test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (February 12, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    So you dropped the servers down 5 hours ahead of schedual why? Slowly losing interest in this game!:eek:

Because the servers were already down, that's why.
    Aw, poor you, losing interest in an MMO because they decide to patch to improve the game... really, are you serious?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kinda funny that in the software industry, only within gaming companies (especially of MMOs) is this kinda downtime and constant software failure considered by the/many customers not only as expected, but almost treated as "working as intended" and normal.

Good thing banks, and even government contracted software are held to higher standards than this, else we'd all be screwed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Morgomir wrote: »
    still no fix for Klingon transporter effects? Why hasnt that been fixed yet? It cant be that hard.

Because it is just a visual effect and not important in the big scheme of things.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Phoxe wrote:
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Saturday, 13, February from 3am PST to 5am PST (11am to 1pm GMT), in order to perform maintenance, and apply a new patch. We will update this thread once this maintenance has been completed.

UPDATE: At 10:07 STO has unexpectedly gone down. We are working to rectify this as soon as possible.

UPDATE 2: We have decided to push the patch during this unexpected downtime. Maintenance is scheduled to be over at 12am PST (8am GMT)

Well hot damn. I approve of thins decision!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thankyou for the info Cryptic
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey funny story,

So you know all the people who say we should do rotating maintenance?

Well considering the server is down right now we have decided to do the maintenance while we fix the server.
    So the scheduled up time is 12am PST (8am GMT).

Not cool, by a long shot. Stick to your scheduled maintenance window within a 24 hour time period. Seriously, if I pulled this TRIBBLE on my users, I'd be looking for a new job.

I can't believe you all get away with this TRIBBLE.

You want to change the maintenance window? Fine by me, but give the users 24 hour notice of the change, don't do it when ever the hell you feel like it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i don't get why people here are saying that cryptic does scheduled maintenance on weekends. they do it when it needs to be done. if i remember right they did so 2 days ago, which i'm pretty sure is NOT a weekend.

that said its great that you're gonna do maintenance now instead of fixing the crash then bringing it back down hours later. more power to the forward servers.

edit : so... wakko, by your "cool" logic, you would rather they fix this crash now, then bring the servers back down a few hours afterwards, all for the sake of maintaining a scheduled maintenance? that's rather senseless.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kristov wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Kelvrin
    Incase you didn't know, Europe is a fairly big continent that has more then just Australia sharing its timezone.

I think it's option C..meant it because he actually believed it's true...scary huh?

I knew Austria was in Europe, but I thought Australia was a few miles/kilometers away :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    After your reach Admiral? The game crashes.

no / Gasp..

You see the message "WELL DONE" Your Score is - 999999999 Please enter your name ...

Please insert coin.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Another American opinion, "As long as its not affecting me then its great" Neh?

We know for a fact there are more EU players than there are American so keep ****ing us off and
    you will feel the wrath of (no not kahn) but the EU players as they drop off due to:

a. lack of interest in game since
    1. Klingon are not fully done,
    2. The game itself lacks anything worth doing after the first week of hard core playing

b. lack of gametime due to:
    1. crashing in the first weeks(its become better but still crashing)
    2. maintanence is scheduelled around high peak game time on weekend in EU

c. Overall disgust over being treated as a secondary playerclass to amereicans whom have been treated first calss even though they in reality are a minority.

......................................RA TARD...........................................................

Learn to Spell

And if i remember from last time i looked,

EU is a big pile of countries that could not maintain their own financial independence, and had to broker in a half dozen other countries.
    Yet the country with 1 10th the population of EU still carries the biggest stick.

Bite it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You have no idea how possible that is. I work tech support for hotels and I have 10-15 calls a day where someone unplugged a server/switch/AP/midspan/etc to plug in a vacuum or they plug the !#$@% thing into the UPS in the server room!

i know exactly what you mean. i work in it for a call center that does customer service for an insurance company. and occasionally and i know that TRIBBLE happens! we had cleaning personnel unplug one of our server racks to plug in a floor buffer. one of our guy goes in their find out what the hell is up and trips over the cord while carrying a cup coffee and it went right on to another rack the was plugged in. needless to say it knocked out the entire center plus made for one hell of a long night
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Australia has 3 timezones that start in antarctic and go all the way up to the arctic. This includes parts of Indonesia, a bit of china, Philippines, half of Mongolia all of Japan and Korea and a good chuck of Russia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Timezones2008.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Phoxe wrote:
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Saturday, 13, February from 3am PST to 5am PST (11am to 1pm GMT), in order to perform maintenance, and apply a new patch. We will update this thread once this maintenance has been completed.

UPDATE: At 10:07 STO has unexpectedly gone down. We are working to rectify this as soon as possible.

UPDATE 2: We have decided to push the patch during this unexpected downtime. Maintenance is scheduled to be over at 12am PST (8am GMT)

Yep ti's official. since the server crashed, they decided to keep it down and do the maint and patch EARLY. So it will not be back up until 12AM PT / 8AM GMT

it's now 10:30PM PT. So the servers should be back up in 90 minutes :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rimor wrote: »
    Maybe if you used a hamster on steroids that game would last longer.

If fact better yet, why not a Space Hamster!! I think Bioware has a Space Hamster, named "BOO!", maybe you could lease him, or buy him, or somethin. But remember, he is the only Space Hamster out there, so ya gotta treat him right.

I am just thinking of all the dead hamsters that had died in our wake. Magnificient!! ... or would that be .. fascinating?

Oh! Cool! An actual use for tribbles!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilBunBun wrote:
    Dude, its the first two weeks. I work in the industry, when you throw real, HUGE load against clusters of servers, it often has issues. Actually, I've been somewhat impressed at how it's/they're handing it so far.

I used to work for eBay/paypal and you'd be suprised at the stuff that actually breaks under enormous loads.

I think this game was also under time constraints due to financial backing reasons and yet they still managed to put it out mostly functional. I think the game has hugely great potential if fans relax and just enjoy it when they can and quit getting stressed over some of the bumps that are occurring.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinJarate wrote:
    i don't get why people here are saying that cryptic does scheduled maintenance on weekends. they do it when it needs to be done. if i remember right they did so 2 days ago, which i'm pretty sure is NOT a weekend.

that said its great that you're gonna do maintenance now instead of fixing the crash then bringing it back down hours later. more power to the forward servers.

I don't get why people are saying that they do "scheduled" maintenance at all.

XD
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Naverino wrote: »
    Kinda funny that in the software industry, only within gaming companies (especially of MMOs) is this kinda downtime and constant software failure considered by the/many customers not only as expected, but almost treated as "working as intended" and normal.

Good thing banks, and even government contracted software are held to higher standards than this, else we'd all be screwed.

...your joking right??? government contracts??? lol....the standard is umm...wait, there isn't a standard, it's just lowest bid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Would have been nice to forewarn us cryptic - anyhow, is it going to be 2 hours from the downtime or will it be till 5am pst???
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kraevac wrote: »
    Epic Fail :mad:

10 Char

Boo hooo

Whaa waa waa
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wakko wrote: »
    Not cool, by a long shot. Stick to your scheduled maintenance window within a 24 hour time period. Seriously, if I pulled this TRIBBLE on my users, I'd be looking for a new job.

You want to change the maintenance window? Fine by me, but give the users 24 hour notice of the change, don't do it when ever the hell you feel like it.

Like a heroine addict during withdrawl. They will be adding more to the game silly guy, and the down time is two hours. Lord al mighty, no paitence.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey funny story,

So you know all the people who say we should do rotating maintenance?

Well considering the server is down right now we have decided to do the maintenance while we fix the server.

This is great news, Aussies will now have a chance to play peak time on a Sat night, barring more unforseen downtime.

Thx for the update.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Naverino wrote: »

BAHAAHAHAH I used to work with banks.... the individual banks actually have WORSE scheduled maintenance than this, they use something called 'standins/proxies' that allow transactions for that period, and suck up the banking errors as operating expenses during those windows.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ilarcek wrote:
    TRIBBLE the europeans. You guys want to dictate when server maintenance occurs? Then start a european game company, backed by european money, with a european development team, a european server and cater to a european audience.

As long as you're playing an American game, paid for by American dollars, on an American server you can STFU.

All you europeans know how to do is whine and ***** and complain about everything. Make your own freakin games then if you don't like it.

Epic Fail.
    Exactly this ignorant postings make pplz think what they think about u US guys sometimes.
    I guess u are one of these ppl, when asked where Rom is, u will say it's in England.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    :D
    ilarcek wrote:
    TRIBBLE the europeans. You guys want to dictate when server maintenance occurs? Then start a european game company, backed by european money, with a european development team, a european server and cater to a european audience.

As long as you're playing an American game, paid for by American dollars, on an American server you can STFU.

All you europeans know how to do is whine and ***** and complain about everything. Make your own freakin games then if you don't like it.

That was friggin awesome! The Europeans only contribution to the last 100 years is 2 world wars where they firmly got thier a**es kicked. They need to stick to being the losers they are. (oops too far?)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You do not have to start your mission all over again, just the final fight or last save point. Do you even play STO? What rank are you soldier?

If you log out for long enough, I believe you do have to start the mission again.

I was in the middle of a fight but other then that, I don't see a problem with the maintenance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hm, had free time after putting my son to bed at 10pm PST. Now it's down till midnight? Hasta luego. What the hell, I play Klingon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wakko wrote: »

Did you miss the part where they said since the server CRASHED, they decided to go ahead and take advantage of the unexpected downtime to do the maint/patch application NOW since the situation is perfect for it?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yet again you have made a very great way of calling a random crash into a early maintenance... bravo... bravo......

Now I know why everyone is making fun of the "Star Trek Offline" lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KazDP wrote:
    I think this game was also under time constraints due to financial backing reasons and yet they still managed to put it out mostly functional. I think the game has hugely great potential if fans relax and just enjoy it when they can and quit getting stressed over some of the bumps that are occurring.

Totally agree, I will have issues if its a month from now and this is being seen.

BTW cryptic, you can hire me before Apple does if you're quick :) I can definately help with these large scaling issues as well as a 'flip' patch set where the servers only need to be down for a couple minutes max for patches/updates.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sternus wrote:
    :D

That was friggin awesome! The Europeans only contribution to the last 100 years is 2 world wars where they firmly got thier a**es kicked. They need to stick to being the losers they are. (oops too far?)

OPMg how ignorant. I'm ashamed to be an America with other america who think like this. OMg go back to school and get a decent education and do some world travel while u are at it. You are an embarassment to the USA
This discussion has been closed.