What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Daireishi wrote:
    More like $300 with the pre-order eh?

More like $320 for me. Pre-order collector + lifetime sub.
    edited January 2010
    Tyranian wrote:
    "Noob," says Junior Member, join date Jan 2010! lol :)
    Pot, meet Kettle.
    edited January 2010
    Hani_Obaid wrote:
    I beg to differ head start is not only a launch, it's the VIP launch since we had to pay extra for the privilege. I understand the down-time, and as long as it's back in an hour, it's normal once a day or so, but what is unforgivable is that they decided not to include our bonuses in the head start. I feel completely cheated, backstabbed, maligned, betrayed, and TRIBBLE!

When you ordered your game, did it not say that the game will be released Feb. 2, 2010?

I know all 14 sites I visited looking for which pre-order item I wanted stated Feb. 2, 2010 as the Official release date.

I also know that many companies tie the Pre-Order bonus to both the Retail key and the Pre-Order key for the retailer exclusive items..

as such I knew the Pre-Order Exclusives and the package content would not be available until Feb. 2, 2010 since I bought the game knowing that was the release date.

it isn't rocket science.

Head Start is a Thank You to everyone who Pre-Ordered the game.. however the Release Date when you bought the game made clear that the Pre-Order items and package items would not be available until the Feb. 2, 2010 release date.

Sorry you are upset, but the information was there for you to read and understand.
    edited January 2010
    Reiku wrote:
    Seems like there are a lot of idiots on here then, crashes happen all the time on MMO's
    get some bricks and mortar, build a bridge and get over it
    it will be back up
    and its not even launched yet its early start so you should expect issues

Really loving it so far though, best game i played in years
    Well said, i agree.
    edited January 2010
    wildcat84 wrote: »
    Just the regular one from Gamestop.

I wanted two pre-order items, the TOS uniforms, and the TOS Constitution (non refit).

Of course, it turned out later that if I'd bought the Digital Deluxe from Gamestop I'd have gotten both for one pre-order. Oh well.

yeh i wanted the original uniforms myself but couldnt afford a digital copy atm. im hoping that they will still be offered down the road when i can and ill get a copy then
    edited January 2010
    shakey619 wrote: »
    man was in the middle of a heated battle too

I was also. Bummer eh?
    edited January 2010
    Its sad that people are so used to unfinished quality they defend it like children with a 1-armed He-Man figurine.

You people that attack those that critique the 'release' need to rethink your expectations of consumer quality. Its not because people are hooked on the game like a drug (which they might be) but its because when you pay for something, it should work.

I wouldn't buy a car that has a high chance of shutting itself off for 2-hour windows randomly.

Everyone who had experience in beta testing knew what was coming. its going to get worse when the game actually releases 2/2.

Can't use 'This Is Beta!" excuse any more.

Oh and yes, you can save the, "Blah Bllaaaahhh!! if you dont like it, leave!" childish responses. I paid for the game and want to enjoy it, but at the same time I'm not a brain washed consumer with stockholm syndrome defending a broken toy. If we as consumers held companies to a higher standard, they might actually deliver.

-Z

oh well, another lost vent.
    edited January 2010
    xdrezdenx wrote: »
    Cryptic. I am sorry there are so many crybaby *****es playing your game, who expect everything to be perfect on day one. And who have obviously never played another MMO in their lives to expect this sort of thing.

I agree...but this is DAY 2! Everything MUST be perfect! No excuses! rawr1
    edited January 2010
    1MGSIX wrote: »
    One time counts as repeatedly? The only other server downtime was the 3am to 5 am , and that wasn't a crash. I played all day yesterday and all last night till the server maintanace with no prolbems. So far this is the smoothest "launch" I have ever seen. Next is the real launch and the the Euro launch.

yeah, I had no issues at all yesterday cept for one crash I got while using Klingon ship customization. Today however, has not been so smooth.
    edited January 2010
    Aisling wrote:
    Game crashed multiple times before it finally went down for everyone. heh I just hope that my skill points and my customization of my sci officer dont get reset. >.>
    Good point. Has anyone seen a roll-back after any of these server crashes? In other MMOs I have lost accumulated experience and loot after a server crash, but my new toon doesn't have enough of either to really notice. Either that or he can't stay connected long enough to see much of an upward trend. (j/k . . . sorta)
    edited January 2010
    DeadWabbit wrote: »
    Dude what are you talking about? If Eve had an issue with you online that it was just you man. Never had a problem with EVE and even during the beta test we didnt have down times every single day mutliple times a day.

I've been in battles in EVE that brought the server down...

Happened more than once in Vale of the Silent when I was with KIA, when we were repelling the BOB "Max" campaign.

Nothing sucks more than having a server crash when you are sitting in a very expensive capital ship that if blown up is really blown up.
    edited January 2010
    I don't want to flame or anything but you REALLY need to get a clue. The people that are "whining" about the server crashing are paying customers. As for them pushing the power button and steping away from the computer I have to ask, who the hell are you to judge them exactly? While MMO's are notorious for having down times they are NOT notorious for having mutiple down times in one day EVERY day. And don't use words like moaning please if you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Thanks.

^^^^^^ QFT.
    edited January 2010
    khamseen wrote: »
    The people who are constantly whining that the server has crashed and it's preventing them playing really need to start pressing the power button once in a while and backing away from the PC.

MMO's are notorious for having server down time, we've only just entered head start yesterday, stop moaning and start being grateful for the time and work they are putting in.

first, i understand everything is subject to oddities at any given moment, but other MMOs have "scheduled" down time. rarely are there server crashes with other MMOs. i know this is a new MMO, but not new to the company as to how one should run. this fact alone shows a tad bit of bad planning or managment and it will garner bad feedback and reviews.
    scheduled down time is the norm and something all of us agree on, but unscheduled downtime, with still many bugs to be worked (one example - not getting the bridge officer awards, and not hearing anything from a GM or crptic about it, among other things) is getting old.

i also sent an email to the billling dept at cryptic studios regarding the life subs and extending the offer out one month to see if they get it working the way it should...that was over 8 days ago - 5 total working days for sure - and they have yet to reply to me. that in itself is bad PR ad not very professional of such a company.

so yeah - TRIBBLE happens and we all know it...but dont blow smoke up my TRIBBLE and try to feign innocent for the company since this is not the first MMO they have ever created.
    edited January 2010
    2 things for the Devs.

1) Get more servers because when the game goes live the population will almost double. A lot people do not like to pre-order games so next friday when they go and get the game off the shelves... the servers are going to be way more unstable. If you need to know from someone in the MMO business just go and ask NC what happened with Aion's launch and that game had most of the kinks worked out as it was out for a year in korea before release in EU and NA.

2) Can we please get a little more info when you guys post about the servers being down. We know the servers are down... thats why we are here and not in game. We know you are going to try and get em up ASAP. Can you tell us why the servers went down and perhaps what you plan to do about it moving forward.

So far the game seems pretty good and I am really liking how involved the devs seem to be in making this game a good one for a long time.
    edited January 2010
    1MGSIX wrote: »
    One time counts as repeatedly? The only other server downtime was the 3am to 5 am , and that wasn't a crash. I played all day yesterday and all last night till the server maintanace with no problems. So far this is the smoothest "launch" I have ever seen. Next is the real launch and the the Euro launch.

ya this is the 1st downtime whats everyone going crazy about, you'd think you just took their heroin away from them
    edited January 2010
    kierana wrote: »
    Erm I find it highly amusing that these threads its always the GM/Dev stating the blindingly obvious and people reply with things like thanks or cheers.

What?! :confused:

The guys at Cryptic are probably stressing out at the moment and some of us think it appropriate to insert an encouraging post.

Others, such as yourself, think it appropriate to question why we would bother with "thanks and cheers".
    One does not always need a reason to say something kind.
    edited January 2010
    People need to expect this for the next week at least, because there's more people playing in headstart than there was playing beta, and once launch day comes there will be EVEN MORE people online than in both beta and headstart.

This time next week, there will be twice, or maybe three times the current numbers, or much more than that even. So expect lots of Downtime.

Cryptic have underestimated the numbers of players for STO, in my opinion. :)
    edited January 2010
    Posting on epic thread!
    edited January 2010
    I have to agree with a few of the posters here.... Get rid of the other maintenace threads. I knew the server went down but it took a bit of time to find the right post... Not alot of time considering but it should have been easier to look at the forums see the post and move on.

And pet the hell out of your tribbles they must not be getting any love for the server to fail.... or maybe you freaks are petting them too much .......
    edited January 2010
    7o9 wrote:
    Thx for the flowers. But now i pay for it, and beta was long enough. If u want to pay for nothing i can tell u a lot of games where u can doing this.

I agree, Beta was over, this is HeadStart, the 'finished, gone-gold, product for the public'. And for THAT we pre-order peeps DID PAY FOR IT. Thats why we paid more with the Deluxe Edition, portion of the purchase price is for the access of such HeadStart/early access, much like VIP-tickets.
    edited January 2010
    shakey619 wrote: »
    man was in the middle of a heated battle too

Are there tepid battles?
    edited January 2010
    well this is as good a time for lunch as any. *nom*
    edited January 2010
    Ugh... Soon as I convince my wife to stop playing the Sims, and let me play my STO, the servers crash. I think it's all my fault. I would say that 3 out of the last 4 attempts to log into the game for me have ended before they began. It's like a cloud of server downtime is following me wherever I go. :(
    edited January 2010
    I don't want to flame or anything but you REALLY need to get a clue. The people that are "whining" about the server crashing are paying customers. As for them pushing the power button and steping away from the computer I have to ask, who the hell are you to judge them exactly? While MMO's are notorious for having down times they are NOT notorious for having mutiple down times in one day EVERY day. And don't use words like moaning please if you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Thanks.

I understand the meaning of the word moaning just fine. And comments like "I think I'm just going to cancel my order" or "your cutting into my head start time" is moaning.

I too am a paying customer, a lifetime subscriber to be exact, so don't try to imply that they can moan because they pay, when I pay too.

I happen to run a gaming community, also several game servers for different games including MMO and RP servers so I understand that these things happen and just how little motivation there is to fix these problems when all you get is complaints from people who have nothing better to do in their day.

Also, there is no need to capitalise words as I can read them just fine with the rest of your post thank you.

If you'd care to continue the conversation I'd be happy to oblige in private messaging.
    edited January 2010
    Wolfiesden wrote:
    Please. The server goes down at 12:00 PST exactly and you are going to try to tell us it's "unexpected".

Servers can crash at any time of the day (or night) including exactly 12:00 PST.
    edited January 2010
    STO servers went down at about the same time as a pretty decent sized outage in LV with Embarq / Centurylink... Methinks there was a borked router somewhere.
    edited January 2010
    Gwildfire wrote:
    Apart from the constant lagg, failures on headstart launch day, and crashes expected in a Alpha release!

Good job you dont make cars or software for airplanes

Well not entire cars, but I do think they make accelerator peddles for one car company or another. :D
    edited January 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    Mhm.. you sure about that? I was under the impression subscriptions don't pick up until the 2nd, and that Headstart was bonus time given to those who pre-ordered.

Not that it matters to me either way, being a lifer.

When we pre-purchased the software package, we received admission to the head-start to get in before the crowds...this is not subscription time, it is a bonus for purchasing the packaging before it was made...

So yeah...we are now paying to play... we paid for that package....

and I'm a lifer too... and not too upset about the outage... But the argument should be an intellectually honest one...
    edited January 2010
    In the meantime people look at my thread here and let me know what ya think =)

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1781591#post1781591
    edited January 2010
    Dude what are you talking about? If Eve had an issue with you online that it was just you man. Never had a problem with EVE and even during the beta test we didnt have down times every single day mutliple times a day.

This is Star Trek. Much more server volume.
This discussion has been closed.