test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hey, what is the difference between the 200 series and the others for NVIDIA Geforce? is the 280 simmilar to the 8800 or 9800 or something else?

Oh and I am having trouble finding one that is PCI. THey all seem to be PCI Express.
    edited November 2009
    Hey, what is the difference between the 200 series and the others for NVIDIA Geforce? is the 280 simmilar to the 8800 or 9800 or something else?

Oh and I am having trouble finding one that is PCI. THey all seem to be PCI Express.

You are not going to find any of today's "gaming cards" on PCI. On APG you'll find ATI 4670's. Everything else is PCIE. GTS 250 is 10% fast then 9800 GTX.

If your system does have a PCIE slot then you most likely don't have a dual-core processor. They are require to play this game.
    edited November 2009
    Sublime wrote: »
    Im sure it's been mentioned but Champions Online is free to play till monday 11/30. Give it a try and see if your system can take it. It's the closet thing to the STO engine that you can test on that I know of.

Ok got the demo downloaded. Spent some time running around Millennium city. There didn't seem to be too many other players around so not sure how that would effect my results. At max settings running at 1280x720 I am consistently getting 50+ FPS. My specs:

2.33 GHZ C2D
    8800 GT 1GB superclocked edition
    2 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ ram
    SATA 3 HDD
    Vista Home premium

As a previous poster mentioned this may be the same engine that STO will use but is not entirely an accurate gauge as to how STO will run on your system. On a side note, does anyone that plays CO regularly get pretty bad lag at the starting area? I was getting pretty bad lag+rubber banding. This is on a 3mbps DSL connection.
    edited November 2009

I have found some pci graphic crads at this site:

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Graphics-Video-Cards-/3762/i.html?Interface=PCI&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2466&_catref=1&_dmpt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1
    edited November 2009
    You are not going to fine any of today's "gaming cards" on PCI. On APG you'll find ATI 4670's. Everything else is PCIE. GTS 250 is 10% fast then 9800 GTX.

If your system does have a PCIE slot then you most likely don't have a dual-core processor. They are require to play this game.

Silly me, It DOES have it. everything is right except the power supply is 250 not 400.
    edited November 2009
    Silly me, It DOES have it. everything is right except the power supply is 250 not 400.
    Replace the PSU.
    edited November 2009
    Ok got the demo downloaded. Spent some time running around Millennium city. There didn't seem to be too many other players around so not sure how that would effect my results. At max settings running at 1280x720 I am consistently getting 50+ FPS. My specs:

2.33 GHZ C2D
    2 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ ram
    SATA 3 HDD
    Vista Home premium

As a previous poster mentioned this may be the same engine that STO will use but is not entirely an accurate gauge as to how STO will run on your system. On a side note, does anyone that plays CO regularly get pretty bad lag at the starting area? I was getting pretty bad lag+rubber banding. This is on a 3mbps DSL connection.

I had to lower my in game resolution to 1280x720 to be able to play this game. I also disable the comic outline and Nvidia Threaded Optimization. This game is now manageable, those I still get kick out every once in a while.

I also reduce AA to 4x and lower of other video setting. I may have to play with the video setting some more. It's most likely my ISP. My system should be able to run this a high easy but the ISP must be able to handle the packets.
    edited November 2009
    How about these Specs?:
    AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz
    NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB
    2GB RAM
    All in a computer that is only £270.
    edited November 2009
    How about these Specs?:
    NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB
    2GB RAM
    All in a computer that is only £270.

Also is a NVIDIA GT220 512Mb better than a NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB?
    edited November 2009
    Hello again all, regarding my previous post in this thread where I said I wanted to buy a Sony Vaio VGNFW590 Nebula, ignore that.

I found a better deal at Office Depot for a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6986. After checking Futuremark.com and Notebookcheck.net and Productwiki.com for processor and graphics cards comparisons, I came to the conclusion that the Toshiba offered a better bargain (and $300 cheaper too!)

Manufacturer # PSAT3U-00X002
    processor brand Intel
    processor model Core 2 Duo
    screen resolution 1366 x 768
    operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    processor speed 2.2 GHz
    frontside bus speed 800 MHz
    memory 4 GB, up to 8 GB total available
    memory speed PC3-6400
    memory type DDR3 SDRAM
    video graphics nVidia GeForce GT 230M with 1GB dedicated memory, up to 2.8 GB total

I have no idea what kind of sound card, but at least the Harman/Kardon speakers are nice. Can I really add memory to the graphics card or did I read that wrong?

Thanks to White Knight and Cipher Nemo for all your help to the clueless!
    edited November 2009
    I will be able to play STO just fine. My pc has 8800 SLi and I was wondering if cryptic is thinking of supporting SLi at all?
    edited November 2009
    Those of you worried about being able to install and run STO, please visit www.canirunit.com. With STO listed, this will test your system to determine if, indeed, you meet both the minimum requirements as well as the recommended.
    edited November 2009
    (...)I came to the conclusion that the Toshiba offered a better bargain (and $300 cheaper too!)

video graphics nVidia GeForce GT 230M with 1GB dedicated memory, up to 2.8 GB total

I have no idea what kind of sound card, but at least the Harman/Kardon speakers are nice. Can I really add memory to the graphics card or did I read that wrong?

No problem, happy to help. You didn't read that wrong, but what it really means is that the additional memory can be dedicated to it from the system memory (with DX10 and above). Unfortunately STO is being released as DX9 only, so you'll only be able to use 1GB to store graphic textures. But don't fret, 1GB is plenty.

Even though the 230M is low-end for the 200 series, it should still get the job done with STO. You might have to fiddle with graphics settings to get it smooth, but should work. Laptops are never the ideal platform for gaming, and the gaming models that can comes comes to desktop performance are far too expensive. So it's a decent compromise. Your CPU, memory, and everything else are fine.
    edited November 2009
    desposa wrote: »
    I will be able to play STO just fine. My pc has 8800 SLi and I was wondering if cryptic is thinking of supporting SLi at all?

SLI is supported by the O/S and drivers. It's not a "does this game support it" question. It's a "does this game take advantage of it" or "does this game have any hiccups with it" question. If you're not running an extremely high resolution, chances are, you'll probably only get a 10 to 30% performance boost from games not optimized for multiple video cards in SLI or Crossfire.

So yes, your SLI setup should work with STO. :)
    edited November 2009
    Is this any good?
    NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB
    2GB RAM
    edited November 2009
    Is this any good?
    NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB
    2GB RAM

Processor and memory are fine. Video card might be ok, but you'd have to turn down settings a bit.

If you want smoother gameplay when STO is released, I'd encourage you to upgrade to a GTS 250 for $135 or a 9800 GT for $109.
    edited November 2009
    Those of you worried about being able to install and run STO, please visit www.canirunit.com. With STO listed, this will test your system to determine if, indeed, you meet both the minimum requirements as well as the recommended.
    Don't look at that site as a a guarantee though. It told me I can't run Rome: Total War...which I happen to play almost every day, and run it very well on max settings :confused:

Also, something is a bit off with this thing when it tells me I can run Crysis: Warhead, but NOT STO....
    edited November 2009
    Don't look at that site as a a guarantee though. It told me I can't run Rome: Total War...which I happen to play almost every day, and run it very well on max settings :confused:

Also, something is a bit off with this thing when it tells me I can run Crysis: Warhead, but NOT STO....

The reason why you and I and anyone else fails is because they haven't add Windows 7 to their "OS Minimum". Champion Online will fail because of that. The hardware will pass, you will just not get the cool pass graphic. I have emailed them 4 times on this.
    edited November 2009
    The reason why you and I and anyone else fails is because they haven't add Windows 7 to their "OS Minimum". Champion Online will fail because of that. The hardware will pass, you will just not get the cool pass graphic. I have emailed them 4 times on this.

Yeah.

And for Firefox, you need the latest version of Java installed. I love Firefox and Javascript, but I hate Java. They should really have this in Flash, an add-on for Firefox, or even their own executable instead of a Java app. And for IE, I'd never want to run it since ActiveX is always going to be one gaping security hole.

So if you use Firefox, Opera, or Safari, you're out of luck unless you want the bloated Java engine on your PC.
    edited November 2009
    this new system is sooo going to pay off, got my preorder done, now its just a waiting game, since unfortuantly i didnt get the closed beta invite i was hoping for, oh well open betas just around the corner.
    edited November 2009
    Hello again all, regarding my previous post in this thread where I said I wanted to buy a Sony Vaio VGNFW590 Nebula, ignore that.

I found a better deal at Office Depot for a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6986. After checking Futuremark.com and Notebookcheck.net and Productwiki.com for processor and graphics cards comparisons, I came to the conclusion that the Toshiba offered a better bargain (and $300 cheaper too!)

Manufacturer # PSAT3U-00X002
    processor brand Intel
    processor model Core 2 Duo
    screen resolution 1366 x 768
    operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    processor speed 2.2 GHz
    frontside bus speed 800 MHz
    memory 4 GB, up to 8 GB total available
    memory speed PC3-6400
    memory type DDR3 SDRAM

With Cipher Nemo on the East Coast in me on the West Coast we got pretty good coverage.
    edited November 2009
    With Cipher Nemo on the East Coast in me on the West Coast we got pretty good coverage.

Indeed. :) I used to live close to you out there in Sunnyvale, CA. I was in Hayward, Fremont, then San Mateo. Worked all over the place from as far north as Berkeley to as far south as San Jose.
    edited December 2009
    Indeed. :) I used to live close to you out there in Sunnyvale, CA. I was in Hayward, Fremont, then San Mateo. Worked all over the place from as far north as Berkeley to as far south as San Jose.
    I'm from the bayarea. I did lived in Florida for 10 yrs. I don't know how people can live in cold climate areas. I almost took a job in Kansas City. I would freeze in PA. ;)

I spend the first 2 yrs of my life in Hayward then moved to San Jose.
    edited December 2009
    I'm from the bayarea. I did lived in Florida for 10 yrs. I don't know how people can live in cold climate areas. I almost took a job in Kansas City. I would freeze in PA. ;)

I spend the first 2 yrs of my life in Hayward then moved to San Jose.

Ah, lol. Yeah, after living in California for 8 years, I grew to dislike the single digit and lower temperatures! Those periods in the winter are purely hibernation days, lol. But I did miss seeing the change of seasons on the west coast. So it's a give and take. :(

San Jose is great. You're right in the heart (or rather next to it) for Silicon Valley and all of those tech jobs. I loved living in the bay area in the 90s when the dot coms flourished. Glad I'm not there during the recession.

On subject, though, I doubt any NVIDIA 6 series cards will work with STO due to shader limitations (discovered that today).
    edited December 2009

2.33 GHZ C2D
    2 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ ram
    SATA 3 HDD
    Vista Home premium

Need help deciding on my next upgrade. I'd like to be at 60+ FPS. IYO new proc (looking at 3.0ghz C2D or 2.83 C2Q), or new video card (GTX 285 or HD 5780)? ATM I see my CPU as the bottleneck but I'd like to hear any input.
    edited December 2009
    the Radeon HD 4600 and up will work on sto. if you really need to know what you need for your computer on this link:

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/intro.aspx

im not sure if someone already posted it and if they did then this is a refresher lol.
    edited December 2009
    Hi all,

I got the new laptop Friday (HP dv8t). Specs are:
    18" screen at 1920 x 1080
    Intel Core i7 820 Q (that's a step up from the base i7)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 230m
    8 GB memory
    1 TB hard drive

According to: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/
    my laptop not only will play STO but it exceeds the recommended specs (although the site goofs on the processor still)

HOWEVER, according to: http://www.yougamers.com
    my laptop WILL NOT play STO! Argv! :eek:
    It complains that my processor does not meet the performance requirements which I find very hard to believe and the graph shows my processor being above what is needed.

But for the graphics card it shows on the graph that mine is slightly below what is needed.

I played the free trial of Champions Online over the weekend. On recommended settings it crawled at about 10 fps, but I could tweak the settings to get almost the same appearance and get around 30 fps. On those same settings sometimes it would go into the 40s and 50s fps. This was all at 1920 x 1080. Any other resolution looked like something from the 80s.

I paid way too much for this laptop to surf the net. The only reason I bumped the specs up was because of STO. I really love everything about it. The screen is amazing. The feel of it is fantastic. My other choices would be Alienware but the 17x doesn't have the core i7 yet. I could go for the 15x (Nvidia 260m) or the HP Envy 15 (ATI 4830) but both of those obviously have smaller screens. I really do like at least 17 inch screens. So my desire is to keep this laptop. i do love it, but this latest website result is leaving me with doubts.

I don't know desktop graphic cards at all so it's hard for me to get a feel for how high end the game requirements really are.

Advice welcome! Many thanks!
    edited December 2009
    Need help deciding on my next upgrade. I'd like to be at 60+ FPS. IYO new proc (looking at 3.0ghz C2D or 2.83 C2Q), or new video card (GTX 285 or HD 5780)? ATM I see my CPU as the bottleneck but I'd like to hear any input.

Sorry, I don't want to call you out but 60+ FPS is one of my favorite arguments.

I love going to Newegg and such and listening to the bragging about getting 90 FPS on WoW or whatever other game.

Just as an FYI, getting 60+ FPS is completely pointless and a waste of your money since your eyes can only see an equivalent maximum of 60 FPS.

In other words if you're getting, say 80 FPS, on your output, you're not even seeing 1 in 4 of the frames your monitor is displaying.

Sorry, like I said, this wasn't directed at you Sublime, just the generic idea of shooting for "60+ FPS"
    edited December 2009
    Which processor is better?

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q9400
    or
    AMD Phenom™ II X4 820 2.8GHz, 6MB
This discussion has been closed.