Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Cuatela wrote:
    Janeway:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Kathryn_Janeway,_2377.jpg <--- gold pips
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Kathryn_Janeway,_2371.jpg <-- gold pips
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:JanewayCollectiveNegotiation.jpg <--- gold pips

Tuvok:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Tuvok_2371.jpg <-- gold pips
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Tuvok2378.jpg <--- gold pips

Tom Paris:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Tom_Paris,_2376.jpg <--- a little harder to see, but definitely gold

There are others, if you want to look through the personnel list, but I think I've made my point?'

Otherwise, nice work.

Thank you, but I'd just like to point out that if you watch the shows, instead of looking at stills you can see what I mean by "If these pips were done like the TOS rank stripes (having a gold sheen built in) they would look perfect." As the characters move around you can see the pips change radically from silver to gold then back again quite often.

Even so, you can choose to use gold as you wish. It's just a guide after all.

:cool:
    edited December 2010
    The pips on Voyager are gold or my name is George, and it's not. ;)

The only time the pips were silver in the 24th Century was during the first 2 seasons of TNG. After that production swapped to a gold color for the pips and did not look back.

And on the note of the TOS braids, looks like the devs went in an slipped in a fix to the recolor problem.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/startrek2011/TOSSilver.jpg

That's straight up silver, not even close to the TOS braids of Gold, which would be the second box in from the left.
    edited December 2010
    Looks like they also slipped in a fix for the silver pips with the gold sheen, like I mentioned.

Example 1
    Example 2

edited December 2010
    Yep, no more gold sheen on there, just straight up silver.
    edited December 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Thank you, but I'd just like to point out that if you watch the shows, instead of looking at stills you can see what I mean by "If these pips were done like the TOS rank stripes (having a gold sheen built in) they would look perfect." As the characters move around you can see the pips change radically from silver to gold then back again quite often.

Oh, I've seen the shows...saw them when they came on originally (back when they were on UPN), and reruns on Spike. Unfortunately, I don't have the DVD's, so I can't go back and study them. Still shots are all I have to go on :/
    edited December 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »
    I noticed an odd thing to mention, if you hit randomize in the tailor for just the legs, you can cycle through some of the other costume pieces beyond the one "assigned" with the top piece. Its how I managed to to get one of my female characters in a bustier and jeans combo. Perhaps you could use that to get the aquablue Troi dress.

I don't know. I've randomized the bottom only about a hundred times on four or five characters and several different costume slots and I'm not getting those Off Duty bottoms with a Uniform top. Maybe they fixed the bug that allowed that or something?
    Morgomir wrote: »
    By the way, if you didnt know the AGT uniforms are available for customization using the Foundry tools. Thus if you wanted to you could make the guide to those and get them out of the way before they are even released..just a thought. :)

I tried that, but I don't seem to be able to zoom out enough to get full body shots. My new wireless mouse wheel doesn't work on those screens. They need to add a click to zoom in and out like at the Tailor.

edited December 2010

For which I am happy to have you take the time to do. :)
    edited December 2010
    I don't know. I've randomized the bottom only about a hundred times on four or five characters and several different costume slots and I'm not getting those Off Duty bottoms with a Uniform top. Maybe they fixed the bug that allowed that or something?

I haven't been able to duplicate that either, and I spent several minutes in both uniform and off-duty slots (including an "extra" slot that I've bought)
    edited December 2010
    Heeey, awesome work. :cool:

Any chance, however, of getting a guide for Commander Bradden's Starfleet Intelligence variant of the Vice Admiral Coat? He can be seen on the "Factions" section off of the main STO page.
    edited December 2010
    Hey man...first off I wanna say AWESOME work!

Any chance of getting a flag officer variant for the ENT unis (and possibly MU ENT as well?) I just can't seem to make it work and you seem to have a knack for puttin all of it together just right
    edited December 2010
    Husnock01 wrote: »
    Heeey, awesome work. :cool:

Any chance, however, of getting a guide for Commander Bradden's Starfleet Intelligence variant of the Vice Admiral Coat? He can be seen on the "Factions" section off of the main STO page.
    Hey man...first off I wanna say AWESOME work!

Any chance of getting a flag officer variant for the ENT unis (and possibly MU ENT as well?) I just can't seem to make it work and you seem to have a knack for puttin all of it together just right

Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into those ones for you.

edited December 2010
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into those ones for you.

Awesome! I've wanted that coat ever since I first saw it, but I'm too obsessive-compulsive a follower of your guides to try to attempt it myself. :o

*Seriously, I don't use a uniform unless there's a Blackavaar color guide for it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
    edited December 2010
    Sir Blackavaar,

I'm at work and can't access your Troi pictures (can't access Photobucket here). I'll look at them later, but I expect they're great.

I haven't purchased the costume yet, the reviews have been poor, and I have some questions. Maybe you can answer them for me? For starters, it looks in the C-Store pictures like there are a lot of wrinkles in what should be a skin-tight outfit. Am I seeing too much cloth bunching?

I read a post in the forums (and another, I can't find at the moment) that there is a problem displaying rank insignia, is this so?

And lastly, am I to understand correctly that this C-Store Costume "Pack" is just a shirt and shoes wearable by only Federation Females? That there's no first season skant (though you've made a work around) or other accessories?
    edited December 2010
    And lastly, am I to understand correctly that this C-Store Costume "Pack" is just a shirt and shoes wearable by only Federation Females? That there's no first season skant (though you've made a work around) or other accessories?

Yep, as per Stormshade: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3222385#post3222385
    edited December 2010
    Here are those missing few you guys requested. They have also been added to the appropriate sections for your convenience. Note on the ENT Admiral uniform: The Admiral rank pips should be displayed on both sides of the top. Unfortunately in game they only appear on one side.

TOS Engineering and Maintenance Technician
    TNG Engineering and Maintenance Technician

ENT Admiral's Uniform
    ENT - MU Admiral's Uniform

Vice Admiral Starfleet Intelligence Variant

Enjoy!

edited December 2010
    Sir Blackavaar,

I'm at work and can't access your Troi pictures (can't access Photobucket here). I'll look at them later, but I expect they're great.

I haven't purchased the costume yet, the reviews have been poor, and I have some questions. Maybe you can answer them for me? For starters, it looks in the C-Store pictures like there are a lot of wrinkles in what should be a skin-tight outfit. Am I seeing too much cloth bunching?

I read a post in the forums (and another, I can't find at the moment) that there is a problem displaying rank insignia, is this so?

Yes, there is some clipping with the rank insignia, but as Deanna Troi never wore her rank with the jumpsuit, it doesn't come into play if you are keeping to canon. So, it didn't hinder me at all.

And there are a number of wrinkles in the jumpsuit, but as similar wrinkles do appear from time to time in the show I don't see them as an issue, though they could be toned down just a bit.

The v-shaped belt Troi wore with the Jumpsuit during Season One (she only wore the Skant for Encounter at Farpoint) is missing. I have mentioned this is the afore mentioned thread. The T'Pol belt fills in fairly well, but the proper belt would be preferable. Hopefully they will add it soon.

I am actually more concerned at this point with the Admiral pips on the ENT uniforms. It seems that they only appear on one side, though in the series they were worn on both sides.

edited December 2010
    Husnock01 wrote: »
    Awesome! I've wanted that coat ever since I first saw it, but I'm too obsessive-compulsive a follower of your guides to try to attempt it myself. :o

*Seriously, I don't use a uniform unless there's a Blackavaar color guide for it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Thank you, Husnock! That's a great compliment. I hope you like how it came out.

edited December 2010
    Here are those missing few you guys requested. They have also been added to the appropriate sections for your convenience.

TOS Engineering and Maintenance Technician
    TNG Engineering and Maintenance Technician

Maintenance Orange Hooray!
    edited December 2010
    i don't have the Enterprise Uniforms yet. Are those Enterprise uniforms two pieces? I ask as I wondered if you could use the top with the TOS pants? I thought that combo might work well for the blue and red TOS technician jumpsuits? The sleeves on the show were 3/4 length, but I thought this combo might do the trick?

EDIT for link: http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/reply/8403/t/Re-TOS-Technician-Jumper.html
    edited December 2010
    i don't have the Enterprise Uniforms yet. Are those Enterprise uniforms two pieces? I ask as I wondered if you could use the top with the TOS pants? I thought that combo might work well for the blue and red TOS technician jumpsuits? The sleeves on the show were 3/4 length, but I thought this combo might do the trick?

EDIT for link: http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/reply/8403/t/Re-TOS-Technician-Jumper.html

Yes, they are two pieces. Top and Bottom. And check out my Cadet, Technicians and Thugs section for the Technician coveralls. I found it looks best just to go with the long ENT pants, emulating the longer legged versions of the coveralls. The texture on the TOS pants just doesn't match with the ENT top. Plus, without the ENT pants it doesn't look quite like a one piece any more.

edited December 2010
    Thank you, Husnock! That's a great compliment. I hope you like how it came out.

It's awesome! Can't wait to deck my character out in it. :cool:
    edited December 2010
    You excited for the new TMP uniforms out tomorrow? I know I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

Come spring I think you should hold a fashion show on ESD
    edited December 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »
    You excited for the new TMP uniforms out tomorrow? I know I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

Come spring I think you should hold a fashion show on ESD

Yes, I'm very excited! Can't wait. I have TMP queued up to play first thing tomorrow.

You guys may have to wait a bit for the guides to be posted though. I'm on vacation and I don't have access to my good machine. I estimate the guides will be posted shortly after the new year. I hope you don't mind waiting. I'll post some screen shots for you at least when I get a chance.

And a Canon Fashion Show sounds like a great idea. Maybe a contest and some prizes or something? Will have to consider that.

edited December 2010
    Yes, I'm very excited! Can't wait. I have TMP queued up to play first thing tomorrow.

You guys may have to wait a bit for the guides to be posted though. I'm on vacation and I don't have access to my good machine. I estimate the guides will be posted shortly after the new year. I hope you don't mind waiting. I'll post some screen shots for you at least when I get a chance.

And a Canon Fashion Show sounds like a great idea. Maybe a contest and some prizes or something? Will have to consider that.

More than happy to wait! I'm sure your TMP uniform guides will be as fantastic as all the rest you've put together! Enjoy your holiday and drink plenty of eggnog. You deserve it. :)

Happy holidays everyone!!!!
    edited December 2010
    Alan_81 wrote: »
    More than happy to wait! I'm sure your TMP uniform guides will be as fantastic as all the rest you've put together! Enjoy your holiday and drink plenty of eggnog. You deserve it. :)

Happy holidays everyone!!!!

Thank you, Alan.

Here are those screen shots I promised.

Admiral Blackavaar 1
    Admiral Blackavaar 2
    Admiral Blackavaar 3

TMP Crew 1
    TMP Crew 2

I have the colors all worked out and will be all ready to make the guides when I get back from holiday.
    Until then, have a Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year!!!

edited December 2010
    ...Here are those screen shots I promised....

I have the colors all worked out and will be all ready to make the guides when I get back from holiday.
    Until then, have a Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year!!!
    They look great Blackavaar. I look forward to your guides!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all the rest of us Canon Costume Fellows!
    edited December 2010
    Just noticed that you can't change the background color on the badges for your bridge crew beyond the normal gold, silver, black options. You can on your captain though, kinda sucks if you want to personalize all your BO's to match cannon department colors...but I look forward to your guide to come out. In fact I always use your guide when making any of my uniform options...except my sexy hot pink formal suit. :rolleyes:
    edited January 2011
    Might want to report that as a bug.
    edited January 2011
    I'm back everyone! Happy New Year!

Working on the TMP guides now. I expect to have them posted within the next couple days.

The problem with the TMP badge seems to be the difference between male and female. For some reason males have the secondary color which allows them to change the backfield color while females do not. I have reported this as a bug and received a positive reply from the GMs. I am hopeful that this will be fixed soon and I will update the images for the guides when they are.

Thanks for all the warm wishes.

edited January 2011
    I just want to say thanks for your Canon color guides. I've used the TNG Canon colors (which I think were the same basic colors for DS9 and VOY) for all of my characters, no matter what uniforms they're in. They look great, and I'm happy that someone has your passion to figure them out for us.

I'm a stickler for the Canon colors, honestly. Anything else, while nice looking when I see them, just doesn't feel right for me.
This discussion has been closed.