test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Why don't you just install a new HDD as our OS drive, then transfer your data from your old hard drive later. Don't make this harder then it needs too.

You need the floppy drive! XP does not support USB installs. Only Windows 7 does. Remove a floppy drive from one of the older PC temporary. After the install you can put it back.

Or we can use a program call nLite . It we allow us to make a slipstream disk.

Make sure you reading the Manuel and those links.

Only let cipher_nemo or myself advise you on this install. Too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the soup. He's the only other person on this forum I know has has done this. I have learn to trust him.

aye you two are the only ones im really listening to as you two deffinatly sound like you know what your doing. ive done full reboots of windows xp befor never remember needing the floppy for it even swapped out to a new sata hard drive and had to reinstall it but it didnt need it did media center edition inclued ethe drivers by any chance? if not thats fine trying to get ahold of a friend to see if he has an external dirve i can barrow and already pulled a floppy drive from an old dead pentium 1 comp that i can install. ill take your advice and just install it onto one hdd and leave the other one out for now that way i know im safe and itll be easyer let me know about the media center edition cause like i said i didnt need to when my origional crapped out dell just sent me a drive and told me to install windows which it did
    edited December 2009
    swarsmike wrote: »
    aye you two are the only ones im really listening to as you two deffinatly sound like you know what your doing. ive done full reboots of windows xp befor never remember needing the floppy for it even swapped out to a new sata hard drive and had to reinstall it but it didnt need it did media center edition inclued ethe drivers by any chance? if not thats fine trying to get ahold of a friend to see if he has an external dirve i can barrow and already pulled a floppy drive from an old dead pentium 1 comp that i can install. ill take your advice and just install it onto one hdd and leave the other one out for now that way i know im safe and itll be easyer let me know about the media center edition cause like i said i didnt need to when my origional crapped out dell just sent me a drive and told me to install windows which it did

I was editing the post you just post too. Re-read it.

I have never install Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 since it is a OEM only software. Is it a real XP disk or a special recovery disk design for your old PC? As far as I know even Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 does not support SATA drives without the drivers.
    edited December 2009
    I was editing the post you just post too. Re-read it.

I have never install Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 since it is a OEM only software. Is it a real XP disk or a special recovery disk design for your old PC?

it was a recovery design disc that came with the old one
    edited December 2009
    it was a recovery design disc that came with the old one
    You can't use it. It will only work with that machine. You are going to need a OS disk. The OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 is a lot cheaper the the retail version. You could get XP from Craigslist.
    edited December 2009
    You can't use it. It will only work with that machine. You are going to need a OS disk. The OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 is a lot cheaper the the retail version. You could get XP from Craigslist.

ok quick question to save me a little time could i use someone elses whindows disc to install it if its the full blown version of it?
    edited December 2009
    ok quick question to save me a little time could i use someone elses whindows disc to install it if its the full blown version of it?
    No and Yes. The activation code is tide to motherboard. If that disk gets re-install a lot that may cause a problems. At activation you may be prompt to call MS and explain. You could make a "recovery image disk" of the finish installation that his been activated. then that way you won't get prompt to call MS. But that is illegal so I can't advise you to do that.

You should always make a recovery disk anyway. It will make live easier.
    http://revision3.com/systm/backups
    edited December 2009

The disk doesn't matter, what does matter is your code. But it has to be the same version (Vista home, Ultimate, XP Pro or home etc.)

I have done this many times for friends that get a built PC and get the crappy bloated OS from vendors .

I just take my clean M$ OS disk and use their OS key when doing the re-install.

Just remember to copy all your personal data since it will be gone on re install since reformat is the best option to clean everything up.
    edited December 2009
    No and Yes. The activation code is tide to motherboard. If that disk gets re-install a lot that may cause a problems. At activation you may be prompt to call MS and explain. You could make a "recovery image disk" of the finish installation that his been activated. then that way you won't get prompt to call MS. But that is illegal so I can't advise you to do that.

You should always make a recovery disk anyway. It will make live easier.
    http://revision3.com/systm/backups

gonna head out to compusa and pick up a copy of the xp oem all i can afford right now gonna use my ipod to jump the drivers over to mp pc then put them on the floppy
    edited December 2009
    Trollby wrote: »
    The disk doesn't matter, what does matter is your code. But it has to be the same version (Vista home, Ultimate, XP Pro or home etc.)

I have done this many times for friends that get a built PC and get the crappy bloated OS from vendors .

I just take my clean M$ OS disk and use their OS key when doing the re-install.

Just remember to copy all your personal data since it will be gone on re install since reformat is the best option to clean everything up.

Ops. He is right. Use the XP product key on the sticker on your old machine. When it ask for the Product Key enter the code from your old machine. I'm sorry. I knew this and did it last last year for and friend.
    edited December 2009
    gonna head out to compusa and pick up a copy of the xp oem all i can afford right now gonna use my ipod to jump the drivers over to mp pc then put them on the floppy

NOOOOOO. Wait.
    If your friend has a "XP Retail" disk you can use XP Product Key on the sticker on your old machine. When it ask for the Product Key enter the code from your old machine. I'm sorry. I knew this and did it last last year for and friend. This is legal.
    edited December 2009
    NOOOOOO. Wait.
    If your friend has a "XP Retail" disk you can use XP Product Key on the sticker on your old machine. When it ask for the Product Key enter the code from your old machine. I'm sorry. I knew this and did it last last year for and friend. This is legal.

tried everone i knew and no one had it so went out and had to buy windows 7 64 bit oem are the install insturctions the same and/or can i skip the floppy disc step
    edited December 2009
    tried everone i knew and no one had it so went out and had to buy windows 7 64 bit oem are the install insturctions the same and/or can i skip the floppy disc step
    Good Windows 7 is much easier to install. No floppy needed.
    edited December 2009
    This video covers basic installation of Windows 7. It does not cover chipset and driver install.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEt1l6gOws
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDp1zKML08

After installing Windows 7
    1. Install Chipset drivers for Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. Reboot. You should have already download them from MB manufacture website.

2. Install GPU, Monitor, Network Drivers. Note Windows 7 may have already install the Network Drivers. Only re-start if the pc ask you to.

3. Install all internal hardware drivers. If you don't have a driver Windows 7 update may be able to find them for you. Reboot if ask.

4. Run Windows Update. Reboot if ask. There is currently no SP for Windows 7.

5. Finish

You can now install everything else.
    edited December 2009
    This video covers basic installation of Windows 7. It does not cover chipset and driver install.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEt1l6gOws
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDp1zKML08

After installing Windows 7
    1. Install Chipset drivers for Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. Reboot. You should have already download them from MB manufacture website.

2. Install GPU, Monitor, Network Drivers. Note Windows 7 may have already install the Network Drivers. Only re-start if the pc ask you to.

3. Install all internal hardware drivers. If you don't have a driver Windows 7 update may be able to find them for you. Reboot if ask.

4. Run Windows Update. Reboot if ask. There is currently no SP for Windows 7.

5. Finish

You can now install everything else.

White Knight on be half of myself and everyone else i want to thank you for all your hard work got the new rig up and running and its noticably faster then the old one.
    edited December 2009
    White Knight on be half of myself and everyone else i want to thank you for all your hard work got the new rig up and running and its noticably faster then the old one.

Good. Have fun.
    edited December 2009
    You have a integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE chip. Not good for gaming. The good news is your system should have a 300 W PSU and a free PCIE X16 slot. I would recommend getting a ATI HD 4650 or 4670. They only need 300 W to run. Now next month the new ATI 5650 and 5670 should be out. The will replace the other cards. These cards should let you play at med/high. If cash is tight try a 3650 it a little dated but should work nicely.

If you want a better GPU you would need to replace the PSU. A GTS 250 or ATI 5570 will needs a 450 W PSU with a 6 pin PCIE cable. A GTX 260 a 550 W PSU and 2 PCIE cables.

Now the MB is a ASUS M2N68-LA. But there are four versions of this board. The Narra-GL8E, Narra2-GL8E, Narra3-GL8E and I forgot the other one. If you want to upgrade the CPU (STO you are OK) you will need to open the PC to see which one. That will tell use what CPU's can be uses. The Narra3-GL8E is the one we are hoping for since it is a AM2+ socket which can support Phenom I cpus. The other three boards are only AM2.

I'm sorry - but at the moment cannot go into extensive search for a graphic card so have quick question and maybe solution to my problems! A friend have GeForce 8600 GT he don't need it's this second one:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html

Will that be enough?
    edited December 2009
    I have read earlier on in this thread that yes that would be enough to run STO, however you will not be running on high, but from Low to Mid range settings.
    edited December 2009
    Is my nvidea geforce 8400 GS good enough for this game??

I think this might work?
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6800 @ 2.93GHz, 2933 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
    1st SLI
    Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
    Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
    2nd SLI
    with a
    AGEIA PhysX 100 Series PCI Card
    PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Description Local Fixed Disk
    File System NTFS
    Size 2.73 TB (3,000,206,618,624 bytes)
    Free Space 2.63 TB (2,895,743,840,256 bytes)
    :cool:
    edited December 2009
    Just curious if STO is going to benefit from Crossfire or SLI setups. The only other MMO I have played is WoW, and it did not. Wondering if I should throw a second card in my machine and my wife's machine to get a little extra life out of them. I am running a Radeon HD 4850 1gb and she is running a Radeon HD 5750. Since they are both rated as "medium" cards would it be worth crossfiring the both of them?

In my case, since I'm the one with the 4850, should I try to find a second identical card when I can get a 5750 for the same price? Would there be any detriment to running two different generations of cards in crossfire? Should the 5750 go in the first PCI-E slot and the 4850 in the second? Or should I just try and nab a second, identical Sapphire 4850? A few stores still have my model.

Thanks for any insight.
    edited December 2009
    I'm sorry - but at the moment cannot go into extensive search for a graphic card so have quick question and maybe solution to my problems! A friend have GeForce 8600 GT he don't need it's this second one:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html

Will that be enough?
    Yes, you should be able to run at .ow/med. Make sure your PSU can power it.
    edited December 2009
    j2es wrote:
    I think this might work?
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6800 @ 2.93GHz, 2933 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
    1st SLI
    2nd SLI
    with a
    AGEIA PhysX 100 Series PCI Card
    PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Description Local Fixed Disk
    File System NTFS
    Size 2.73 TB (3,000,206,618,624 bytes)
    Free Space 2.63 TB (2,895,743,840,256 bytes)
    :cool:
    You're good should play at high
    edited December 2009
    i Have Just Pre-ordered the Game and just Bought a new can you please tell me if STO will work with this card NVIDIA GeForce 6200 512MB

if any one knows

please please reply
    edited December 2009
    1988paul wrote: »
    i Have Just Pre-ordered the Game and just Bought a new can you please tell me if STO will work with this card NVIDIA GeForce 6200 512MB

if any one knows

please please reply

Why did you buy a 3 yrs old card? No it will not play STO. You should ask these questions before spending money.

http://www.startrekonline.com/faq#19

Non Gaming Graphic Cards:
    ATI HD 3200 – 3500, 4200 - 4500 series cards.
    Nvidia Geforce G 100, G 120, G 210, 6000 – 6500 GT/GS, 7000 - 7500 GT/GS, 8000 - 8500 GT/GS, 9000-9550 GT/GS series cards.
    Anything with Intel graphics.

Graphic Gaming cards:
    Entry level:
    ATI HD 4650 and 4670 cards only needs a 400 W PSU.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 240 needs a 350 W PSU
    Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT needs a 400 W PSU.
    All four of these cards usually do not need a 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level med. Price ranges on these cards are under $100.00. The ATI's usually a better choice here on a price/performance.

Mid Level:
    ATI HD 4850,4890, 5750, 5770 and the Nvidia 9800 GT, 9800 GTX, GTS 250 needs a 450 to 500 W PSU with one 6 pin PCIE cable. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level High. Price Range: $100-230.00.

High End:
    ATI HD 5850, 5870, 5970. Nvidia GTX 260, 275, 295 needs a 550 to 750 W PSU with two 6 pin or 1 6pin and 1 8 pin PCIE cables. Always check the box for system requirements.
    STO Gaming level Very High. Price Range: $250.00-600.00.
    edited December 2009
    does STO utilize the four cores in quad-core processors?
    edited December 2009
    edited December 2009
    What about the GT220, I asked this because I was looking at one and was not sure if it would be enough
    edited December 2009
    Laramie wrote: »
    What about the GT220, I asked this because I was looking at one and was not sure if it would be enough

There's a little link on the top right of every thread that is titled "search this thread". Oh look, here's what I found. It would have saved time to try this yourself. ;) There is a lot of content in this thread if people just take the time to do a quick and easy look...
    NVIDIA GT 220 is fine.
    For NVIDIA, I'd go at least 220, as that's double the fillrate of your 210. But for quality gaming without lag and decent;y high graphics, I'd go with at least a 240. That 7950 they mention as minimum requirement has 13.4 GT/sec vs. the 210 with 4.7 GT/sec. Their minimum is high, but that should give you an idea of how underpowered the 210 is.
    Yeah, I know everyone wants to save money these days. No worries. That 220 will work with STO and let you play it. In the future, when you do have a bigger budget, I'd upgrade that video card before doing anything else.
    edited December 2009
    edited December 2009
    Trollby wrote: »

Not a bad chart. It will save on some the research.
    edited December 2009
    just got my money back on my 6200 AGP NVIDIA card and would like some one to recommend a card from this list most are in my prices range and sum are just pushing my price range of about £70/$100
    GT220 PCI-E NVIDIA
    256MB GeF 8400GS PCI-E 2.0
    512MB GeF 8400GS SUPER
    512MB GeF 8400GS SILENT PCI-E 2.0
    512MB GeF 9400GT PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    512MB GeF 210 HDMI PCIE2.0 FAN
    512MB GeF 210 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    512MB GeF 9500GT SUPER PCI-E 2.0
    512MB GeF 9500GT MAGIC PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    512MB GeF 9500GT BRAVO PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    512MB GEF GT 220 SONIC PCI-E 2.0 GDDR3 HDMI
    1GB GeF 9500GT PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    1GB GeF 9600GSO SMART PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    256MB RADEON HD 4350 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    512MB RADEON HD 3450 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    512MB RADEON HD 4550 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    1GB RADEON HD 4350 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    512MB RADEON HD 4650 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    1GB RADEON HD 4650 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    1GB RADEON HD 4670 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI
    i am looking to buy a new PC that dose Have PCI-E Ports. I brought the APG card for my currant system and I Just need a recommendation on one or more of theses card for my new system that i am looking to get. my apologizes for the lack of info on my first post :o
This discussion has been closed.