test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Keybinds For Dummies

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    When I /bind_save_file keybinds_space.txt Or /bind whatever.txt I get an empty file.. What gives?
    edited January 2011
    Gurga wrote:
    When I /bind_save_file keybinds_space.txt Or /bind whatever.txt I get an empty file.. What gives?

/bind is only used for binding keys not retrieving files.

When you /bind_save_file <filename>, the <filename> is saved to your STO Live folder. Navigate there and open your file.
    edited January 2011
    /bind is only used for binding keys not retrieving files.

When you /bind_save_file <filename>, the <filename> is saved to your STO Live folder. Navigate there and open your file.

ok.. That's what I did, cut and paste what you wrote, except, i replaced <filename> with BINDS.txt and the file only has one line, is this normal??
    edited January 2011
    First off...thanks for the information.

I noticed that after loading the bind file that the little labels on the HUD display(that correspond with the key) have disappeared. Is there a way to get these to show? I notice when I set them in the chat window that the labels still exist.

Also are there other keybinds that you are aware of to change the size and shape of other HUD items?

Note: I have used the ones you have already posted.
    edited January 2011
    First off...thanks for the information.

I noticed that after loading the bind file that the little labels on the HUD display(that correspond with the key) have disappeared. Is there a way to get these to show? I notice when I set them in the chat window that the labels still exist.

Also are there other keybinds that you are aware of to change the size and shape of other HUD items?

Note: I have used the ones you have already posted.

IF you use a key combo that is on the first three trays (Alt+1, Control+8, 5), that label will be removed because it is no longer associated with the tray slot.

The only other HUD command that I can give you is: /GenJailUnlock <bin>

1 is unlocked; 0 is locked

Activating this will allow you to reposition the HUD elements. Here is a pic of my redistributed HUD.
    edited January 2011
    Interesting layout. I noticed the power silders, do you find yourself using them more often then if you just locked in some settings?
    edited January 2011

IF you use a key combo that is on the first three trays (Alt+1, Control+8, 5), that label will be removed because it is no longer associated with the tray slot.

The only other HUD command that I can give you is: /GenJailUnlock <bin>

1 is unlocked; 0 is locked

Activating this will allow you to reposition the HUD elements. Here is a pic of my redistributed HUD.

Thank you....I was really hoping to have trays 4-10 have the mini labels as well. I only wrote the bind file for trays 4-10, so 1-3 still have them. I just thought with so many options it would be nice to have that little reminder there.

The /GenJailUnlock bind is great....much easier to rearrange that way then with the options menu method....wonder why they dont make it the standard. It doesnt make sense to rearrange binds based on big yellow squares that dont quite match up to the image once switched back to normal view.

Anyhow...thanks again...I never knew anything about key binds before this, and now I feel like I have a good grip on it...lots to learn, but a good base. Thanks
    edited January 2011
    jennjahn wrote: »
    Interesting layout. I noticed the power silders, do you find yourself using them more often then if you just locked in some settings?

I don't manually adjust each slider. I have my presets bound to F9 - F12, respectively. That was one of the first things (along with Teammate targeting) that I did through Options:Keybinds menu; so I've been adjusting power levels the entire game.

I've started playing with a way to set each slider incrementally. Hopefully, I'll be able to adjust each one with minute precision so I can make those 123 power levels ... 125s. I'll let you know.

Thank you....I was really hoping to have trays 4-10 have the mini labels as well. I only wrote the bind file for trays 4-10, so 1-3 still have them. I just thought with so many options it would be nice to have that little reminder there.

The /GenJailUnlock bind is great....much easier to rearrange that way then with the options menu method....wonder why they dont make it the standard. It doesnt make sense to rearrange binds based on big yellow squares that dont quite match up to the image once switched back to normal view.

Anyhow...thanks again...I never knew anything about key binds before this, and now I feel like I have a good grip on it...lots to learn, but a good base. Thanks

Yeah it might be nice to see, but fairly impractical. You'd only be able to see 3 rows at any given time. If you notice, my power tray displays my captain powers and the sundries like devices and batteries and such. This setup allows me to: 1) track of my cooldowns; 2) track my BO cooldowns through the brigdgecrew tray and 3) monitor my weapons.

The "Power Tray Layout" document lets me maintain all powers relative to the BO. I maintain a distinct keyboard mapping for powers so my keyboard activation sequences remain the same. (You should see the notes scribbled and paper taped to keys. :D ) If I change something, the new power is in the old power's location which makes it extremely easy to make changes to the multiple bind files I maintain for each toon. I can switch out any given BO at any time. I merely load a file Z#####.txt (Z=Zed; #= first letter of BO name) and have a new setup. This lets me change things up in PvP quickly; so, you'll wonder where that Tyken's Rift is coming from. :p

Thank you for the kind words. If I make you a better player ... I have to get that much better to stay ahead. :cool:
    edited January 2011
    I am interested in binding my self destruct power to all of my keys, how would I go about doing this? ;)
    edited January 2011
    was wondering if you knew of a way to bind the mouse look(the two button press that controls the ship) in space to a key so I dont have to hold down both buttons to fly the ship. I would rather have a toggle but I cant figure it out.
    edited January 2011
    Krizonar wrote:
    I am interested in binding my self destruct power to all of my keys, how would I go about doing this? ;)
    It's simple just use the command /faceroll.

Now, stop trying to hijak my thread my fleetie. :D

was wondering if you knew of a way to bind the mouse look(the two button press that controls the ship) in space to a key so I dont have to hold down both buttons to fly the ship. I would rather have a toggle but I cant figure it out.

No, there isn't. Another player has the same difficulty (Space mouse control fatigue ). I've been looking into this problem and I am unable to find a way to emulate the Left+Right Click special key.

Cursor position is controlled by the mouse. It is when the click is made that the screen becomes active. Without the click the mouse is useless. So, while the click can be copied the release of said click cannot.
    edited January 2011
    TA,

As a newbie getting through STO I would like to thank you for all the work you have done here. Still a way to go on PvP but practice and keybinds are helping.

B
    edited January 2011
    Very good read, thank you for doing this!

I am wondering though if you can bind a key to activate a boff ground skill?
    I run an engineering team and would like to hotkey their turret skills so i dont have to mouse click on them all.
    Is that at all possible?
    edited January 2011
    Gamelvarg wrote:
    Very good read, thank you for doing this!

I am wondering though if you can bind a key to activate a boff ground skill?

Unfortunately, no. Cryptic did not give us the same degree of control on the ground that we currently enjoy in space. There is a rumor that, with the up coming ground combat changes, that will be rectified. When/If that happens, I'll be all over it.

I don't exactly care for ground combat, but that one change would reignite my interest.
    edited January 2011
    Note for the targeting keybind (sorry if its been mentioned before) i use

/bind t team <<< Destoy $target >>>

so when you target a guy called AGUY and press T it will say in team chat <<< Destoy AGUY>>>
    edited January 2011
    can you bind ctrl+<key> to stand for a bind command/string?
    edited January 2011
    KazumaKat wrote:
    can you bind ctrl+<key> to stand for a bind command/string?

Yep. But, you have to spell it out. You can also use specific modifier keys as well.

To use the Shift key:
    Shift+<key>
    Lshift+<key>
    Rshift+<key>

To use the Control key:
    Control+<key>
    Lcontrol+<key>
    Rcontrol+<key>

To use the Alt Key:
    Alt+<key>

edited January 2011

If you look in the ingame keybind menu you can find the setting for this. I made mine so that toggling my 4th mouse button locks and unlocks my camera to my mouse and then I made my right click hold move the ship. I'm not sure if there is a written variant of this, but that's how I changed it.

To the player wishing to use the labels on the tooltrays, if you use the command "UseTraySlot# #" instead of the "TrayExecByTray# #" command it will apply the label to the power.

Now a question for the op: do you know what phrase is necessary for the top row of numpad keys? I'm meaning the * / and - commands. I haven't been able to find a phrase the works for any of the numpad keys aside from the numbers and + and enter.
    edited January 2011
    Hi

Can you help me set up a chat bind? I want to hit the B Key and have it activate my chat bar to send a message to the Accolades Global channel.

I know its /bind B but what's the paramater after that?
    edited January 2011
    Hi

Can you help me set up a chat bind? I want to hit the B Key and have it activate my chat bar to send a message to the Accolades Global channel.

I know its /bind B but what's the paramater after that?

/bind <key> ChannelSend <channel name> <message>

Assuming the name of the channel is "Accolades Global" ...

/bind b ChannelSend Accolades Global <message>

@TheKalamity, I apologize, I have been a bit lax tending to this tread. Give me a day or two. I'll get back to you.
    edited January 2011
    /bind <key> ChannelSend <channel name> <message>

Assuming the name of the channel is "Accolades Global" ...

/bind b ChannelSend Accolades Global <message>

@TheKalamity, I apologize, I have been a bit lax tending to this tread. Give me a day or two. I'll get back to you.

It's just Accolades, so I'm guessing its /bind b ChannelSend Accolades <message>?

Edit: Ok, I just tried that, and it spits out "message". heh.
    I don't want it to be a set message I want it to send the message I type after hitting B

The same way you can send a message to Fleet chat with /fleet or a /tell when your chat bar is set to another channel.

How can I do that?
    And thanks again.
    edited January 2011
    It's just Accolades, so I'm guessing its /bind b ChannelSend Accolades <message>?

Edit: Ok, I just tried that, and it spits out "message". heh.
    I don't want it to be a set message I want it to send the message I type after hitting B

The same way you can send a message to Fleet chat with /fleet or a /tell when your chat bar is set to another channel.

How can I do that?
    And thanks again.

Unfortunately, you can't get exactly what you are wanting; but, there is a workable method. You are gonna have to use a two-step process and do it the other way around. Use this:

/bind <key> channel_setcurrent <string>

This will change the channel selector to the channel specified by <string>. Next, go to your Options:KeyBinds and set the "Start Chatting" bind to a desired key; this is under "Miscellaneous" (at the bottom). By default this is set to Enter (the return-key).

So this would allow you to strike 'B' (setting the channel selector to Accolades), then strike Enter (activating the chat window), type your message and send.

Ifyou look in the ingame keybind menu you can find the setting for this. I made mine so that toggling my 4th mouse button locks and unlocks my camera to my mouse and then I made my right click hold move the ship. I'm not sure if there is a written variant of this, but that's how I changed it.

I think he's looking for a way to not use the mouse left or right buttons. There is no way to navigate without using one or both of the buttons. These are what tell the system to "pay attention" to the mouse.

To the player wishing to use the labels on the tooltrays, if you use the command "UseTraySlot# #" instead of the "TrayExecByTray# #" command it will apply the label to the power.

I have never been able to get the UseTraySlot # # to work properly. You will continually get "trayexecbytraynotifyaudio <int> <int> <int> <string> <string>" because there is supposed to be a "ding" sound went the command is activated.

P.S. Still working on your request.
    edited January 2011
    Unfortunately, you can't get exactly what you are wanting; but, there is a workable method. You are gonna have to use a two-step process and do it the other way around. Use this:

/bind <key> channel_setcurrent <string>

This will change the channel selector to the channel specified by <string>. Next, go to your Options:KeyBinds and set the "Start Chatting" bind to a desired key; this is under "Miscellaneous" (at the bottom). By default this is set to Enter (the return-key).

So this would allow you to strike 'B' (setting the channel selector to Accolades), then strike Enter (activating the chat window), type your message and send.

Aww really? Man that sucks. Back in City of Heroes all you had to do was add a /say parameter after the channel name.
    Thanks again for your help. The reason I wanted a hotkey bind for this is I'm often chatting in multiple channels and I usually don't want to change my current bar from Fleet or Team or Zone. No matter what channel I'm in I can always type /fleet or /team, but often i forget and end up mistelling to Accolades.

It seems I'd have to set a hotkey to switch each channel...
    edited January 2011
    Now a question for the op: do you know what phrase is necessary for the top row of numpad keys? I'm meaning the * / and - commands. I haven't been able to find a phrase the works for any of the numpad keys aside from the numbers and + and enter.

For '/' use 'Divide'
    For '*' use 'Multiply'
    For '-' use 'Subtract'

Also ...

For 'Num Lock' use 'Pause'
    edited January 2011

I have never been able to get the UseTraySlot # # to work properly. You will continually get "trayexecbytraynotifyaudio <int> <int> <int> <string> <string>" because there is supposed to be a "ding" sound went the command is activated.

P.S. Still working on your request.

Really? Because I've had no issues with it, perhaps theres some variation between your code and mine?
    edited February 2011
    No matter what channel I'm in I can always type /fleet or /team, but often i forget and end up mistelling to Accolades..

Naah Chief, we just ignore your mistells :D
    edited February 2011
    Hi, great thread here read through and found very interesting. I have a specific goal for a keybind in mind and I will try it later but I wanted to get some feedback.

As you may know, with two versions of two of the Emergency Power to ____, you can have the power bonus to both systems up 100% of the time (30 second system cooldown, 15 second global, 30 second power boost...) (except for the first 15 seconds)

Remembering to activate the next power in the sequence every 15 seconds is difficult especially with so much going on, so I would like to automate it as much as possible. What I am considering here is a keybind to a key that I commonly use (say, spacebar) that still performs its origonal task (fire weapons) that also attempts to activate ALL 4 of the emergency power powers. Of course it will only activate one and the rest will go on global cooldown, but as I am frequently pushing the button (space) it will always activate the next in the sequence as it becomes available. Without further ado...

/bind Space GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll && +TrayExecByTray C1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray C1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray C1 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray C1 4 $$

Where the first four slots in my control quick bar are like EPtSIII, EPtWI, EPtSIII(2nd copy), EPtWI (2nd copy)

Well, what say you? Will this work as I'm thinking it will? Is there a better key to bind to? I was also considering both turn keys as they get alot of use, or maybe even multiple keys?
    edited February 2011
    Hi, great thread here read through and found very interesting. I have a specific goal for a keybind in mind and I will try it later but I wanted to get some feedback.

As you may know, with two versions of two of the Emergency Power to ____, you can have the power bonus to both systems up 100% of the time (30 second system cooldown, 15 second global, 30 second power boost...) (except for the first 15 seconds)

Remembering to activate the next power in the sequence every 15 seconds is difficult especially with so much going on, so I would like to automate it as much as possible. What I am considering here is a keybind to a key that I commonly use (say, spacebar) that still performs its origonal task (fire weapons) that also attempts to activate ALL 4 of the emergency power powers. Of course it will only activate one and the rest will go on global cooldown, but as I am frequently pushing the button (space) it will always activate the next in the sequence as it becomes available. Without further ado...

/bind Space GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll && +TrayExecByTray C1 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray C1 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray C1 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray C1 4 $$

Where the first four slots in my control quick bar are like EPtSIII, EPtWI, EPtSIII(2nd copy), EPtWI (2nd copy)

Well, what say you? Will this work as I'm thinking it will? Is there a better key to bind to? I was also considering both turn keys as they get alot of use, or maybe even multiple keys?

PicardTheIIIrd, Yes. What you want will work. There will be no downtime whatsoever. You do need to modify your bind to this:

/bind Space GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll && +TrayExecByTray 0 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 4

Commands are referenced by Tray and Slot; so, assuming you are in the first tray, your 'C1' should be '0'
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the guide, it's great. I have a very noobish question.

I understand that commands are supposed to execute in reverse order. That is, the last command listed in a sequence will be the one that activates when you press the key for the first time.

So why does this work?

; "TargetTeammate 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 7"

Wouldn't it execute the power in Tray 0 7 on the first press, then the power on Tray 1 7, then target teammmate 3 on the third press? Wouldn't you want to target your teammmate first before applying the power?

Is it only the +TrayExecByTray command that executes in reverse order?
    edited February 2011
    I should change that. When a thread over 5-6 items long it works in last to first. When 4 or 5 it can't make up its mind. And, when 2 or 3 (sometime 4 & 5) it works first to last. I'm beginning to believe it is supposed to work first to last, but bugs over a given length.