test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pitch for raid-like operations to come to the game.

13»

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    That personal transporter beacon (the one that, on triggering, creates a movable beacon that you can precisely position for a brief period and then instantly moves you straight to it) kit mod might very well be an excellent way to bypass the platform section (and maybe even the maze and zappy sections) of DTD assuming cryptic designed it a certain way and haven't already considered it might be used in that way and put in safeguards.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,779 Arc User
    That personal transporter beacon (the one that, on triggering, creates a movable beacon that you can precisely position for a brief period and then instantly moves you straight to it) kit mod might very well be an excellent way to bypass the platform section (and maybe even the maze and zappy sections) of DTD assuming cryptic designed it a certain way and haven't already considered it might be used in that way and put in safeguards.​​

It is too long a distance for most (and probably all) player teleport methods to bypass the trench and is rather pointless when on one of the platforms since the teleporter's pathfinding does not seem to work right with the platforms.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,348 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Also it's possible that under the hood those teleports are in fact really fast sprints, so even if you could technically reach over that distance the game won't allow it as you can't "run" over empty space. Some FF14 teleports use this method and thus they cannot be used to cross gaps in the geo even if the animation looks like it should allow it.

This could also explain why the path finding fails while on the platforms it's trying to find a path that simply isn't there to begin with.

EDIT:I need to head out now but I can make a diagram of what I mean later if people are confused with what I just typed.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,131 Arc User
    While the jumping in Dust to Dust and Tenebris Torquent can be challenging due to the multitude of things going on, let's have a look at the more simplified jumping involved in one of the raid like Borg ground TFO's that doesn't involve shooting multiple targets, retracting platforms, or being chased by a large enemy.

Jt0xRGL.jpg

As far as I can tell what is involved is resting the wrist at the edge of the keyboard and then pressing the W key to move forward with the middle finger and tapping the spacebar once with a thumb.

Summary: press one key then tap the space bar once to jump over an obstacle.

Apparently the WASD keys are widely used. In space, for example, they can be used to steer a ship and this is often done while simultaneously activating bridge officer abilities and hitting the spacebar to fire weapons, amongst other things.

Summary: press 4 WASD keys to steer ship while using another 30 or so keys for boff abilities, captain abilities, console clickies, reputation abilities, and devices while managing the throttle and tapping the space bar to fire weapons to operate a starship.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,779 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    protoneous wrote: »
    While the jumping in Dust to Dust and Tenebris Torquent can be challenging due to the multitude of things going on, let's have a look at the more simplified jumping involved in one of the raid like Borg ground TFO's that doesn't involve shooting multiple targets, retracting platforms, or being chased by a large enemy.

Jt0xRGL.jpg

As far as I can tell what is involved is resting the wrist at the edge of the keyboard and then pressing the W key to move forward with the middle finger and tapping the spacebar once with a thumb.

Apparently the WASD keys are widely used. In space, for example, they can be used to steer a ship and this is often done while simultaneously activating bridge officer abilities and hitting the spacebar to fire weapons, amongst other things.

Summary: press 4 WASD keys to steer ship while using another 30 or so keys for boff abilities, captain abilities, console clickies, reputation abilities, and devices while managing the throttle and tapping the space bar to fire weapons to operate a starship.

Some people just use the mouse and space bar, two hands are better than one.

Sarcasm aside, you description needs to be amended slightly. The real summary is: press one key then tap the space bar once and at random times nothing happens when you tap it. Then quickly tap it again and hopefully get the server's attention this time before the platform retracts out from under you, but it is probably too late by then.

Another "fun" one is the same up until the "tap the space bar" step ,and this time it works, only to hit an invisible wall part way through the jump, which really isn't there, it is the server and your client pausing to sync back up after dead reconning because of a network glitch. When it is bad enough it becomes the dreaded "rubberbanding", at this level it is just a momentary glitch, but is enough of one to miss the next platform, especially if the server thinks you fell and so the compromise sets you just barely too low to clear the edge of that next platform.

If one of the races available in the game was a cartoon coyote then it would be the perfect scenario for it.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,494 Community Moderator
    westmetals wrote: »
    My main issue with the platform section of DTD is simply that the platforms retract so fast... even on the supposedly "easy" setting, a lot of players, including me, find it very difficult.

Yea... I think it only gives you about 8 seconds on easy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,348 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »

Jt0xRGL.jpg

Some people just use the mouse and space bar, two hands are better than one.

Sarcasm aside, you description needs to be amended slightly. The real summary is: press one key then tap the space bar once and at random times nothing happens when you tap it. Then quickly tap it again and hopefully get the server's attention this time before the platform retracts out from under you, but it is probably too late by then.

Another "fun" one is the same up until the "tap the space bar" step ,and this time it works, only to hit an invisible wall part way through the jump, which really isn't there, it is the server and your client pausing to sync back up after dead reconning because of a network glitch. When it is bad enough it becomes the dreaded "rubberbanding", at this level it is just a momentary glitch, but is enough of one to miss the next platform, especially if the server thinks you fell and so the compromise sets you just barely too low to clear the edge of that next platform.

If one of the races available in the game was a cartoon coyote then it would be the perfect scenario for it.

Well it's not just STO where this happen there's countless times in FF14 where my Miqo just walked off a platform in Gold Saucer jumping puzzle even though I pressed the space bar.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,494 Community Moderator
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Well it's not just STO where this happen there's countless times in FF14 where my Miqo just walked off a platform in Gold Saucer jumping puzzle even though I pressed the space bar.

Fellow Miqo'te. Been there, done that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.