What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keybinds For Dummies

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Are there any other variables besides "$target"?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Remember, keybinds activate in reverse.

That explains so much! As a suggestion, I would recommend adding that info rather prominently in the opening of the document.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Are there any other variables besides "$target"?

Can't say that I've ever needed any, but I'll look into it. Any thing particular you are interested in?

jennjahn, i've added that to the "Things to Remember" section at the end of the Intro.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Buy G13. Assign key mappings. Finished.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pasquatic wrote:
    Buy G13. Assign key mappings. Finished.

Even with this you need to bind the powers to the keys you will use to map to the G13. Besides, the G13 is about $30. My advice is free.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Even with this you need to bind the powers to the keys you will use to map to the G13. Besides, the G13 is about $30. My advice is free.

Wow, where are you getting a g13 for 30 bucks? Lowest I'm seeing em for is 72 bucks.

Which I suppose then makes your advice worth 3 times as much. Free vs 72 bucks. I'm gonna go with free.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Q: I want to be able to distribute my shields constantly during battle. You say you've done it, but you said it wasn't a toggle thingy. What gives?

A: I have bound the distribute shields command (/+power_exec Distribute_Shields) to my fire button. I use the space bar as my fire button; so everytime I press the space bar either I Fire Weapons or I activate a power. Distribute shields is one of those dozen powers.

Try this

space "GenSendMessage HUD_Rood FirePhasers $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shield"

HUD_Rood should be HUD_Root. And I think Shield should be Shields.

I copied and pasted the original into my bind file to be sure it was correct. To my surprise I couldn't fire weapons. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Holy mother of pearl! Nice thread. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    CrustyMac wrote: »

I claim fat fingers. FAT FINGERS is tell you ... FAT.

noted and corrected. thank you. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh a couple of things, I just ran across a thread where dude got a 24 hr silence for spamming keybound chat emotes. So I might suggest two things. 1st a warning 'bout doing that. 2nd someone in the thread mentioned an emote_nosay command. I've looked over the forums and haven't found how to set this up. With your wisdom, could you also talk about that.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Q: I want to be able to distribute my shields constantly during battle. You say you've done it, but you said it wasn't a toggle thingy. What gives?

A: I have bound the distribute shields command (/+power_exec Distribute_Shields) to my fire button. I use the space bar as my fire button; so everytime I press the space bar either I Fire Weapons or I activate a power. Distribute shields is one of those dozen powers.

Try this

I copied and pasted the original into my bind file to be sure it was correct. To my surprise I couldn't fire weapons. :p

Hi Crusty!

here is one of my older keybinds for using the SPacebar to fire, plus activating my damasge buffing powers that have a short CD as well. ( CRF,TT, ApB, ApD, etc). You can rearrange the "activated slots" as you see fit.

/bind space "+TrayExecByTray 1 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 7 $$ GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields "
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Can't say that I've ever needed any, but I'll look into it. Any thing particular you are interested in?
    Afraid not. This is one of these cases where you find a use for something after you know it's there.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jennjahn wrote: »
    Oh a couple of things, I just ran across a thread where dude got a 24 hr silence for spamming keybound chat emotes. So I might suggest two things. 1st a warning 'bout doing that. 2nd someone in the thread mentioned an emote_nosay command. I've looked over the forums and haven't found how to set this up. With your wisdom, could you also talk about that.

It is /emotenotext and not _nosay, sorry I didn't remember correctly.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    is there a way to chain an emote and SAY command to a single key stroke? I've tried some variations on

/bind <key> ""emotenotext combadge"$$SAY "Beam me up.""

but no dice. Suggestions?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    About cloaks: Is there a way to disable it, not just make it switch between on and off states?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I claim fat fingers. FAT FINGERS is tell you ... FAT.

noted and corrected. thank you. :)

No problem. And thank you for making this easy for an old porcine like myself to understand.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Roach wrote: »
    Hi Crusty!

here is one of my older keybinds for using the SPacebar to fire, plus activating my damasge buffing powers that have a short CD as well. ( CRF,TT, ApB, ApD, etc). You can rearrange the "activated slots" as you see fit.

/bind space "+TrayExecByTray 1 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 7 $$ GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll $$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields "

Thanks for this. I'll have to look and see it there is anything I want to use this for. Just got the fire+distribute shields to work, and now have a three row tool bar in addition to my BOs showing up. It may be too much change for me to absorb all at once. I kept forgetting to F5 in PvP last night and wouldn't notice that I hadn't used my weapons overload skills until half way into the match.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh, and something else I found out: if you purchased STO through Steam - which I did - your Live folder may be in a completely different location, which may or may not be found with Windows Explorer's search function.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for this. I'll have to look and see it there is anything I want to use this for. Just got the fire+distribute shields to work, and now have a three row tool bar in addition to my BOs showing up. It may be too much change for me to absorb all at once. I kept forgetting to F5 in PvP last night and wouldn't notice that I hadn't used my weapons overload skills until half way into the match.

here is one of my other KB's I use to spacebar fire,

/bind space "+TrayExecByTray 1 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 4 $$ GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers$$ +Power_Exec Distribute_Shields "

TEBT 1 0 = ApB1
    TEBT 1 1 = TI 3
    TEBT 1 2 = THY1
    TEBT 1 3 = (can't remember)
    TEBT 1 4 = CRF3

This way it cycles all my short cooldown damage buffing abilites as well as firing all energy weapons (leaving torps for manual shots) and distributes shields to all facings. Unfortunately I can't remember the all the powers and will update tommorrow. This arrangement works for me very well and still allows for the manual buffing before Alpha strike.

then keep BO3, ApO1 and other such abilities on a single key basis for use when needed.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    /bind_load_file C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\<filename>.txt

I was just re-reading this and remembered 2 things.

1) The example path is from Windows 7, it is different is other versions of windows

2) Remember this "<your user name>" is your windows user name, not your STO user name. You would have to have a windows account in your STO user name in order for the above to work.

Just trying to make sure everyone understands.....

Tommy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Afraid not. This is one of these cases where you find a use for something after you know it's there.

The only other commands that I know of which use a target variable are:

Assist <name>
    name = the name of your target

Assist Zed

Target <name>

Target Zed

As far as I can tell, Assist <name> is useless. Target <name> might be useful for PvP matches if you know who your opponents are ahead of time. I'd just use Target_Enemy_Near & Target_Enemy_Next or Target_Enemy_Prev.

================================================================================

Pendra, Noted. I'll add something to the chat portion warning of this. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jennjahn wrote: »
    is there a way to chain an emote and SAY command to a single key stroke? I've tried some variations on

/bind <key> ""emotenotext combadge"$$SAY "Beam me up.""

but no dice. Suggestions?

Alright, so initially I'd say part of your problem is the syntax; the quotes aren't necessary and you're missing spaces.

Try:

/bind <key> emote_notext combadge $$ SAY Beam me up.

BUT

I've tried this in every combination I can think of and get fail. When I first bind the chat comes through. When I activate the bind nothing happens. So, I'm beginning to think there is something about emotes that preclude chaining them in a bind.

I'll work more with it and let you know.

Sidenote:

Channelsend <channel> can be used to direct chat to a user-generated chat channel.

Ex.

/channelsend OrganizedPvP Get Mikey.

effect: Get Mikey. will appear in the OrganizePvP channel.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, you know how the OP wrote write in the beginning that you cannot break the game? I may have discovered the exception to that rule. I updated my keybind file with this line:

o “+TrayExecByTray 8 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 2 +TrayExecByTray 8 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 8 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 9 $$”

The result is that the game crashed and since has kept crashing each time I log in the character in question. Other characters work fine.

Now I don't mean to cry wolf for nothing and the crashes may be completely unrelated. It would help me however if somebody with experience could have a look at the syntax and tell me if there is something wrong with it? The idea was to have a whole tray that i can just fill with the skills i want to trigger and easily change those as i try different specs. So for example i pull all my alpha strike buffs into bar 9 from the power tray. That way I dont have to change my power setup. They should then all get triggered, from power 1 to power 10.

Also, if anybody has had this kind of crash and knows what to do about it I would much appreciate it. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tombargo wrote: »
    o “+TrayExecByTray 8 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 2 +TrayExecByTray 8 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 5 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 6 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 8 $$ +TrayExecByTray 8 9 $$”

You need to loose the last set of $$ at the end. It should end be " ... 8 9".

As far as the crash goes, I think they are unrelated. But, go to your live folder. Make a copy of your bind file (with the change) and save it somewhere. (I have a folder C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Player Adds" where I store any changes I make to the Live folder.) Next, delete the bindfile(s) from your Live folder.

Finally, launch STO but don't log in. Click "Options" and checkoff Force Verify (you can reverse this the next time you log in.) Log in. If you still crash, repeat the above but use "Safemode". This will launch the game in reduced graphics and you should be good.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You need to loose the last set of $$ at the end. It should end be " ... 8 9".

As far as the crash goes, I think they are unrelated. But, go to your live folder. Make a copy of your bind file (with the change) and save it somewhere. (I have a folder C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Player Adds" where I store any changes I make to the Live folder.) Next, delete the bindfile(s) from your Live folder.

Finally, launch STO but don't log in. Click "Options" and checkoff Force Verify (you can reverse this the next time you log in.) Log in. If you still crash, repeat the above but use "Safemode". This will launch the game in reduced graphics and you should be good.

Thanks for the fast reply. I followed your instructions but the crashes keep happening. Even in safemode I went right back to desktop. What I find strange is that my other characters work fine. Any more ideas?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Any more ideas?

see your in-game mail.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    see your in-game mail.

Thanks for that. In the meantime I have come across some more issues I would appreciate your help with.

in >options>keybinds there are 12 slots per column but in game I see a maxium of 10. Since I cannot drag powers into the last 2, how can I use them?

Can I just assign shortcuts to more rows beyond the first 3? And if yes, is the way to do it simply making a keybind command for each key, thus assigning shift-ctrl to each key in row 4, ctrl-alt to each in row 5 and so on?

I am a bit confused about which commands in a a string of commands execute automatically and which require repeated tapping.

I am grateful for any clarification.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I must be doing something wrong because when I use your commands for activating a specific slot of a specific tray I just get: Unknown command "�+TrayExecByTray".

The command in question is: numpad2 “+TrayExecByTray 0 1”
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    in >options>keybinds there are 12 slots per column but in game I see a maximum of 10. Since I cannot drag powers into the last 2, how can I use them?

You would be referring to the minus (-) and equals (=) keys. These are hold overs from CO where you would have a 12-key powertray. Unfortunately, Cryptic only saw fit to provide STO with a 10-key powertray. If you would like to assign these keys for use you can. To bind these key use the following:

the minus key is represented by '-' (the minus sign)

/bind - ....

the equals key by 'equals' (the word)

/bind equals ...
    Can I just assign shortcuts to more rows beyond the first 3? And if yes, is the way to do it simply making a keybind command for each key, thus assigning shift-ctrl to each key in row 4, ctrl-alt to each in row 5 and so on?

Let me say this First, when it comes to key combinations you can only use pairings; i.e. 1+2, control+5, alt+s, etc. If you attempt to create a keybind with more than two (2) keystrokes, the system will only recognize the first two keys. (Good question; I'll update the guide with this information.)

You can use the other trays for holding powers to be assigned. I have all my BO and Captain abilities assigned to trays 3 - 10. You can go here to see an example of my power tray mapping.

Here is an example of my Engineering Team binds:

j "Target_Self $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 5"
    k "Target_Teammate 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 5"
    l "Target_teammate 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 5"
    ' "TargeT_Teammate 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 5"
    return "Target_Teammate 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 4 5"

The other rows 4-0 can be accessed with the TrayExecByTray command and assigning keybinds like control+S or alt+C or shift+O. Note: you can even go so far as lshift+T or rshift+T and lalt+ or ralt+. The control-key cannot be broken into left and right keys.

I am a bit confused about which commands in a string of commands execute automatically and which require repeated tapping.

This is a little hairy and even I haven't completely figured it out. From what I have observed, there are a few factors: 1) length of the keybind; 2) position within the keybind; and 3) activation time of the power. A power is more likely to activate with the initial stroke if it is: 1) a short keybind (ex. a HY bind); 2) among the first to be activated (those listed last in a long keybind); 3) the activation time is short (i.e. short being <.5s).

I'll add this in some where as well.

Thanks for the good questions; everyone can benefit from these.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Neuropain wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong because when I use your commands for activating a specific slot of a specific tray I just get: Unknown command "�+TrayExecByTray".

The command in question is: numpad2 “+TrayExecByTray 0 1”

Not sure what is happening here, but the syntax is correct and when I copy/paste it works.

Make sure you are using notepad when editing the file the "�" tells me you are using some other program and a non-printing character is being inserted that STO is failing on.