• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    It should run med to high settings.

;) thanks for that
    edited January 2010
    So my laptop should be here by the 15th of January:

M17X
    Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (NB10E-GT1)
    4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz 2 x 2048MB

Now if I can find time to play...
    edited January 2010
    Hello,

MY computer is good on all specs but the Vid card, it has a GEforce 6150SE integrated. I dont know if this will even play it at its lowest setting... The last video card I bought was one of the first GEforce cards back in 1999 or 2000 so I am really confused with the number identifications now.

I am looking at a Diamond Viper ATI Radeon HD 3450 Graphics adapter Radeon HD 3450 for about $40.00. I think that one is about mid range of required and recomended. Also I only have a 250W power supply so I dont know if I will need to upgrade it with this card. Some cards I have looked at gave a requirement for powersupply this one did not on the retailers web site.

Anyways does this seem to be a decent card to play this game with?

Thanks!!!
    edited January 2010
    temabes wrote: »
    Hello,

MY computer is good on all specs but the Vid card, it has a GEforce 6150SE integrated. I dont know if this will even play it at its lowest setting... The last video card I bought was one of the first GEforce cards back in 1999 or 2000 so I am really confused with the number identifications now.

I am looking at a Diamond Viper ATI Radeon HD 3450 Graphics adapter Radeon HD 3450 for about $40.00. I think that one is about mid range of required and recomended. Also I only have a 250W power supply so I dont know if I will need to upgrade it with this card. Some cards I have looked at gave a requirement for powersupply this one did not on the retailers web site.

Anyways does this seem to be a decent card to play this game with?

Thanks!!!

First, your PSU is to low, the Diamond Viper ATI Radeon HD 3450 needs a 450W PSU. There are no GPU that can run STO and use that PSU!!! You will needs to replace it. If you are using a Dell or a slim line design PC that may be difficult to do. 250W PSU are so small that they are usually put into small form cases.

Second, the ATI Radeon HD 3450 is not a gaming card. If STO could play on it that card it will be at the lowest settings.

Third, if you PC only has a 250W PSU are you should the CPU meets minimum system requirements
    http://www.startrekonline.com/faq#19

# CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    # Memory: 1GB RAM
    # Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    # Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    # DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
    # HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
    # Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
    # Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Here's a list of GPU I recommended. They need a PCIE x16 slot not AGP. I am assuming you have PCIE x16 slot.

Graphic Gaming cards:
    Entry level:
    ATI HD 4650 and 4670 cards only needs a 400 W PSU.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 240 needs a 350 W PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT needs a 400 W PSU.
    All four of these cards usually do not need a 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level med. Price ranges on these cards are under $100.00. The ATI's usually a better choice here on a price/performance.

Mid Level:
    ATI HD 4850,4890, 5750, 5770 and the Nvidia 9800 GT, 9800 GTX, GTS 250 needs a 450 to 500 W PSU with one 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level High. Price Range: $100-230.00.

High End:
    ATI HD 5850, 5870, 5970. Nvidia GTX 260, 275, 295 needs a 550 to 750 W PSU with two 6 pin or 1 6pin and 1 8 pin PCIE cables. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level Very High. Price Range: $250.00-600.00.
    edited January 2010
    so my duel cpu 2.4 wont handle it because its not duel core?
    edited January 2010
    I am not surprised. Both Systemsrequirements and Game-o-Meter say my system can't run STO. Everything checks out except for my cpu, neither can recognize it.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 (3.0Ghz dual-core non-oc'd)
    RAM: 4GB installed in dual-channel mode (non-oc'd)
    Video Card: GeForce 9800GT 512MB (non-oc'd)

On both sites, the cpu is listed as an unknown model and causes the test to fail; but evertything else is listed as meeting or beating the recommended requirements.
    edited January 2010
    alcadar wrote: »
    so my duel cpu 2.4 wont handle it because its not duel core?

Yes, must be Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ or better. Thu there might be a little wiggle run on the clock speed but it needs to be these class CPUs.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,700972/Star-Trek-Online-Hands-on-benchmarks-technology-preview-and-new-screenshots/Practice/
    edited January 2010
    cabal1202 wrote: »
    I am not surprised. Both Systemsrequirements and Game-o-Meter say my system can't run STO. Everything checks out except for my cpu, neither can recognize it.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 (3.0Ghz dual-core non-oc'd)
    RAM: 4GB installed in dual-channel mode (non-oc'd)
    Video Card: GeForce 9800GT 512MB (non-oc'd)

On both sites, the cpu is listed as an unknown model and causes the test to fail; but evertything else is listed as meeting or beating the recommended requirements.

Make sure your drivers are all up to date. You should be able to run STO on med/high. Go to Nvidia' sites and update your graphic card and run windows update. Check for a new chipset for your motherboard.

I get unknown CPU from Game-o-Meter but that's because I unlock the 4th core on my CPU. It doesn't know what a AMD Phenom II X4 10 Processor 2.60 GHz is. These programs are only as good as the programmer.

EDIT: Also check for a BIOS update.
    edited January 2010
    guess i wont be playing
    edited January 2010
    alcadar wrote: »
    guess i wont be playing

Check out Cyberpower. The Mega Sale 1 upgrade the GPU to GTS 250 1GB for a net of $625.00. Play STO on High. Can always upgrade cpu and gpu later.
    edited January 2010
    First, your PSU is to low, the Diamond Viper ATI Radeon HD 3450 needs a 450W PSU. There are no GPU that can run STO and use that PSU!!! You will needs to replace it. If you are using a Dell or a slim line design PC that may be difficult to do. 250W PSU are so small that they are usually put into small form cases.

Second, the ATI Radeon HD 3450 is not a gaming card. If STO could play on it that card it will be at the lowest settings.

Third, if you PC only has a 250W PSU are you should the CPU meets minimum system requirements

White Knight,

Thanks for the very informative reply!!

I'm pretty sure all the other requirements are met but computers have changed alot since I activly followed the updates and upgrades.. I have an emachines (dont laugh :) ) ET1331g-03w it has AMD athlon II X2 235 dual core processer, Each one is 2.7 Ghz. 6GB DDR2 Ram.

From what I have researched the Emachines are a Gateway/ACER computer, so the dell part should not be an issue. As to it being a slimline I measured the outside of the case and it is about 7" wide 14" tall and 16" deep. I dont know what form factor that would be but I will research it and make sure I can get a PS to fit the case and match the Vid card I get.. It does have a PCI express 2.0 x16 slot so I will look for one of those video cards.

Once again thanks for all the info and please let me know if it doesnt look like I am meeting the other requirements.

T.
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure all the other requirements are met but computers have changed alot since I activly followed the updates and upgrades.. I have an emachines (dont laugh) ET1331g-03w it has AMD athlon II X2 235 dual core processer, Each one is 2.7 Ghz. 6GB DDR2 Ram.

Yup, memory and CPU will obviously be fine. But you can't stop us from laughing about you buying an eMachines. ;) ..

LOL!!! :eek: :D:D LOL
    edited January 2010
    White Knight,

Thanks for the very informative reply!!

I'm pretty sure all the other requirements are met but computers have changed alot since I activly followed the updates and upgrades.. I have an emachines (dont laugh :) ) ET1331g-03w it has AMD athlon II X2 235 dual core processer, Each one is 2.7 Ghz. 6GB DDR2 Ram.

From what I have researched the Emachines are a Gateway/ACER computer, so the dell part should not be an issue. As to it being a slimline I measured the outside of the case and it is about 7" wide 14" tall and 16" deep. I dont know what form factor that would be but I will research it and make sure I can get a PS to fit the case and match the Vid card I get.. It does have a PCI express 2.0 x16 slot so I will look for one of those video cards.

Once again thanks for all the info and please let me know if it doesnt look like I am meeting the other requirements.

T.

Your CPU is OK. Since you list the model I was able to Google it. The case is a standard Mid-tower. You should have no problem replacing the PSU. Try to get one that is "80 plus" certify. The are better made.

It should have a PCIE x16 2.0 slot. So just pick your card and PSU.
    edited January 2010
    Yup, memory and CPU will obviously be fine. But you can't stop us from laughing about you buying an eMachines. ;) ..

LOL!!! :eek: :D:D LOL

LOL, LOL I laugh twice so far.
    edited January 2010
    I just finish DL Dr Who. I will be unavailable to the next hour. ;)
    edited January 2010
    Well ya gotta love walmart... I actually went to a bunch of local stores, Best buy, Office depot and what not and it was the most bang for the buck at that price point. I've been using Laptops for the last 7 years or so. The last time I built a computer the speeds were like 233 Mhz :) and AGP was the best for vid cards. So the Emachines was an easy option... well it was the fastest inexspensive option lol.

Thanks for the help!!! hope to see yall online soon!!

T
    edited January 2010
    Well ya gotta love walmart... I actually went to a bunch of local stores, Best buy, Office depot and what not and it was the most bang for the buck at that price point. I've been using Laptops for the last 7 years or so. The last time I built a computer the speeds were like 233 Mhz :) and AGP was the best for vid cards. So the Emachines was an easy option... well it was the fastest inexspensive option lol.

Thanks for the help!!! hope to see yall online soon!!

T

You do get what you pay for, so I hope that eMachines PC won't die on you in the near future. But yes, some things at retail stores such as Best Buy can be overpriced. Sometimes they'll have something at a reasonable price, but it's rare. Yet there's a reason gaming desktops and laptops are more expensive: better quality hardware (along with the premium you pay).
    edited January 2010
    Okay so just for the record a GeForce G210 will not be able to even play ST Online?

I am looking to purchase a new computer for general everyday use since I take online classes and run an online business. I don't play any video games other than Starcraft Broodwar so I was looking at the low end of the spectrum and found a nice cheap comp with a AMD Athlon(TM) LE1660 [2.8GHz, 512MB L2, up to 2000MT/s bus] processor and the GeForce G210 graphics card? I thought I might eventually pick up Star Trek Online but it seems like with this I wouldn't even be able to make it on board the Enterprise.

Why make a game that can only be played with graphics cards that cost $125+? Why limit the market to only top end gamers?
    edited January 2010
    Xander756 wrote: »
    Okay so just for the record a GeForce G210 will not be able to even play ST Online?

I am looking to purchase a new computer for general everyday use since I take online classes and run an online business. I don't play any video games other than Starcraft Broodwar so I was looking at the low end of the spectrum and found a nice cheap comp with a AMD Athlon(TM) LE1660 [2.8GHz, 512MB L2, up to 2000MT/s bus] processor and the GeForce G210 graphics card? I thought I might eventually pick up Star Trek Online but it seems like with this I wouldn't even be able to make it on board the Enterprise.

Why make a game that can only be played with graphics cards that cost $125+? Why limit the market to only top end gamers?

Welcome to the world of computer gaming. You're interested in getting the leading/bleeding edge of MMOs, even though STO isn't the bleeding edge of anything for requirements. Other new games out there right now require even more and run DX10 or DX11.

As stated many times before on this thread, a G210 will probably run STO but at lower graphic settings. The 210 isn't intended to be a gaming card, but your $125+ mark is way off. The 210 you have is a POS when it comes to gaming (very cheap$) , and you can buy a good gaming card for $60 and up. Also, "top-end" gaming cards are more like $400 to $700, so $125 isn't "top-end". :p So did you come here to ask for advice or just complain about STO's requirements?
    edited January 2010
    Welcome to the world of computer gaming. You're interested in getting the leading/bleeding edge of MMOs, even though STO isn't the bleeding edge of anything for requirements. Other new games out there right now require even more and run DX10 or DX11.

As stated many times before on this thread, a G210 will probably run STO but at lower graphic settings. The 210 isn't intended to be a gaming card, but your $125+ mark is way off. The 210 you have is a POS when it comes to gaming (very cheap$) , and you can buy a good gaming card for $60 and up. Also, "top-end" gaming cards are more like $400 to $700, so $125 isn't "top-end". :p So did you come here to ask for advice or just complain about STO's requirements?

I figured it took a $125+ card as the MINIMUM required to play it. Like I said, I don't play PC games. I think they are a waste of money because you constantly need to be upgrading your stuff just to play them. I was simply curious if by some grace of good luck that I would even be able to run STO at all with the computer I created for basic computing.

And to answer your question...both. This game has already been through some rough times and I thought it may end up never coming out so I'm just baffled at why they would limit their audience so drastically. Is it just coincidence that WoW can run on most computers and also happens to be insanely popular? Whatever happened to the console version of STO anyway?
    edited January 2010
    As the release date is closing by I need to upgrade my old home pc to play sto, I've checked Champions Online (wich is said to be on the same engine) and the results were less than satisfactory

here's my current rig:
    AMD64 3000+ s939
    Msi K8N SLI Platinium
    Pallit GF8600gt 256mb (1800mhz)
    2x512mb ddr1 @ 400mhz

the question is - do I need to change the entire pc, or do I simply change the cpu / cpu-motherboard / cpu-motherboard-ram / cpu-motherboard-ram-graphics ?
    edited January 2010
    So in they're "recommended" settings, is that to run the game on maxxed out graphics settings? I surpass everything they show in recommended but for the Nvidia 8800, mine is 8600. I'm considering buying a better vid card soon, maybe tax time, thinking 9800 GT 1GB would be good and affordable.
    edited January 2010
    I have the following specs on my laptop:

Processor: Intel Core 2 T5300 @ 1.73 GHz
    2 G RAM
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon x1400

Will I be able to play this game?
    edited January 2010
    I figured it took a $125+ card as the MINIMUM required to play it.

Yeah, sorry, that is wrong.

For NVIDIA, a 9600 GSO is the low-end gem for running STO at $70: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130509

For ATI/AMD, a 4670 is the low-end gem for running STO at $70: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150450

And this goes down to $60-65 for a model below it to run at moderate resolutions with moderate settings.
    Like I said, I don't play PC games. I think they are a waste of money because you constantly need to be upgrading your stuff just to play them.

Then why are you here? Why are you trying to play STO which requires a PC? :rolleyes:
    Whatever happened to the console version of STO anyway?

Internal. Cryptic got it working on an XBox 360 just fine. But they're not yet officially releasing a console version. Much red tape there. So that's a big "yet".
    edited January 2010
    As the release date is closing by I need to upgrade my old home pc to play sto, I've checked Champions Online (wich is said to be on the same engine) and the results were less than satisfactory

here's my current rig:
    AMD64 3000+ s939
    Msi K8N SLI Platinium
    2x512mb ddr1 @ 400mhz

the question is - do I need to change the entire pc, or do I simply change the cpu / cpu-motherboard / cpu-motherboard-ram / cpu-motherboard-ram-graphics ?

8600 GT video card will work. The memory is a little low, especially being outdated at regular DDR. The CPU is really under spec, but I don't see a big issue with it. You should be able to play STO, but at lower settings. It might lag at points due to the performance limits of that older motherboard, CPU, and memory. It should still play STO, so if you want to upgrade it, I'd give it 2GB of memory (1GB x 2) DDR-400 kit.

Otherwise, if you want a smoother experience with lag-free play at moderate and higher settings, I'd upgrade.
    edited January 2010
    ZippyZ wrote:
    So in they're "recommended" settings, is that to run the game on maxxed out graphics settings? I surpass everything they show in recommended but for the Nvidia 8800, mine is 8600. I'm considering buying a better vid card soon, maybe tax time, thinking 9800 GT 1GB would be good and affordable.

A 9800 GT is a decent upgrade, but not huge over the 8600 GT. I'd go for a GTS 250 for a significant upgrade, or GTX 260 or 275 if you want a very solid upgrade without breaking the bank. The 250 should do just fine with a regular or semi-high gaming resolution.
    I have the following specs on my laptop:

Processor: Intel Core 2 T5300 @ 1.73 GHz
    2 G RAM
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon x1400

Will I be able to play this game?

The CPU and memory are fine, even if on the low-end. But that video card will be a stumbling block. You'll probably be able to play STO, but it won't be enjoyable due to the lag and poor performance. If you really want to play newer games like STO, I'd recommend a gaming laptop. No need to waste $3k on one of the high-end ones, but $1k to 1.5k should get you a solid gaming laptop that will last for a while.
    edited January 2010

here's my current rig:
    AMD64 3000+ s939
    Msi K8N SLI Platinium
    2x512mb ddr1 @ 400mhz

Unfortunately, that CPU is a singe core. This game require a AMD Athlon X2 (dual core) 3800+. I have a 939 4600+ I could sell you. PM me if you wish. And I have Consair XMS DDR 400 2gb kits too.

Honestly it's time for a new system. The 939 socket is now hitting the minimum specs for a lot of new games. Especially with DDR RAM which is really slowing you down.

I just recently replace my ABIT A8NSLI32-Deluxe with a 4600+. These games had really been pushing me around.

You really should be in a system running DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. We can help you pick parts. I would whether put my money towards a new system then put more money in a end of life system.

I assume your system is a custom one. You can re-use most of your parts. Case, SATA HDD, DVD. Maybe PSU. Which means you only need a new MB, CPU and RAM. Your under $250 easy.
    edited January 2010
    if you dont no try this place...works great http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/
    edited January 2010
    jaydub6666 wrote:
    if you dont no try this place...works great http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Unfortunately that site gives a lot of false positives. It's only as good has the person inputting the data.

This site is better.

http://www.yougamers.com/?mainnavi=true
    edited January 2010
    Unfortunately, that CPU is a singe core. This game require a AMD Athlon X2 (dual core) 3800+. I have a 939 4600+ I could sell you. PM me if you wish. And I have Consair XMS DDR 400 2gb kits too.

Honestly it's time for a new system. The 939 socket is now hitting the minimum specs for a lot of new games. Especially with DDR RAM which is really slowing you down.

I just recently replace my ABIT A8NSLI32-Deluxe with a 4600+. These games had really been pushing me around.

You really should be in a system running DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. We can help you pick parts. I would whether put my money towards a new system then put more money in a end of life system.

I assume your system is a custom one. You can re-use most of your parts. Case, SATA HDD, DVD. Maybe PSU. Which means you only need a new MB, CPU and RAM. Your under $250 easy.

ok, I did a little shopping:

Intel E5300 soc 775 @ 2600 x2
    Asus P5KPL-AM
    2048 ddr2 800 Kingston
    plus the old 8600gt by Palit

it was a 100£ upgrade, and I'm wondering if now it'll alow me to play STO without major lag?
This discussion has been closed.