test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Welcome to Paid Beta :) /snicker /cackle sorry, couldn't resist.
    edited January 2010
    Gorothul wrote:
    Time for a break then I guess .... :)

we have the same picture lol.
    edited January 2010
    chbarrett3 wrote: »
    I was having such a good time that i almost cancelled my table top game for the night.. then the unexpected downtime. Now i have a decision. Wait till server comes back up or go DM the table top

If your table-top group is fun, then definitely go DM. The best video game in the world can't beat a good tabletop session. A crappy table-top session, however, (ie crabby players with no roleplaying sense) is like playing ET the Extraterestrial or Shaq Fu. Ugh.

I wish I could get a solid group going in my area for the Star Wars table-top RPG. :)
    edited January 2010
    You people who are crying that you might or are going to cancel your orders because the servers are down need to JUST DO IT ALREADY....please for the rest of us who enjoy the game
    LEAVE...LEAVE NOW!!!

Geeesh I dont want such inpatient people causing in game problems so maybe them leaving because of a couple server outages will be good for the community overall.

I bet more people quit MMO because of the community than because of server issues
    edited January 2010
    calm down!

dont forget, this is just a beta and it will be still a beta for the next weeks -.-
    edited January 2010
    Beta test ended during the week, this is early start RELEASE.

No, so far its been OB2 not pre-live.

They really need to get better server swag down there.
    edited January 2010
    Gwil wrote:
    What's next for STO? How about a mass exodus of disgruntled players? I paid for a year but, as much as I enjoy the game, I'm starting to feel kinda dumb. At least I don't have a "lifetime" of stupidity to regret. This "shard" configuration seems woefully inadequate to deal with the size of the player population we're seeing. Something needs to change . . . fast!

Christ! one crash!? how long have you been playing MMO's? how many launches have you gone through?? get real dude...This is small potatoes compared to alot of launches ive been through....
    edited January 2010
    7o9 wrote:
    Saturday Evening 9.00 pm in germany, what a nice time for a server crash :D

I know EXACTLY how you feel. These downtimes are awful for us European players; I was looking forward to playing on into the late night before the scheduled maintenance smack in the middle of my day tomorrow, too.

But, to be fair, a company can't cater to the entire bloody world when there's only one 'server' for us all when it comes to maintenance times, and for that I'm sympathetic to Cryptic.

Think of it this way, North Americans: at least you've got the afternoon and evening to look forward to! :D
    edited January 2010
    Hopefully the maintenance will solve the issue of not receiving quest rewards... one can hope :-)

Downtime was great, had a chance to grab some lunch and a shower and do my nails without feeling like I was missing out :-)
    edited January 2010
    You're an idiot
    Thx for the flowers. But now i pay for it, and beta was long enough. If u want to pay for nothing i can tell u a lot of games where u can doing this.
    edited January 2010
    Lets just hope for no roll backs. Crashes I was expecting when I first logged in...it was slow, but if I have to regain those 2 levels from this morning im going to become agitated.
    edited January 2010
    You're cutting into my headstart time, guys.

If it's "unexpected downtime" that means WE brought it down, not Cryptic.

On the one hand, this is unfortunate cause I really want to get back in-game. But on the other hand, it means I might just make it to Tuesday in my starter, and my Gamestop Connie won't be worthless. :D

People need to expect this for the next week at least, because there's more people playing in headstart than there was playing beta, and once launch day comes there will be EVEN MORE people online than in both beta and headstart.
    edited January 2010
    Thx for that information Skytrail
    edited January 2010
    Daireishi wrote:
    More like $300 with the pre-order eh?

I have paid for a lifetime subscription and two pre-orders, the Direc2Drive Digital Deluxe, and the Gamestop one.
    edited January 2010
    Hah, nice... JUST sat down to jump into STO. Back to Mass Effect 2.
    edited January 2010
    Having played EQ1 and EQ2 for over 7 years, and having that game crash with every expansion.. This on isnt doing all that poorly. I would have hoped they would have incorporated a better way of communication for outages. The message could be posted on the login screen with an ETA.
    edited January 2010
    So the servers are down?
    edited January 2010
    Everybody needs to:

1. Calm down

2. Go watch TWOK

3. The servers are cooled down rebooted and back online! yay!

:P
    edited January 2010
    *Peels self out of chair leaving imprint*

Actually I just got back from Dominos with chicken kickers only do be denied.

Oh well...guess I'll go watch NFL Network for boring Pro Bowl previews.
    edited January 2010
    Cryptic: Scotty, I need more blade servers!!!!!

Scotty: The server farm is giving you all she's got!
    Scotty: I canna change the laws of physics! I've got to have thirty minutes
    edited January 2010
    ah I used to play the SW RPG back in the day. a great system and great fun

sadly Im in the uk to, its evening and primetime for us, what a pain to have le server go down but it does happen and they are keeping people informed/trying!
    edited January 2010
    khamseen wrote: »
    The people who are constantly whining that the server has crashed and it's preventing them playing really need to start pressing the power button once in a while and backing away from the PC.

MMO's are notorious for having server down time, we've only just entered head start yesterday, stop moaning and start being grateful for the time and work they are putting in.

I don't want to flame or anything but you REALLY need to get a clue. The people that are "whining" about the server crashing are paying customers. As for them pushing the power button and steping away from the computer I have to ask, who the hell are you to judge them exactly? While MMO's are notorious for having down times they are NOT notorious for having mutiple down times in one day EVERY day. And don't use words like moaning please if you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Thanks.
    edited January 2010
    EricDahRed wrote: »
    If your table-top group is fun, then definitely go DM. The best video game in the world can't beat a good tabletop session. A crappy table-top session, however, (ie crabby players with no roleplaying sense) is like playing ET the Extraterestrial or Shaq Fu. Ugh.

I wish I could get a solid group going in my area for the Star Wars table-top RPG. :)

I'm lucky if I can get a group together for one day to play some Talisman or Federation and Empire. I'd love to find a regular PnP RPG group again.
    edited January 2010
    For some reason I picture a tired and grumpy Dev standing over the power switch to the servers and saying
    "Cry HAVOC and let slip the Nerds of War!!":D
    edited January 2010
    hehehe ... love it ... all those kids having tantrums ... great!
    edited January 2010
    I played all day yesterday (almost), and all morning today. This is the first major crash since headstart, well, started. I'm impressed, to say the least. Keep up the good work dev's, I can't wait to get back in.

Now.....lunch. lol.

So you are saying that 24hrs of uptime is good enough for you? Not for me.
    edited January 2010
    We Really need a official "Federation News Network" (ie Downtime / Maintenance) Twitter / RSS feed. I am getting annoyed to launch a browser just to see what the server status is. If they can have it on the home page then they can make a Twitter / RSS Feed as well. It would sure be very useful.
    edited January 2010
    Mebbe this is a little server guy vs. web dude?

"Did you get my email about not taking the servers down?"
    edited January 2010
    buy more servers plz.

Dont buy more servers until you know how to use them and keep them online :)
    edited January 2010
    This has been a surprisingly smooth launch so far :)

Keep it up guys!

*whispers to Cryptic* hey guys, this is going to be a lot more popular then you thought, you might want to think about buying a TON more servers, and quick!
This discussion has been closed.