What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Just accept the down time, and then accept and enjoy the up time.

WOULD YOU LIKE CHEESE WITH THAT WHINE?

I HAVE A RECIPE FOR A TASTY SMOKED CHEDDAR!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hokk wrote:
    People we are Betatesters))) Don*t Forget this)))

Ummm no we are not. We are paying customers taking part in something that was advertised to be available to us in return for purchasing the product. There is a big difference.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, its better than no communication.

Cheers!

I agree at least they are saying SOMETHING.

But don't you all think that maybe if criptic actually communicated what the problem is perhaps we could help them to find this crashing problem? I know the servers are overloaded but something in the code keeps breaking and at this point I don't think criptic knows how to fix it.

Same crash symptoms since beginning of open beta. Now here we are all PAID customers and experiencing the same problems that plagued beta.

Lift the vale criptic... let us know what is happening and allow us to provide feedback about the problem and what we might have done to cause it. I know that is what beta was for but I think beta ended way too soon. This game feels rushed to release right now and the stability shows that also.

Don't get me wrong people I support criptic and plan on playing for a very long time.

But...

I feel like they are being secretive about these problems because if we knew what was really happening we would all cancel our orders and begin the mass exodus back to eve. (Hoping I am wrong!)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    _bonius wrote:
    It is, but these downtimes will continue to happen when it's live.

That's what happens with MMO's, I wonder if any of the complainers have played MMO's before, I clearly remember WoW's first month was plagued with unplayability.

Exactly....get a grip people!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ocktaine wrote:
    So the servers are down?

just jokes
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was beginning to think things were improving over the complete farce of yesterday. I guess I was wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DTiger76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.
    The unexpected DT's are getting very annoying very fast though.
    After beta one can expect a proper working game or was the beta a 'beta beta' and is the headstart the beta?
    Feels like the gamer is not allowed to expect a proper working game anymore and should find it 'normal' that beta testing continues to take place during the first weeks and that daily patching is the standard.

I find 24/24h playability (except scheduled DT) a normal thing for a paying game.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but if you pay you should be able to play.

Guys, here's the honest truth... If you want to pay for a good solid stable game, then go play mario cart. It's impossible for anyone to be 100% on how servers running something this complex will handle the load of start dates, even with beta testing. Trust me I'm a server admin and even with all the money and staff in the world their are times when you just can't predict how systems are going to react, it comes with playing a game that's on the bleeding edge.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wildcat84 wrote: »
    I have paid for a lifetime subscription and two pre-orders, the Direc2Drive Digital Deluxe, and the Gamestop one.

depending on what you ordered from gamestop i might have you beat lifetime collectors and a regular copy of the game from amazon.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay guys...this is no big, it's happened so many times to MMO's it's silly...

But all the talk that this is free time and "beta" still just discredits your argument...

We are into the "Pay-for-play" now, and Cryptic really should have had their infrastructure straight long-before now..... this is our early ticket into Disneyland before the crowds show up... We did pay for it... But no sense in freaking out over something that has happened to the best of the best games ever...

So yeah, no biggie, go get a Starbucks... Smoke some crack...err whatever twists your Twinkies... ...But don't try to placate people with false arguments, it just fans the flames....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Game crashed multiple times before it finally went down for everyone. heh I just hope that my skill points and my customization of my sci officer dont get reset. >.>
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Re-route all power to the main Hamster wheel !!!!! thanks for the note.. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    7o9 wrote:
    lol all who say thx for info ... are u blind ... every old man with only one eye can see that the server is down ... bring them up, beta is over and do your job now

100% agree.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nightlore wrote:
    And May The Force Be With You.

Nah... it seems the server 'just don't have the energy captain' ;)

BTW, to OP: Thanks for the info... nice to know you're on top of it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Draksz wrote:
    Heh, this is not the launch yet... wait till just after its fully launched ;)

I beg to differ head start is not only a launch, it's the VIP launch since we had to pay extra for the privilege. I understand the down-time, and as long as it's back in an hour, it's normal once a day or so, but what is unforgivable is that they decided not to include our bonuses in the head start. I feel completely cheated, backstabbed, maligned, betrayed, and TRIBBLE!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team

The Star Trek Online Team

Thanks! Looking forward to getting back in the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Beta test ended during the week, this is early start RELEASE.

Again, Head Start is Release Candidate.. Feb.2, 2010 is the Release or Officially online.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tribbles are on strike, they want food and the chance to reproduce non-stop instead of starving and being forced to power the servers from their hamster wheels.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DTiger76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.
    The unexpected DT's are getting very annoying very fast though.
    After beta one can expect a proper working game or was the beta a 'beta beta' and is the headstart the beta?
    Feels like the gamer is not allowed to expect a proper working game anymore and should find it 'normal' that beta testing continues to take place during the first weeks and that daily patching is the standard.

I find 24/24h playability (except scheduled DT) a normal thing for a paying game.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but if you pay you should be able to play.

The problem is that when a company pushes a release date back so they can work on it more people get mad, lots of downtimes for patches in the begining people get mad, servers crash people get mad. I think a lot of MMO'ers are just mad at something.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Drat! Got back hoping for some spacebound pewpew to find the server down.

Off to enjoy some old school Earth and Beyond, then. :3
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    chbarrett3 wrote: »
    I was having such a good time that i almost cancelled my table top game for the night.. then the unexpected downtime. Now i have a decision. Wait till server comes back up or go DM the table top

Now now... you should be a responsible DM... I know the temptation, but... Oh yeah, I retired from my game years ago. ;)

Man, I just finally got in, our internet connection had to be reset, and once I got back to try and make my character, the server is down. *sigh* But if this is the first major crash since Head Start launch, they're doing pretty good.

As a network admin, I kinda feel sorry for them. Scrambling around behind the scenes, restarting or running diagnostics trying to figure out what went wrong, doing what they can to try and get everything back up as soon as possible. I'm dreading installing a new server for a small church, much less something this big.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wgc01 wrote: »
    Re-route all power to the main Hamster wheel !!!!! thanks for the note.. :)

They use a Tribble wheel
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kutter01 wrote: »
    For some reason I picture a tired and grumpy Dev standing over the power switch to the servers and saying
    "Cry HAVOC and let slip the Nerds of War!!":D

:D:D:D

This made me smile.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To those who say "go outside..."

It's -15 degrees C (5 degrees F) outside in Toronto right now. Do you have any better advice? ;)

Maybe I'll go watch some TNG.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bear. wrote:
    This has been a surprisingly smooth launch so far :)

Keep it up guys!

*whispers to Cryptic* hey guys, this is going to be a lot more popular then you thought, you might want to think about buying a TON more servers, and quick!

I have to agree best launch of an mmo i have seen in over 10years.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Games go up, games go down, common for Free to Play and Pay to Play alike. Could be a funny server, someone tripped, put a cheese slice in the dvd-rom, hackers, or cosmic alignment. Some have invested a good amount of money already, other's haven't. Such is life, getting frustrated over it and banging you head against the forums really doesn't do anything except maybe give you some emotional satisfaction.

For "Lifers" some hiccups in the early week or two is really nothing in the longer term grand scheme of the universe, expecting things to work perfectly in a game, or in life is kinda silly you realize? Nothing works perfectly, even toilet paper can get jammed up on the roll every now and then.

Stand up, take a ****, go for some Gagh, brew some fresh coffee, hug a bunnie, it's only a little time out of the game, not the end of the universe, be more zen about it. They fiix it quick great, if it's an hour or two, oh well, life goes on. It'll be back up, we'll be warping about gleefully once more and all will be well with the universe once more.

Remember sometimes you just gotta Breathe.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes please delete or lock the other maint threads, i had to actually look around to find this one

and I sure hope you fired the fat slob who spilled coffee all over the server
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hate to break it to some of you but this has been one of the smoothest launchs (pre-launch) of an MMO.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Erm I find it highly amusing that these threads its always the GM/Dev stating the blindingly obvious and people reply with things like thanks or cheers.

What?! :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    actually i's 7:30 in Australia here so it's all us aussies getting online. if the last thing you saw before the server crash was the USS Core blimey the USS Crikey! the USS Skippy and the USS Sturth Mate! all headingoff from starbase you'll know it was out fault
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bring in all the female crew from the TOS!! We need them all to come at remove all the tribbles from the servers!!
This discussion has been closed.