test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    stanster wrote: »
    For sure. Star Wars Galaxies anyone? Even WoW experienced this kind of stuff with launch and each expansion does it all over again.

WoW sure did.
    edited January 2010
    I don't think that Cryptic software is responsible for the current outage. In this instance, it was an internet outage that borked everything. I'm sure they are doing everything possible to bring it back up to feed our addictions. Me? I'm using this time to eat a sandwich.
    edited January 2010
    The only thing more useless than moaning about server downtime is telling people not to moan about server downtime. :D
    edited January 2010
    Sorry guys my fault ever since closed beta every time I zone there is a 1 percent chance the server will go down. LoL not kidding much I'am always in mid zone when the servers crash. Happens every time. :eek:

Captain Max Spartan {Legion - Liberated Borg} commanding the cruiser USS IRON HORSE. :D
    edited January 2010
    Why all the Crying man would u much rather play the same old TRIBBLE everyday while thay keep developing this game for another year or would u rather play it now and deal with bugs while thay develop the i choose play the game now................ so stop crying there is a reason your on the forum and not playing wow...
    edited January 2010
    Can anyone remember the crappy start of AoC? :rolleyes:

That was annoying, STO is mostly fine.
    edited January 2010
    Now, now, no need to fight younglings....
    edited January 2010
    SERVERs UP!!!

not
    edited January 2010
    DeadWabbit wrote: »
    Lets see what other MMORPG's have I beta tested that did NOT have these kinds of issues...hmmm let me think...Oh I know. EVE-ONLINE. If you don't know what you are talking about then you REALLY should not talk. K? Thanks.

EVE online was not a popular release. Maybe 3000-5000 people played at launched at any given time. That was also 2003. This is 2010. The server volume is likely much higher (10000-20000, or maybe higher).
    edited January 2010
    Please don't tell me this is gonna be the usual. during open beta, every time I got home from work the server just went down for maintenance, which I couldn't complain about because it was Beta. But now in the head start the moment I get home from work the damn server is down due to unexpected downtime. :mad:
    edited January 2010
    Feed the troll.
    edited January 2010
    For sure. Star Wars Galaxies anyone? Even WoW experienced this kind of stuff with launch and each expansion does it all over again.

Aye, to date this is one of the smoothest launches I've ever seen, providing this downtime doesn't start stuttering.
    edited January 2010
    SWG was horrible at launch. People that were bugged couldn't log in for upwards of over a week at a time. The forum thread about the bug reached well over 1000 posts and eventually had to be closed with a general "We're working on it" statement.
    edited January 2010
    Hani_Obaid wrote:
    I beg to differ head start is not only a launch, it's the VIP launch since we had to pay extra for the privilege. I understand the down-time, and as long as it's back in an hour, it's normal once a day or so, but what is unforgivable is that they decided not to include our bonuses in the head start. I feel completely cheated, backstabbed, maligned, betrayed, and TRIBBLE!

In what way did you pay extra for the privelege? All you had to do was preorder it to get in on head start. To my knowledge, that means you gave some company like Gamestop $5 for the preorder, and that you will pay the remaining $44 on Feb 2nd. Looks to me more like Cryptic is giving YOU free game time, from Jan 29th to Feb 6th (which is the deadline to enter a retail key)
    edited January 2010
    Curac wrote:
    Inconceivable!!

NEVER go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!!
    edited January 2010
    yeah for reals...thanks for letting us know , i bet you could just sense an impatient army of geeks staring at they're monitors lol
    edited January 2010
    Eve online launch problems were interesting.. database wipe for the win.
    edited January 2010
    AnjelusX wrote:
    Games go up, games go down, common for Free to Play and Pay to Play alike. Could be a funny server, someone tripped, put a cheese slice in the dvd-rom, hackers, or cosmic alignment. Some have invested a good amount of money already, other's haven't. Such is life, getting frustrated over it and banging you head against the forums really doesn't do anything except maybe give you some emotional satisfaction.

For "Lifers" some hiccups in the early week or two is really nothing in the longer term grand scheme of the universe, expecting things to work perfectly in a game, or in life is kinda silly you realize? Nothing works perfectly, even toilet paper can get jammed up on the roll every now and then.

Stand up, take a ****, go for some Gagh, brew some fresh coffee, hug a bunnie, it's only a little time out of the game, not the end of the universe, be more zen about it. They fiix it quick great, if it's an hour or two, oh well, life goes on. It'll be back up, we'll be warping about gleefully once more and all will be well with the universe once more.

Remember sometimes you just gotta Breathe.
    Amen!

Oh well, I just made out a date with a friend of mine, couple of hours ago to meet in STO at 9 p.m. (GMT+1) and here we go, server's down. But alright, I shrug and put on an Episode of DS9, for the wait.
    All in all this is a very smooth and nice headstart, and although I wasn't able to play as much as I liked to, I'm not in the slightest frustrated, cause this is headstart/launch. This HAPPENS. I know that, I expect it, I accept it. It'll get better in time, so sit back and relax. Save your aggro for the Borg :D
    edited January 2010
    wildcat84 wrote: »
    Unexpected. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inconceivable!
    edited January 2010
    Please don't tell me this is gonna be the usual. during open beta, every time I got home from work the server just went down for maintenance, which I couldn't complain about because it was Beta. But now in the head start the moment I get home from work the damn server is down due to unexpected downtime. :mad:

Go back to work.
    edited January 2010
    (cross posted for more views while we wait)

Yeah sorry, I might have caued the crash. I was playing with the root_command:

/loadholodeck; File=Riker_nude_volleyball; grav=0.8; breast_size=large; crowd_size=500; crowd_texture=naked

While doing this, I was also having the replicator make me some Tea, Earl Gray, hot...

Opps, my bad...

Ensign, plot a couse to anywhere...
    Ludicrous Speed, Engage!

Capt. Fast Eddie
    U.S.S Carl Sagan
    edited January 2010
    I don't think that Cryptic software is responsible for the current outage. In this instance, it was an internet outage that borked everything. I'm sure they are doing everything possible to bring it back up to feed our addictions. Me? I'm using this time to eat a sandwich.

Well it's good you have such an insight on things. You are 'sure' of how things are and all... :rolleyes:
    edited January 2010
    "Your child is having a tantrum, Mr. Spock." -- McCoy (Star Trek: TMP)
    edited January 2010
    I'm beginning to think I won't make Captain this weekend...

These unexpected downtimes are very disappointing. :(
    edited January 2010
    I know that prolly none of the support is reading this since we got a GM Message that with the problem is being dealt with but i just want you guys to consider that this server downtimes wich mostly are around noon PST are ok for most us people but i hope Cryptic you also take in consideration that this is european prime time.
    edited January 2010
    WTB "Find next GM post" button so I don't have to wade through 30 pages of whiners and optimists
    edited January 2010
    Zylozeer wrote:
    Its sad that people are so used to unfinished quality they defend it like children with a 1-armed He-Man figurine.

You people that attack those that critique the 'release' need to rethink your expectations of consumer quality. Its not because people are hooked on the game like a drug (which they might be) but its because when you pay for something, it should work.

I wouldn't buy a car that has a high chance of shutting itself off for 2-hour windows randomly.

Everyone who had experience in beta testing knew what was coming. its going to get worse when the game actually releases 2/2.

Can't use 'This Is Beta!" excuse any more.

Well, they used that at the end of Beta, and see where that got us. One can only hope that eventually that excuse will be laid to rest.

Or things like "Other MMOs are like this too". When WoW launched, it was their first MMO. When STO launches, it will be Cryptic's THIRD.

People need to realize that they CAN, and SHOULD expect quality in software. It doesn't matter if six dice rolls ended up in a "1", the seventh is independent of the others. The same applies "all the other MMOs blah blah". STO is not WoW.

MMOs fail. I don't want STO to fail, and sometimes customers need to put pressure on a company to get things better. This is STAR TREK, not Hero Games System. NO-ONE should have been expecting the same level of popularity as a niche superhero MMO.

Sure, they can fix the bugs over the months so that eventually things get stable next year. But we don't want another Hellgate. We just want to play a quality game. We may be a bit miffed (since the excuses from the apologist players are lame and tiring ) but we aren't foaming at the mouth, expecting perfection or mad at the front-line people. We want the managers to recognize the quality can be, and needs to be improved without delay.

That shouldn't be too much to ask for now.
    edited January 2010
    Zylozeer wrote:
    Its sad that people are so used to unfinished quality they defend it like children with a 1-armed He-Man figurine.

You people that attack those that critique the 'release' need to rethink your expectations of consumer quality. Its not because people are hooked on the game like a drug (which they might be) but its because when you pay for something, it should work.

I wouldn't buy a car that has a high chance of shutting itself off for 2-hour windows randomly.

Everyone who had experience in beta testing knew what was coming. its going to get worse when the game actually releases 2/2.

Can't use 'This Is Beta!" excuse any more.

Oh and yes, you can save the, "Blah Bllaaaahhh!! if you dont like it, leave!" childish responses. I paid for the game and want to enjoy it, but at the same time I'm not a brain washed consumer with stockholm syndrome defending a broken toy. If we as consumers held companies to a higher standard, they might actually deliver.

-Z

oh well, another lost vent.

Grow up and get over it. You wouldn't buy a car that randomly shuts down after 2 hours? Guess what, no one would, but ANY car can randomly stop if overloaded or many other problems. Would you demand your money back for a new car if you couldn't cross a bridge because of construction or an accident? Of course not. You wait. Period. Not every bit of downtime is Cryptic's fault, so stop crying about it.

A while back Warhammer Online was brought down by a cut fiber and their forums loaded up with people just like you decrying Mythic's shodiness and blaming them.

Welcome to the world of MMO's, where anything can happen. As time goes on the downtime will decrease.
    edited January 2010
    Take it from an MMORPG veteran: perfect stability at launch is very, very rare.

That I've actually managed to get some 13 hours of solid play since yesterday is a pretty good accomplishment.

Hopefully the servers will be back up in minutes instead of hours, though this too would be rare for a crash of this magnitude.
    edited January 2010
    I think a lot of people here need some perspective as to what's going on with the "big picture," here. The official game release is on Feb 2nd. The head-start period is a "thanks" to the pre-order people, and I'm pretty sure no one's actually entered their CC information for a regular cycle subscription yet. Technically, you're using "free" time from your pre-order purchase for a game that hasn't been released yet.

You have to keep in mind that brand new games take time to work their quirks out, especially when it comes to server maintenance. WoW was not stable when it was first released, neither was Eve Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan or even Guild Wars. It's not like there's a website you can go to and find the definitive method of serving an MMO, it's all trade secrets for each company, so all of those entities had to reinvent their own wheels a few times to find the proper balance.

Think about that when you're comparing a brand new game like this, to a game that's been around for a few years. MMOs are risky products, especially in this economy, and just because the Star Trek franchise is huge, it doesn't mean that Paramount is going to bail Atari/Cryptic out if they can't get their product fixed (anyone remember the Matrix Online?). As it stands, ST:O is pretty strong so far, in contrast to the conditions of other yesteryear MMO releases.
This discussion has been closed.