What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Hopefully the maintenance will solve the issue of not receiving quest rewards... one can hope :-)

Downtime was great, had a chance to grab some lunch and a shower and do my nails without feeling like I was missing out :-)

I know! I was SO happy about getting my Mk II Resilient Shields and then... they vanished! Nooos! I was in the middle of repeating the SB 24 quest in the hopes of getting another one when the server went down. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well this gives me time to shower, turn this costco chicken into chicken salad, make a sammich, and eat.

This may be my only opportunity this weekend to do those things so I'll take it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    someGit wrote: »
    We are into the "Pay-for-play" now

Mhm.. you sure about that? I was under the impression subscriptions don't pick up until the 2nd, and that Headstart was bonus time given to those who pre-ordered.

Not that it matters to me either way, being a lifer.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I played all day yesterday (almost), and all morning today. This is the first major crash since headstart, well, started. I'm impressed, to say the least. Keep up the good work dev's, I can't wait to get back in.

Now.....lunch. lol.

Snerk....

You won't be impressed when you realize that this is SOP.
    For the first few months of Champions Online we had crashes every weekend, heck, they stayed down about half the time on the weekend that my friend was using his free trial, needless to say he did not purchase the game.

So far, STO is having all the same issues that CO had during launch, you would think that someone at Cryptic might notice this and take steps to fix the problems before they happen, having the exact same problem bite you on the TRIBBLE twice must be extremely embarrassing to them.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Will the launcher update the server status or is it only checked on launch?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop... And a big congrats on this being the first major crash since release. I've yet to see any mmo's servers last this long after a launch. I had expected about 10 crashes since Friday. Keep up the good work

As a technicality it's not officially launch yet. So they are doing a very good job.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Verkon wrote:
    Dont buy more servers until you know how to use them and keep them online :)

The only stable MMORPG that currently exists is easily EVE-Online... It has its scheduled downtime every day, but in the last 5 years of my subscribing to it has it had a server issue with me online. With the open beta, I figured that they would get this stuff ironed out, figure out they needed to beef up their hardware, but I guess thats how you make money, try to save on the hardware part....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    shinkou wrote:
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. These downtimes are awful for us European players; I was looking forward to playing on into the late night before the scheduled maintenance smack in the middle of my day tomorrow, too.

But, to be fair, a company can't cater to the entire bloody world when there's only one 'server' for us all when it comes to maintenance times, and for that I'm sympathetic to Cryptic.

Think of it this way, North Americans: at least you've got the afternoon and evening to look forward to! :D

North Americans have every benefit. Cryptic seems to have forgotten the rest of the world exists but thats to be expected I suppose. 1 Server or cluster means massive latency issues for the world outside the US.

So far this is minor launch issues but after the 2nd don't expect to play at all for a while. The game will be going to the dogs pretty sharpish when the mong hordes coming screaming on through looking for Sulu.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    EricDahRed wrote: »
    If your table-top group is fun, then definitely go DM. The best video game in the world can't beat a good tabletop session. A crappy table-top session, however, (ie crabby players with no roleplaying sense) is like playing ET the Extraterestrial or Shaq Fu. Ugh.

shaqfu_121609.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Saeliss wrote:
    you might wanna wipe that **** off your nose. They are notoriously bad about keeping us informed.

Like I said.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wow i had to dig to get this news...the game crashes..ok... i wait for a note..ok....i get this line of leftover TRIBBLE

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Saturday, January 30th from 3:00AM to 5:00AM in order to perform maintenance, and apply a patch to further optimize server performance. We will update this thread once this maintenance has been completed. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team

so i had to come in here and wade through old maintance notes with no times on them just to happen across this one

bad form..and bad managment...you guys really dropped the ball on this one
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team

The Star Trek Online Team

I enjoyed playing the open beta, there were numerous bugs which is what testing is all about. I have spent hours running through the same scenarious during headstart and they are awful. I complete all but the end parts and then crewmember gets stuck in the ground, server says not respondsing during the middle of a load. and i have to drop the mission just to get the fame to function at all. I have had to use task manager to end the game and restart well over 50 times. only for it to lock up or take me back to tjhe beginning of the mission only for it to bug out (again) and then freeze up. I am a hard core fan, but even with prescription anxiety medication, the emotional stress of not being ablle to complete nearly any mission is very frustrating and making me wonder if i was a complete imbecile for paying for a years woth of game time. don't get me wrong, i find it incredible that your folks could bring about such a technological wonder which is the Star Trek Universe and up to now, it has been a fanatstic journey- evidenced by my lack of sleep and the adreneline rushes i enjoyed when the game funtioned with only a few kinks; which I know is understandable. I also know you are doing everthing you can to remedy the situation. I just hope that I don't have to wonder evertine i long on, if the instabilty is going to ruin the STO experience and sour the game to where i know longer want to suffer the aggrevation. Please restore my hope for this potentially exceptional star trek adventure. we are allcounting on you and i feel that you are up to the challenges
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Again, Head Start is Release Candidate.. Feb.2, 2010 is the Release or Officially online.

Let's hope it's smoother then.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AnjelusX wrote:
    Games go up, games go down, common for Free to Play and Pay to Play alike. Could be a funny server, someone tripped, put a cheese slice in the dvd-rom, hackers, or cosmic alignment. Some have invested a good amount of money already, other's haven't. Such is life, getting frustrated over it and banging you head against the forums really doesn't do anything except maybe give you some emotional satisfaction.

For "Lifers" some hiccups in the early week or two is really nothing in the longer term grand scheme of the universe, expecting things to work perfectly in a game, or in life is kinda silly you realize? Nothing works perfectly, even toilet paper can get jammed up on the roll every now and then.

Stand up, take a ****, go for some Gagh, brew some fresh coffee, hug a bunnie, it's only a little time out of the game, not the end of the universe, be more zen about it. They fiix it quick great, if it's an hour or two, oh well, life goes on. It'll be back up, we'll be warping about gleefully once more and all will be well with the universe once more.

Remember sometimes you just gotta Breathe.

QFT

My favourite post so far aside from the humorous tribble quips and famous quotes.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Havn't had much to eat today but snacks. So, not bad timing :P

Well, things happens at launch... which are unexpected and for ppl playing MMOs it kind of expected...

I have patience, so see all when servers are up again. :)

/squish
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cryptic. I am sorry there are so many crybaby *****es playing your game, who expect everything to be perfect on day one. And who have obviously never played another MMO in their lives to expect this sort of thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    aeroclown wrote: »
    I hear having a brain is a good thing now a days. There isn't one single server noob, its a cluster that acts as one server. Google is your friend.

"Noob," says Junior Member, join date Jan 2010! lol :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    actually i's 7:30 in Australia here so it's all us aussies getting online. if the last thing you saw before the server crash was the USS Core blimey the USS Crikey! the USS Skippy and the USS Sturth Mate! all headingoff from starbase you'll know it was out fault

LOL Great post! You win for making me giggle today! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seems like there are a lot of idiots on here then, crashes happen all the time on MMO's
    get some bricks and mortar, build a bridge and get over it
    it will be back up
    and its not even launched yet its early start so you should expect issues

Really loving it so far though, best game i played in years
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AnjelusX wrote:
    Games go up, games go down, common for Free to Play and Pay to Play alike. Could be a funny server, someone tripped, put a cheese slice in the dvd-rom, hackers, or cosmic alignment. Some have invested a good amount of money already, other's haven't. Such is life, getting frustrated over it and banging you head against the forums really doesn't do anything except maybe give you some emotional satisfaction.

For "Lifers" some hiccups in the early week or two is really nothing in the longer term grand scheme of the universe, expecting things to work perfectly in a game, or in life is kinda silly you realize? Nothing works perfectly, even toilet paper can get jammed up on the roll every now and then.

Stand up, take a ****, go for some Gagh, brew some fresh coffee, hug a bunnie, it's only a little time out of the game, not the end of the universe, be more zen about it. They fiix it quick great, if it's an hour or two, oh well, life goes on. It'll be back up, we'll be warping about gleefully once more and all will be well with the universe once more.

Remember sometimes you just gotta Breathe.

Amen. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    depending on what you ordered from gamestop i might have you beat lifetime collectors and a regular copy of the game from amazon.

Just the regular one from Gamestop.

I wanted two pre-order items, the TOS uniforms, and the TOS Constitution (non refit).

Of course, it turned out later that if I'd bought the Digital Deluxe from Gamestop I'd have gotten both for one pre-order. Oh well.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If it's "unexpected downtime" that means WE brought it down, not Cryptic.

On the one hand, this is unfortunate cause I really want to get back in-game. But on the other hand, it means I might just make it to Tuesday in my starter, and my Gamestop Connie won't be worthless. :D

People need to expect this for the next week at least, because there's more people playing in headstart than there was playing beta, and once launch day comes there will be EVEN MORE people online than in both beta and headstart.

It will be interesting to see how completely unprepared for the load they are if it's nothing else.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    For the people saying throw money at it. Throwing money at things isn't a solution. It is just bad business sense, which Cryptic is a business that I hope stay around for a while. For the people complaining about unexpected downtime and that they hate Cryptic, hate this, hate that. Is someone forcing you to play? Last I checked it was optional to play the game or not, if a game gets under your skin that bad, specially a new game coming up on a network, then maybe MMO's are not advisable.

As with anything with a network as a root necessity for the program there are bound to be problems, even years after release. Bottlenecks that were not foreseen rearing their heads, bugs that never popped up or not found suddenly causing huge problems. No software is ever bug free. Patience is key for anything in life.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    IceEmQuick wrote: »
    The only stable MMORPG that currently exists is easily EVE-Online... It has its scheduled downtime every day, but in the last 5 years of my subscribing to it has it had a server issue with me online. With the open beta, I figured that they would get this stuff ironed out, figure out they needed to beef up their hardware, but I guess thats how you make money, try to save on the hardware part....

Dude what are you talking about? If Eve had an issue with you online that it was just you man. Never had a problem with EVE and even during the beta test we didnt have down times every single day mutliple times a day.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tyranian wrote:
    "Noob," says Junior Member, join date Jan 2010! lol :)

Yours says the same...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    vaidd wrote: »
    I have to agree best launch of an mmo i have seen in over 10years.

I never played the beta (watched the giantbomb crew though which was a laugh) but nothing prepared me for the first hour of the game when hit space and I couldn't move or see any navigational markers through all the hundreds of ships, awesome sight!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They should have gotten these bugs worked out already. They had development time, closed beta, and open beta.

Having the game crash repeatdly right at the start is NOT a good sign.

They are likely to get really bad reviews.

One time counts as repeatedly? The only other server downtime was the 3am to 5 am , and that wasn't a crash. I played all day yesterday and all last night till the server maintenace with no problems. So far this is the smoothest "launch" I have ever seen. Next is the real launch and then the Euro launch.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WHIP THE HAMSTERS! OR TRIBBLES!

(or whatever is powering the servers :) )
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DeadWabbit wrote: »
    I don't want to flame or anything but you REALLY need to get a clue. The people that are "whining" about the server crashing are paying customers. As for them pushing the power button and steping away from the computer I have to ask, who the hell are you to judge them exactly? While MMO's are notorious for having down times they are NOT notorious for having mutiple down times in one day EVERY day. And don't use words like moaning please if you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Thanks.

Really, what other MMORPG's have you played at launch?Saying that other MMORPG's didn't have multiple crashes at launch is laughable. WoW crashed every other hour, there weren't enough servers and people had to wait MANY hours in a queue to get on. No beta testing can prepare the developers for the surge of people connecting. You simply cannot predict how much stress the servers will be put under.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Time for some apple juice.
This discussion has been closed.