Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    q w e r t y u i o p a s d f g h j k l z x c v b n m

should be binded to /tell era@uglyhealboat HEAL ME PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    All my letters are bound to self destruct.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Krizonar wrote:
    "Break enemy Starship's windows with the power of metal."

Is that a new Science Crown Control Power, or more Tactical. :D

LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A well written tutorial about the binding of keys.

The moment I read that saving a bind file first would give the default bindings, looked like a solution for a very annoying problem I encounter every now and then: occassionally my space skills change position randomly or even vanish (e.g. Attack Pattern Alpha is in tray with key binding "1" but suddenly it is available via "Ctrl+2" or it is gone and I have to find it in my skill list again). I have the feeling that each time I change something which influences my space skills, a random generator positions all my skills a new. Am I the only person with this problem? And is there still a solution using key bindings?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this problem. I checked the forum and the Internet in general, to find a solution for it - with no success :-(
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Peter42 wrote:
    A well written tutorial about the binding of keys.

The moment I read that saving a bind file first would give the default bindings, looked like a solution for a very annoying problem I encounter every now and then: occassionally my space skills change position randomly or even vanish (e.g. Attack Pattern Alpha is in tray with key binding "1" but suddenly it is available via "Ctrl+2" or it is gone and I have to find it in my skill list again). I have the feeling that each time I change something which influences my space skills, a random generator positions all my skills a new. Am I the only person with this problem? And is there still a solution using key bindings?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this problem. I checked the forum and the Internet in general, to find a solution for it - with no success :-(

I'm betting that, when these changes occur, you've probably just: 1) changed ships, 2) added a BOff or 3) trained a new ability. I believe this was supposed to have been fixed? (Can someone verify that, or not?) Whenever you do something that affects the BOffs, the system automatically attempts to populate the first empty slot with the newest ability and then remove the old ability. So, if you are keeping all your powers in your first three trays, swapping BOffs will cause this to happen.

I solve that problem by putting all the powers for each officer in the EXACT same place; using trays 3-10. (All my Captain abilities are managed in tray7.) Here is an example of my powertray layout. Once you establish this, you can set your keybinds and no matter what they will stay in place. Now, all you have to manage is adding/removing BOffs. It is also very efficient in that, if I change a BOff ability, I can easily modify a bindfile because I already knowing where the ability is referenced and I can swap BOffs as often as I like.

Here are examples of two of my bindfiles.

ZVSRKA.txt

ZVSRKG.txt

The only difference between the two is the 'G' and the 'A'; which happen to be my Sci BOffs. If I want to run two copies of TShS, I use 'A'. If i want to run TShS and HE, I use 'G'. I can swap them out as many times as I like; I only need to "/bind_load_file ZVSRK?.txt" each time.

Now, if I want to change 'A' to run ST1, all I have to do is modify any reference using TraySlot 2 4 (this is where ST would overwrite the current copy of TShS). I know it was used for TShS, so I look to that section; eliminate the "+TrayExecByTray 2 4". Next, I add "+TrayExecByTray 2 4" to the Science Team section. Load the new bindfile and viola, I have a new layout without abilities shifting on me.

I hope this made sense. It is 230am and I'm a little grogy. If you need clarification, let me know or PM me.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thank you for this detailed information. This issue with trays 1 to 3 sounds promising, I will try to switch to a setting you propose and hopefully all these random replacements of my skills vanish! Otherwise you'll hear again from me :D.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Looks great so far - thanks again tranceaddict. Switched BO's multiple times and changed ship equipment without any changes - at least in the higher tray rows I populated with the skills. The only remaining issue seems to be the skill "full impulse" which vanishes the moment I change between Aegis and Borg engine?! But that at least I can work around using keybindings ...
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Peter42 wrote:
    Looks great so far - thanks again tranceaddict. Switched BO's multiple times and changed ship equipment without any changes - at least in the higher tray rows I populated with the skills. The only remaining issue seems to be the skill "full impulse" which vanishes the moment I change between Aegis and Borg engine?! But that at least I can work around using keybindings ...

Drop that from your trays; its only necessary if you click powers to activate them (of which I'm not a fan). If you go to your Options>KeyBinds menu you will find an option for full impulse and you can set it there. OR, use this:

<key> "GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle"

I use Alt+E.

Also, drop any pre-loaded stuff like your weapon (unless you want that much control) and shield distribution activations (definitely, you can use commands).

Set your power tray to 2 trays and use this:

<key> "GenSetEarlyOverrideFloat Hud_Tray_Primaryparent1 x 75 $$ gensetvalue Hud_root traysize 10 1"

This will resize your 2x8 layout for 2x10, so you can see all the powers. Rotate the bottom row to your Captain powers and the top to whatever else you want to monitor. It also brings your Bridge Officer Tray (the one with pretty colors and your BO pix) back, so you can monitor their abilities.

I used to be a proponent of the 3-layout+weapons+BOs, but I have found that this layout provides all the information needed to monitor and eliminates clutter. No need to move powers around to see them the Captains row and the BO tray handle that for you.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks! I did that with the key bindings for full impulse already. Now I enjoy a reliable skill setting during all my space fights ... thanks again. While experimenting with these settings I also recognized (although I don't know whether it is a bug or a feature :D) that I have the Quantum Slipstream of the Borg engine available even when the Aegis engine is equipped. Seems to be sufficient to have the Borg engine in the inventory :D
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    *gets out the Pritt stick and glues the thread to the top*
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Woot! Thanks Wishy!

Congrats tranceaddict!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    WishStone wrote:

Can you sticky the accolades thread too?
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Set your power tray to 2 trays and use this:

<key> "GenSetEarlyOverrideFloat Hud_Tray_Primaryparent1 x 75 $$ gensetvalue Hud_root traysize 10 1"

This will resize your 2x8 layout for 2x10, so you can see all the powers. Rotate the bottom row to your Captain powers and the top to whatever else you want to monitor. It also brings your Bridge Officer Tray (the one with pretty colors and your BO pix) back, so you can monitor their abilities.

For some reason when I use this bind the tray resize doesn't stick, I have to use the key each time I zone. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Protector wrote: »
    For some reason when I use this bind the tray resize doesn't stick, I have to use the key each time I zone. Any thoughts?

That is right. There is a way to make it stick but it is more trouble than its worth.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yeah, that happens. The reason is because when you zone the system looks back to your preferences file and loads those settings. I've just made it a habit to hit F5 every time I zone no matter what .. be it zoning to Eta Eridani or PvP or Kerrat. Just hit it every time.

Guess I should annotate that in the guide.
    Pendra37 wrote: »
    That is right. There is a way to make it stick but it is more trouble than its worth.

And that would probably require delving into files in the Live folder that are best left alone by us amateurs. (I know enough to get into trouble ... just not enough to get back out.)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey Trance,
    You cuaght me in Pi Canus tonight in a DSE and walked me through the keybinds. Words can not express how much you improved my game lol.

Cheers m8, and Thanks:)

Now to set these up for my Tac, Eng and Klinck BoP..........
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Everything seemed to work fine, but I still have at least once a day glitches with the quick tray (row 7 in this case). The transwarp skills to DS9, K7, SB39 you get while leveling a diplomat just vanish ... :-(

Sometimes I feel like driving a car and my gear changes randomly ... I can't belief that this is a feature :confused:

But at least my fighting skills seems to stay where I want them to be :)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that happens. The reason is because when you zone the system looks back to your preferences file and loads those settings. I've just made it a habit to hit F5 every time I zone no matter what .. be it zoning to Eta Eridani or PvP or Kerrat. Just hit it every time.

Guess I should annotate that in the guide.

And that would probably require delving into files in the Live folder that are best left alone by us amateurs. (I know enough to get into trouble ... just not enough to get back out.)

One other question if anyone can answer this: In Champions Online you can save the hud positions (it's a button in options) there is no equivalent button on STO. Any one know if this feature is in STO? And if so, is there a /command or a file I can transfer between characters?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nope, no such thing. You can do something like that with the earlyoverridefloat, but you would need to load it up after each instance change.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey Trance,
    You cuaght me in Pi Canus tonight in a DSE and walked me through the keybinds. Words can not express how much you improved my game lol.

Cheers m8, and Thanks:)

Now to set these up for my Tac, Eng and Klinck BoP..........

Pleasure. Happy to help. Nice flying with you; I forget how fun those DSE can be at the lower levels.
    One other question if anyone can answer this: In Champions Online you can save the hud positions (it's a button in options) there is no equivalent button on STO. Any one know if this feature is in STO? And if so, is there a /command or a file I can transfer between characters?

Thanks

Nope. There is no HUD preferences in STO. The only thing you can do with the HUD is use the "Rearrange HUD" (green squares ... ick) from the main menu or '/GenJailUnlock <bin>' (<bin>=0/1). GenJailUnlock will unlock the HUD element positions so you can move them around and actually see where overlap occurs. Make sure you /GenJailUnlock 0 to lock the elements down or you won't be able to do anything. :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A few questions and clarifications:

1) I like the idea of just pressing "left" and letting the ship make it's own turn. I fly a cruiser, so auto-turning would free up my hand for other keybinds. But I have a question. Is it possible to make it so that when I press "right", it DEACTIVATES my current left turn, and activates a right turn instead? Because, in the current system I have, I have to press "left" again to deactivate the turn before activating the right turn. I'd prefer the left turn to auto-deactivate when I press the "right" key. If there is no way around this, then I'll just have to get used to the method, but it can't hurt to ask for a better way.

2) Okay, I'm wondering about the "activates in reverse order" thing. Let's say I create a keybind that activates shield balancing when I fire phasers. I would put the command for shields in the list, followed by the phaser command, right? And when pressed, does it activate BOTH with a single keypress, or do I have to press it twice each time I fire, if I want the shields to balance?

3) Let's say that I want to create a keybind that targets Ally#1 and gives him EngTeamII and/or EngTeamI. Assuming I still put the powers in reverse order, I would want EngTeamII to fire off first, if available, obviously. Now, if EngTeamII is on cooldown when I press that key, does it automatically fire EntTeamI instead, or would I have to press it again, to get it to skip EngTeamII?

Thanks very much, and I apologize if any/all of these questions have been answered already. I just got back from work, and I'm not really in the mood to re-read a bunch of stuff, so cut me some slack. :P
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Being impatient, I've been trying to create keybinds before I got answers to my questions.

for navigation, I've tried things like:

/bind d -left $$ ++right

but that doesn't seem to do anything other than what "/bind d ++right" does. I was expecting the "-left" to turn off the left-hand turn, and then initiate the right-hand turn, but it seems to ignore that. I also tried reversing it so that it was "d ++right $$ -left", but no dice there either. I'm guessing it just can't be done.

But then again, I haven't been able to get ANY keybind that includes two commands to work right. I was trying to make one that gave myself EngTeamII or EngTeamI, and it works once, right after I create it. (It gives me EngTeamII if that's avaialable, but then if I create that keybind while EngTeamII is on cooldown, it skips it, and gives me EngTeamI instead.) However, it never works after that. So, I know I'm creating it correctly, since it DOES work once, but I don't get why it doesn't work after that.

Now, I haven't saved a keybind file, is that a necessary step? (I was just trying to get used to keybinds before I bothered to save a file.)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think you would have to hit the Button twice. Not sure.

But I have the same problem. I have successfully bound several things just cant get multiple binds work.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've been able to get multiple command keybinds to work, but only by creating them in the text file, not ingame. Don't know why, but as long as they work, I don't really care. :P
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A few questions and clarifications:

1) I like the idea of just pressing "left" and letting the ship make it's own turn. I fly a cruiser, so auto-turning would free up my hand for other keybinds. But I have a question. Is it possible to make it so that when I press "right", it DEACTIVATES my current left turn, and activates a right turn instead? Because, in the current system I have, I have to press "left" again to deactivate the turn before activating the right turn. I'd prefer the left turn to auto-deactivate when I press the "right" key. If there is no way around this, then I'll just have to get used to the method, but it can't hurt to ask for a better way.

No, unfortunately activating the other turn will only cancel the current turn out. The '++' is a toggle modifier; toggles are either on or off.
    2) Okay, I'm wondering about the "activates in reverse order" thing. Let's say I create a keybind that activates shield balancing when I fire phasers. I would put the command for shields in the list, followed by the phaser command, right? And when pressed, does it activate BOTH with a single keypress, or do I have to press it twice each time I fire, if I want the shields to balance?

Multiple commands are a funny beast. When the bind is small (2 - 4) it will activate everything together. Once it gets above that it starts activating in reverse.
    3) Let's say that I want to create a keybind that targets Ally#1 and gives him EngTeamII and/or EngTeamI. Assuming I still put the powers in reverse order, I would want EngTeamII to fire off first, if available, obviously. Now, if EngTeamII is on cooldown when I press that key, does it automatically fire EntTeamI instead, or would I have to press it again, to get it to skip EngTeamII?

Your first press would target teammate1 and fire off the ET II. This puts the ET I on shared cooldown. Once ET I is off cooldown, the next time you press that key it will activate ETI ... if ET II is not already available.
    Being impatient, I've been trying to create keybinds before I got answers to my questions.

for navigation, I've tried things like:

/bind d -left $$ ++right

but that doesn't seem to do anything other than what "/bind d ++right" does. I was expecting the "-left" to turn off the left-hand turn, and then initiate the right-hand turn, but it seems to ignore that. I also tried reversing it so that it was "d ++right $$ -left", but no dice there either. I'm guessing it just can't be done.

The '-' is not a command function. As above ^, the key toggles the command on/off.
    But then again, I haven't been able to get ANY keybind that includes two commands to work right. I was trying to make one that gave myself EngTeamII or EngTeamI, and it works once, right after I create it. (It gives me EngTeamII if that's avaialable, but then if I create that keybind while EngTeamII is on cooldown, it skips it, and gives me EngTeamI instead.) However, it never works after that. So, I know I'm creating it correctly, since it DOES work once, but I don't get why it doesn't work after that.

Make sure you string them together correctly. I use ' $$ ' (space, dollarsign, dollarsign, space); this makes for a clean readable bind. So the above should look something like:

<key> "+TrayExecByTray # # $$ +TrayExecByTray # #" (this is for use in a bind file.)

Now, I haven't saved a keybind file, is that a necessary step? (I was just trying to get used to keybinds before I bothered to save a file.)

Yes. And you'll find it easier to manage your binds. Take a look at one of my typical bindfiles.
    Martok42 wrote: »
    I think you would have to hit the Button twice. Not sure.

But I have the same problem. I have successfully bound several things just cant get multiple binds work.

See above ^^.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, I am having trouble. I cannot get the double bind thing working. It looks like this in the bind file:

Control+v "+TrayExecByTray 2 3 $$ +TrayExecByTray 2 2"

shouldn't that work?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes, as far as I can tell, that should work. What does it do? Does it trigger any powers? No response at all?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nothing at all. I then tried to just manually input the bind using the chatbox, I thought maybe the combination of the two would make something work. But to no avail. That just made one of the powers work.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Are you sure you have reloaded the file after you made the changes?

/bind_load_file FILENAME.txt

Assuming you did that already, exactly what two powers are you trying to activate? Which one of the two does it activate, the first or second?