test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Also, the uniforms from VOY "Living Witness would be a nice addition as well!

Those uniforms are just the regular VOY/DS9 unifrorms with black undershirts, black gloves, and no combadges.
    edited January 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    The WoK - MU uniforms are here! Check them out!

WoK - MU (Wrath of Khan - Mirror Universe)
    Note: The female Top for these should be a shorter version of the jacket with short sleeves and a belly shirt, but you work with what you've got. :cool:

Command
    Operations - Engineering and Helm
    Operations - Communications and Sciences
    Operations - Tactical
    Operations - Medical
    Junior Officer
    Enlisted/Crewman/Security

These have also been added to the Mirror Universe Uniforms section, for easy reference.

Enjoy!

:cool:

Nice work once again! Keep those variations coming! :)
    edited January 2011
    Also, the uniforms from VOY "Living Witness would be a nice addition as well!

Those uniforms are just the regular VOY/DS9 unifrorms with black undershirts, black gloves, and no combadges.

I was thinking about that set too but as William pointed out, it really is pretty simple to create. Maybe I'll do them anyway for the folks that may not have seen that episode. I only wish I could do the android version of the Doctor. That would be awesome. :D
    Alan_81 wrote: »
    Nice work once again! Keep those variations coming! :)

Thanks! I will.

edited January 2011
    I was thinking about that set too but as William pointed out, it really is pretty simple to create. Maybe I'll do them anyway for the folks that may not have seen that episode. I only wish I could do the android version of the Doctor. That would be awesome. :D

Why can't you do an android version of the Doctor? Is it just due to there being no short back and sides hair cut and android-esque eyes available? G'wan. G'wan and do an android version of the Doctor. :D
    Thanks! I will.

And I'm very glad to read that. :-)

Question for you my friend...I notice on the 25th century uniform guides of yours there's different shades of red, gold, blue, and teal being used...is this deliberate or...dare I say it...a mistake (please don't hit me)? :o
    edited January 2011
    Why can't you do an android version of the Doctor? Is it just due to there being no short back and sides hair cut and android-esque eyes available? G'wan. G'wan and do an android version of the Doctor. :D

That's pretty much the gist of it. Without the hair, it doesn't look like the Doctor and without the eyes he can't look like an android. The closest I could get would be a bald Liberated Borg male with pale skin and really that just looks like a bald Liberated Borg male with pale skin. I'll see what I can do though.
    Question for you my friend...I notice on the 25th century uniform guides of yours there's different shades of red, gold, blue, and teal being used...is this deliberate or...dare I say it...a mistake (please don't hit me)? :o

That is intentional. I matched up most of those uniforms with NPCs that wear them in-game and those are the colors they use. There are only a few exceptions where I could not find the uniform worn by a NPC. In those cases I had to postulate based on what was available.

edited January 2011
    That's pretty much the gist of it. Without the hair, it doesn't look like the Doctor and without the eyes he can't look like an android. The closest I could get would be a bald Liberated Borg male with pale skin and really that just looks like a bald Liberated Borg male with pale skin. I'll see what I can do though.

Ah, just do him bald. It'd be ironic if after all this time of the Doctor trying to grow hair he only ends up making himself lose what little he had already. :)
    That is intentional. I matched up most of those uniforms with NPCs that wear them in-game and those are the colors they use. There are only a few exceptions where I could not find the uniform worn by a NPC. In those cases I had to postulate based on what was available.

Thanks. It was just I'd been browsing your guides and it just suddenly hit that several different shades of the Starfleet colours were being used. As far as I knew it was one shade of the four colours for all the uniforms but seeing that the 25th century A-01 command uniform was only 5 shades of red in whilst the A-02 was 8 shades of red in left me a wee bit confuzzled and made me wonder if whilst making your guides you changed your mind about which red you were gonna use for command uniforms and so on. Now I know you did it deliberately and I'm clear that each uniform class has its own shades of the four colours. Cheers for the explanation.

:)
    edited January 2011
    Would it be possible to include information on how close these are to canon? (e.g. you have the ENT admiral's uniform as close as one can get, but it'd be good to have a record that it's not possible to get a 100% matchup with the show)
    edited January 2011
    Just a heads up, I'm not making requests... just asking for a little advice ^^;

My personal project has been to achieve - as close as possible - the 2230 uniforms from 2009... now, while the lightning sucked in the movie - I got some help from Amosov through some shots of the uniforms on display (without the stupid shakey cam and lense-flare) and beacuse of that, it's a lot easier to make these things. The engineeering staff uniform has a much lighter top - in fact the VOY/DS9/TNG gold color seems to work perfectly for the top and a dark brownish works for the pants

still hate the belt because I can't perfect it

Engineering
    Medical Sciences
    Command/Non-Medical Sciences

vs

Kelvin Uniform 1 & Kelvin Uniform 2 & Kelvin Uniform 3

As you can see, it's as close as I - unskilled as I am - can make them... I don't suppose you've got some advice Blackavaar... or anyone else here who could help me make them better?
    edited January 2011
    Would it be possible to include information on how close these are to canon? (e.g. you have the ENT admiral's uniform as close as one can get, but it'd be good to have a record that it's not possible to get a 100% matchup with the show)

I usually add a note as to what may not match up exactly in the first post in which I add a uniform to one of the guides. In the case of the ENT Admiral uniform I thought the color matched up near perfectly in the different lighting areas in the game. Other than the WoK belt (which is the only available choice) and the lack of the collared shirt and tie it is as close to canon as it is possible to get.

I generally assume that the players know that we have a very limited selection of colors and these guides are all as close as you can get, but I can add a footnote to the OP if you like.

Grig32 wrote: »
    Just a heads up, I'm not making requests... just asking for a little advice ^^;

My personal project has been to achieve - as close as possible - the 2230 uniforms from 2009... now, while the lightning sucked in the movie - I got some help from Amosov through some shots of the uniforms on display (without the stupid shakey cam and lense-flare) and beacuse of that, it's a lot easier to make these things. The engineeering staff uniform has a much lighter top - in fact the VOY/DS9/TNG gold color seems to work perfectly for the top and a dark brownish works for the pants

still hate the belt because I can't perfect it

Engineering
    Medical Sciences
    Command/Non-Medical Sciences

vs

Kelvin Uniform 1 & Kelvin Uniform 2 & Kelvin Uniform 3

As you can see, it's as close as I - unskilled as I am - can make them... I don't suppose you've got some advice Blackavaar... or anyone else here who could help me make them better?

Those are good. I might color the cummerbund to match the pants, since you can't get the belt to line up with them, but otherwise good job. I like.

edited January 2011
    Random request, but any chance you could give suggestions for Geordi visor option? I've tried, but mine always come out as slightly off.
    edited January 2011
    I must say I like those non-canon MU uniforms. Really wish there was a way to get those shorter jackets that the WoK versions call for, but as you said, you work with what you can get. I do have a question on how you envisioned these uniforms. For the WoK versions, is there a skirt variant for the females? And do all females wear the skirt in the Next Gen version or just some? Just curious in how you envision it. When I make custom uniforms (like skirted variants of uniforms that never had them like DS9/VOY and DS9/TNG Films) I create rules on who does and doesn't, so I'm curious if there's any you envisioned on these MU uniforms.

Anyways, I hope you go and create more of these Mirror Universe versions of other uniforms. I say go in the direction of the DS9/VOY uniforms next, then the DS9/TNG Films before hitting the All Good Things... uniforms. I expect we'll never see a MU version of the Motion Picture uniforms...those things in the top might make it difficult to to add a belt to them.
    edited January 2011
    Random request, but any chance you could give suggestions for Geordi visor option? I've tried, but mine always come out as slightly off.

Certainly. Here is a guide for the Multispectral Visor.
    I must say I like those non-canon MU uniforms. Really wish there was a way to get those shorter jackets that the WoK versions call for, but as you said, you work with what you can get. I do have a question on how you envisioned these uniforms. For the WoK versions, is there a skirt variant for the females? And do all females wear the skirt in the Next Gen version or just some? Just curious in how you envision it. When I make custom uniforms (like skirted variants of uniforms that never had them like DS9/VOY and DS9/TNG Films) I create rules on who does and doesn't, so I'm curious if there's any you envisioned on these MU uniforms.

Anyways, I hope you go and create more of these Mirror Universe versions of other uniforms. I say go in the direction of the DS9/VOY uniforms next, then the DS9/TNG Films before hitting the All Good Things... uniforms. I expect we'll never see a MU version of the Motion Picture uniforms...those things in the top might make it difficult to to add a belt to them.

Thanks! And thank you once again for suggesting them.

In order to keep them looking TNG or WoK style I found it necessary to keep at least one part of that set. The TNG uniforms could very well have belly variants, but I found when I used the choices we have, the characters no longer looked like they belonged to that era. Same goes for the WoK uniforms. If you take away the pants, they no longer appear to fit with the rest of the uniforms. I suppose if you did a female version with a WoK jacket and skirt, that might work. But with the TNG uniforms, going with just the pants isn't enough to make it feel TNG.

I am currently working on getting the DS9 Off Duty styles worn in their Mirror episodes down. I don't think doing a DS9/VOY uniform would be proper, since according to those episodes the Terran Empire had been defeated and subjugated by the Klingon Cardassian Alliance at that time. It is only in the last Mirror episode that they have begun to really take back their Empire. A TNG Film uniform might be in order, but these would be completely speculative, as would AGT.

edited January 2011
    Hey there Blackavaar. Got a suggestion for a uniform you could possibly do a guide for. In one of the Unlimited comic books published by Marvel and Paramount back in the '90's I seem to recall there was a stealth uniform in the style of the TOS uniforms but it was all black in colour. There's no rank insignia but everyone that was wearing it still displayed the Enterprise's command delta.

An all black TOS uniform is a pretty simple thing to do, guide or no guide I admit...but I figured it might be something you'd like to do a guide for to give our fellow fans even more variety of ideas. I certainly know that the more uniform choices there are, the merrier I am.

Just some food for thought my friend.

edited January 2011
    Hey there Blackavaar. Got a suggestion for a uniform you could possibly do a guide for. In one of the Unlimited comic books published by Marvel and Paramount back in the '90's I seem to recall there was a stealth uniform in the style of the TOS uniforms but it was all black in colour. There's no rank insignia but everyone that was wearing it still displayed the Enterprise's command delta.

An all black TOS uniform is a pretty simple thing to do, guide or no guide I admit...but I figured it might be something you'd like to do a guide for to give our fellow fans even more variety of ideas. I certainly know that the more uniform choices there are, the merrier I am.

Just some food for thought my friend.

Funny you should say that. I have just recently redone my Borg captain's crew with just such a uniform. He's just hit URA, so he's ready to do the STFs and I wanted a new look for those. I'll post an image of them when I get a chance and I'll definitely consider adding a guide for it.

edited January 2011
    Thanks! And thank you once again for suggesting them.

In order to keep them looking TNG or WoK style I found it necessary to keep at least one part of that set. The TNG uniforms could very well have belly variants, but I found when I used the choices we have, the characters no longer looked like they belonged to that era. Same goes for the WoK uniforms. If you take away the pants, they no longer appear to fit with the rest of the uniforms. I suppose if you did a female version with a WoK jacket and skirt, that might work. But with the TNG uniforms, going with just the pants isn't enough to make it feel TNG.

I am currently working on getting the DS9 Off Duty styles worn in their Mirror episodes down. I don't think doing a DS9/VOY uniform would be proper, since according to those episodes the Terran Empire had been defeated and subjugated by the Klingon Cardassian Alliance at that time. It is only in the last Mirror episode that they have begun to really take back their Empire. A TNG Film uniform might be in order, but these would be completely speculative, as would AGT.

Ah, yes. You are, of course, correct in that you should prioritize the canon stuff from DS9 first. Then maybe head on to the DS9/TNG Films next and maybe the AGT uniforms. My request for a MU variant to the DS9/VOY uniforms was since we were already heading into the realm of the speculative, why not do a MU version of uniforms we have seen in our universe but we know never was in the MU we've seen. See what would've been if the Terran Empire never fell.
    edited January 2011
    Funny you should say that. I have just recently redone my Borg captain's crew with just such a uniform. He's just hit URA, so he's ready to do the STFs and I wanted a new look for those. I'll post an image of them when I get a chance and I'll definitely consider adding a guide for it.

How's that for a coincidence then. Well I'm glad you're giving that uniform suggestion some thought for a future guide and I look forward to seeing images of your URA Borg captain in that uniform. :)
    edited January 2011
    Thank you so much for the work on this, Blackavaar. My toons really look great now. I've been using the unis that best fit their ships... such as WoK for my Excelsior and so on. :)
    edited January 2011
    How's that for a coincidence then. Well I'm glad you're giving that uniform suggestion some thought for a future guide and I look forward to seeing images of your URA Borg captain in that uniform. :)

Here they are. Captain One and the crew of the U.S.S. Majestic.
    From left to right that's Gir, Onnelee, Chaan, Zekk, Karoh, Captain One, Janok, Tarah, Elur, Treah and Cela.

Thank you so much for the work on this, Blackavaar. My toons really look great now. I've been using the unis that best fit their ships... such as WoK for my Excelsior and so on. :)

You're very welcome. I do the same thing with several of my characters.

edited January 2011
    From left to right that's Gir, Onnelee, Chaan, Zekk, Karoh, Captain One, Janok, Tarah, Elur, Treah and Cela.

Quite a group you've got there and your ships looks great rockin' a Tron-esque-look. Also the TOS miniskirts and Counsellor uniforms all in black...wow.

If ever I have my crew in that uniform, I might make a subtle change and maybe put the department colours on the collar instead.

I'll have to return the favour and put up pics of my crew...if I can stay connected to the game long enough to take pics.

Just a quick question for you mate...you mentioned that your Borg was an URA but I notice you have him wearing captain's stripes. I don't know if this will come across as making any sense but is it possible to be in an admiral's position and rank but still be referred to as a captain by your crew and other characters in the game? Thanks in advance.

edited January 2011
    Just a quick question for you mate...you mentioned that your Borg was an URA but I notice you have him wearing captain's stripes. I don't know if this will come across as making any sense but is it possible to be in an admiral's position and rank but still be referred to as a captain by your crew and other characters in the game? Thanks in advance.

Well, you can use the Captain title, so that other players can still refer to you as Captain. But as far as the NPCs references, they seem to always go by your rank. There doesn't seem to be any way to change that. It's probably a command line in the text that automatically draws from your current rank. It would be nice if it could be rewritten to draw from your title instead, then you could also be referred to as Ambassador or Envoy if you wished.

Maybe sometime in the future Cryptic will consider rewriting those commands.

I look forward to seeing your crew.

edited January 2011
    Well, you can use the Captain title, so that other players can still refer to you as Captain. But as far as the NPCs references, they seem to always go by your rank. There doesn't seem to be any way to change that. It's probably a command line in the text that automatically draws from your current rank. It would be nice if it could be rewritten to draw from your title instead, then you could also be referred to as Ambassador or Envoy if you wished.

Thanks for answering so quickly. Much appreciated.

I agree, it'd be good if Cryptic did make those rewrites so as to make it flexible for those who want to be known by NPC's as a captain or an admiral.

Another reason I asked is that it just seems odd to me to be a Vice Admiral, commanding a ship, and going down on away missions. But then again it never really stopped James Kirk did it, so I guess you could just say that most 25th century Admirals model themselves after him by not wanting to be stuck behind a desk at HQ, they wanna be "out there" making a difference.

I'll get my crew pics up as soon as I possibly can. Watch this quadrant.

edited January 2011
    It is war in the 25th Century, and war tends to have Admirals and Generals "out there" instead of behind a desk. So I'm not so sure it's the Admirals basing themselves on Captain Kirk or following the demands of their era.
    edited January 2011
    It is war in the 25th Century, and war tends to have Admirals and Generals "out there" instead of behind a desk. So I'm not so sure it's the Admirals basing themselves on Captain Kirk or following the demands of their era.

Excellent point you raised there. You could very well be right. In ST: FC an Admiral led a fleet against the Borg and there was an Admiral commanding a ship in the final battle of the Dominion War for ST: DS9 so there's certainly TV evidence to back-up what you say. I guess in times of war its all hands on deck no matter what your rank.
    edited January 2011

You're very welcome. I do the same thing with several of my characters.

Yeah thanks to your guide, I like to make themed crews.
    Like my Joined Trill is all 25th century uniforms, the ones you see NPC on ESD wear, except for him who wears the Command Admiral uniform. My Vulcan is all AGT, Betazoid is TNG film, Caitian is WoK, Rigelian is Enterprise, and Liberated Borg is Section 31 (was originally going to do Voyager but too close to TNG Film and the Section 31 looks great).Whenever they release the Android species, I'll probably go TNG series and then with Hologram species I'll probably go TOS Mirror. Yes, I have a ton of characters.

But your guide makes all of this possible. I'm a bit OCD so when the color is off or doesn't look right, it drives me crazy.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah thanks to your guide, I like to make themed crews.
    Like my Joined Trill is all 25th century uniforms, the ones you see NPC on ESD wear, except for him who wears the Command Admiral uniform. My Vulcan is all AGT, Betazoid is TNG film, Caitian is WoK, Rigelian is Enterprise, and Liberated Borg is Section 31 (was originally going to do Voyager but too close to TNG Film and the Section 31 looks great).Whenever they release the Android species, I'll probably go TNG series and then with Hologram species I'll probably go TOS Mirror. Yes, I have a ton of characters.

But your guide makes all of this possible. I'm a bit OCD so when the color is off or doesn't look right, it drives me crazy.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm glad I could help.

BTW, I see you. ;)

edited January 2011
    I see the Fed ships but what about a KDF guide, or did I miss it somwhere
    edited January 2011

As promised here's the crew of my ship, the USS Freedom:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Alan-WK/USSFreedomCrew.jpg

Top Row (left to right): O'Neill, Takerra, Gerool, T'Pal, Suvit, Dezuz, Klef

Second Row (left to right): Beylang, Yoto, Magnus, Goroer, Sho'zab, Sek, Jhinyn

Third Row (left to right): Carter, L'Shonea, Seven of Seven, Corees, T'Klol, Malpv, K'Ihlowr

Fourth Row (left to right): A.J., Irick, T'Losu, Moxeh

edited January 2011
    Hiya Blackavaar,

Have you done (I couldn't find it), or you could you please do up, a duplicate of the Starfleet Photonic Science Bridge Officer (the Refer-a-Friend prize BO). I think it's a B-04 top, but I can't figure out the blue color they are using. And what would you recommend for the Tac Red and Eng Yellow (Gold)? Medical Teal? Etc.

I have an Alt and I was thinking since I can't change my Holo Doc's uniform, I'd let the tail wag the dog and I'd outfit that Captain and her BOs in matching costumes to the Doc.

Thanks in advance.
    edited January 2011
    Randyd9090 wrote: »
    I see the Fed ships but what about a KDF guide, or did I miss it somwhere

I've been working on one bit by bit, but before now nobody seemed interested. I've been working on my Klingon main more lately. I guess I'll have to step it up a bit. :)
    As promised here's the crew of my ship, the USS Freedom:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Alan-WK/USSFreedomCrew.jpg

Top Row (left to right): O'Neill, Takerra, Gerool, T'Pal, Suvit, Dezuz, Klef

Second Row (left to right): Beylang, Yoto, Magnus, Goroer, Sho'zab, Sek, Jhinyn

Third Row (left to right): Carter, L'Shonea, Seven of Seven, Corees, T'Klol, Malpv, K'Ihlowr

Fourth Row (left to right): A.J., Irick, T'Losu, Moxeh

Nice crew you got there. For a sec I was like, "Hey! How did you get a Benzite BOff?" Then I realized that it must be an Alien. Nice mock-up. You got the Moxeh!
    Hiya Blackavaar,

Have you done (I couldn't find it), or you could you please do up, a duplicate of the Starfleet Photonic Science Bridge Officer (the Refer-a-Friend prize BO). I think it's a B-04 top, but I can't figure out the blue color they are using. And what would you recommend for the Tac Red and Eng Yellow (Gold)? Medical Teal? Etc.

I have an Alt and I was thinking since I can't change my Holo Doc's uniform, I'd let the tail wag the dog and I'd outfit that Captain and her BOs in matching costumes to the Doc.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I still do not have a Hologram of my own, but I think I finally got a new recruit who might stick around so... here's hoping.

If you have a few pics in different in-game lighting you can link, I might be able to figure it out though.

edited January 2011
    Nice crew you got there. For a sec I was like, "Hey! How did you get a Benzite BOff?" Then I realized that it must be an Alien. Nice mock-up. You got the Moxeh!

Thanks for the kind words. :) Yeah, I'm quite happy with my motley crew and my Benzite custom. Whilst I was putting him together I was disappointed that I couldn't find the breathing apparatus thing that those two TNG Benzites wore at the front of their uniforms but then I recalled that there was a Benzite seen in DS9 that didn't have one so I'm fine with not having that available.

I must admit that I do hope that things like the Benzite breathing thing and sashes for Starfleet Klingons become available at some point for those people who'd like to have them for their crews.

One thing I find astonishing is that I've got a Unity bridge for my ship and so many empty seats that need filling and yet only a few of my bridge officers get used. I think its insane. I look forward to the day when the option becomes available for me to put the people I imagine as my XO, Chief Engineer, etc. to be at where I want them to be on my ship.

This discussion has been closed.