test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starships: Model errors, issues and feedback

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I know this sounds kind of silly but I would like the Nobel Class which is a varient on the Soverign to have a shuttle bay some where. I mean if the Soverign has one shouldn't all varients of it as well?

For that matter, what about the variants of other ships that have shuttlebays? Please tell me Cryptic doesn't hate shuttlebays... :C

Also, realistically speaking, why would Starfleet NOT put in a shuttlebay on a ship? I think even the Defiant class had one, albeit small. Then again, I think almost all of the ships that appeared in canon that you can use in-game have shuttlebays.

It just... doesn't make sense why a ship wouldn't have a shuttlebay, and I don't want to break my brain trying to figure it out. >_<
    edited December 2010
    i would also like to point out the weapon placements on the star cruiser. nomad class, they are not symetrical side to side.
    edited December 2010
    unbelievable that capnlogan can spend days tweaking a 0.0000001 percent imperfectness of a ship but cannot fix the glaring issue with the defiant, that the engine pylons are entirely wrong as seen by the super imposed image over a studio model.

and that the nose piece still is not angled correctly. capn logan you sir are my hero.

such a talented artist, judging by the enterprise nx class, beauty of a ship and you cant fix the easy stuff on the defiant, dont leave your work!
    edited December 2010
    Runaz wrote:
    i would also like to point out the weapon placements on the star cruiser. nomad class, they are not symetrical side to side.

pix pl0x :3
    edited December 2010
    MKitsune wrote: »
    For that matter, what about the variants of other ships that have shuttlebays? Please tell me Cryptic doesn't hate shuttlebays... :C

Also, realistically speaking, why would Starfleet NOT put in a shuttlebay on a ship? I think even the Defiant class had one, albeit small. Then again, I think almost all of the ships that appeared in canon that you can use in-game have shuttlebays.

It just... doesn't make sense why a ship wouldn't have a shuttlebay, and I don't want to break my brain trying to figure it out. >_<

The Defiant class actually had 3 shuttlebays, one primary bay and 2 shuttlepod bays, but they were all hidden from view so when looking at the Defiant you wouldn't know it actually had any.

Admitedly this is the entire point of the Defiant - everything about the design is made to visualy hide the ship's capabilities - but it shows that not all Starfleet designs have shuttlebays visibily obvious on the hull.

So while I fully support the notion of Shuttlebays being made obvious on as many ships as possible (including Klingon vessles - yes Klingon ships have shuttlebays too) it isn't a necessity of canon or realism for them to be seen.
    edited December 2010
    Something I'd like to add about the Excelsior-class:

The secondary hull did not have windows on its bow: [Image]
    Aside from being canon, I do believe it would look better / more elegant, too.

Note that the "Enterprise-B" Refit-variant did indeed have windows there, so that part is correct: [Image]

Bottom line: no windows on the normal Excelsior's secondary hull bow plx. ;)

Misc: I also noticed that the windows on the aft section of the secondary hull are not in a proper line with the windows on the main section of the secondary hull. It looks like the deck "jumps" a meter or two in height. No big deal, but if the windows get touched again due to the bow thingie this may as well get fixed, too.

The deflector dish also has a different look, but personally I could let that one slide because it might be an "upgrade" to the old type. It would still be cool if this gets touched again as well, however.
    edited December 2010
    Valias wrote:

Note that the "Enterprise-B" Refit-variant did indeed have windows there, so that part is correct: [Image]

Misc: I also noticed that the windows on the aft section of the secondary hull are not in a proper line with the windows on the main section of the secondary hull. It looks like the deck "jumps" a meter or two in height. No big deal, but if the windows get touched again due to the bow thingie this may as well get fixed, too.

Added to the front page.
    edited December 2010
    Added to the front page.
    Wow, you're quick. :D
    Thanks for keeping this thread up to date.
    edited December 2010
    Valias wrote:
    Wow, you're quick. :D
    Thanks for keeping this thread up to date.

Thanks for including pictures. :3
    edited December 2010
    I didn't realize there was a thread specifically for ship errors. I'll try here...

Intrepid:
    Please view this side-by-side of the ingame texture compared to the official studio model.

Side-by-side
    zQpu8.jpg

STO model
    aG83D.jpg

Studio model
    umcuJ.jpg

It's just as thick and overly bright even on 1, 2 and 3 hull.

Hull 1
    NXfxE.jpg

Hull 2
    8xB3M.jpg

Hull 3
    dFpDJ.jpg

Hull 4
    dcg6Z.jpg

The ingame version seems overpoweringly thick and bright...
    On the official model, the stripes are subtle and are about the last thing you notice when you look at the ship, but nice to notice the extra detail when you do see it. But this in contrary you'd be hard-pressed to notice anything but the stripes first, and always glaring over other player set hull color options and design overlay.

Could they possibly be thinned down and their brightness dulled a bit..?

This ship is very important to me, but the way these stripe markings are right now is really upsetting me.. I know it's just a game and most probably don't care.. but it's important to me..
    edited December 2010
    Chiberry wrote:
    I didn't realize there was a thread specifically for ship errors. I'll try here...

Intrepid:
    Please view this side-by-side of the ingame texture compared to the official studio model.

Side-by-side
    zQpu8.jpg

STO model
    aG83D.jpg

Studio model
    umcuJ.jpg

It's just as thick and overly bright even on 1, 2 and 3 hull.

Hull 1
    NXfxE.jpg

Hull 2
    8xB3M.jpg

Hull 3
    dFpDJ.jpg

Hull 4
    dcg6Z.jpg

The ingame version seems overpoweringly thick and bright...
    On the official model, the stripes are subtle and are about the last thing you notice when you look at the ship, but nice to notice the extra detail when you do see it. But this in contrary you'd be hard-pressed to notice anything but the stripes first, and always glaring over other player set hull color options and design overlay.

Could they possibly be thinned down and their brightness dulled a bit..?

This ship is very important to me, but the way these stripe markings are right now is really upsetting me.. I know it's just a game and most probably don't care.. but it's important to me..

Added the side by side shot to the OP under LRSV. (Not really enough room for all the pics.)
    edited December 2010
    OP, can you add the lack of spot light on the Defiant class? The one high lightning the name.
    edited December 2010
    Sprint01 wrote:
    OP, can you add the lack of spot light on the Defiant class? The one high lightning the name.

Do you mean:
    No light showing ship's Name (This only appears a few times in DS9. Could be Optional?)
    edited December 2010
    Do you mean:

Oops. I did indeed. I posted a thread about it awhile back with pictures, and it never got any acknowledgment from the Devs / Thanks for pointing that out :)
    edited December 2010
    Nebula Error:

Starboard nacelle navigation light should be green. It is currently red.
    (Circled in image)
    SeuoK.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Chiberry wrote:
    Nebula Error:

Starboard nacelle navigation light should be green. It is currently red.
    (Circled in image)
    SeuoK.jpg

Added to the first page
    edited December 2010
    Valias wrote:

But... but... I already said that. ::sniffle::

Valiant797 wrote: »
    I posted this on the tribble forum (don't know what I was thinking, since I obviously know about this thread)

I did some looking last night into this. The windows are from the Lakota variant. See also:
    http://www.startrek.com/database_article/enterprise-b
    http://www.startrek.com/database_article/excelsior
    edited December 2010
    i have a vorcha class that has a beam weapon firing from the right impulse engine ticket 1,018,174
    edited December 2010
    wfs5519 wrote: »
    i have a vorcha class that has a beam weapon firing from the right impulse engine ticket 1,018,174

Which costume, which beam?
    edited December 2010
    sign....defiant is so out of whack, compared to some other minor details receiving fixes on other ships.

look here

http://imgur.com/yUCy4.jpg

http://imgur.com/WfznG.jpg

just glaringly bad...
    edited December 2010
    Cruis.In wrote: »
    sign....defiant is so out of whack, compared to some other minor details receiving fixes on other ships.

look here

just glaringly bad...

They added the Arrow heads, just go back into the ship costume editor and hit purchase.

Plus the defiant looks a lot better then what it did on release, if you want to see the release model look at the Golden model you can put in your readyroom/Mess hall.

The "nose" was ugly as hell.
    edited December 2010
    Cruis.In wrote: »

look here

just glaringly bad...

I see, the shape of the nose from the side is wrong and the tip needs to be bend downwards a bit. I wouldnt mind seeing the Defiant and Intrepid get some touch ups.
    edited December 2010
    hey little question ... what of problems with the models of the sovereign class is fixed now ?

It seems, that no issues on the starship models were fixed since the last months!!! Iam scared!
    edited December 2010
    The Garumba aegis effect (glowing Tron lines) still does NOT show up on the Port middle 'prong'. For 25 dollars, you'd think this would have gotten fixed from Tribble (where it also existed).
    edited December 2010
    http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/Cruis_In/defiant.jpg - correct model.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/Cruis_In/screenshot_2010-12-26-20-18-08.jpg

I do not even have to spell out what is wrong. But clearly you can see the underside of the sto defiant is very wrong.

also it would appear as those both of the naceles on the STO defiant were just slapped on or inserted into the 'centre' of the ship model. or attached even, unlike how it is on the 'correct' defiant model.

so the side view, the nacele position and the under side positions needs fixing.
    edited December 2010
    Should it be mentioned that the Galaxy class is STILL firing phasers from the tips of the saucer section and not the phaser arrays? Particularly noticable on side-on battles or using dual beam arrays.

EDIT: Here's some more. The galaxy Refit is mising it's battle bridge and docking clamp indents on the stardrive AND the battlebridge indentation and docking clamp holes on the underside of the saucer.

Here's pics of the top of the cobra head for the stardrive, I wont bother posting for the saucer underside cause... welll, duh, it's meant to be clamped down on top of this stuff so you guess how it's meant to look.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17258&d=1226479222
    http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17257&d=1226479222
    http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/studio/2008/11/80-12-508936.jpg
    edited December 2010
    count23 wrote: »
    Should it be mentioned that the Galaxy class is STILL firing phasers from the tips of the saucer section and not the phaser arrays? Particularly noticable on side-on battles or using dual beam arrays.

EDIT: Here's some more. The galaxy Refit is mising it's battle bridge and docking clamp indents on the stardrive AND the battlebridge indentation and docking clamp holes on the underside of the saucer.

Here's pics of the top of the cobra head for the stardrive, I wont bother posting for the saucer underside cause... welll, duh, it's meant to be clamped down on top of this stuff so you guess how it's meant to look.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17258&d=1226479222
    http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17257&d=1226479222
    http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/studio/2008/11/80-12-508936.jpg

DBB never fire from the phaser arrays, despite the fact that it seems obvious that they should.

Of course, in my opinion, every energy weapon should be firing from the beam arrays on the federation ships (with the exception of the Defiant). We've seen Voyager firing dual beams and we've seen Enterprise firing anti-matter (spread) bolts, both come from the beam arrays. It baffles me why cryptic decided to smack a bunch of ugly black pimples all over our ships to represent canon and DBB hardpoints.

Insofar as your standard phaser arrays go, do you have a screen of them firing only from the edge of the saucer?
    edited December 2010
    wrote:
    DBB never fire from the phaser arrays, despite the fact that it seems obvious that they should.

Of course, in my opinion, every energy weapon should be firing from the beam arrays on the federation ships (with the exception of the Defiant). We've seen Voyager firing dual beams and we've seen Enterprise firing anti-matter (spread) bolts, both come from the beam arrays. It baffles me why cryptic decided to smack a bunch of ugly black pimples all over our ships to represent canon and DBB hardpoints.

Insofar as your standard phaser arrays go, do you have a screen of them firing only from the edge of the saucer?
    It just occured to me - we have the technology now!

The set items can change the looks of our ships. Maybe now weapons should also affect the looks. If you have cannons equipped, the cannon weapon marks will be displayed, otherwise not. If you got beams equipped, you see the beam array markings, if not, you don't.

That would be cool.
    edited December 2010
    It just occured to me - we have the technology now!

The set items can change the looks of our ships. Maybe now weapons should also affect the looks. If you have cannons equipped, the cannon weapon marks will be displayed, otherwise not. If you got beams equipped, you see the beam array markings, if not, you don't.

That would be cool.

Something for which I'd asked on several occasions.

That way we could get rid of those ugly weapon pimples if they have no weapons to utilise them.

Though I still would like to see them put some effort towards beautifying the phaser arrays and finding a way to not have to use pimples to represent cannon / beam hardpoints.

I hate feeling like my ship looks like a spotty teenager.
    edited January 2011
    Has anyone looked at the TMP connie lately? suddenly the saucer is really flat and even worse the warp nacelles are crooked.
This discussion has been closed.