test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stuck at "Retrieving list of characters".

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I had this problem a lot the first couple of weeks of retail. I found that by entering the game in 'safe mode' I would get my character screen quick.

To enter STO in Safe Mode open Options on the Launcher then select Safe Mode in the popup box then hit OK,

Works for those that can't get into or out of Sol without locking up.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Phoxe wrote:
    Hey everyone!

I just checked in with our EXPERTS in this, and wanted to drop in and give you all a brief explaination to the best of my knowledge on the subject:

We're having a few hiccups on the servers - they're perfectly stable in a traditional sense in that we don't seem to be at any risk of crashing, or anything like that.

These "hiccups" are very short in duration, and should only have the effect of preventing you from logging in for the brief duration they are occuring. If you face these issues, give it maybe a minute or two and try logging in again; you shouldn't find yourself "locked out" so to speak for very long.

I think the problem is coming back... same symptoms and stuff within the past hour...

Edit: Yep. Problem's back.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    im haveing same issue.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    same issues
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's been happenning to me since the last patch. I time out while zoning then my list of characters won't load.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Phoxe wrote:
    Hey everyone!

I just checked in with our EXPERTS in this, and wanted to drop in and give you all a brief explaination to the best of my knowledge on the subject:

We're having a few hiccups on the servers - they're perfectly stable in a traditional sense in that we don't seem to be at any risk of crashing, or anything like that.

These "hiccups" are very short in duration, and should only have the effect of preventing you from logging in for the brief duration they are occuring. If you face these issues, give it maybe a minute or two and try logging in again; you shouldn't find yourself "locked out" so to speak for very long.

I think I'm just here to "hiccup".

when i was able to log in, i was unable to leave the Gama fleet staging area (perpetual loading screen followed by ctrl+alt+del when tryint to leave to either gama or earth sectors). I also could not get purchases/sales on the exchange to update while i was @ fleet staging.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here. *sigh*

Guess they do want try the queues again to see if they're working for the Lifers.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yup, goty few disconnects earlier, now Retrieving List Of Characters for past 10 mins :(
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And I as well. Wish to h@^^ they would fix the server "hiccups".
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is absurd. If the servers can't take the punishment, it might be time to open another one.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here. Think I'll use this time to go watch me some KHAAAAAN!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    same thing for me
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I finally got in only to lock up during a map change:mad:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here This is the most annoying thing it makes me just wanna freakin not play for a few days!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same problem, plus new scenes aren't loading either. seems to be a related problem. sigh
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    .......................same
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    all evening from about 5pm on ive had a random amount of "server not responding" on loading screens, which it sits on untill I task manager end the program
    -you guys should really get it to close itself or at least kick to loading screen when that happens

upon restarting I get to sit @ character retrieval as well as many others in this thread, first impressions of gameplay have been good untill this... 45min + "hangs" that prevent playing during peak times is something you should have a squadron of techies working to fix with the quickness of ten ninjas. yes TEN of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    they need to have fixed this.....like before when it happened at 1 pm or so
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here, still stuck at character retrieval.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    dantivirus wrote: »
    Same here. *sigh*

Guess they do want try the queues again to see if they're working for the Lifers.

as a lifer, let me tell you, the "front of que" does nothing to help me get to my character list :/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shayna wrote:
    I finally got in only to lock up during a map change:mad:

Same deal, i couldn't get my chars for a long time... then when i switched maps the game locked up. This patch is starting to seem like its causing more problems than it fixed:mad:...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Stuck with that message as well
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    just got it too, trying to get into an exploratino mission for my daily.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    stuck as well. As for the lifers... are you sure they said to the front of the cue and not "to the front of the Q?" just checking =D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah after a week of saving for a very rare shield and then finding out it was identical to the rare shield I have I buy the antiproton weapons with my Marks of Exploration. The go back 7 hours later and come to find out that they changed the shielding specs again back to what i was saving for in the first place .....I told them about it and told them I would gladly give back the weapons for the Marks of Exploration and they basically told me NO....

Now this whole crashing and me actually paying....for what ...NO help....NO connection.....And I pay for respec....pay for playtime....pay for whatever and this TRIBBLE....

Makes me just wanna cut my losses lol
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Phoxe wrote:
    Hey everyone!

It's 24 hours later. If I had hiccups for 24 hours I would probably kill myself.

There are so many reasons to be unhappy with this game. Why does this stuff go on for so long?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This reminds me of OB...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm getting the very same problem. If I reboot the computer, it will work again till I finish 1 mission, then freezes up and crashes. After that just the "getting character" screen with no characters. If I reboot, it all works again until I actually play the game. lol Nice patch hey????? rofl
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm having the exact same issues and it is very frustrating...please fix this asap.