test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Mr. Blackavaar, I am so thankful for the help you have given to the STO community, I use your guide often and appreciate your hard work.

I use your amazing guide for almost all my characters and they look fantastic!

For an educational project, I am making a short STO machinima, for which I use your awesome guide.

I am also starting a fleet for which I used your uniform guide.

And you were once kind enough to give me a Del Taco shuttle code.

Would you allow me to name the Admiral who "formed the fleet" and the Admiral in my machinima be named Admiral Avaar in honor if your dedicated work to the community?

Lastly, are you possibly going to make a 25th Century Cadets guide? I'd really love to see what they'd look like

Thanks, William. Certainly, you can use that name. You honor me. Thank you.

And yes, in addition to the new Open Jacket Uniforms and re-shoots of the TNG Film and DS9 Uniforms, I am also currently working on 25th century Cadets, theoretical Section 31 Uniforms of all eras, Species and Non-Species Accessories and Tattoos, and various in-game Off Duty uniforms, including the Ferengi uniforms from Mine Enemy.

Keep watching.

:cool:
    edited February 2011
    Some if his work is less than Canon due to the limits of the game, so its not that much of a stretch.

His TNG and WoK MU uniforms are already less than canon because we've never seen them in an actual series. However, they are logical estimates of what they would look like within the limitations of the game, if we had been given the chance to see them, much along the same lines as your request for a 25th Century Cadet uniform. I'm glad he took to the idea and praise his work. I am interested in seeing what pops out of the idea for the Cadet idea. I also hope he eventually decides to do a MU DS9 uniform, even though canon tells us it could never exist, at least not in the universes we've seen in canon.
    edited February 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Thanks, William. Certainly, you can use that name. You honor me. Thank you.

Thank you, you are a true STO patriot!
    And yes, in addition to the new Open Jacket Uniforms and re-shoots of the TNG Film and DS9 Uniforms, I am also currently working on 25th century Cadets, theoretical Section 31 Uniforms of all eras, Species and Non-Species Accessories and Tattoos, and various in-game Off Duty uniforms, including the Ferengi uniforms from Mine Enemy.

Keep watching.

Awesome! So far, I'm just using B-01, black with a gray upper part as the "cadet".

I can't wait to see the future expansions, thanks for all your effort!
    His TNG and WoK MU uniforms are already less than canon because we've never seen them in an actual series. However, they are logical estimates of what they would look like within the limitations of the game, if we had been given the chance to see them, much along the same lines as your request for a 25th Century Cadet uniform. I'm glad he took to the idea and praise his work. I am interested in seeing what pops out of the idea for the Cadet idea. I also hope he eventually decides to do a MU DS9 uniform, even though canon tells us it could never exist, at least not in the universes we've seen in canon.

I heartily agree, his non canon work is awesome! I'm so happy he did it

I think he judges what they would look like well :)
    edited March 2011
    ...It's going to be a long weekend.
    Hiya Sir Blackavaar!

Not trying to pressure you or anything, but was wondering how the Open Jacket uniform mock-ups are comin' along? :p

(P.S. Yes, I'm trying to pressue you... Muahahaha!) :D
    edited March 2011
    Hiya Sir Blackavaar!

Not trying to pressure you or anything, but was wondering how the Open Jacket uniform mock-ups are comin' along? :p

(P.S. Yes, I'm trying to pressue you... Muahahaha!) :D

Sorry it's taking so long but this is a huge update. I'm going through every uniform that uses the TNG and TNG Film badges (especially the TNG, TNG Film and DS9 uniforms), retesting the colors, getting new screen shots and redoing each and every guide. That's a lot to do. Don't worry though. I'll go ahead and finish the Open Jacket stuff first and get it up ASAP.

I'm working on the 25th Century Open Jacket guides this very moment. Expect to see them within the next couple of days.

edited March 2011
    Sorry it's taking so long but this is a huge update. I'm going through every uniform that uses the TNG and TNG Film badges (especially the TNG, TNG Film and DS9 uniforms), retesting the colors, getting new screen shots and redoing each and every guide. That's a lot to do. Don't worry though. I'll go ahead and finish the Open Jacket stuff first and get it up ASAP.

I'm working on the 25th Century Open Jacket guides this very moment. Expect to see them within the next couple of days.

The 25th Century open jacket's need their own color guide? Shouldn't it just be the same as the normal 25th Century uniforms?
    edited March 2011
    The 25th Century open jacket's need their own color guide? Shouldn't it just be the same as the normal 25th Century uniforms?

Except for the undershirts, yes. But to match the undershirts they need their own guides. At least one each. That's why I'm doing a command uniform guide for each set that has one for both male and female.

Now, I know the females don't have undershirts, but I thought I'd toss them in anyway for people who like to look at them.

edited March 2011

You Rock Sir Blackavaar! :cool:

Seriously, take your time... :p
    edited March 2011
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/Blackavaar/Screen%20Shots/StarTrekOnline/Uniforms/fed_offduty_vorta_eris.png - Now that is cute! However, Eris' hair is more like the one I've got in my char. :)
    edited March 2011
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/Blackavaar/Screen%20Shots/StarTrekOnline/Uniforms/fed_offduty_vorta_eris.png - Now that is cute! However, Eris' hair is more like the one I've got in my char. :)

Thanks! I was wondering when you would notice that one.

I actually think the Swept Back style looks better on Vorta because it has that stray hairs over the ear thing that they had going on so often (especially Weyoun). Plus it's flatter on top that the Fauxhawk.

Hopefully someday they'll add something that really looks canon. Until then all we can do is wait.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

edited March 2011
    Open Jackets are here!

Canon:
    TNG Captain's Variant Gray
    TNG Captain's Variant Jacket
    TNG Film Command Red Open
    DS9 Command Red Open
    VOY Command Red Open

25th Century:
    A-01 Male
    A-01 Female
    A-03 Male
    A-03 Female
    A-04 Male
    A-04 Female
    B-01 Male
    B-01 Female
    B-02 Male
    B-02 Female
    B-03 Male
    B-03 Female
    B-04 Male
    B-04 Female

Updated TNG Badges:
    TNG/DS9
    TNG film/VOY

These have all been added to their respective sections as well for ease of use.
    Updates to the TNG, TNG Film, DS9 and VOY uniforms coming soon.

For those who would like to know ahead of time, all colors on the TNG, TNG Film and DS9 style uniforms have been lightened by 2 shades with two exceptions. The DS9 and VOY reds have only been lightened by one shade and the Medical variants for all uniforms have been lightened by 4 shades. The Wallpaper versions of these are also invalid and need to be updated. So, keep an eye out for those updates.

Until then, enjoy!

edited March 2011
    Open Jackets are here!

Wonderful! Thank you very much. Can't wait to use them.
    edited March 2011
    Looking at the TNG Captain's Variant Gray, wouldn't that tunic work well to interpret the Acting Ensign uniform that Wesley Crusher once wore? The shoulder portion of Crusher's tunic didn't display a straight line across the chest, but this new tunic is close enough for Federation government work. ;)
    edited March 2011
    Looking at the TNG Captain's Variant Gray, wouldn't that tunic work well to interpret the Acting Ensign uniform that Wesley Crusher once wore? The shoulder portion of Crusher's tunic didn't display a straight line across the chest, but this new tunic is close enough for Federation government work. ;)

I had been thinking a similar thing since I first noticed the Captain's variant open jacket uniform. Just never thought to say anything because I figured he'd notice himself and start making the color palette with all the others.
    edited March 2011
    Open Jackets are here!

Canon:
    TNG Captain's Variant Gray
    TNG Captain's Variant Jacket
    TNG Film Command Red Open
    DS9 Command Red Open
    VOY Command Red Open

25th Century:
    A-01 Male
    A-01 Female
    A-03 Male
    A-03 Female
    A-04 Male
    A-04 Female
    B-01 Male
    B-01 Female
    B-02 Male
    B-02 Female
    B-03 Male
    B-03 Female
    B-04 Male
    B-04 Female

Updated TNG Badges:
    TNG/DS9
    TNG film/VOY

These have all been added to their respective sections as well for ease of use.
    Updates to the TNG, TNG Film, DS9 and VOY uniforms coming soon.

For those who would like to know ahead of time, all colors on the TNG, TNG Film and DS9 style uniforms have been lightened by 2 shades with two exceptions. The DS9 and VOY reds have only been lightened by one shade and the Medical variants for all uniforms have been lightened by 4 shades. The Wallpaper versions of these are also invalid and need to be updated. So, keep an eye out for those updates.

Until then, enjoy!

Thank you very much once again for your extremely fantastic work! Another successful set of guides you've produced there and they're all greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Just one extremely very minor thing regarding the Captain's Jacket - wasn't that worn with mid-ankle pants rather than the standard TNG uniform pants?
    edited March 2011
    Actually, I am watching TNG Season 5 right now, and yes. There is a variant that is tucked in Mid-Ankle. I'll see if I can replicate that look with our available options.

The Standard TNG Split is worn with it as well. The Mid-Ankle version seems to only show up when there is ground terrain to deal with, as in the episode Darmok.

Okay, I've scanned through seasons 5 through 7 to check. It appears Picard wears the Mid-Ankle style much more often when wearing that variant. He also wear different boots than standard. As such I will be updating the TNG Captain's Variant Gray and Captain's Variant Jacket guides appropriately.

It looks like the best match is the WoK pants with the Padded Boots.

Thanks for the heads up, Alan.

edited March 2011
    Actually, I am watching TNG Season 5 right now, and yes. There is a variant that is tucked in Mid-Ankle. I'll see if I can replicate that look with our available options.

The Standard TNG Split is worn with it as well. The Mid-Ankle version seems to only show up when there is ground terrain to deal with, as in the episode Darmok.

Okay, I've scanned through seasons 5 through 7 to check. It appears Picard wears the Mid-Ankle style much more often when wearing that variant. He also wear different boots than standard. As such I will be updating the TNG Captain's Variant Gray and Captain's Variant Jacket guides appropriately.

It looks like the best match is the WoK pants with the Padded Boots.

Thanks for the heads up, Alan.

You're welcome. Never ever a problem to help out. Keep up the good work, pal.. :)
    edited March 2011
    The open jacket is my most favourite uniform style in all of TNG (quickly followed by the movie TNG/late DS9 style) so I made my whole crew wearing this.

I think it also looks great with dark teal and dark gold. I also use a slightly darker red and the darkest black (bottom row first on the left) for the jacket shoulders as I feel it does better match the colors of the actual uniform when used in game.

The leathery shoulders are only used in "Darmok" after that it's some cotton-like material. And the red seems to be made of suede and it's actually a dark red or burgundy.

And it looks like Picard never wears the TNG split-pants to the jacket. Instead, he seems to wear ankle length trousers with some sturdier boots - maybe the ankle length cutoffs would fit nicely?

I really love that uniform.

EDIT: Somehow, all mid ankle trousers just don't look right. For the moment, I'll stay with TNG splits.
    edited March 2011
    Would it be so hard for Cryptic to make a "default colors" option for all these uniforms so we don't have to kill ourselves like this?
    edited March 2011
    Open Jackets are here!...
    Lord Blackavvar, I must once again congradulate you on your continued excellence. Thank you.
    edited March 2011
    Okay, the TNG Captain's Variant Gray and Captain's Variant Jacket have been updated with the proper pants. Sorry for the error. Thanks again to Alan for the heads up.

More updates coming soon.

edited March 2011
    Your TNG Captain's Variant Gray link takes me to a blank white page.

Every other pic works.
    edited March 2011
    Your TNG Captain's Variant Gray link takes me to a blank white page.

Every other pic works.

It's working fine here. Link is correct. Trying pressing Ctrl and F5 or clear your cache and try again. Your browser might still be trying to take you to the old version.

NW.jpg 17.8K
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know if the sorted out the issue the issue with the black TNG pants not matching the new texture TNG tops has been fixed yet? Ive messed around with unform editor but they still don't seem to match
    edited March 2011
    It's working fine here. Link is correct. Trying pressing Ctrl and F5 or clear your cache and try again. Your browser might still be trying to take you to the old version.

I figured out it was just my comp being stupid, network issues, my bad. :D
    edited March 2011
    I figured out it was just my comp being stupid, network issues, my bad. :D

No worries, bud. :)
    Nh5316 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they sorted out the issue the issue with the black TNG pants not matching the new texture TNG tops has been fixed yet? Ive messed around with uniform editor but they still don't seem to match

The texture doesn't quite match but as far as the color it seems to match pretty good. It's definitely blacker than it was before. That much is an improvement.

Updates for the DS9 and DS9 Cadet uniforms are done. More to come.

edited March 2011
    Would it be so hard for Cryptic to make a "default colors" option for all these uniforms so we don't have to kill ourselves like this?

Even if they did make the standard canon uniform colors the default, they could only do one. So, you would still need to figure out the medical variants, cadet uniforms, etc. on your own. Besides, not everyone agrees on what colors are truly canon, because not everyone sees colors the same way. My guides are really just a starting point to help you choose whatever colors you feel are best for you.
    Lord Blackavvar, I must once again congratulate you on your continued excellence. Thank you.

Thank you, Vetinari. And you are welcome.

edited March 2011
    And I think they are a great starting point. I usually use yur guide for all my Foundry missions. I said it a couple of times already but let me say it again: Thank you, your guide helps me so much!
    edited March 2011

LMAO like fans could ever agree on what is 'completely' canon ;) let alone default
    edited March 2011
    Patarival wrote: »
    And I think they are a great starting point. I usually use yur guide for all my Foundry missions. I said it a couple of times already but let me say it again: Thank you, your guide helps me so much!

You're very welcome.

Seven of Nine updates are done. More to come.

This discussion has been closed.