Install Arc
Options

Mirror Universe Uniforms in C-Store

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well yeah, of course it's about money! What company doesn't want money? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the subscription/microtransaction model that is currently out there, but it seems like it could be the new standard. I heard the Old Republic is considering this, and WoW is already dabbling (rather successfully I might add).
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    andeolus wrote: »
    Well yeah, of course it's about money! What company doesn't want money? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the subscription/microtransaction model that is currently out there, but it seems like it could be the new standard. I heard the Old Republic is considering this, and WoW is already dabbling (rather successfully I might add).

ya i was looking at the Tor site the other day... gawd knows what'll go in there. SWG pre-nge best mmo ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well of course its about money. The question is will they go for a short term cash grab (c-store), or think long term (Vet reward). If they go the former at the expense of those who alread made long term investments in the company, then it sends an important message about about the future of the game: That they dont expect to have one. I'd be reluctant to ever give them money again based on that.

TOR I remain skeptical on. I think they're promising way more than they can possibly deliver meaningfully, and they made a very unfortunate choice to go WoW-like in character design.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think the biggest issues is everyone wants to compete with the success of WoW. If Blizzard can get 10 million subscriptions, why can't any other MMO? The problem is, I don't think any MMO will ever touch that level of success, and companies like Cryptic are scrambling to find new ways to make more money off of a smaller pool of subscribers.

I don't *hate* the C-store. I've certainly used it with the free points I got. I just think they need to be very careful about what goes in there. The solution is not putting everything that people missed out in on the store. Sometimes promotions just need to be retired. Come up with new stuff to sell that has an equal "cool" factor as what's already out there.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Putting up something like the MU unis on the C-Store is a BAD move. Something that a person shelled out big bucks for should NOT be tossed up in a place where you can throw a few bucks at and expect instant gratification. The big-name items, such as the MU unis; Lib Borg; and Galaxy-X are special items for special promotions. I'm not against them being offered in other ways, but the C-Store is not the answer.

I never bought the CO LTS...I was tempted, but knew that $200.00 was just too much for just the items I was looking at (the MU costume & closed beta). That would have been the ONLY reason for me to get it. The game never appealed to me. I only said "yes" when a friend said that it would be the next big game we'd play together (some friend) in addition to the CB (I DID pay for the 6-month sub).

So, yes. I expect that Cryptic will eventually offer it another way. I certainly do not hope that the C-Store is their answer. I would love to see it as a Vet reward, say at the 500 day mark, but it needs to be earned...not bought. Those who want the "exclusives" NOW are nothing more than spoiled children. I don't have the Mirror Universe outfit and I REALLY want it badly, but I'm not asking for it to be practically given to me...I am willing to work my way to getting it.

I started a petition on offering these high profile items in the Vet program. I welcome you to voice your opinion there (just keep it civil, please). You can clicky here to cast your vote.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I wouldn't mind at all waiting 500 days, i just want a fair and honest chance to get the damn thing period. :p
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SWG pre-nge best mmo ever.

Only for fans of Uncle Owen.

If your strongest desire after watching Star Wars was to run off and become a Moisture Farmer ...

1- SWG was the game for you.
    2- You missed a pretty good movie.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If Blizzard can get 10 million subscriptions, why can't any other MMO?

They can't get as big a penetration into the asian markets as World of Warcraft did.

It's not like their U.S. sub numbers are some MMO juggernaut. At its height it beat Everquest at EQ's height. But not in some unseemly fashion that seems so untouchable.

It's the other markets. Added all up together.

Which this company isn't exactly designed to do. Nor were they trying to do that.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    They can't get as big a penetration into the asian markets as World of Warcraft did.

It's not like their U.S. sub numbers are some MMO juggernaut. At its height it beat Everquest at EQ's height. But not in some unseemly fashion that seems so untouchable.

It's the other markets. Added all up together.

Which this company isn't exactly designed to do. Nor were they trying to do that.

That was a rhetorical question. I was pointing out that there are a lot of companies use WoW as a benchmark and would love nothing more then to be that legendary "WoW killer".
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ignore these peseants... think of the $$$$$
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    First let me just say I sympathise with the MU fans plight.

Now that that's out of the way, this is a really bad idea to just CStore it on STO. Yes you heard me: Bad idea. But no, let me explain why I think this way so you don't think I'm trolling or something.

I know quite a lot of die hard STO fans went ahead and threw out $200 on a game they'd never play just for this set limited time offer. I also know a whole other slew of people who got the CO lifetime to play CO and knew 100% they would never get to see this bonus. *gasp* But surprise! Some of us actually like both games.

As I've said once before, I have no doubt in my mind that these uniforms will eventually be made non-exclusive to the CO lifetiners (The DDE got their excusive TOS taken away and that messed up a much larger group) with the huge clamoring for these there is now. So yes, the CO lifetimers will eventually be messed up and I know it.

personae has said that it was said that this was promised to never be in the CStore, and it needs to be honored. (Source btw? :D) Seriously it's not fair to the customer otherwise. The female uniforms were JUST delivered like a week ago and I still haven gotten to use them since mom DC my net and I'm posting from a Wii on a borrowed wifi. Those who actually got the full package now would be MIGHTY PEEVED if it was put up in CStore today or any day.

So in conclusion, yes I do agree these should be made more accessible, but a direct port to CStore would be extremely unfair to the initial investment that had to be made for these (And then another lifetime just to make sure to keep them indefinitely is only logical, so imagine the cost now!). The only fair way is to put this with the last tier of Vet rewards, so people invest a comparable amount. It's not CStore (Promise upheld, CO lifetimers happy) and it's available to STO but requires a comparable investment (Other STO fans happy, but have to invest for it kinda like the original offer). Or different MU from a different season, NOT CStore, and given out on Vet reward/first referal (Make it no box or sub required like Saphire action figure). It's not the ones from CO lifetime and not just a clever workaround the promise to keep it out of CStore (CO lifetimers happy, promise upheld) but it is MU (Other STO fans have a MU, and invest comparably).

I hope you understand....
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Could always make it a Veteran and STO lifetime perk then, if its all about "value". :p
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    why can't people just accept that they can't have evry shiny in the game and move on it's a game do these people get this upset when they see a guy driving a ferrearri and can't have it too
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    panthro wrote: »
    why can't people just accept that they can't have evry shiny in the game and move on it's a game do these people get this upset when they see a guy driving a ferrearri and can't have it too

Thats not really comparable since you can "buy" a Ferarri, even if its a limited edition, as all you need to do is persuade the owner to sell it for the right price, legally.
    However the MU uniforms cannot be bought now period as the transferring of accounts is "illegal"

The reason people are so riled up is because the Mirror Universe forums are very "Iconic" and as such it was wrong of Cryptic to do what they did with them.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i don't have the mu i would like them but i accept i can't have them no point whining about it
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And if everyone would just accept everything as they were then there would be no hope for the game to get better.
    Its exactly the purpose these forums exist for, not to "accept" how things are now, but to leave "feedback".
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    how is it making the game better to give people a certain uniform
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How does it make the game better giving people ship costumes?
    This is the C-Store feedback section and the C-Store is primarily for cosmetic and fluff items. :p
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    money money money, must be funny, in a rich mans world.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm quite certain the simple solution is: Bring the bronze versions to the masses. (see my many previous posts on this and similar topics for what I mean)

I'm also quite certain that there is strong enough evidence that those of us who have the exclusives are willing to compromise, but not fold, where as the "I didn't study, but if I fail the teacher is to blame" crowd seems to demand no quarter.

And frankly, I'd be surprised if that attitude won any gold name's hearts.

NO, you cannot have my exclusive reward.

But you can have similar.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jnoh wrote:
    I'm quite certain the simple solution is: Bring the bronze versions to the masses.

I'm also quite certain that there is strong enough evidence that those of us who have the exclusives are willing to compromise, but not fold, where as the "I didn't study, but if I fail the teacher is to blame" crowd seems to demand no quarter.

And frankly, I'd be surprised if that attitude won any gold name's hearts.

NO, you cannot have my exclusive reward.

But you can have similar.

someone gag him and pin him to the ground while i yoink his belt!
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Um...I think...I think I'll stay away from that. And no, he has a valid argument. People who have these exclusives are willing to compromise to let others either have them or something similar. Those who want to withhold anything from other players just want their toys to themselves. And those who want those items without working for it in any fashion just want instant gratification. I'm willing to meet in the middle. Make the MU uni, the Lib Borg, the new hot X-exclusive item available to others, but make them earn it. If Cryptic HAS to put stuff up in the C-Store, make it a variation...or make it something else...but don't cheapen the item, either.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Translation: "Give me for free what others paid for, because it is not fair that they have something that I do not have. In my perfect world, where you have to work to make the money to buy the item, I get it without the effort at all. This is my world..and it is perfect."

Exclusive.

We paid for it. We have it. We keep it. You want it.. ask Cryptic to put their lifetime sub offer back on CO.. and go buy a subscription.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Translation: "Give me for free what others paid for, because it is not fair that they have something that I do not have. In my perfect world, where you have to work to make the money to buy the item, I get it without the effort at all. This is my world..and it is perfect."

Exclusive.

We paid for it. We have it. We keep it. You want it.. ask Cryptic to put their lifetime sub offer back on CO.. and go buy a subscription.

Wow to buy a lifetime to a totally different game for some STO in game uniforms?, that I don't play nor have any interest in? That has to be an oxy moron, or just plain old moron. I have already bought enough of this title to almost add up to another Lifetime Subscription.

The Champions offer was ridiculous. Bare minimum should of been offered to STO lifetime PRE launch investors, and should of been made available with other long term subscription offers. When I see this point that is made is just so unreasonable....... You bought a Champions Lifetime, because you play
    Champions not just for STO uniforms.......
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes, It was a bit rediculous that the only way to get the Mirror Universe uniforms was through the CO lifetime. Which is why we asked if it would be available any other way back then and they said 'no.'

People spent hundreds they might not have otherwise based on that. Which means, like it or not, they are obliged to honor that at least until the 16 month mark. Putting it back on a CO offer is a little extreme. But a Vet reward around that time frame is a fair enough option for both sides of this arguement in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wow to buy a lifetime to a totally different game for some STO in game uniforms?, that I don't play nor have any interest in? That has to be an oxy moron, or just plain old moron. I have already bought enough of this title to almost add up to another Lifetime Subscription.

The Champions offer was ridiculous. Bare minimum should of been offered to STO lifetime PRE launch investors, and should of been made available with other long term subscription offers. When I see this point that is made is just so unreasonable....... You bought a Champions Lifetime, because you play
    Champions not just for STO uniforms.......

Uh,..I do play Champions. I have 7 level 40 characters. The uniforms were part of the bonus. Deal with it. You don't have to have everything everybody else has. I am not complaining about the offers I don't have from other packages. I could have purchased them... I didn't..

But you won't see me here begging to get the stuff that others paid for as exclusives...

Ever...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh,..I do play Champions. I have 7 level 40 characters. The uniforms were part of the bonus. Deal with it. You don't have to have everything everybody else has.

Wow. 7 40s? I had three characters in their 30s, and all of my characters in their 20s when I left, IIRC. But I lost my tolerance for the grind well before I got to where you're at, heh.

I agree with the underlined sentiment. While I would not be upset if they made the TNG and DS9 unis available in some other way (as I'd actually like to run into more people in the unis from the show) ... it doesn't upset me that others have things I don't have.

I find though a lot of people playing this game really really want certain things. And lose sight of that sentiment, and then reason and logic starts to break down, heh.

There's a thread in the tribble forums about the Borg Bridge Officer from the Khitomer STF. It doesn't have the efficient trait, like the CE Borg officer does. A lot of people want that trait. The Khitomer Borg instead carries four superior traits. No other BO in the game has that many superior traits. But because they are traits people do not want ...

I just get the feeling that some people playing the game have unreasonable expectations of the developers in terms of giving them exactly what they want. And your post sort of highlighted that idea and made me think about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh,..I do play Champions. I have 7 level 40 characters. The uniforms were part of the bonus. Deal with it. You don't have to have everything everybody else has. I am not complaining about the offers I don't have from other packages. I could have purchased them... I didn't..

But you won't see me here begging to get the stuff that others paid for as exclusives...

Ever...

You Play Champions.......I do not. I play STO, the only thing I am complaining about in the above mentioned post is that I have been around since STO was still on the drawing boards, and I feel that it is unreasonable to ask me as a Prelaunch Investor to go buy a lifetime subscription to another game to get a set of uniforms. This unreasonable Champions promotion was the only one that asked you to spend 200+ dollars for something totally unrelated to STO for a set of uniforms. I call B.S. when I see it. In fact the other promotions were all offered to players of this game, not others. Once again thanks you proving all my point made in the above mentioned post beyond a reasonable doubt.

My position is that the more exclusives you have in this game the less attractive it is to newer players. Thus taking the Trek feeling out of Star Trek. So lets not be so greedy about sharing some of them.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Exclusive.

/agree that's what it really boils down to money someone shelled out 200 dollars for this but if i whine enough i'll be able to get it for free. (and no i don't have the mu) i accept that i wasn't there for that promo and didn't get it anything else is just whining see avatar

I personally would be insulted if they put lib borg or other items on the c-store i paid a lot of money to get those shinies and they should remain exclusive
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Simple compromise: Make a tradable C-Store item for those who have the MU uniforms that grants the MU uniforms to whoever uses it.
    That way theres still another way to get it and those who are feeling generous enough can "share" the uniforms with who they want to.

Of course this could be promlematic too since it might promote RWT, but its an idea.
This discussion has been closed.