test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Disapppointed that I can't play this game, the only thing stopping it is my GFX card 7600 GT :(

Your 7600 GT card should be fine at lower resolutions. If you want higher graphic settings and higher resolution gameplay, then I'd upgrade. Otherwise, just to run the game, I know the 7600 GT will be fine. Their initial system requirements of an NVIDIA 7950 is way too high compared to the other cards they included it with.
    edited November 2009
    Good to know the new system I built will handle the game no problem.

This might sound weird, and maybe would be a better question in a different thread or forum, but will we be able to use other input devices besides the keyboard and mouse to navigate in the game?
    edited November 2009
    Noooooooooooooooo I Cant Run It!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited November 2009
    What's your specs?
    edited November 2009
    What's your specs?

Let me guess, still trying to squeeze more like out of that IBM PS/2 with Star Trek the Text Adventure game? ;)

Seriously, specs please. You might be able to run it as their minimum specs are a little off in my opinion.
    edited November 2009
    What's the "service tag #"? This will let me see the exact specs and updates from Dell. Don't post the serial number.

Tag is 5R25PC1. I've tried this and my results were xps 9200 series.
    Go ahead and give it a shot you might have better luck than I.
    edited November 2009
    epsmith wrote:
    Tag is 5R25PC1. I've tried this and my results were xps 9200 series.
    Go ahead and give it a shot you might have better luck than I.

Your Dell is a XPS/Dimension 410/9200 (Go to this site and run the Current System Configuration Tab and post it. You'll need to do this with IE.) It MB is believe to be a Dell - OWG855. This MB is made especially for Dell. The problem is that pre-made PC are by designs not to be upgradable. All manufactures (Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, and Sony) do this. They don’t want you upgrade; they want you to buy a new system. The motherboard must be able to support new hardware. Usually a BIOS update will fix this. These manufactures will only release a BIOS update to fix problems or if they want to use the same MB to build a new product line.

Most of the times they are using an ASUS motherboard. They’re a special non-retail board, but they are usually base on a retail MB. In which case we could use a BIOS update from the same family and it will work. Try downloading CPU-Z. It will tell us exactly what MB and BIOS you have. Use the "no install" version. Close all programs before running this app. It might freeze your system if you have too many programs running. Look under the Mainboard tab and post.

Now I found one post that had the same with PC and MB added a Q6600 and it work. See link. So adding an E8600 is a try at your own risk. If you are going to try this, updating your BIOS will improve your chances. The current BIOS update is Version:2.5.3.

Make sure to follow Dell instruction exactly.

Also, the PSU needs to support the GPU. The MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr requires 450w minimum PSU with a 24 amps on the 12v line 6pin PCIE cable. Make sure you have this. Now since your system came with a 7900 GPU I am going to assume that your have 1 PCIE x16 v1.0 slot. This MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr is a PCIE v2.0 card. This card is backward compatible.
    edited November 2009
    Let me guess, still trying to squeeze more like out of that IBM PS/2 with Star Trek the Text Adventure game? ;)

Seriously, specs please. You might be able to run it as their minimum specs are a little off in my opinion.
    That good, huh?:D
    edited November 2009
    LOL. Interesting that you mention that publicly. I wouldn't give them a dime for Vista, and would never use it. But for Windows 7, Microsoft actually listened to users and developers alike this time. If you want Windows 7, either get an RC-1 copy for free (from someone who still has it), since that's "legal" until June of 2010 when it deactivates itself (shuts down every 2 hours a little before that time). Otherwise, just buy Windows 7 Pro... don't need Ultimate unless you want Bitlock encryption (which is better from 3rd parties anyways).

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines. Thank you, Dionaea

I think it's always so odd that windows comes with like 3 4 version of windows. Each one more expensive than the other and the user wondering which one to get. As they don't wanna pay to much for something they don't use, but they do wanna have the stuff they need.

Mac in this way is more friendly, u have one version and every mac comes with all the things from that version and if u want they will pre-install some things for u. Like Iwork or something else u would like to chose from. Myself I got Ilife (which is standerd for a mac to have), Iwork, CS4 Mastersuite and some other applications.
    edited November 2009
    Anyone familure with the AMD Phenom II 550 Black Edition?
    edited November 2009
    All,

Last night I took delivery of my new notebook, a Toshiba Qosmio X505. I'm quite happy with it so far, though even I'm surprised by just how truly massive it is. I'm forcing myself out of the habit of using the term "laptop" because, at 18.4 inches of screen, it just seems ludicrous. My question, though, is with regards to the Core i7 720QM processor.

I'm comfortable that this processor will be able to run STO given its designed overclocking. My understanding from my pre-purchase research is that this function activates automatically; in theory, after I've installed the game on February 2nd, I activate the launcher and the Core i7 automatically configures itself to achieve the requisite Ghz. Is this so? Is there something I need to be doing, now or then, to ensure the Core i7 is appropriate operating?

For context, this laptop includes a GeForce GTS 250M GPU with 1GB of DDR5 and 4GB of DDR3 RAM.

Great thanks,
    Becca
    edited November 2009
    epsmith wrote:
    Anyone familure with the AMD Phenom II 550 Black Edition?

thats the oneim goning to put on my new build how do you like it ?
    edited November 2009
    All,

Last night I took delivery of my new notebook, a Toshiba Qosmio X505. I'm quite happy with it so far, though even I'm surprised by just how truly massive it is. I'm forcing myself out of the habit of using the term "laptop" because, at 18.4 inches of screen, it just seems ludicrous. My question, though, is with regards to the Core i7 720QM processor.

I'm comfortable that this processor will be able to run STO given its designed overclocking. My understanding from my pre-purchase research is that this function activates automatically; in theory, after I've installed the game on February 2nd, I activate the launcher and the Core i7 automatically configures itself to achieve the requisite Ghz. Is this so? Is there something I need to be doing, now or then, to ensure the Core i7 is appropriate operating?

For context, this laptop includes a GeForce GTS 250M GPU with 1GB of DDR5 and 4GB of DDR3 RAM.

Great thanks,
    Becca

The overclocking works on its own. You don't need to do anything. Your Qosmio should be a great machine for STO! Congrats!
    edited November 2009
    Kelesh wrote: »
    thats the oneim goning to put on my new build how do you like it ?

I'm thinking about building one myself.
    I was wondering if anybody else had played with one yet.
    I like the fact thatyou can unlock 2 disabled cores and turn it into a X4 if you use a gigabyte mobo and reflash the bios also I've been reading that it's super easy to oc. You can get x4 core for x2 price.
    edited November 2009
    I realize that you are probably going to laugh at my specs but here they are anyway.
    2.8ghz HT P4
    1gb RAM
    256mb Nvidia GeForce 62000

From my understanding P4s with hyper threading acted like a dual core. I understand that it is not as fast as a true dual core but since the CPU speed is a ghz above the stated requirement for a core 2 duo I think it would be ok at the lower resolutions. Am I right?

Next, my video card. I intend to by a newer computer in the near future so I'm just wondering if it can handle the game at a lower resolution until I purchase it.

The only thing on my computer which is not suckish is the 7200rpm 1tb hard drive which I would probably move over to the new system anyway. Which brings up another question. Is purchasing the software license based or can I install it however many times I want? Once on the old and than once again on the new?
    edited November 2009
    umaxtu wrote: »
    I realize that you are probably going to laugh at my specs but here they are anyway.
    2.8ghz HT P4
    1gb RAM
    256mb Nvidia GeForce 62000

From my understanding P4s with hyper threading acted like a dual core. I understand that it is not as fast as a true dual core but since the CPU speed is a ghz above the stated requirement for a core 2 duo I think it would be ok at the lower resolutions. Am I right?

Next, my video card. I intend to by a newer computer in the near future so I'm just wondering if it can handle the game at a lower resolution until I purchase it.

The only thing on my computer which is not suckish is the 7200rpm 1tb hard drive which I would probably move over to the new system anyway. Which brings up another question. Is purchasing the software license based or can I install it however many times I want? Once on the old and than once again on the new?

I think since the game doesn't play without a subscription nobody would care how many computers you put it on especially if you're the only one using the two of them.

I would suggest using this site to have it analyze your system. It will tell you if you can play STO:
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Best of luck!
    edited November 2009
    It says that my video card won't work yet it meets all of required features so i think thats cool. And it says my trusty P4 isn't compatible. So it looks like it may work may not. Is there going to be a trial so that I can try b4 I buy?
    edited November 2009
    It says that my video card won't work yet it meets all of required features so i think thats cool. And it says my trusty P4 isn't compatible. So it looks like it may work may not.

I believe that site measures both features and performance, but that's only my thought. I've gone to the site on several computers and have also seen instances where it passes on features but still fails the card. So I'd have to assume it's for actual performance reasons.

Maybe this is a good thing if you were trying to rationalize a new purchase. hehe
    edited November 2009
    well after realizing my p4 3.4 wasnt up to the task anymore i ordered a new rig after 5 years, lol

i7 920
    6gigs ddr3 triple channel
    nvidia 260 gtx 1.8gig
    edited November 2009
    Did not realize that this is going to run on Macs. Guess I know what I'm asking for for Christmas.
    edited November 2009
    Rocketeer wrote: »
    Did not realize that this is going to run on Macs. Guess I know what I'm asking for for Christmas.

Don't confuse Apple hardware with MacOS. STO will not run on MacOS, but it will run on some Apple hardware with BootCamp and a copy of Windows.
    edited November 2009
    Thing is I have a bunch of optiplex gx270s sitting around in my basement so if the one i'm using dies. I just swap the HD and video card over and plug the new one in even with windows.
    edited November 2009
    Thing is I have a bunch of optiplex gx270s sitting around in my basement so if the one i'm using dies. I just swap the HD and video card over and plug the new one in even with windows.

Ouch. Unfortunately Dell Optiplex GX270 PCs won't cut it for retail games today, let alone STO.
    edited November 2009
    Ouch. Unfortunately Dell Optiplex GX270 PCs won't cut it for retail games today, let alone STO.

I know. But you have to admit having the ability to move the hard drive over to another machine when the first one dies and just powering it up and get back to work without reloading the OS is slick. Now with linux u can do it with 2 completely different systems. I wish Windows 7 added that feature.
    edited November 2009
    I know. But you have to admit having the ability to move the hard drive over to another machine when the first one dies and just powering it up and get back to work without reloading the OS is slick. Now with linux u can do it with 2 completely different systems. I wish Windows 7 added that feature.

Indeed. :) Alternatively, just buy top brands and models for hardware that last 3-5 years each. ;) Then you'd never have to worry about it until your next upgrade. Companies such as EVGA, BFG, and XFX have lifetime warranties for their top-end models.

I've only ever had to make use of one of these warranties with an 8800 GTX that went bad in the past. But that card was driven hard with tons of gaming side-by-side with another 8800 GTX for SLI for 2.5 years. EVGA replaced it without any problems, and fairly quickly too.

Right now, my EVGA GTX 295 video card and EVGA X58 A1 motherboard are under a lifetime warranty with cross-ship (paid a minor amount ahead of time to have them ship me one in advanced if mine dies). My drives from Western Digital have a 5-year warranty, and my OCZ Vertex SSD drives Samsung monitors have 3 years. So I'm pretty well covered.

But yeah, it's nice to have parts to swap in when you want with all of those Optiplex PCs sitting around in your basement, lol. If I had those sitting around, I'd say to heck with it and just run those P4 CPUs on insane phase-change cooling to see what I could get out of them for speeds. ;)
    edited November 2009
    Can this run STO?
    Intel (R) Celeron (R) D 3.33 GHz
    3.00 GB DDR2 Ram
    512 DDR 2 Radeon x300/x550

Thats what I got in my system all new too just had it made.:confused:
    edited November 2009
    Rekhan wrote:
    We just updated the FAQ, but wanted to call it out here, as well. Star Trek Online's system requirements are as follows:
    System Requirements
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Memory: 1GB RAM Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM Recommended System Configuration
    OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+ Memory: 2GB RAM+ Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+ Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Link to the news article.

:mad: This system requirement is a bit oversized for the graphics I think. I've seen better graphics for single core P4 and older video cards with Pixel Shader 2.0. The project will finally fall because it's available for a community too narrow.
    edited November 2009
    Deeku wrote: »
    ... Yet, I am still using it now. I accept that my computer is too much of a piece of **** to run this game. With minor upgrades or not, yall should start accepting that a 2010 game aint gonna run on your pre-2k5 systems. I also accept that my second hand, busted to hell TiBook wont run STO either.

Says you. CO and STO are running fine on my 2k3 POS PC. True I am at near wire frame graphics (j/k) ((Actually at minimum resolutions the game knocks my socks off, which when you think about it, is pretty damn good coming out an AMD Athalon64 3500+ 2.21gHz processor, 1GB with GForce 6600's))
    In computer years, my PC is a plankton, while yours is a T-Rex.:D

Whoa, I think I just re-defined the minimum specs for the games :eek:
    edited November 2009
    HFATore wrote: »
    Can this run STO?
    Intel (R) Celeron (R) D 3.33 GHz
    3.00 GB DDR2 Ram
    512 DDR 2 Radeon x300/x550

Thats what I got in my system all new too just had it made.:confused:

Your CPU might be quite slow for STO. Your video card is old too. It will probably run, but at lower graphic settings and with an un-enjoyable, laggy experience.

I'd do a complete upgrade of your PC or laptop. You can get a decent gaming system these days for $500 (without the O/S).
    edited November 2009
    Is this OK? …
    AMD Phenom X3 8550 2.22Ghz
    3GB RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce 8200
This discussion has been closed.