What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keybinds For Dummies

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Are you sure you have reloaded the file after you made the changes?

/bind_load_file FILENAME.txt

Assuming you did that already, exactly what two powers are you trying to activate? Which one of the two does it activate, the first or second?

Gah! I have not done that. I forgot about that completely.

And it;s EPtS I&II

EDIT: Now I have Loaded it for Ground instead of Space... *facepalm*
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    When trying to create bind on my secondary character yesterday, I found that it was a bit finicky. Just try saving and loading the file a few times, and it should work itself out. Your bind looks fine, so it should definitely work as far as I can see. (Of course, it won't fire off both powers at once, since they share a cooldown, but I assume you already know that.) I had a similar problem with EngTeam I and II, but it worked itself out after I created an actual bind file.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yah it finally works. And I actually understand the bindfile now. :p
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Excellent. Another Klingon warrior has just increased in combat effeciency. Let the Feds be warned and let them flee in uncontrollable frenzied terror, like the mewling little whelps they are.

Yours in Effecient Blue Fire,
    Maktai

(With a respectful nod to the legendary Dagger of the Stars and the Rihannsu)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Being impatient, I've been trying to create keybinds before I got answers to my questions.

for navigation, I've tried things like:

/bind d -left $$ ++right

but that doesn't seem to do anything other than what "/bind d ++right" does. I was expecting the "-left" to turn off the left-hand turn, and then initiate the right-hand turn, but it seems to ignore that. I also tried reversing it so that it was "d ++right $$ -left", but no dice there either. I'm guessing it just can't be done.

But then again, I haven't been able to get ANY keybind that includes two commands to work right. I was trying to make one that gave myself EngTeamII or EngTeamI, and it works once, right after I create it. (It gives me EngTeamII if that's avaialable, but then if I create that keybind while EngTeamII is on cooldown, it skips it, and gives me EngTeamI instead.) However, it never works after that. So, I know I'm creating it correctly, since it DOES work once, but I don't get why it doesn't work after that.

Now, I haven't saved a keybind file, is that a necessary step? (I was just trying to get used to keybinds before I bothered to save a file.)

How about these binds:

/bind shift+d "++right$$left 0"
    /bind shift+a "right 0$$++left"
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Peter42 wrote:
    Everything seemed to work fine, but I still have at least once a day glitches with the quick tray (row 7 in this case). The transwarp skills to DS9, K7, SB39 you get while leveling a diplomat just vanish ... :-(

Sometimes I feel like driving a car and my gear changes randomly ... I can't belief that this is a feature :confused:

But at least my fighting skills seems to stay where I want them to be :)

I had a similar issue... When you have multiple copies of the same transwarp, one of them disappears. Just go through the trays and make sure you only have one of each type. "Transwarp to DS9" "K7", etc...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tranceaddict,

Do you happen to know the keybind command to warp to sector space and/or beam up to the ship?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BDS wrote:
    tranceaddict,

Do you happen to know the keybind command to warp to sector space and/or beam up to the ship?

Not that I have found. But, that's not to say they are not there; they should be. Clicking on the window button should have a command attached to it.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok tried my first bindfile keybinding and have been balked by limited space. The bind
    Space "+TrayExecByTray 1 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 7 $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields " can only be this long.

Is this the limit to the amount of items one can bind in a chain?
    It works, I merely can't add more to it in the way of +TrayExecByTray x x comands and have those new ones function.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Roach wrote: »
    Ok tried my first bindfile keybinding and have been balked by limited space. The bind
    Space "+TrayExecByTray 1 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 7 $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields " can only be this long.

Is this the limit to the amount of items one can bind in a chain?
    It works, I merely can't add more to it in the way of +TrayExecByTray x x comands and have those new ones function.

It shouldn't be limited. I believe that I had a fire bar of the same variety. I will do some tests; lemme get back to you on that.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It shouldn't be limited. I believe that I had a fire bar of the same variety. I will do some tests; lemme get back to you on that.

Well this is my first foray into /bind files. I usaully use the chatbar for entering my Keybinds and the KB in my bind.txt file are those same ones I entered via chatbar.
    Could that be having a limiting effect on them, even after I typed "keybind.txt" command to make a text file of my Keybinds in the LIVE folder?
    Thanks for any help you may be able to give.:)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ...It seems I'd have to set a hotkey to switch each channel...
    I've set up my keybinds like this:
    Ctrl+X "alias startChannel "channel_setcurrent {}$$startchat""
    Ctrl+T "startChannel Team"
    Ctrl+G "startChannel Guild"
    Ctrl+O "startChannel OmegaXIII"
    Ctrl+X re-creates the alias /startChannel which is used by the other keybinds to set the channel and immediately initiate the chatbox waiting my input.

Using these binds means I don't have to manually select the channel from the chatbox and I'll never miss-tell again. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well this is my first foray into /bind files. I usaully use the chatbar for entering my Keybinds and the KB in my bind.txt file are those same ones I entered via chatbar.
    Could that be having a limiting effect on them, even after I typed "keybind.txt" command to make a text file of my Keybinds in the LIVE folder?
    Thanks for any help you may be able to give.:)

There is an inherent limitation when using the chat window. There is the character limitation (not sure the exact length but ...) to what you can put in the chatline. Hence, the reason some of our ... hmmm, colorful ... responses to Mikey get cutoff. :p So, you cannot enter a keybind any longer than the chat line will allow for. I also haven't found any restriction with 10+ commands in any of my lines when entered through a bindfile.

Remember also, if you do not clear a bind ( /unbind <key> -or- /unbind all ) through the chat window, that bind will remain active until cleared or overwritten. For example, say you bind: '/bind 3 +TrayExecByTray 0 0' through the chat window; thus, every time you hit the 3-key you will activate that ability. If, later, you want to move that ability and rebind it to another key say: '/bind 9 +TrayExecByTray 0 0'. You could hit either the 3-key or the 9-key to activate the given ability. You would need to '/unbind 3' or rebind the 3-key to eliminate activation of said ability.

This is why I work solely inside the bindfile itself. Inside a bindfile you are looking at everything that is bound. Any modifications are clearly identifiable. If you want to move an ability from one key to another, you just copy/paste anything between quotes; leave the previous binding as <key> "" to clear the bind when the file is next loaded.

The "/bind_file_save" command will save your currently keybinds as they exist at that time in-game. The resultant file is (to say the least) confusing and disorganized. Take a look at a couple of my bind files:

ZVSRKG.txt

ZVSRKA.txt

Note how I have separated similar functions with headings. The headings will be ignored by STO. This will help you to keep track of where/what you are doing in the file. So, if you change an ability you'll know where to go to adjust the new file. With the above, you'll note the only difference between the two files is the 'G' and 'A'. This tells me which Sci BOff is included in which file. If I change Sci BOff 'A' abilities (TSS1 & TSS2) I know where to go and what to modify; in this case, either +TrayExecByTray 2 4 or +TrayExecByTray 2 5.

I'm sure this is a lot of info; so, if you are confused just let me know and I'll work with you.

LordOfPit wrote: »
    I've set up my keybinds like this:
    Ctrl+X "alias startChannel "channel_setcurrent {}$$startchat""
    Ctrl+T "startChannel Team"
    Ctrl+G "startChannel Guild"
    Ctrl+O "startChannel OmegaXIII"
    Ctrl+X re-creates the alias /startChannel which is used by the other keybinds to set the channel and immediately initiate the chatbox waiting my input.

Using these binds means I don't have to manually select the channel from the chatbox and I'll never miss-tell again. ;)

Okay, now this is the sauce. I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.

How would you define the commands:

Alias
    StartChannel
    Channel_SetCurrent
    StartChat

Feel free to edit:

STO Command List

• Options
    edited March 2011

The "/bind_file_save" command will save your currently keybinds as they exist at that time in-game. The resultant file is (to say the least) confusing and disorganized.

I take it that after saving my KB file , I can then enter it erase it and fill it with my new keybinds directly?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I take it that after saving my KB file , I can then enter it erase it and fill it with my new keybinds directly?

Yeah, just use a simple text editor like notepad. I wouldn't recommend erasing everything and starting over as you might delete something and either 1) not rebind it or 2) fail to clear the existing bind. Instead, try grouping similar functions together by opening another notepad window and copy/paste as you go through your file line-by-line. Two things will happen: 1) you won't misplace/mis-bind/not clear binds; 2) you'll become intimately familiar with your bindfile quickly.

Or, you can erase it all and start from scratch. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tranceaddict,

First, this is one hell of a guide, very nice job and conga rats to you.

Second, the question, I have setup several keybinds thsnks to your guide BUT something went different at the very beggining

You told in your guide, that when you save current keybind setting, ALL keybinds should appear, even blanks ones, but for me that is not working.
    When I save to file, all I get is the binds I have actually made myself and no others...

Can you help me with that?

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Having much better time now and my ground keybinds are back to normal. Thanks

Disregard the rest as I figured out the /bind_load_file <filename>.txt command and everything works great.:D

I got one bind to work for my spacebar: It works great.
    space "+TrayExecByTray 1 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 5 $$ $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 7 $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields "

But these don't work at all;
    shift "+TrayExecByTray 0 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 3 $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields "

z "+TrayExecByTray 0 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 2 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 8 $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields "

c "+TrayExecByTray 2 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 2 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 2 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 2 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 2 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 0 $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields "

What looks wrong to you on the three versus the one that works?
    Possibly wrong key description?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    cenovita wrote: »
    tranceaddict,

First, this is one hell of a guide, very nice job and conga rats to you.

Second, the question, I have setup several keybinds thsnks to your guide BUT something went different at the very beggining

You told in your guide, that when you save current keybind setting, ALL keybinds should appear, even blanks ones, but for me that is not working.
    When I save to file, all I get is the binds I have actually made myself and no others...

Can you help me with that?

Thank you!

I've heard of this happening, but have never been able to replicate it myself. That said, there are two ways to go about getting a complete bindfile:

#1 Go to your Options:Keybinds and "Reset to Defaults". Now, resave a file, but don't overwrite the one you have ... make it like filename2.txt. That new file should contain all the default keybinds. Now, you can just change what needs to be changed.

#2 Type "/unbind all" in the chat window. (This does the same thing as "Reset to Defaults".) Reload your existing bind file. Now, save a file and it should contain everything (original and modified).
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I know that the author has probably heard this before but I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post all this wonderful information.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    rooster75 wrote:
    I know that the author has probably heard this before but I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post all this wonderful information.

I have, but you can keep it coming. I won't complain. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Alias
    StartChannel
    Channel_SetCurrent
    StartChat
    Please note that StartChannel is in itself an alias while the other commands already exist in the STO client out of the box.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is there a keybind that will set all of your BOs on passive mode?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is there a keybind that will set all of your BOs on passive mode?

Unfortunately, there is no keybind system currently available for ground. Supposedly, that is being worked into Season4 ground revamp.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My Keybind issues have returned.
    My Space KB has gotten into my Ground KB and I can not remove or reset them. /unbind all & ResetToDefaults does not work at all, the KB's remain.
    Even if load my bind file a new, the problem remains.

Should I try /unbind local while on the ground?

suggestions?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Unfortunately, there is no keybind system currently available for ground. Supposedly, that is being worked into Season4 ground revamp.

I'm afraid I don't understand your statement, there is a keybind command that sets your entire ground crew to aggressive (/bind (key) PetCommands_SetAllPetsStance 0 Aggressive). It works very well, but there seems to be no passive counterpart.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What's the difference between TrayExecByTray # # command that you use in your examples and the UseTraySlot# # command that the game specifies as the manual command for the toolbar slots in the keybinds window?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My Keybind issues have returned.
    My Space KB has gotten into my Ground KB and I can not remove or reset them. /unbind all & ResetToDefaults does not work at all, the KB's remain.
    Even if load my bind file a new, the problem remains.

Should I try /unbind local while on the ground?

suggestions?

I know of someone else that has said that his keybinds have migrated without action. Try removing all your user-created bindfiles from the "Live" directory. I have another file in the "Star Trek Online" folder (one level higher) that is called "Player Adds". I use this for storing anything I do to modify the "Live" folder; this is good place to drop all your bindfiles.

Once you have the bindfiles cleared from the Live folder go in to STO and '/unbind all'. Do this in both space and on ground. Then immediately exit the program; don't do anything other than exit after the last unbind. Restart STO and see where you stand. Let me know what happens.

I'm afraid I don't understand your statement, there is a keybind command that sets your entire ground crew to aggressive (/bind (key) PetCommands_SetAllPetsStance 0 Aggressive). It works very well, but there seems to be no passive counterpart.

Sorry, I was thinking you wanted to control your BO abilities on the ground like you do in space. Logic would dictate that a similar command should exist; something like :/PetCommands_SetAllPetsStance 1 Passive. Unfortunately, I have (as I'm sure you have) gone through every possible permutation logically conceivable and came up short. I even moved on to the "PetCommands_SetSpecificPetStance <int> <int> <string>" and tried those ... nothing. Sorry, if I come up with something I'll let you know.
    What's the difference between TrayExecByTray # # command that you use in your examples and the UseTraySlot# # command that the game specifies as the manual command for the toolbar slots in the keybinds window?

Nothing, but syntax. The UseTraySlot command requires the syntax UsetraySlot# # vs. +TrayExecByTray # #; notice the space between the end of the command and the first #. Back when I started I didn't make that distinction and so TEBT worked for me while UTS didn't. In the guide I say, "Remember: Syntax is King." and these commands are a perfect example.

Something to note, I use a *******ized version of TEBT. TEBT happens to be what I refer to as a toggle command. If not toggled on ('+'), the command actually requires three values. The true syntax for TEBT is TrayExecByTray # # #. Where the 1st# is always a '1' for activation and the next two are the Tray and Slot designations. The '+' that I use at the beginning activates the command just like the '1'.

After so long using +TrayExecByTray it is more a matter of habit than correctness.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I know of someone else that has said that his keybinds have migrated without action. Try removing all your user-created bindfiles from the "Live" directory. I have another file in the "Star Trek Online" folder (one level higher) that is called "Player Adds". I use this for storing anything I do to modify the "Live" folder; this is good place to drop all your bindfiles.

Once you have the bindfiles cleared from the Live folder go in to STO and '/unbind all'. Do this in both space and on ground. Then immediately exit the program; don't do anything other than exit after the last unbind. Restart STO and see where you stand. Let me know what happens.

I did so.
    Removed my other Kbind files, unbinded all, shutdown, started back up and loaded the original Keybind file and all works again as normal. It seems to TRIBBLE up when I load my alt bind files, such as my KeybindsRaptor bind file or my KeybindsSciBoP bind files. Those are copies of the basic keybind file altered for those specific vessels and it only screws up after I have loaded one or the other.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bind x "gensendmessage root showfleet"

Show fleet window

Bind x "$$GenJailAdd HUD_Weapons_Root"

Show weapons tray (useful if you have the 3 row and still want to see the weapons tray)

Bind x "$$Throttleadjust .xx"

Where xx can be any integer it seems (including minus figures) to adjust your throttle by different increments.

I use it in this example where it throws me in full reverse with EM and switch to engine power setting

b "$$Throttletoggle$$Throttleadjust -.50$$StatsPreset_Load Preset_3$$+TrayExecByTray 0 2"

On my escort I set Q and E to toggle my throttle by values of +/-0.125 instead of the default 0.25 so I get access 8 speed settings rather than the normal 4, for a little more fine control.

/navtoxyz X Y Z Distance

I haven't found any useful application for this yet, but it appears to be the autopilot command.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I have couple things to say first:

1. get away from autofire. there is no reason for anyone to be using this feature unless you are a dedicated healer who is not worried one iota about DPS. And, even then you shouldn't be doing it. You are doing your team a disservice because they can use all the focus fire they can get. About the only thing that should ever be put on autofire is a turret.

2. get away from WASD. it is the MOST inefficient use of effort. You can navigate much more efficiently using your mouse or joystick and use your keyboard for power activation only. Many will say otherwise, but I guarantee you can take any ship, point it in any direction AND activate powers faster than someone who WASDs and clicks to activate.

That being said, you can always do this:

w "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +invertibleup"
    a "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +left"
    s "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +invertibledown"
    d "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +right"

(this assumes you use the piloting method where pushing up (w) means your ship rotates down; exactly like fighter pilots fly.)

Regarding your "full throttle/run away" question. I have three binds that manage these features:

1. Full Impulse

Alt+e "GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle"

For this bind the "Alt+E" keycombo is used to activate Full Impulse. This does not work during combat; but it will advance the throttle to 100% regardless.

2. Full Throttle

Numpadenter "throttletoggle"

This uses the number pad enter key to toggle the throttle between 0% and 100%. Basically, it is an on/off switch for the throttle.

3. GTFOOD (Get the F out of Dodge). You probably picked this up from me in another thread:

F8 "+Power_exec Reroute_Shields_Rear $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 7 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 3 5 $$ GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle $$ +TrayExecByTray 3 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 4 $$ StatsPreset_Load Preset_3"

Here, my F8 key is used to provide me with a way out of a less than favorable situation. Remember, keybinds activate in reverse; so, in the example provided, each time I press the F8 key the activation takes place in this order:

1. (StatsPreset_Load Preset_3) Set power to max engine power;
    2. (+TrayExecByTray 3 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 4) whichever EPtS is available;
    3. (GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle) sets my throttle to 100% speed;
    4. (+TrayExecByTray 3 5) Aux2Damp;
    5. (+TrayExecByTray 8 7) Engine Battery;
    6. (+TrayExecByTray 7 0) Evasive Manuvers;
    7. (+TrayExecByTray 8 5) Deuterium Tank (if available);
    8. (+Power_exec Reroute_Shields_Rear) Buff my rear shield to cover my a$$.

Does it seem a little excessive ... not at all. When everything is in place, there is no carrier, cruiser or sci vessel that stands a chance of following me. Escorts are hard pressed to make chase.

Hope that answers your questions.

how i get this work /bind Space “GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll $$ +power_exec distribute_shields”
    but it keep getting error message that say ~Unknown command ""GenSendMessage"~ i want it fire all weapon and distribute shield on my spacebar.