download anything.

Yes, it's downloading a 4GB patch. It's not simply checking files. It's downloading.
  • drphil321drphil321 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and for some reason, after this new patch (Worf Uniform) I'm having major graphics problems.
  • tiger909sptiger909sp Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This seems really cool so I will try it out. I began playing STO when it released its F2P version. I am about level 25 now. I got a new Macbook Pro and was saddened to find out that I could not download the regular client.
  • cliffstahcliffstah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Has anyone tried it on Mountain Lion yet?

I may try this on an external hard drive today. If I do, I'll post again with my results..
    edited July 2012
    cliffstah wrote: »
    Has anyone tried it on Mountain Lion yet?

I may try this on an external hard drive today. If I do, I'll post again with my results..

works the same as Lion
  • cliffstahcliffstah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    works the same as Lion

Fantastic. Thanks :-)
This discussion has been closed.