Install Arc
Options

Patch cancelled, account cancelled

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    No it wont.

That press release stated forum accounts, that in no way shape or form implies anything at all as far as subscribers or retail units sold.

In case you hadn't realised you need to create a forum account to subscribe. It can also be generally taken those that have made the effort to create an account are actually interested in the game. So they are relevent, however we simply don't know how much so.

It is also a given the number of accounts increased with the EU launch, alongside general growth from other regions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no idea what you are rambling about

You do know people can look at your post history, right?

Let me spell it out for you.

You are a troll, and I propose that you are not very good at it, hence the " bringing your "A" game" comment.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dryan wrote:
    In case you hadn't realised you need to create a forum account to subscribe. It can also be generally taken those that have made the effort to create an account are actually interested in the game. So they are relevent, we just simply don't know how much so.

It is also a given the number of accounts increased with EU launch.

You could also create a forum account without having dropped any cash at all for over a year. There are too many factors to make any kind of reasonable determination of fiscal success of the product based on forum accounts.

You can assume all you want, but it just that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You do know people can look at your post history, right?

Let me spell it out for you.

You are a troll, and I propose that you are not very good at it, hence the " bringing your "A" game" comment.

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

And yes quite honestly I didn't read the above post at all nor did I read the topic because your life holds so little value that its not worth my time to read

:confused::confused::confused:

osnap
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If they sold a million units, you wouldn't have to look for that news...you would be hard pressed to avoid it, especially on this site.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dryan wrote:
    In case you hadn't realised you need to create a forum account to subscribe. It can also be generally taken those that have made the effort to create an account are actually interested in the game. So they are relevent, however we simply don't know how much so.

It is also a given the number of accounts increased with the EU launch, alongside general growth from other regions.

You have to make a forum account to subscribe, but you dont have to subscribe or purchase the game to have a forum account. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You could also create a forum account without having dropped any cash at all for over a year. There are too many factors to make any kind of reasonable determination of fiscal success of the product based on forum accounts.

You can assume all you want, but it just that.

I'm not assuming anything. We have no idea what the actual figures are. My post simply stated the number of accounts would have increased since the press release, mainly due to EU launch. They would have.

The only thing one can take from the press release is that given one has to have a forum account to play, box sales at that time were less than 1 million by an unknown margin.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm having a discussion about Star Trek online because I'm disappointed to have wasted my cash on it. Is that not allowed?

Am I out of work? Yes. I have been ever since I retired at the age of 40.

seeing as you are 'curious'

I'm just 'curious' as to how this debt-ridden company is going to fare over the next year or two and I'm having a conversation with others who are also interested. Is that OK with you?

As for this post it was simply a reaction to yet another poster pulling numbers out of his TRIBBLE and portraying them as fact.

Sure, makes perfect sense I guess. You decided to meticulously research the company's fiscal reports to prove someone on the Internet wrong. High fun.

You're also pretty far off the mark with a bunch of your numbers. Their fiscal numbers were from pre-release, so you're pulling conclusions out of your TRIBBLE here. Prove me wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

And yes quite honestly I didn't read the above post at all nor did I read the topic because your life holds so little value that its not worth my time to read

:confused::confused::confused:

osnap

I'm just going to go ahead and declare you the winner of that argument, as you have a boxxy avatar. That's sort of a trump card for most things.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Trollzorz :P

- And to all you that leave can I have your stuff
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kudach wrote: »
    Trollzorz :P

- And to all you that leave can I have your stuff

i asked first :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dryan wrote:
    I'm not assuming anything. We have no idea what the actual figures are. My post simply stated the number of accounts would have increased since the press release, mainly due to EU launch. They would have.

The only thing you can take from the press release is that given you have to have a forum account to play, box sales at that time were less than 1 million by an unknown margin.

Not sure what magic number of box sales would rate a press release. I would think at least 500k given that AoC and WAR both topped that. Did STO break 500k box sales yet? Maybe we'll find out someday.

Looking at the German forums, their member numbers seem to mesh with ours and it's not a separate website, so it doesn't appear their numbers are tallied separately. I still haven't seen a forum member number higher than low-mid 600k, so I'm thinking the people who say a million accounts created includes other Cryptic games are probably correct.

Forum account numbers are meaningless. TOR forums have more members and that game isn't releasing for more than another year.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Not sure what magic number of box sales would rate a press release. I would think at least 500k given that AoC and WAR both topped that. Did STO break 500k box sales yet? Maybe we'll find out someday.

Looking at the German forums, their member numbers seem to mesh with ours and it's not a separate website, so it doesn't appear their numbers are tallied separately. I still haven't seen a forum member number higher than low-mid 600k, so I'm thinking the people who say a million accounts created includes other Cryptic games are probably correct.

Forum account numbers are meaningless. TOR forums have more members and that game isn't releasing for more than another year.

STO has had more than 1 million sales between physical and digital distribution methods.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    STO has had more than 1 million sales between physical and digital distribution methods.

Did you just make that up or can you provide a link to that information.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tried to get into the game. Had fun for awhile but found it repetative and got boring real quick. Sad to have to say that cause I was following up on the game ever since it was mentioned. Account cancelled. Take care.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Um...link? Something?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    Sure, makes perfect sense I guess. You decided to meticulously research the company's fiscal reports to prove someone on the Internet wrong. High fun.

You're also pretty far off the mark with a bunch of your numbers. Their fiscal numbers were from pre-release, so you're pulling conclusions out of your TRIBBLE here. Prove me wrong.

prove you wrong that my 'conclusions' are out of my TRIBBLE? Ok the figures quoted are from the published data. Nothing more, nothing less.
    How can 'my numbers' be off the mark? They are Atari's numbers. I have clearly stated to what portion of the year these numbers belong to and what is or is not included. I even made it clear that the STO revenues will be included in the second half of this year where Atari have already stated that their whole group income will not make up the net operation loss already incurred this year.
    Don't be trying to pick an argument with me because you can't understand it. have a civil debate and tell me what you find is incorrect, tell me why you think so and I'll discuss why you are wrong but don't pick an argument because you want one kid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Incorrect.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    prove you wrong that my 'conclusions' are out of my TRIBBLE? Ok the figures quoted are from the published data. Nothing more, nothing less.
    How can 'my numbers' be off the mark? They are Atari's numbers. I have clearly stated to what portion of the year these numbers belong to and what is or is not included. I even made it clear that the STO revenues will be included in the second half of this year where Atari have already stated that their whole group income will not make up the net operation loss already incurred this year.
    Don't be trying to pick an argument with me because you can't understand it. have a civil debate and tell me what you find is incorrect, tell me why you think so and I'll discuss why you are wrong but don't pick an argument because you want one kid.

No, I understand it perfectly. You've taken some numbers from a website, run some of your 40-year-old retirement bidness sense on it, crunched the numbers, and came to faulty conclusions. Conclusions. Those are what were off the mark. Conclusions. Read closer.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    moordrake wrote: »
    Damn, beat me to it!

Darnit, me too :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    No, I understand it perfectly. You've taken some numbers from a website, run some of your 40-year-old retirement bidness sense on it, crunched the numbers, and came to faulty conclusions. Conclusions. Those are what were off the mark. Conclusions. Read closer.

Yeah you se that's not how it works. I laid out my case. I've not actually concluded anything. I've just repeated Atari's own words and interpreted it so that people like you might understand. Sure you don't have to agree but unless you are able to provide a rebuttal and evidence to back it up them you don't belong in the debate other than to say "I don't agree".

The onus is on you. But again if you are just wishing for an argument I'd rather not read your baiting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hunaxor wrote: »
    They are not able to do what they promise. One week, ok. But next week and still nothing?........
    I will not pay for words.

you must be new to mmos. i suggest avoiding mmos like the plague if a one week delay on content is a big deal to you. most veteran developers will no longer even give ballpark release dates anymore on patches because of whining like this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah you se that's not how it works. I laid out my case. I've not actually concluded anything. I've just repeated Atari's own words and interpreted it so that people like you might understand. Sure you don't have to agree but unless you are able to provide a rebuttal and evidence to back it up them you don't belong in the debate other than to say "I don't agree".

The onus is on you. But again if you are just wishing for an argument I'd rather not read your baiting.

Meh. Nobody's forcing you to read my baiting here. It's a choice you're making while you're not demonstrating why your conclusions weren't entirely fictitious. Given that you're confusing fiscal years with calendar years, I'm starting to suspect that retired is being used as a euphemism for unemployed.

Harsh words, maybe. You could totally challenge me to a pvp fight, except you quit the game at 9pm on launch day. Which was... 23 days ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Khell wrote: »
    Nah, we're just pretending we're sinking, actually - we're doing this on purpose, so people like you go for the lifeboats and get the heck out of here. Believe me, as soon as you're gone, the ship will right itself and sail on without you.

Really, there's just so many MMO-players out there who've got all the patience and attention span of an ant. Whoops. Sorry. I apologise for this. It's very, very unfair towards the ant ...

Thanks... just choked on my lunch. *snort*
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yep, just that easy. I can live with some problems, no endgame or anything. But right now we should be playing some new endgame for one week. And surprise, we wont be playing it this week too!!
    My hope/trust is over. Only reason for me to subscribe next month is that 45 day patch (clear money grab). But how I can sub now? They are not able to do what they promise. One week, ok. But next week and still nothing?........

The 45 day patch is free so I'm not sure how you can call that a money grab.

I bet you are the type of person that watches 15 minutes of a show before losing your attention span. The ME NOW generation is in for a rough future as the economy crumbles world wide. ME NOW is going to be unfulfilled in all areas of life, not just games.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
    Guys,

This is what happens in game development, it's the reason why we use "Soon" a bunch. I spent a little extra time making it extra cool, so its running a little late... When the video was made, that was the target date.

I'm giving you a update now so you know whats going on. If the thread turns into hate and bile, it will definately be the last time I give you a update on stuff I'm working on

If this is the attitude this guy has I think Ill bring my money elsewhere. ....

Nice PR you joker.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    Meh. Nobody's forcing you to read my baiting here. It's a choice you're making while you're not demonstrating why your conclusions weren't entirely fictitious. Given that you're confusing fiscal years with calendar years, I'm starting to suspect that retired is being used as a euphemism for unemployed.

Harsh words, maybe. You could totally challenge me to a pvp fight, except you quit the game at 9pm on launch day. Which was... 23 days ago.

Ok, last time. I've not confused anything. I mentioned the dates of the half year reports up to March 31st and made it clear that the second half reports are after that and will include most of STO's revenue. I also repeated Atari's statement that in this second part of the year they expect to make a loss. Again, not my fault if you can't understand it.
    Don't presume to think what I may or may not be confused by is a means to bait me into an argument because you don't have the cerebral fortitude for it.

Why would I want to challenge you to a game fight. What would that prove? I'd much rather, were it feasible, challenge you to an actual fight, like men have, in the real world. But that would be fruitless.

Who said i quit playing? I quit paying. Is that a confusing notion for you?

Anyway, enough. You are clearly baiting and as I'm not one to whine to mods about the behaviour of others I'll just add you to the ignore list and let you continue to tilt at windmills. (that's something that will likely be over your head)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    code2know wrote: »

Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
    Guys,

This is what happens in game development, it's the reason why we use "Soon" a bunch. I spent a little extra time making it extra cool, so its running a little late... When the video was made, that was the target date.

I'm giving you a update now so you know whats going on. If the thread turns into hate and bile, it will definately be the last time I give you a update on stuff I'm working on

If this is the attitude this guy has I think Ill bring my money elsewhere. ....

Nice PR you joker.

You don't even have an active sub to cancel. Who do you think you are fooling?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why would the patch not be ready, the trailer had a release date. It didn't say 'Coming Soon', it said February 25th.

The fact people are accepting of this behavior in the gaming industry is really sad.

From what I heard over 7 million people bought Star Trek Online. Let's assume every one of those 7 million customers paid only $50. That's $350,000,000 gross.

So a company that released a new game that made $300,000,000+ in its first few weeks can't follow through on promises of release dates? Mind you, Cryptic still has to earn the $15 from everyone all over again.

It's not looking good.
    Except your logic is faulty. 50$ is retail, they sell wholesale, anywhere from 1$-roughly 30$. So, to be a guess, cut it in half, 25$ per box, 7,000,000x25= 175,000,000, and I HIGHLY doubt they sold 7mil+ copies, or they would be parading that fact up and down the street like a kid who just got a ferrari for his 16th birthday would cruise into school slow as hell so everyone could see.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yep, just that easy. I can live with some problems, no endgame or anything. But right now we should be playing some new endgame for one week. And surprise, we wont be playing it this week too!!
    My hope/trust is over. Only reason for me to subscribe next month is that 45 day patch (clear money grab). But how I can sub now? They are not able to do what they promise. One week, ok. But next week and still nothing?........

Blizzard would do the exact same thing. They have said on numerous occasions they like to only release content when it is ready! I love the fact that Cryptic is also taking the time just like them to make sure it is as ready as possible for your enjoyment.

And of course Blizzard has more resources and better ability to release things faster, so the argument that it would be released faster is invalid. Cryptic is doing the best it can it seems, and they ARE listening to people.

I think the main problem here is the I want it now mindset, and often times that is not realistic.