test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    I've answered this before, but since it's been a while here goes again.

If you actually watch the shows (not just looking at stills) you'll notice that that lavender shade is actually an effect of the lighting in different areas of the ship/station. Most of the time the collars actually appear gray. Using the cool gray I have selected you can get the same lavender effect when standing in similarly lighted areas in the game while at the same time having the slate and cool gray shades in other areas.

:cool:

I would like to place in my own two cents here. A couple days ago, I watched an entire episode of DS9, The Search Part 1. The entire episode bugged me because the grey undershirt I have on my early DS9/Voyager uniformed characters was actually a washed out, dulled purple color in almost all lighting situations. I think only when they were attacked by Jem'hadar and boarded, or in the dulled lighting when the Defiant cloaked did it approach a grey color.

However, watching a DVD copy of the Voyager episode entitled "Death Wish" has revealed the undershirt to be grey. I need to check to further episodes and sources to either confirm or deny with you, Blackavaar, as the copy of The Search Part 1 I had watched was off the internet. However, in light of this revelation, is it not possible that there were actually two different colored undershirts? Possibly either from character to character or series to series? Maybe even episode to episode?
    edited December 2010
    It's possible that the costume designer for the show had differently colored versions made up. It's also possible that some were discolored over time seeing as how costumes do have to be washed. But I'd say that it is also possible for the lighting of an episode to make the costumes appear different for an entire episode if the cast spend enough time in similar lighting. I'd also say it is possible that the coloration of an episode could be distorted during recording to a YouTube video or being ripped or downloaded from an internet source.

The coloration for this guide are based on the DVD video (actual copies) collections which I have watched in sequence from beginning to end numerous times, not an episode or two gleamed off of the internet. In addition, I also confer with a number of friends in-game and ask for opinions from other players to make sure that the colors chosen are as accurate as possible. And I have been known to make corrections based on feedback from players.

edited December 2010
    Just pointing out that in the TNG era Cadet Uniforms, which look awesome by the way, it would appear that there were division branch colors during that time.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070817230249/memoryalpha/en/images/0/01/Mitena_haro.jpg

Picard instantly recognized that uniform as a Starfleet Cadet Uniform, including the Engineering/Operations gold.

And I'll be printing these out ASAP. :D
    edited December 2010
    Woo-hoo! Stickied finally! I have it as a subscribed thread but still, nice to see some recognition for the great work you've done on these. Thanks again!
    edited December 2010
    Just pointing out that in the TNG era Cadet Uniforms, which look awesome by the way, it would appear that there were division branch colors during that time.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070817230249/memoryalpha/en/images/0/01/Mitena_haro.jpg

Picard instantly recognized that uniform as a Starfleet Cadet Uniform, including the Engineering/Operations gold.

And I'll be printing these out ASAP. :D

It is not entirely clear when these were worn or if they were limited to senior cadets or something. If you watch other TNG episodes when Wesley was at the academy all of the cadets appear to where red regardless of division, even Red Squad, which later appears in DS9 in both the red only (early in the series) and the divisional color uniforms (later on). I think it must be the senior cadet thing.

I still plan on adding them soon for completeness sake.

edited December 2010
    And the Vice Admiral Mirror Universe Uniforms have been added. In addition to finding them below you can also find them on the 25th Century Mirror Universe Guide.

Note: For the lower portion of the uniform I had to postulate as I have not seen the full uniform displayed in game, only the top. And as the Federation has their gold versions, I also created similar variants for these.

Command 1
    Command 2
    Operations 1
    Operations 2
    Sciences 1
    Sciences 2

Enjoy!

edited December 2010
    Looks like you're all set until the Consular Troi uniform comes out this week. :)
    edited December 2010
    Looks like you're all set until the Consular Troi uniform comes out this week. :)

Not quite. I'm working on those "Declared" or "Senior Class" Cadet uniforms now.

I would also like to request help on this as I am unsure what to call them. I've got some friends that say that they are not necessarily Senior Class cadets. They have simply Declared their Career Path (Command/Helm, Tactical/Engineering, Science/Medical). Then others say that despite their not necessarily being Senior Class cadets, although that would be the point at which declaration would be mandatory, that Senior Class Cadet Uniforms simply sounds better than Declared Cadet Uniforms.

What do you guys and gals think? Opinions please.

Senior Class Cadet Uniforms

or

Declared Cadet Uniforms

You decide.

edited December 2010
    Declared Cadet Unifroms.

What usually happens is that most undergraduate students enter college completely unsure of what their major is going to be and thus have the status of being undeclared. Once you choose, or declare, a major you're actively working towards finishing up your degree and gearing up to graduate.
    edited December 2010
    Okay, no one else is going to weigh in, so Declared it is. Here they are.

TNG Command Declared Cadet Uniform 1
    TNG Operations Declared Cadet Uniform 1
    TNG Sciences Declared Cadet Uniform 1
    TNG Medical Declared Cadet Uniform 1

DS9 Command Declared Cadet Uniform
    DS9 Operations Declared Cadet Uniform
    DS9 Sciences Declared Cadet Uniform
    DS9 Medical Declared Cadet Uniform

And of course they have been added to the Cadets, Technicians and Thugs Guide as well.
    For the TNG Declared Cadet 2 uniforms simply use the DS9 versions and substitute the TNG series badge.

Enjoy!

edited December 2010
    Damn, your quick with these.
    edited December 2010
    Excellent work Blackavaar! I love the VA MU unis. Also, I'm happy you went with Declared Cadet Uni. Sounds better.
    edited December 2010
    Damn, you're quick with these.

Thanks! But like I said, I was already aware of them and I had already started the work. So, it probably seems like I am quicker than I am.
    Excellent work Blackavaar! I love the VA MU unis. Also, I'm happy you went with Declared Cadet Uni. Sounds better.

Thank you!

edited December 2010
    Congrats on the stickie. Nice work on the coveralls.

Pity you missed the Maintenance Division orange, but us over in food replication systems and door repair are used to it. :)
    edited December 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »
    Congrats on the stickie. Nice work on the coveralls.

Pity you missed the Maintenance Division orange, but us over in food replication systems and door repair are used to it. :)

I knew I remembered seeing orange at some point, but in my reviewing I have not seen it yet. I've watched seasons 2 and 3 of TOS and most of the Voyager series and I am now about halfway through the TNG series.

Can you site an episode so that I can check it out?

edited December 2010
    I don't think I've posted here before, and it's about bloody time to say this. Thank you Blackavaar. This guide is invaluable.
    edited December 2010
    I wonder how long it will be before Blackavaar has the Consular Troi Uniform color guides done. ;)
    edited December 2010
    I wonder how long it will be before Blackavaar has the Consular Troi Uniform color guides done. ;)
    I don't know, but I for one will say it's taking too damn long! I can't believe how unreliably pokey Blackavaar's being with the new updates. Sheesh... Give the guy a Stickied Thread and he forgets about us little people. :mad:

:D:p
    edited December 2010
    Of course I'm just kidding on the above, you all know that right?!?

Seriously, I'm sure Blackavaar will get 'em out with all due alarcity.

On another note, I do wonder, will there be "Off Duty" versions of the 7of9 costumes, now that the Borg-Hand-Implant can be used with ODs?
    edited December 2010
    Be assured, the Counselor Troi outfits will be added very soon.

As for the Seven of Nine Off Duty outfits, I will be looking into it.

edited December 2010
    You taking a look at the Klingon vet. costum part?
    edited December 2010
    You taking a look at the Klingon vet. costum part?

Yes, I'll be checking that one out too.

edited December 2010
    Didn't take me long at all.

Note as before, these uniforms would actually be closer to canon if I had access to the Off Duty color pallet. Funny how the thing that keeps us from making canon uniforms is the thing that is supposed to be keeping us in canon.

Anyway, here they are!

Counselor Troi 1
    Counselor Troi 2
    Counselor Troi 3
    Counselor Troi 4
    Counselor Troi 5
    Counselor Troi 6
    Counselor Troi 7

Hope you like them. Enjoy!

edited December 2010
    I noticed an odd thing to mention, if you hit randomize in the tailor for just the legs, you can cycle through some of the other costume pieces beyond the one "assigned" with the top piece. Its how I managed to to get one of my female characters in a bustier and jeans combo. Perhaps you could use that to get the aquablue Troi dress.
    edited December 2010
    Very Cool.

I love how you managed to get Troi's Season 1 outfit made aswell.
    edited December 2010
    Be assured, the Counselor Troi outfits will be added very soon.

As for the Seven of Nine Off Duty outfits, I will be looking into it.

By the way, if you didnt know the AGT uniforms are available for customization using the Foundry tools. Thus if you wanted to you could make the guide to those and get them out of the way before they are even released..just a thought. :)
    edited December 2010
    Morgomir wrote: »
    By the way, if you didnt know the AGT uniforms are available for customization using the Foundry tools. Thus if you wanted to you could make the guide to those and get them out of the way before they are even released..just a thought. :)

Nice find. You're a clever one you are. :)
    edited December 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »
    I noticed an odd thing to mention, if you hit randomize in the tailor for just the legs, you can cycle through some of the other costume pieces beyond the one "assigned" with the top piece. Its how I managed to to get one of my female characters in a bustier and jeans combo. Perhaps you could use that to get the aquablue Troi dress.
    Morgomir wrote: »

I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the tips. :cool:
    Very Cool.

I love how you managed to get Troi's Season 1 outfit made aswell.

Thanks! The Skant was a tough one but I managed to get it pretty close, didn't I?

edited December 2010
    Color wise, for the skant you're spot on. Model wise, it's probably as close as it's going to get until the Season 1 costumes for TNG are added to the game.
    edited December 2010
    Because the Voyager pips are more silver than gold. I've been watching a lot Voyager recently and I noticed that their pips look like white gold. Since there is not an appropriate silver with a gold sheen I find silver looks more accurate. If these pips were done like the TOS rank stripes they would look perfect.

Actually the silver with the gold sheen looks more accurate to me, since in many of the TOS episodes the stripes appear a more faded gold, as if the uniforms were being washed too often.

And the cool gray looks more accurate to me. It works better with the different lighting effects in the game, taking on the proper tones at the proper time.

Janeway:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Kathryn_Janeway,_2377.jpg <--- gold pips
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Kathryn_Janeway,_2371.jpg <-- gold pips
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:JanewayCollectiveNegotiation.jpg <--- gold pips

Tuvok:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Tuvok_2371.jpg <-- gold pips
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Tuvok2378.jpg <--- gold pips

Tom Paris:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Tom_Paris,_2376.jpg <--- a little harder to see, but definitely gold

There are others, if you want to look through the personnel list, but I think I've made my point?'

Otherwise, nice work.
This discussion has been closed.