test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (February 12, 2010)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    korkoff wrote: »
    Please let me understand the EU *****en, cause i do not get it. Even Eve a EU game goes down daily from 11 to noon GMT. Yet u ***** that crypit picks about the same time. Fact one and only fact that matters Eve like STO in 65% North America player base period. You do not like that fine then move ur TRIBBLE to new zealand.

Easy there buddy. It is just a game. Hold your ears and repeat with me...Whoooosssaaaaaa...there ya go :D
    edited February 2010
    Tremelai wrote: »
    I was in the United States Army once upon a time too. Your online demeanor is a discredit to the Army, the United States, and to yourself when you hurl insults anonymously.

You tossing around insults while dropping PhD and Army for a vein attempt for some soft of credibility is a sure sign of total lack of self respect.

Here is some more for ya REMF. NOONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK PANTY SNEEZE! >ahem< k?
    edited February 2010
    Sternus wrote:
    Did a little world travel there joker. With the Army. Got me an Edumackateeon too with the army....PhD as a matter of fact. At least i didnt hide behind my mommy when it came time to do the job. So in closing....you are a Pu**y. luv ya.

Oh wow.. a thug in the armed forces.. you must be proud.. going over seas and battling in pointless wars cuz politicans line their pockets with oil income and have the america public terrorized over "terrorists" and if you have an education like that.. then I feel even more sorry for your line of thinking. I hold a Phd , BA, BS, and an AS. LOL

Wow and calling someone a p***y.... how ORIGINAL.. burn some brain cells comming up with that one? I would have hoped you could have come up with at least something more ORIGINAL

It's people like you who think we are THE best country, our way is the RIGHT way will be the undoing of this country. Until bigots and ignorant people like you learn to accept the rest of the world. There isn't going to be a lot of peace in our time.
    edited February 2010
    Easy there buddy. It is just a game. Hold your ears and repeat with me...Whoooosssaaaaaa...there ya go :D

SERENITY NOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!

Hoochiemama
    edited February 2010
    saturday 4pm - 6pm in Australia

I dont mind they have decided to do the maintenance, just means i will be able to play in 4 hours which will be 8 pm :)

however it did make me smack my head as i was half way in a mission

DOH!
    edited February 2010
    hobieone wrote:
    your a big fan of the dilbert comic strip right ? :D

No, just of humans.
    edited February 2010
    Apparently Australians and EU's didn't pay anything to help develope the game so we don't get to say when the Maintenace happens.

So i guess the $279 life time membership and $99 i paid for the game didn't help pay for the cost of building the game and maintenance and support for the game!

i should of just mouched from the US economy like all the Americans do :)

See and I give my fellow americans a hard time for bashing EU/AU people. You aren't any better.
    edited February 2010
    KazDP wrote:
    haha... funny. Not sure how big the server side software is or how many servers they have powering the game. But you'd be surprised at how long it could take. I used to be a software engineer and watched guys take software that was ready for implementation and start updating over 100 blade servers that were linked together for powering there system. Took awhile for them to get it all going. Then something would happen where one of the blade servers didn't sync up with the others and they'd have to work on getting it synchronized. I'm sure though Cryptic will eventually cut down small patch times and maintenance into one hour. I've seen big server farms of 500 servers crash and be back up and running in 15 minutes when no new software is being installed and no issues are involved in the farm booting back up.

I'm a bit faster :) dealt with about 20,000 servers before. There are tricks that apply to even smaller groups of servers. I know a bunch of em.

Cryptic will have to be 'fast' though if they want me.... I'm being pretty heavily pursued by about 10 companies, I made the mistake of posting on linked in about two weeks ago "contract winding up looking for full time or contract work" I had 10 contacts (email/phone) within 12 hrs.
    edited February 2010
    Hash420 wrote:
    Yet again you have made a very great way of calling a random crash into a early maintenance... bravo... bravo......

Now I know why everyone is making fun of the "Star Trek Offline" lol

All MMOs have maintenance... the good thing is that Cryptic turned a crash into maintenance rather then having double downtime... Blizzard... Sony... Funcom... No one else does that as far as I can tell.
    edited February 2010
    No patch in the history of cryptic will fix these crashes unless they get the servers more wide spread across the planet.

Having all your eggs in one basket has egg all over your face every time the server blows up. You are flooding the already over flow of bandwidth in California as is.

You need Servers in the UK or at least or maybe New York? Have a balance and still have them all communicate? I mean you have random servers now for multiple small space areas, why not add some more and have the players who ping better to those servers join only the best one?

That or SCRAP this false idea of having multiple mini servers and actually make space feel like the final frontier instead of this "Space... The free floating Office Cubical"
    edited February 2010
    So, they're not supposed to do maintenance till 3AM PST right? Then why the F are they doing it now?! At like, 10:30PM PST! Makes me wanna stab little teddy bears lots and lots! >:O

Wow did u even READ the original post? It CRASHED

Since a crash takes 1-2 hrs to fix. they decided to take that 2 hr block and do the maint NOW vs later.

If they hadn't done this.. the servers would have gone down for 1-2 hrs... been up for an hr tops then back down for 2 hrs for maint... how silly would that be?

You all need to grow some brains.
    edited February 2010
    Relax people it will be back and better than before (most likely).
    edited February 2010
    Space Doc wrote:
    Did you notice the message now says, "We will be bringing down Star Trek Online... from 10am PST to 12am PST..." That's 14 hours! LOL. I hope that's just a terrible typo.

It is... it's meant to say 10pm to 12am ;)
    edited February 2010
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Its hard to sleep with such a loud forum.
    edited February 2010
    i dont see what everyones *****ing about in the first week was hard to get a few solid hrs together in playtime due to downtime i can watch a movie on a sat arvo and come back and play later so chill ppl the ingame stabilty is getting better and downtimes are getting fewer in a few weeks these outagges will be a thing of the past
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Oh wow.. a thug in the armed forces.. you must be proud.. going over seas and battling in pointless wars cuz politicans line their pockets with oil income and have the america public terrorized over "terrorists" and if you have an education like that.. then I feel even more sorry for your line of thinking. I hold a Phd , BA, BS, and an AS. LOL

Wow and calling someone a p***y.... how ORIGINAL.. burn some brain cells comming up with that one? I would have hoped you could have come up with at least something more ORIGINAL

It's people like you who think we are THE best country, our way is the RIGHT way will be the undoing of this country. Until bigots and ignorant people like you learn to accept the rest of the world. There isn't going to be a lot of peace in our time.

No WE arent the best country...it is losers like you who TRIBBLE us, not guys like me who provide you the forum in which to do it. (any forum) FYI there will never be "peace" there is no money in it. Why be original BTW when the tried and true works.
    edited February 2010
    Jaagd wrote:
    Early maintenance? If it's true it was going to take an hour or two to get the servers online and they could multi-task the maintenance then I suppose it's 'logical,' but it just sounds damn unprofessional to me.

LOL. You used "coder" and "professional" in the same sentence. While coders have to incorporate some sort of "professionalism" in there somewhere in order to actually make a profit for or from the suits that run the company or for the company in most cases most game coders are going to be what we call a "kid in an adult's body."

You obviously haven't seen some of the work environments of game coders or what they like to do in their free time besides code. These guys are more likely than anything gamers themselves. Hell I bet they have either a wii, 360, PS3 or all 3 in their office for de-stressing purposes. Heck Blizzard has ping pong tables, pool tables, and air hockey for taking time out to think about the logic for a solution.

Hell, the place I work at is getting a 360 in order for us to get our minds off the current issue at hand and then come back to it.

I give them props for getting this all done in 1 day let alone several hours.
    edited February 2010
    STAR TREK ONLINE IS DOWN SO LETS GO ARGUE ABOUT IT ON THE STAR TREK ONLINE FORUMS

hurr hurrr hurrr hurrr

OK I have a joke. Why do they call it Whistler?

Because that's the sound you make flying through the air at 90 MPH.
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:

Any chance we can keep things civil? A lot of people serving in the Forces, we don't make choices in policy, we just follow orders.
    edited February 2010
    Tremelai wrote: »
    I was in the United States Army once upon a time too. Your online demeanor is a discredit to the Army, the United States, and to yourself when you hurl insults anonymously.

You tossing around insults while dropping PhD and Army in a vein attempt for some soft of credibility is a sure sign of total lack of self respect.

Yep I agree. I can't stand it when people use being in one of our armed forces to show so much ignorance and bigotry.. it's a disgrace to the usa, the army, navy, airforce, and marines.

He either had some BAD parenting or some REALLY bad influences in his life
    edited February 2010
    Sternus wrote:
    Here is some more for ya REMF. NOONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK PANTY SNEEZE! >ahem< k?

REMF, that's one from the archives. The current term is FOBbit.

With every one of your low brow posts, you seem to have an unlimited capacity for digging you self deeper into your self inflicted 'hole of Zero Credibility' .
    edited February 2010
    Phoxe wrote:
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Saturday, 13, February from 3am PST to 5am PST (11am to 1pm GMT), in order to perform maintenance, and apply a new patch. We will update this thread once this maintenance has been completed.

UPDATE: At 10:07 STO has unexpectedly gone down. We are working to rectify this as soon as possible.

UPDATE 2: We have decided to push the patch during this unexpected downtime. Maintenance is scheduled to be over at 12am PST (8am GMT)

"There was a UI bug with Science Bridge Officer power "dampening field I" in the skill window.
    blah blah.

What about Engineering Bridge Officer powers that are stacking in Space skills. And No ground Skills in that Commander rank spot.

same problem exist with Engineering Boffs too.
    edited February 2010
    Space Doc wrote:
    Did you notice the message now says, "We will be bringing down Star Trek Online... from 10am PST to 12am PST..." That's 14 hours! LOL. I hope that's just a terrible typo.

*ahem*

<.<
    >.>

fixt
    edited February 2010
    Apparently Australians and EU's didn't pay anything to help develope the game so we don't get to say when the Maintenace happens.
    )

Sounds good to me. :)
    edited February 2010
    whitman911 wrote: »
    Any chance we can keep things civil? A lot of people serving in the Forces, we don't make choices in policy, we just follow orders.

Dont waste your breath they thrive on chewing on us.
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Wow did u even READ the original post? It CRASHED

Since a crash takes 1-2 hrs to fix. they decided to take that 2 hr block and do the maint NOW vs later.

If they hadn't done this.. the servers would have gone down for 1-2 hrs... been up for an hr tops then back down for 2 hrs for maint... how silly would that be?

You all need to grow some brains.

The thing is, if people read the original post before it gets updated, many might not realize it HAS been updated.
    edited February 2010
    Hash420 wrote:
    No patch in the history of cryptic will fix these crashes unless they get the servers more wide spread across the planet.

Having all your eggs in one basket has egg all over your face every time the server blows up. You are flooding the already over flow of bandwidth in California as is.

You need Servers in the UK or at least or maybe New York? Have a balance and still have them all communicate? I mean you have random servers now for multiple small space areas, why not add some more and have the players who ping better to those servers join only the best one?

That or SCRAP this false idea of having multiple mini servers and actually make space feel like the final frontier instead of this "Space... The free floating Office Cubical"

Doing geographic dispersal is more difficult than you'd imagine, keeping the databases up to date is critical and they have to do so in a timely fashion. Its a whole new 'problem set' that they will have to solve, there are a few approaches, but most of them have nasty 'gotchas' that have to be fixed/addressed in the code base or HUGE infrastructure costs associated with them. Latency between here and say australia can SUCK, and cause your database updates to stack up. Which means tons of problems with mission updates, messages in groups, etc. Unless you make players ONLY play on their geographic location that's closest (the diablo blizzard model).

It's something I'm sure they'll work on, however the changes and architecture tasks are ENORMOUS. Not something you'll see soon (unless they do the blizzard diablo thing).
    edited February 2010
    saturday 4pm - 6pm in Australia

I dont mind they have decided to do the maintenance, just means i will be able to play in 4 hours which will be 8 pm :)

however it did make me smack my head as i was half way in a mission

DOH!

Rofl, I was on the last ship in the last group of 5 groups for a patrol. Hopefully it doesn't get rolled back :D Especially as my fiance had just finished his briar patch run on his second character.
    edited February 2010
    Hash420 wrote:

Actually, there are server farms in the world such as the ones microsoft, apple, government, and many other major internet accessed firms use that handle 1000x more bandwidth as an MMO such as this will handle. Also there not spread all over the world, there giant server farms inside a super cooled facility. So yes, they can put all there eggs in one basket. Just give them time to work out the untested issue that couldn't be ironed out in beta. Be patient for the next month or so and I bet issues will look minor.
    edited February 2010
    NinJarate wrote:
    world war facts

/educated

edit : d'oh. darned censors. the asterisks are bull fecal matter.

well that was educating..
This discussion has been closed.