test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    You might want to fix the uniforms changed in the recent patch. Such as the DS9/VOY uniform. :)

If you're referring to them being lighter, I think that is going to be fixed next week, so Blackavaar, you should wait until then to redo the guide.
    edited February 2011
    Karth wrote:
    Thanks man! Glad to have a one stop shop for all my uniforming whims!

You're very welcome, Karth.
    Wrelbyrd wrote: »
    I tried making the Federation Mercenary 1 uniform, but the ingame version looks very grey compared to the one on the picture. Did you make the colors darker on the picture?

That is because ingame defaults, on mine anyway to 120% brightness, so the colours here always look a little darker than they do ingame

Its odd, but something you live with after gaming for years.

Yes, Patrick is right. The colors in the Tailor always appear a bit darker than the in-game lighting. The colors chosen, however, are chosen for the way they appear in-game, not in the Tailor screen.
    Tuskin wrote:
    You might want to fix the uniforms changed in the recent patch. Such as the DS9/VOY uniform. :)

Keep up the awesome work Mr. Blackavaar. I'm using the game for a mini Star Trek Episode and I love having perfectly canon uniforms.

If you're referring to them being lighter, I think that is going to be fixed next week, so Blackavaar, you should wait until then to redo the guide.

I agree, Tuskin. The current configuration is a bug and should be fixed soon. I'll hold off for now. Thanks for the heads up though, William. I appreciate it.

:cool:
    edited February 2011
    Tuskin wrote:

I was referring to the switching of the color spots, not the lighter-ness. I logged on and my DS9/VOY uniforms had their color palettes switched so that instead of Red with a Gray collar, they were gray with a red color.

The middle box of the the three shirt colors is now the collar as opposed to the upper shirt part.
    And the last box is vice versa.

That may not be a bug.
    edited February 2011
    I was referring to the switching of the color spots, not the lighter-ness. I logged on and my DS9/VOY uniforms had their color palettes switched so that instead of Red with a Gray collar, they were gray with a red color.

The middle box of the the three shirt colors is now the collar as opposed to the upper shirt part.
    And the last box is vice versa.

That may not be a bug.

Oh, really? Yeah, I'll definitely have to check on that. Thanks for the heads up.

edited February 2011
    Here's my theory on what happened: when they updated the DS9/Voy and TNG film uniforms, they were suddenly darker than the pants. So they darkened the pants, but someone lightened the uniforms, reversing the problem. So hopefully they'll fix it all this week
    edited February 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    Here's my theory on what happened: when they updated the DS9/Voy and TNG film uniforms, they were suddenly darker than the pants. So they darkened the pants, but someone lightened the uniforms, reversing the problem. So hopefully they'll fix it all this week

Yeah, and it looks like they changed the DS9 color selections so they line up with those of the Next Gen Film uniforms. I'm not sure why though. The colors chosen matched the way the uniforms should look before. Now if you switch from DS9 to Next Gen Film you have to recolor for it to be canon. Not a smart change.

:rolleyes:
    edited February 2011
    This is just a suggestion, but you might want to update the WoK and TOS Mirror uniforms since they both have separate belt parts. The TOS mirror belt is especially irritating since the part around the waist only has access to the standard uniform colors while the flap/moving part has access to the off duty colors.
    edited February 2011
    This is just a suggestion, but you might want to update the WoK and TOS Mirror uniforms since they both have separate belt parts. The TOS mirror belt is especially irritating since the part around the waist only has access to the standard uniform colors while the flap/moving part has access to the off duty colors.

I was hoping they would fix this at some point, so I've been avoiding updating the TOS Mirror Uniforms. But the WoK Mirror Uniforms are already done accounting for this. If you notice, the belt portion is pointed to from the Standard color pallet, while the sash is pointed to from the Off Duty pallet.

I'll consider updating the TOS, since it seems they aren't planning to fix the pallet problem any time soon. It looks like Gold B2 (2nd to the left from the center) would be the proper Standard choice.

Thanks!

edited February 2011
    I'd like to wear the WOK belt with my diplomat uniform but sadly the main belt goes over the jacket which looks a little daft. I think it would look aweome if just the belt insignia were visible.
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I noticed that on the WoK belts.

Anyways, any chance you're working on the Ferengi suit from Mine Enemy? Also a good color choice for Ferengi tattoo as it appears in the series would be nice.

The ones on the show seems to be a located a little higher and greener than the one shown in Mine Enemy.
    edited February 2011
    hey black;

you have the yoke part of the TNG movie uniform a bit too 'blue', it's more grey than blue
    edited February 2011
    I'm not about to read thry 62 pages to find this out... Since Cryptic has been adjusting the TNG/VOY/MOV uniforms are your color codes correct to the latest version of these?

peter
    edited February 2011
    You literally only have to go back 1 page to find that out.

"I agree, Tuskin. The current configuration is a bug and should be fixed soon. I'll hold off for now. Thanks for the heads up though, William. I appreciate it."
    edited February 2011
    ... any chance you're working on the Ferengi suit from Mine Enemy? Also a good color choice for Ferengi tattoo as it appears in the series would be nice.

The ones on the show seems to be a located a little higher and greener than the one shown in Mine Enemy.

Yes, I have been working on that outfit. I've got a match on everything except the pants. The color on those is deceptively difficult to match. I'll get it though. Planning to play through Mine Enemy again tonight.

And I plan to add a Details Guide that would include things like Ferengi Tattoos and Headdresses, Bajoran Earrings, Visors and such.

Intrepidox wrote: »
    hey black;

you have the yoke part of the TNG movie uniform a bit too 'blue', it's more grey than blue

There are limited choices available on the pallet. The color chosen is the closest match with in-game (not the Tailor screen) lighting.

PerRock wrote: »
    I'm not about to read thry 62 pages to find this out... Since Cryptic has been adjusting the TNG/VOY/MOV uniforms are your color codes correct to the latest version of these?

peter

You literally only have to go back 1 page to find that out.

"I agree, Tuskin. The current configuration is a bug and should be fixed soon. I'll hold off for now. Thanks for the heads up though, William. I appreciate it."

Invis is right. The DS9 and TNG Film Uniforms are far too light now and will hopefully be fixed very soon. So, I am not recoloring those yet.

But so you know, I did check out the new badges and the other uniforms. The colors for the other uniforms appear to remain the same, but the badges may need to be checked, especially the new versions of the TNG and TNG Film badges. The previously chosen colors appear too dark.

The new WoK badge looks to be colored appropriately still though. It just looks much cleaner now.
    Now if they could just fix that WoK Belt Buckle I could redo the images for those guides.

edited February 2011
    I updated the Canon Starship and Bridge guides once again. I increased the spacing and recolored some of the text to make it easier to distinguish categories. Let me know if you see any further problems with them.

edited February 2011
    Uniforms have finally been updated. Have fun :D
    edited February 2011
    I know he has a lot of work ahead of him. XD
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, thanks guys!

Some of these are going to be tough to work with though. The Open Jacket TNG Film and DS9 uniforms just look wrong to me. They should either be bulkier around the sides, to simulate a loose fit or the zipper should be closed at the very bottom, to explain the form fit. The open yet still form fitting appearance just looks bad.

The new TNG Series and TNG Film badges likewise have problems I am hoping will be fixed. Breast clipping and the lack of any kind of metallic sheen on the Delta mainly.

Also, although the TNG Film Open Jacket can be used to mock-up Picard's Jacket from the TNG Series, it's really not the right jacket. It should be suede with leather shoulders and it shouldn't have the career banding around the wrists. Still, I'll see what I can do with it.

On the other hand though, the A-01 through B-05 Open Jacket variants look great.

It's going to be a long weekend.

edited February 2011
    You can get pretty darn close to Picard's jacket.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/startrek2011/Picards-Jacket.png
    edited February 2011

Yeah, but that only highlights how odd it looks for the jacket to be form-fitting yet completely open. It looks like the jacket was painted on.
    edited February 2011
    Minston wrote: »
    Did you know that actually the TOS "gold" was greenish? The lighting and film stock resulted in it appearing goldish on screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniforms

Yes. Chartreuse. Really. :D

i think everyone knows that.
    edited February 2011
    cheer wrote: »

Yeah, but that only highlights how odd it looks for the jacket to be form-fitting yet completely open. It looks like the jacket was painted on.

I agree. The way these look is really bad. It's like someone took a pair of scissors and cut out the middle part of the jacket, pasted it to the undershirt and then tucked it into their pants. Come on! Champions Online has Jackets that look like Jackets. Why do ours have to be painted on over our shirts?

Plus, illustrious, did you realize that you had to use the DS9 Open Jacket to do that? Yeah, the texture on that doesn't quite match the Captain's Variant that is supposed to be worn underneath. So, if you use two slots to simulate Jacket On and Jacket Off versions, you would see a very noticeable difference in texture when switching between the two.

The TNG Film Open Jacket is a closer match, it's just got those darn division bands around the cuffs.

edited February 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Champions Online has Jackets that look like Jackets. Why do ours have to be painted on over our shirts?

You could remove "jackets" and replace it with pretty much anything, and the statement would be valid.

Some examples:
    Champions Online has fully vertical flight. Why is ours limited to 60 degrees?
    Champions Online has many hair styles. Why do ours only have a few?
    Champions Online has a wide variety of outfit customization. Why is ours limited to only a few styles (referring to off-duty, not uniform)?
    edited February 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    You could remove "jackets" and replace it with pretty much anything, and the statement would be valid.

Some examples:
    Champions Online has fully vertical flight. Why is ours limited to 60 degrees?
    Champions Online has many hair styles. Why do ours only have a few?
    Champions Online has a wide variety of outfit customization. Why is ours limited to only a few styles (referring to off-duty, not uniform)?

Well, there are some cases where I wouldn't want to do that.

Champions Online has characters that look campy and cartoony. Why can't... Wait. I'd prefer that STO characters not look like that.

;)

The point is that CO artists took the time to model an entirely new piece when they made Jackets. They didn't just cut the front out of a Shirt, pop a copy of the Shirt underneath it, re-texture the whole thing and call it a Jacket.

edited February 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Well, there are some cases where I wouldn't want to do that.

Champions Online has characters that look campy and cartoony. Why can't... Wait. I'd prefer that STO characters not look like that.

;)

The point is that CO artists took the time to model an entirely new piece when they made Jackets. They didn't just cut the front out of a Shirt, pop a copy of the Shirt underneath it, re-texture the whole thing and call it a Jacket.

Yeah I know... I wasn't disagreeing with you.. and I did say "almost" :P

Also, for picard's jacket, I think the DS9 jacket gets a lot closer (without the ribbing). It's still not suede with leather, but it looks a little closer at least.
    edited February 2011
    Mr. Blackavaar, I am so thankful for the help you have given to the STO community, I use your guide often and appreciate your hard work.

I use your amazing guide for almost all my characters and they look fantastic!

For an educational project, I am making a short STO machinima, for which I use your awesome guide.

I am also starting a fleet for which I used your uniform guide.

And you were once kind enough to give me a Del Taco shuttle code.

Would you allow me to name the Admiral who "formed the fleet" and the Admiral in my machinima be named Admiral Avaar in honor if your dedicated work to the community?

Lastly, are you possibly going to make a 25th Century Cadets guide? I'd really love to see what they'd look like
    edited February 2011
    He already did make a cadet's guide:

Cadets, Technicians and Thugs Guide

(you're looking for "AGT Cadets")
    edited February 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    He already did make a cadet's guide:

Cadets, Technicians and Thugs Guide

(you're looking for "AGT Cadets")

I wad referring to cadet uniforms from the in game uniforms, not c-store packs. For fleets and people who don't want to buy stuff
    edited February 2011
    Ah... "non-canon" cadet uniforms. Good idea.
    edited February 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    Ah... "non-canon" cadet uniforms. Good idea.

Some if his work is less than Canon due to the limits of the game, so its not that much of a stretch.
This discussion has been closed.