test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    You really should be in a system running DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. We can help you pick parts. I would whether put my money towards a new system then put more money in a end of life system.

I assume your system is a custom one. You can re-use most of your parts. Case, SATA HDD, DVD. Maybe PSU. Which means you only need a new MB, CPU and RAM. Your under $250 easy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131618
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

I'm sure White Knight could do better, but here's a decent setup for 245.98 before the $10 mail in rebate.
    edited January 2010
    ok, I did a little shopping:

Intel E5300 soc 775 @ 2600 x2
    Asus P5KPL-AM
    2048 ddr2 800 Kingston
    plus the old 8600gt by Palit

it was a 100£ upgrade, and I'm wondering if now it'll alow me to play STO without major lag?

You should be able to play low/med settings. the GPU is a bit dated but will work.

I would have gone with the AMD AM2+ socket with an Athlon X2 or AMD Athlon II X2 CPU because you can always upgrade to the Phenom II processors later which completes with the i5s and save cash. We don't know how much longer Intel will be making socket 775 CPU. They are nearing end of life. Where Phenom II are still very new.

Graphic Gaming cards:
    Entry level:
    ATI HD 4650 and 4670 cards only needs a 400 W PSU.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 240 needs a 350 W PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT needs a 400 W PSU.
    All four of these cards usually do not need a 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level med. Price ranges on these cards are under $100.00. The ATI's usually a better choice here on a price/performance.

Mid Level:
    ATI HD 4850,4890, 5750, 5770 and the Nvidia 9800 GT, 9800 GTX, GTS 250 needs a 450 to 500 W PSU with one 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level High. Price Range: $100-230.00.

High End:
    ATI HD 5850, 5870, 5970. Nvidia GTX 260, 275, 295 needs a 550 to 750 W PSU with two 6 pin or 1 6pin and 1 8 pin PCIE cables. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level Very High. Price Range: $250.00-600.00.
    edited January 2010
    i was wondering if a computer with 8gb of ram a amd quad core processor of 700gb of memory and a ati hd radeon 4200 graphics card would be good for the game i just got the computer before xmas and i really want to play lol i have another computer with patrs i can use to possibly upgrade if i need to but i really dotn want to do that

oh and also i forgot to say it has windows 7
    edited January 2010
    deathbymc wrote: »
    i was wondering if a computer with 8gb of ram a amd quad core processor of 700gb of memory and a ati hd radeon 4200 graphics card would be good for the game i just got the computer before xmas and i really want to play lol i have another computer with patrs i can use to possibly upgrade if i need to but i really dotn want to do that

I think you mean 700GB Hard drive.
    I will play STO but at low settings. The ati hd radeon 4200 is what is hurting you. I this a laptop or Desktop? A Desktop GPU can be replace. A laptop can not.

Go here and run the STO test.
    http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    edited January 2010
    this is a desktop and i have a better grapihcs card in a older gaming computer i got lol i just have to change them out just have to get my cosin who builds coputers to do it for me
    edited January 2010
    i dont know the specs of the other computers graphic card but what do u suggest for a budget around $100-150 if its not good enough i might just wait till after the game comes out to get the card
    edited January 2010
    deathbymc wrote: »
    i dont know the specs of the other computers graphic card but what do u suggest for a budget around $100-150 if its not good enough i might just wait till after the game comes out to get the card

Here's a list of GPU. You need to make sure the PSU can support which card you get.

Graphic Gaming cards:
    Entry level:
    ATI HD 4650 and 4670 cards only needs a 400 W PSU.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 240 needs a 350 W PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT needs a 400 W PSU.
    All four of these cards usually do not need a 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level med. Price ranges on these cards are under $100.00. The ATI's usually a better choice here on a price/performance.

Mid Level:
    ATI HD 4850,4890, 5750, 5770 and the Nvidia 9800 GT, 9800 GTX, GTS 250 needs a 450 to 500 W PSU with one 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.

High End:
    ATI HD 5850, 5870, 5970. Nvidia GTX 260, 275, 295 needs a 550 to 750 W PSU with two 6 pin or 1 6pin and 1 8 pin PCIE cables. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level Very High. Price Range: $220.00-700.00.
    edited January 2010
    You should be able to play low/med settings. the GPU is a bit dated but will work.

I would have gone with the AMD AM2+ socket with an Athlon X2 or AMD Athlon II X2 CPU because you can always upgrade to the Phenom II processors later which completes with the i5s and save cash. We don't know how much longer Intel will be making socket 775 CPU. They are nearing end of life. Where Phenom II are still very new.

the price was quite ok on the e5300, and I've never replaced just the cpu in my pc; it was allways a cpu/mb combo.

So, if I'd change the gpu to a GTS250 from nvidia I could theoretically run sto in High settings (1280x1024) ?
    edited January 2010
    Unfortunately that site gives a lot of false positives. It's only as good has the person inputting the data.

This site is better.

http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true

sweet man thx
    edited January 2010
    due to one thing and another funds are coming in low for getting a graphics, seen the ati HD-575X at a good price. from my understanding i should get a mid range setting from the game?
    edited January 2010
    the price was quite ok on the e5300, and I've never replaced just the cpu in my pc; it was allways a cpu/mb combo.

So, if I'd change the gpu to a GTS250 from nvidia I could theoretically run sto in High settings (1280x1024) ?

With a 250, yes! :) It's a great performer for low to mid-range resolutions.
    gibb0 wrote: »
    due to one thing and another funds are coming in low for getting a graphics, seen the ati HD-575X at a good price. from my understanding i should get a mid range setting from the game?

At reasonable resolutions you should get solid performance and be able to run at high settings with a 5750.
    edited January 2010
    or should i just think long term and chuck the cash for in for 250? mybday this week so just contemplating presents
    edited January 2010
    or should i just think long term and chuck the cash for in for 250? mybday this week so just contemplating presents

The 5750 is still a good card. If you want the 250, that's a great card too. The ATI equivalent to the NVIDIA 250 would be a 5770. There's still differences that make comparing ATI and NVIDIA difficult, but these two are close. The advantage of ATI's 5000 series cards is that it has DX11 support for future games.
    edited January 2010
    aye but if memory serves xp wont be getting that? just found the 250 for roughly same prices so will order now :D
    edited January 2010
    aye but if memory serves xp wont be getting that? just found the 250 for roughly same prices so will order now :D

Cool! Indeed, the GTS 250 is a solid card. :) It's pretty much a repackaged 9800 GTX+, so you know it's a good card. ;)
    edited January 2010
    Let me see, what kinda stuff I got...

Nvidia 8800 GT.... Check
    Q6600 Quad Core CPU @ 2.4Ghz Each... Check
    4GB RAM... Check...
    64 bit Windows Ugly OS... Check
    Klingon Disruptor Pistol... Check

Good to go!
    edited January 2010
    First of all guys I want to tell everyone that this forum is a great read and i do appreciate everyones knowledge on the systems specs but let me tell everyone one thing dont listen to guys that tell you your system specs are not good enough especially if you have single core p4. They can estimate all they want but until it is tested they dont know for sure if you can run this game or not on your system specs. I created a forum post about single core p4s and this one guy posted this on the post.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 AM #13
    Vorcain

yes you will run STO fine.......

My system specs are

3.2 pentium 4 hyperthread
    9600 nvida gt
    windows 32bit xp
    4gigs of DDR2 ram 3.2 pentium 4 hyperthread
    4gigs of ram but pc reconizes 3 gigs cause its a 32 bit operating system of course

ive seen the game run on a 1.81 sempron cpu with 7300 xfx diablo 512 video card...

yes you will have to turn the grafix down a bit but runs just fine! even in big battles! and still looks nice...

From the way it looks is if you have a 2.8 p4 processor you should be able to play this game on med setting and if your rig is maxed at then you may be able to go quality. This guy has actually seen it tested out in beta everyone estimating saying that you need to buy a new system is not necessary and I would venture its not a good time to upgrade right now with 6 core processors about to come out and a rumor of a new DDR too. So dont go out there wasting your money till you know for sure.
    edited January 2010
    Torue wrote:
    First of all guys I want to tell everyone that this forum is a great read and i do appreciate everyones knowledge on the systems specs but let me tell everyone one thing dont listen to guys that tell you your system specs are not good enough especially if you have single core p4. They can estimate all they want but until it is tested they dont know for sure if you can run this game or not on your system specs. I created a forum post about single core p4s and this one guy posted this on the post.

You failed on usage of quote tags. :rolleyes:
    Torue wrote:
    From the way it looks is if you have a 2.8 p4 processor you should be able to play this game on med setting and if your rig is maxed at then you may be able to go quality. This guy has actually seen it tested out in beta everyone estimating saying that you need to buy a new system is not necessary and I would venture its not a good time to upgrade right now with 6 core processors about to come out and a rumor of a new DDR too. So dont go out there wasting your money till you know for sure.
    Torue wrote:
    Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 AM #13
    Vorcain

ive seen the game run on a 1.81 sempron cpu with 7300 xfx diablo 512 video card...

I actually know this situation much better than you do since Vox Vorcain is part of my fleet and a close friend. I have talked with him personally about this and his PC. To help the community, I'll share a little here. During his testing, his CPU was at 100% the whole time he played. And that was at idle. Imagine when you get in a graphically-demanding area (ie: not just idling in space), and your 100% CPU usage will be a huge issue. Welcome to lag central. And if you want to run Ventrilo or Teamspeak for voice-over-IP in your fleet while running the STO client? Forget it. You'll need better than a P4 for running STO as the system requirements state.

On top of that, upgrading from an Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Sempron is not "wasting your money". Those two CPUs are very old and outdated for pretty much any game coming out this year. You can rationalize all you want, but don't blame us when your old PC chokes on STO. White Knight, myself, and others are here helping the community with advice on system components that will run STO smoothly. Sure, you can probably run STO on a Netbook, but will it play smoothly or be enjoyable? Probably not. And an Intel Atom processor is comparable to both a Celeron and the earlier Pentium 4 cores (ie: Willamette and Northwood).

While some of the later Pentium 4 CPUs (ie: Prescott, Cedar Mill, etc.) might run STO on lower to medium settings, but they're still going to be maxed out. That means your CPU will always be working near peak while you play STO, or just about any new game for that matter. Your performance will suffer at some point in that equation.

The system requirement guidelines and our suggestions exist for a reason. Don't come complaining to us here when you have a poor gameplay experience if you didn't want to believe or follow them.
    edited January 2010
    cipher_nemo, I love it when you put them in their place.:) This is why we make a good team. I know how to made things work but you understand why they works.;)
    edited January 2010
    I need to upgrade in order to play STO at any level of graphics (I currently have a five year old laptop) and I'm pretty sur this rig will do it justice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229134

The only problem is, I can't figure out if it has built in wireless connectivity. Before you look at me like I'm stupid for asking about a desktop and wireless connectivity, I don't have cable in my bedroom and the whole house is a hotspot so it would be a ton simpler if it had wireless internet capability.

Can anyone help me out here?
    edited January 2010
    caseman417 wrote: »
    I need to upgrade in order to play STO at any level of graphics (I currently have a five year old laptop) and I'm pretty sur this rig will do it justice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229134

The only problem is, I can't figure out if it has built in wireless connectivity. Before you look at me like I'm stupid for asking about a desktop and wireless connectivity, I don't have cable in my bedroom and the whole house is a hotspot so it would be a ton simpler if it had wireless internet capability.

Can anyone help me out here?

It's doesn't have Wifi. The 9800 GT should let you play STO med/high at lower in game resolution. The good thing about this system is it's using over the counter parts. You will be able to upgrade it as you need for next 3-5 years.
    edited January 2010
    Arg! I don't really keep up with pc gaming. I was looking into STO, but I don't have the min. system req's apparently.

Does anyone know if it would still work if my pc meets all min. requirements except for the video card?

My laptop has a Nvidia 7700 geforce go card.

I bought the laptop like 3 years ago and havn't played anything since Fallout 3. Its an
    Asus G1,
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz T7200 667MHz FSB 4MB L2 Cache
    15.4" "Glare Type" WSXGA+ w/ Asus Splendid Video Technology
    2GB DDR2 667 Dual Channel (2 Dimms)
    160GB 5400RPM SATA
    8x DVD Super Multi w/ Lightscribe
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7700 512MB

Any insight as to whether anyone thinks this could work or not is helpful. Thanks.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the info, if I were to go completely insane and want to add wifi capability to the thing....what would I do?
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the info, if I were to go completely insane and want to add wifi capability to the thing....what would I do?
    First you'll need to know what kind you Wireless router you have B, G, N. It's will most likely be a G router but if it's a N the better. Then buy wireless card. I prefer Linksys, Netgear, or D-link . Your system has both PCI and PCIE slots available so you have plenty of room. Follow the installation instruction provide by the card manufacture. You should already know how to login to your network. 1 thing though when the card software gives you a choice of using it's software to manage the network or MS's Wireless Zero Configuration choose MS. On Windows 7 it does a really good job.

EDIT: I forgot that a lot of manufactures are working on Windows 7 drivers. If they don't have Windows 7 drivers yet most likely MS has created drivers for them. Check this site and do a search for the hardware you are planing to add. They OS will already have the drivers or download them though Windows Update. The problem here is since will are talking about a Wifi card you may need to plus it to the router to get the update. MS has a lot of Netgear drivers in it's OS all ready. I am using Netgear so I know this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx
    edited January 2010
    up1dstay wrote: »
    Arg! I don't really keep up with pc gaming. I was looking into STO, but I don't have the min. system req's apparently.

Does anyone know if it would still work if my pc meets all min. requirements except for the video card?

My laptop has a Nvidia 7700 geforce go card.

I bought the laptop like 3 years ago and havn't played anything since Fallout 3. Its an
    Asus G1,
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz T7200 667MHz FSB 4MB L2 Cache
    15.4" "Glare Type" WSXGA+ w/ Asus Splendid Video Technology
    2GB DDR2 667 Dual Channel (2 Dimms)
    160GB 5400RPM SATA
    8x DVD Super Multi w/ Lightscribe
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7700 512MB

Any insight as to whether anyone thinks this could work or not is helpful. Thanks.

The 7700 is OK you should be able to play at low setting. The minimum graphic specs for this game is a listed higher then it really is.
    edited January 2010
    cipher_nemo, I love it when you put them in their place.:) This is why we make a good team. I know how to made things work but you understand why they works.;)

;) Coolness. You've helped a lot of people in this thread so far and I wouldn't have some random new person try to come in here and say otherwise. :)
    edited January 2010
    thanks very much for the info...I saw another system on Newegg ( I know, I'm a menace) and it says it has an integrated LAN chipset with speed capabilities of 10/100/1000 Mbps. Does this one have wireless or should I just buy a freking 25$ wireless card and stop bothering you? Thanks again...

oh and here's the link to the system...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227179
    edited January 2010
    Graphic Gaming cards:

Mid Level:

I know I have a 600W PSU, but how do I know if I have "one 6 pin PCIE cable"? Is that like a power cable that connects the graphics card directly to the PSU?

I'm using a 8600GT now, so I don't see a cable running from the card to the PSU.
    edited January 2010
    thanks very much for the info...I saw another system on Newegg ( I know, I'm a menace) and it says it has an integrated LAN chipset with speed capabilities of 10/100/1000 Mbps. Does this one have wireless or should I just buy a freking 25$ wireless card and stop bothering you? Thanks again...

oh and here's the link to the system...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227179

The 10/100/1000 Mbps are wired speeds. You could easily throw in a $20+ wireless adapter on those PCs.
This discussion has been closed.