Install Arc
Options

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Zylozeer wrote:
    Its sad that people are so used to unfinished quality they defend it like children with a 1-armed He-Man figurine.

You people that attack those that critique the 'release' need to rethink your expectations of consumer quality. Its not because people are hooked on the game like a drug (which they might be) but its because when you pay for something, it should work.

I wouldn't buy a car that has a high chance of shutting itself off for 2-hour windows randomly.

Everyone who had experience in beta testing knew what was coming. its going to get worse when the game actually releases 2/2.

Can't use 'This Is Beta!" excuse any more.

Oh and yes, you can save the, "Blah Bllaaaahhh!! if you dont like it, leave!" childish responses. I paid for the game and want to enjoy it, but at the same time I'm not a brain washed consumer with stockholm syndrome defending a broken toy. If we as consumers held companies to a higher standard, they might actually deliver.

-Z

oh well, another lost vent.

I'm glad you signed your post, otherwise I would have had no idea who wrote it. Thanks.

-O
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the info!

Personally, I'd rather you guys work out the problems than sit on forums and responding to every concerned post. The initial post is more than enough. There's a problem, and you're working on it.

All I need to know. :)

On to Mass Effect 2 meanwhile. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    JPasquill wrote:
    Really, what other MMORPG's have you played at launch?Saying that other MMORPG's didn't have multiple crashes at launch is laughable. WoW crashed every other hour, there weren't enough servers and people had to wait MANY hours in a queue to get on. No beta testing can prepare the developers for the surge of people connecting. You simply cannot predict how much stress the servers will be put under.

Lets see what other MMORPG's have I beta tested that did NOT have these kinds of issues...hmmm let me think...Oh I know. EVE-ONLINE. If you don't know what you are talking about then you REALLY should not talk. K? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tedger wrote: »
    Posting on epic thread!

Eh, pretty commonplace, actually. One of thousands to come. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zylozeer wrote:
    Its sad that people are so used to unfinished quality they defend it like children with a 1-armed He-Man figurine.

You people that attack those that critique the 'release' need to rethink your expectations of consumer quality. Its not because people are hooked on the game like a drug (which they might be) but its because when you pay for something, it should work.

I wouldn't buy a car that has a high chance of shutting itself off for 2-hour windows randomly.

Everyone who had experience in beta testing knew what was coming. its going to get worse when the game actually releases 2/2.

Can't use 'This Is Beta!" excuse any more.

Oh and yes, you can save the, "Blah Bllaaaahhh!! if you dont like it, leave!" childish responses. I paid for the game and want to enjoy it, but at the same time I'm not a brain washed consumer with stockholm syndrome defending a broken toy. If we as consumers held companies to a higher standard, they might actually deliver.

-Z

oh well, another lost vent.
    When i read this a little bit of pee came out.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gwil wrote:
    Good point. Has anyone seen a roll-back after any of these server crashes? In other MMOs I have lost accumulated experience and loot after a server crash, but my new toon doesn't have enough of either to really notice. Either that or he can't stay connected long enough to see much of an upward trend. (j/k . . . sorta)
    To my knowledge, there has never been a rollback in any version of STO yet. There have been version rollbacks, but even with those, our character integrity (loot, skills, levels etc) remained unchanged. People complain about the downtime, but it could really be much worse.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I tell ya what, Cryptic, you guys should not be at this point in the game. It's not beta anymore. Yeah it's head-start, but you guys are still patching? Your server is crashing under load and you're trying to optimize it to keep it up because you don't have enough servers.

You are not ready for release...period.

yeah, this right here...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89566

Get more servers online okay? You should have expected this.

Sorry, I have no patience for bad planning. You know better than this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Good God...

How can anyone keep up with the pages of replies?!? I skim and fall further behind.

When they do put an update here, how many people will see it w/o it getting buried?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    THX for informations, go on that way Cryptic ! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yikes! I thought this would have been a simple server cycle. What did we break>?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When the head start, ... er ... started, I asked myself, "self, why is the SyFy channel running a Star Trek marithon?"

Saddly, now I know why. This has not been much of a head start. On the bright side, It will launch on time,?! :eek::confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thePsycher wrote:
    Good God...

How can anyone keep up with the pages of replies?!? I skim and fall further behind.

When they do put an update here, how many people will see it w/o it getting buried?

I don't think anybody ever gets to read all of this, and play thee game, there's simply not enough hours in a day.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The trolls and haters are out in force. May I suggest everyone step away, grab a beverage, and watch these until the server comes back up:

http://www.youtube.com/show/startrek
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If they delay posting the ETA, they can shave time off the final. They can post an ETA of an hour now, and everyone would cheer, as it's not the 2-3 were used it. But, it will have still been 2 hours...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You're an idiot

and your a puppet.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Outpost wrote: »
    I'm glad you signed your post, otherwise I would have had no idea who wrote it. Thanks.

-O

Habit from forum use ages ago. You are welcome though, thanks for thanking me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I totally agree.
    There has been plenty of time to work out the bugs, to plan for the amount of people that could possibley login.
    To be fair I'd appreciate monetary credit for the downtime since I paid the U.S. $239.99 for the lifetime subscriber for a borg that it took 24 hours before I was able to get and for the servers being down "unexpectedly".
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Caremar wrote:
    wow i had to dig to get this news...the game crashes..ok... i wait for a note..ok....i get this line of leftover TRIBBLE

so i had to come in here and wade through old maintance notes with no times on them just to happen across this one

The OP in this thread was posted at 12:20 Pacific time, which was about half an hour ago. Every post in the thread has a time stamp on it.

Maybe you read the wrong thread before posting in this one.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raidenfox wrote: »
    In the meantime people look at my thread here and let me know what ya think =)

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1781591#post1781591

No. So there. Wanna fight about it?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just wanted to post to all the people who say the head start is not launch. Will our accounts be wiped when Feb 2nd comes? no... This is the launch for all who told cryptic heres my key i have bought the game or heres my 239.00 for a lifetime subscription. Now the fact that this is a new game we all need to be a little more forgiving of problems that may occur. No game out there has launched from scratch without any issues at all. lets just let them do what they do and get things up and running.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey cryptic,

I work in a building in seattle, WA with plenty of connectivity and server rack space. email me and I can get you the name and number of our telecom facilities manager. Heck we are in the process of preparing to build a 30000 sq.ft. data center with double redundant utility feeds and diesel generator back ups and state of the art cooling, all with access to a fiber back bone in the heart of downtown seattle. seriously seems like you guys need something like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DeadWabbit wrote: »
    Lets see what other Mop's have I beta tested that did NOT have these kinds of issues...hmmm let me think...Oh I know. EVE-ON LINE. If you don't know what you are talking about then you REALLY should not talk. K? Thanks.

normally its the rule that this kind of stuff happens...not the exception.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Grantisdon wrote: »
    When i read this a little bit of pee came out.

When I read that I laughed so hard that the beer I was drinking came out of my nose and spilled all over my keyboard. I'm sending you the bill.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ya, this isn't a surprise.
    and it isn't even full release yet

Same stuff happened with SWG and AC 2 (and Vanguard and every other game) when I beta/played them at release.

Calm down
    Get some lunch

Come back for more mindless federation killing
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    For sure. Star Wars Galaxies anyone? Even WoW experienced this kind of stuff with launch and each expansion does it all over again.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rember this is one of the SMOOTHEST launches in MMO history. Yes the game has in game bugs, but I'm talking about PURE uptime.

Wow, EQ1, EQ2, AION, SWG (all the giants and more). Usually crashed 1-5Xs in a 24 hrs period for 1-3 WEEKS after launch. Eq1 and Wow were pretty much UNPLAYABLE for a week. Eq2 barely playable for a week. AION had 2-14hr login queues depending on the server you were on with 5000-40000ms ping and constantly crashed

ONE schedule mait since lunch, ONE quickie lil crash, and ONE BIG crash since launch is NOTHING LOL. We're just lucky it's not crashing every 1-2 hrs :)

Expect this:
    1) PLANNED DOWNTIME EVERYNIGHT from around 3am-5am PT (GMT-8) for 1-2weeks with the scheduled maint becoming less and less over time. The server are run and hosted in California, USA and are based on Pacific Time or GMT-8. All planned downtime will usually revolved around USA time zone. Sorry, but that's the way it is with one server. It's not like they have an EU server.

2) EXPECT random crashes

3) If you find a bug in game, DONT complain on the forums. That does almost nothing. Submit a BUG REPORT IN GAME, and ALSO a GM ticket to help you. GM's can often grant you the lost BOFFs that the bugged BOFF rewards failed to give (they did for me)

4) there's no need to tell Cryptic the server is down LOLOLOL! They have TONS of staff and people IN the game with us CONSTNATLY.... They get kicked out just like we do! LOL. So they know when there's an issue

Just sit back.. ride the bumps.. and the more bug reports we send in the faster they will get fixed.

And if what's been going on is too much to handle, then those people should not be playing this game or any other MMO for that matter because they clearly don't realise how rocky ALL mmo launches are

Either the server will be back up soon , or 1-3 hrs... go do something else.. if it's getting LATE where you live... go crash and sleep. The game will be here tomorrow.

Racing to level 45 is POINTLESS. Cryptic has already admitted there is a HUGE lack of end game content. Most of the content that was supposed to be in game at launch was delayed 30 days (hence why they reduced the lvl cap from 50 to 45 and skill capped it... lack of end game content.. and this is NORMAL... almost every mmo gets launched with its endgame content behind schedule and often takes them 30-90 days to get it in

So if you are RUSHING to make Admiral in 2 weekss, you will find yourself very, very bored with the game ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One day a company will come along that knows how to launch a MMO and do it right. I really can't wait till that happens... and I wish that the name "star trek" would have had a bit of weight to it, instead of being "just another MMO with a hard deadline".

There was such a company, and in fact it worked on Star Trek. It wasn't rushing, it was going to do it right Have a clean start, have enough servers, have all sorts of functions and not do basic expansions in a few months. It was going to be the best launch ever.

Perpetual went out of business launching neither of the titles it was working on.

The reality is that MMOs take subscription money for development. They get a usable product out the door and use the sales and sub fees to pay for fixes and expansion. If they really made a truly finished product, they would never launch.

Now, as far as how bad this one is? Go online and read about the first days of Anarchy Online. Or EVE. Or EQ2. Or WoW. So far? This is nothing.

Having said that, I want it to come back too. Ready to play now!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To my knowledge, there has never been a rollback in any version of STO yet. There have been version rollbacks, but even with those, our character integrity (loot, skills, levels etc) remained unchanged. People complain about the downtime, but it could really be much worse.

only problum with that is that now they will have to do one if stuff gets corrupted in beta they just had us live with it. heck in closed my main was so bugged i couldt change anything on it
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Erich83 wrote: »
    ya this is the 1st downtime whats everyone going crazy about, you'd think you just took their heroin away from them

yeah thats pretty much it

with a touch of this
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well at least this gives me time to do curls with my cats (the feline kind) siince our one inch of predicted snow became 4+ inches :)
This discussion has been closed.